Search found 4197 matches

by mptfan
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:53 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: PTO policy after international business travel
Replies: 40
Views: 1870

Re: PTO policy after international business travel

Is it unrealistic to ask my employer to give me 5 days off without having to use my PTO? My last trip, I was given one day off and then worked from home the following day(only because I asked for it) This was nowhere near enough time. I think 1-2 days is reasonable, plus a weekend. Beyond that, I t...
by mptