Search found 1797 matches

by Bacchus01
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:48 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: How much money do you want to retire?
Replies: 433
Views: 54135

Re: How much money do you want to retire?

There are some absolutely beautiful LCOL (low cost of living) areas in this country. Most of the people who think they need 2-4 million live in HCOL (high cost of living) areas with high property taxes, etc. Are Denver or Portland LCOL? I can't think of a single truly LCOL area in the U.S. I would ...
by Bacchus01
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:05 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: How much money do you want to retire?
Replies: 433
Views: 54135

Re: How much money do you want to retire?

My goal was always $10M. I’m the last few years I’ve thought long and hard about $5M Lately, running I-Orp and others, seems like we need just $3.5M. We have about $2.75M today at age 44/49. We will have three pensions totaling about $45k/yr not cola, and SS of about $45k/yr. our expenses when the k...
by Bacchus01
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:55 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: HSA as retirement vehicle
Replies: 33
Views: 3384

Re: HSA as retirement vehicle

If you can cash flow it, you probably should cash flow it.

My order of investment:
- 401k pre-tax to the match
- HSA max
- 401k remainder to max
- Backdoor ROTH
- 529s
- NQ Deferred to get under tax threshold
- After-tax TSM/S&P
by Bacchus01
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:44 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: General Electric
Replies: 57
Views: 7252

Re: General Electric

No it's an opinion. Since it hasn't happened yet, it can't be a fact just yet. It may be proven "after the fact." But you could just be lucky in your prediction. That doesn't mean you get to make up things that haven't happened yet and call them facts. I'm not saying I disagree with your prediction...
by Bacchus01
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:48 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: General Electric
Replies: 57
Views: 7252

Re: General Electric

“It is very hard to predict, especially the future.” Niels Bohr That’s not a prediction. That’s a fact. No it's an opinion. Since it hasn't happened yet, it can't be a fact just yet. It may be proven "after the fact." But you could just be lucky in your prediction. That doesn't mean you get to make...
by Bacchus01
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:47 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Thanks Bogleheads - Mega Backdoor Roth FTW
Replies: 25
Views: 2508

Re: Thanks Bogleheads - Mega Backdoor Roth FTW

I've said that the Mega Backdoor was the greatest thing I every read about on Bogleheads. I wish I had understood it prior to 2007, but the totality of things I didn't know before then could fill several books. In fact it did. I also wish Megacorp had allowed putting in more to after-tax. I think i...
by Bacchus01
Wed May 30, 2018 7:31 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: General Electric
Replies: 57
Views: 7252

Re: General Electric

GE will get worse before it gets better “It is very hard to predict, especially the future.” Niels Bohr That’s not a prediction. That’s a fact. No it's an opinion. Since it hasn't happened yet, it can't be a fact just yet. It may be proven "after the fact." But you could just be lucky in your predi...
by Bacchus01
Wed May 30, 2018 7:28 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Index fund investing requires active management
Replies: 10
Views: 2320

Re: Index fund investing requires active management

Without active management outside of the index, how does the index have value?
by Bacchus01
Tue May 29, 2018 7:51 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: General Electric
Replies: 57
Views: 7252

Re: General Electric

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:36 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm
GE will get worse before it gets better
“It is very hard to predict, especially the future.” Niels Bohr

That’s not a prediction. That’s a fact.
by Bacchus01
Tue May 29, 2018 7:36 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Can we retire in 2018?
Replies: 103
Views: 9040

Re: Can we retire in 2018?

Many think they can make 200k a year then live off of a very low income in retirment. I have read 70-80% of your salary should be replaced in retirement with your investment pension ect income. Sure one can make unreal income decisions and then relize they will run out of money if the market takes ...
by Bacchus01
Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: General Electric
Replies: 57
Views: 7252

Re: General Electric

GE will get worse before it gets better
by Bacchus01
Tue May 29, 2018 5:59 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Can we retire in 2018?
Replies: 103
Views: 9040

Re: Can we retire in 2018?

Many think they can make 200k a year then live off of a very low income in retirment. I have read 70-80% of your salary should be replaced in retirement with your investment pension ect income. Sure one can make unreal income decisions and then relize they will run out of money if the market takes ...
by Bacchus01
Tue May 29, 2018 7:29 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Can we retire in 2018?
Replies: 103
Views: 9040

Re: Can we retire in 2018?

Healthcare would be a big question mark. Run it through I-Orp. Since you can essentially live SS income, you really just need to fund the next 15 years, and you can always take SS early if you get in a pinch. I think the calculator will say go for it. Before you do, consider working until your next ...
by Bacchus01
Mon May 28, 2018 1:52 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Near commercial level treadmill
Replies: 36
Views: 3110

Re: Near commercial level treadmill

My Sole F70 lasted about 4K miles.

When it died we bought another one.
by Bacchus01
Sun May 27, 2018 7:06 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Taking a pension to invest in stocks
Replies: 47
Views: 2748

Re: Taking a pension to invest in stocks

Of course his FA agrees, the FA then gets to invest more of his money.

Not enough info here. Taxation would be the big issue that could really erode his benefit.
by Bacchus01
Sat May 26, 2018 6:01 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?
Replies: 174
Views: 31911

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

After reading this thread I did an online quote for Geico. Wow! I had not previously shopped around much, but now we have a 16 year old driver on the house and our rates have skyrocketed with Allstate. Geico looks like it will be at least 60% less. Now I need to figure out homeowners. What do people...
by Bacchus01
Fri May 25, 2018 7:18 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Do I pay towards my mortgage or invest?
Replies: 45
Views: 4939

Re: Do I pay towards my mortgage or invest?

A) You're doing it wrong if you got a refund B) I'm never a fan of paying off low-interest loans of any type. The environment right now (I know, timing) is especially true. It's unlikely that you won't be able to at least break even on investing versus paying down that debt over the 30 year horizon ...
by Bacchus01
Fri May 25, 2018 7:15 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: When did this start?? [Restaurant tipping on total bill]
Replies: 58
Views: 4243

Re: When did this start??

I'm in the top 10% of income earners in the wealthiest country on the planet, and usually the person serving me food is working a crap job just to make ends meet and making less in tips in a day than I make in an hour. So I've always adopted the Dave Ramsey philosophy of being "Outrageously generou...
by Bacchus01
Fri May 25, 2018 6:17 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Parents with pre-K kids and 529 target
Replies: 50
Views: 3324

Re: Parents with pre-K kids and 529 target

I have a different approach. We fund the max allowable each year to get our state tax deduction ($3100 per person) and we do it for each of our three kids and for us. Our plan is that we will do that for the rest of our lives as long as there is a tax benefit. Why? What doesn’t get used by our kids ...
by Bacchus01
Fri May 25, 2018 6:13 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Deferred Compension tax treatment question
Replies: 21
Views: 1449

Re: Deferred Compension tax treatment question

I've been receiving deferred comp over a 15-year period that is paid in a lump sum in January and reported on a W-2. Itt is not considered "earned income" for IRS purposes, so you can't do an additional tax deferral through an IRA etc. ... Just in case you are from an aggressive tax state such as N...
by Bacchus01
Fri May 25, 2018 6:11 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: 529 vs Emergency Fund
Replies: 21
Views: 1625

Re: 529 vs Emergency Fund

I consider our Roth accounts as a part of our emergency fund. You can pull out the contributions tax-free and have access pretty quickly. If you used that thought process, I’d suggest you probably already have your emergency fund built or even overbuilt. If you don’t like that thinking, I’d still ke...
by Bacchus01
Thu May 24, 2018 10:48 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Deferred Compension tax treatment question
Replies: 21
Views: 1449

Re: Deferred Compension tax treatment question

I've been receiving deferred comp over a 15-year period that is paid in a lump sum in January and reported on a W-2. Itt is not considered "earned income" for IRS purposes, so you can't do an additional tax deferral through an IRA etc. ... Just in case you are from an aggressive tax state such as N...
by Bacchus01
Thu May 24, 2018 10:46 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Deferred Compension tax treatment question
Replies: 21
Views: 1449

Re: Deferred Compension tax treatment question

Interesting topic and frankly one I had not considered. How is deferred compensation treated if it is taken prior to retirement? Specifically I have a small amount in a NQ plan, about $10K. My plan states that if I leave the company today (I’m not 55 and 10 years service) that the plan will be liqui...
by Bacchus01
Wed May 23, 2018 3:59 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Should we max out all tax advantaged accounts?
Replies: 10
Views: 1877

Re: Should we max out all tax advantaged accounts?

Do you have an HSA? That should be a priority if available. Also, at what point do you drop to the 24% bracket? Once there, you may decide to do less tax deferred savings as you may end up in the 22/24% bracket in retirement so you aren’t really saving taxes and you may need to create more post tax ...
by Bacchus01
Tue May 22, 2018 9:38 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Quicken - Do you use it?
Replies: 59
Views: 3789

Re: Quicken - Do you use it?

I am interested in everyone's thoughts regarding Quicken and if they use (or don't use) the personal finance software. Why do you use (or not use) the program? What value does it bring? Do you use it for your entire financial picture or just your investment portfolio? I used to, but don’t anymore. ...
by Bacchus01
Tue May 22, 2018 6:08 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: If RMD are large should you still defer into 401k
Replies: 32
Views: 3394

Re: If RMD are large should you still defer into 401k

RMDs sneak up in a lot of people. I don’t have exact calc in front of me, but we’re 45 with about $1M in 401k balances. With continued contributions and growth through age 65 and no withdraws before 70, the RMD is huge! One aspect of the RMD conversation that doesnt seem to get much attention is th...
by Bacchus01
Tue May 22, 2018 6:06 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: If RMD are large should you still defer into 401k
Replies: 32
Views: 3394

Re: If RMD are large should you still defer into 401k

RMDs sneak up in a lot of people. I don’t have exact calc in front of me, but we’re 45 with about $1M in 401k balances. With continued contributions and growth through age 65 and no withdraws before 70, the RMD is huge! Depends on what you are making. In 25 years you will be in the 3-5 million real...
by Bacchus01
Tue May 22, 2018 6:02 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: "Why 97% of People Don't Use 529 College Savings Plans."
Replies: 262
Views: 50121

Re: "Why 97% of People Don't Use 529 College Savings Plans."

Realistically though just how many people make enough to fund one? I just see very very little use in doing one. You are talking about needing a minimum saving amount of 48,000 before it makes sense to save in one. On top of that many people who are able to save 48,000 per year may have after tax 4...
by Bacchus01
Mon May 21, 2018 9:13 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: When should we stop contributing to our 529?
Replies: 18
Views: 2119

Re: When should we stop contributing to our 529?

Based on your criteria, I would halt and let it ride. For us, we see the opportunity for a pseudo multigenerational education trust. We will put up to the state tax deduction for all eligible people for the rest of our life. Today that is roughly $3K per person per year. We contribute $3K for each o...
by Bacchus01
Mon May 21, 2018 5:18 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: "Why 97% of People Don't Use 529 College Savings Plans."
Replies: 262
Views: 50121

Re: "Why 97% of People Don't Use 529 College Savings Plans."

i don't understand why 529 threads always end up being so long. if you can max out your 401k, that alone puts you in the top 90th percentile of americans. add in maxing the IRA, probably bumps your into 95th percentile. add in maxing a HSA (stealth IRA) and yep, you're 97th percentile now. so if yo...
by Bacchus01
Mon May 21, 2018 5:15 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: If RMD are large should you still defer into 401k
Replies: 32
Views: 3394

Re: If RMD are large should you still defer into 401k

RMDs sneak up in a lot of people. I don’t have exact calc in front of me, but we’re 45 with about $1M in 401k balances. With continued contributions and growth through age 65 and no withdraws before 70, the RMD is huge!
by Bacchus01
Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: "Why 97% of People Don't Use 529 College Savings Plans."
Replies: 262
Views: 50121

Re: "Why 97% of People Don't Use 529 College Savings Plans."

i don't understand why 529 threads always end up being so long. if you can max out your 401k, that alone puts you in the top 90th percentile of americans. add in maxing the IRA, probably bumps your into 95th percentile. add in maxing a HSA (stealth IRA) and yep, you're 97th percentile now. so if yo...
by Bacchus01
Sun May 20, 2018 8:13 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: "Why 97% of People Don't Use 529 College Savings Plans."
Replies: 262
Views: 50121

Re: "Why 97% of People Don't Use 529 College Savings Plans."

I myself am anticipating a major shakeup in higher education that cuts costs. At some point it makes more sense to give your children a duplex that they can live in and get a sinecure from than pay for $300,000-$400,000 worth of college. I second that. Surely the model needs a major overhaul. You c...
by Bacchus01
Wed May 16, 2018 3:08 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: How to think about schools/homes (Greatschools/Niche)
Replies: 70
Views: 5130

Re: How to think about schools/homes (Greatschools/Niche)

In my neighborhood my daughter is at a 9/10 elementary, then set to go to a 8/10 middle school, and then a 5/10 high school. We have the option to enroll her in a 8/10 high school thats further away but I think I will keep her there so she can stand out more for universities/scholarships by ranking...
by Bacchus01
Wed May 16, 2018 7:24 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: How to think about schools/homes (Greatschools/Niche)
Replies: 70
Views: 5130

Re: How to think about schools/homes (Greatschools/Niche)

Great Schools is a great tool to help you narrow down some options. Most districts then have reports that show detailed data. In the Milwaukee metro there is a report that shows all the high schools with key statistics: enrollment, % receiving reduced or free lunch, minority stats, average SAT and A...
by Bacchus01
Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Wisconsin 529
Replies: 3
Views: 469

Re: Wisconsin 529

We use age-based aggressive for each of our 3 kids and my wife and I each.
by Bacchus01
Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Do you know your marginal tax rate?
Replies: 27
Views: 3206

Re: Do you know your marginal tax rate?

Quicken will give you that number. Or a simple calculation is taxes divided by total income (example $40K of taxes divided by $400K total income equals 10% which is the marginal rate for those numbers). So a single dollar is worth $.90 since 10% goes to taxes. A bit simplistic and changing variable...
by Bacchus01
Mon May 14, 2018 5:57 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: 2018 401k limit is $55K - do you max it out? Why/why not?
Replies: 110
Views: 11445

Re: 2018 401k limit is $55K - do you max it out? Why/why not?

You are very confused. You cannot put that all directly in a Roth 401k. The $18.5 limit applies to Roth and regular pre-tax 401k. There is no real reason to do after-tax 401k unless you can mega backdoor.
by Bacchus01
Mon May 14, 2018 6:38 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Are bonds really needed - why not 100% stocks?
Replies: 71
Views: 6097

Re: Are bonds really needed - why not 100% stocks?

I use very little bonds because I have the desire and ability to take on risk Bonds are also not tax efficient for me. In taxable it’s hard to find a decent tax managed fund with decent return and low fees. In tax advantaged accounts, the ERs are often many multiples of a broad S&P type fund, eating...
by Bacchus01
Sun May 13, 2018 3:32 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Subaru Crosstrek vs Outback
Replies: 32
Views: 2704

Re: Subaru Crosstrek vs Outback

OP, welcome to Colorado where the air is thin and cool, the stars are bright, and people give you room to merge on the interstate (except the ex-pats from CA:). Yes, this is the land of the Subaru and the largest dealer in the US is in Colorado Springs: [url]https://www.bestbuysubaru.com/ [url] Tha...
by Bacchus01
Sun May 13, 2018 3:30 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Subaru Crosstrek vs Outback
Replies: 32
Views: 2704

Re: Subaru Crosstrek vs Outback

Ron wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:34 am
It may be too large for you today, but you might want to look at their new offering this summer - the Subaru Ascent, in case you may need additional room in the future:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Ascent

- Ron

A single person buying a 7 passenger SUV.
Why?
by Bacchus01
Sun May 13, 2018 3:27 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Where to invest after maxing out retirement?
Replies: 21
Views: 2024

Re: Where to invest after maxing out retirement?

Too little information to even respond appropriately
by Bacchus01
Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Payoff mortgage early or save?
Replies: 27
Views: 3239

Re: Payoff mortgage early or save?

I've always felt that, unless and until you can make one lump sum payment to eliminate the mortgage, you should hold on to extra cash. The bank isn't interested in the fact that you're 12 months ahead of where you should be on your mortgage; your payment is due every month on the 1st. Lose your job...
by Bacchus01
Thu May 10, 2018 1:20 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Payoff mortgage early or save?
Replies: 27
Views: 3239

Re: Payoff mortgage early or save?

I've always felt that, unless and until you can make one lump sum payment to eliminate the mortgage, you should hold on to extra cash. The bank isn't interested in the fact that you're 12 months ahead of where you should be on your mortgage; your payment is due every month on the 1st. Lose your job...
by Bacchus01
Thu May 10, 2018 1:18 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Payoff mortgage early or save?
Replies: 27
Views: 3239

Re: Payoff mortgage early or save?

Not enough information to truly decide, and you are going to get a lot of answers regardless. It generally comes down to personal preference and risk profile. Over just about any reasonable timeframe of 15 years, it's hard to draw an argument that investing in a broad-based, low cost index fund is n...
by Bacchus01
Thu May 10, 2018 11:18 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: How much can you underwithhold this year without penalty?
Replies: 3
Views: 813

Re: How much can you underwithhold this year without penalty?

FiveK wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:53 am
Bacchus01 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:45 am
...we will likely owe $55K in taxes.

So, I can ...withhold ... $50K, and not pay a penalty?
Given the situation described, "yes".
Thanks. I like to withhold the minimum and write the check in April.
by Bacchus01
Thu May 10, 2018 9:45 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: How much can you underwithhold this year without penalty?
Replies: 3
Views: 813

How much can you underwithhold this year without penalty?

W2 employee I know the rules and using prior year tax to equate underpayment penalty for a following year, but how will it work this year? Example, we had net federal tax due of about $90K last year. We owed ~$7K at tax time because we were underwitheld. No penalty was calculated. Now, this year, be...
by Bacchus01
Wed May 09, 2018 7:17 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Why International again?
Replies: 224
Views: 24962

Re: Why International again?

0% international works for me. :beer 0% international works for me, at the moment . Fixed that for you. Would you like to explain why you think betting on one single economy is a wise strategy? Or why you think it will work for you? Because it’s not betting on one single economy. Not even close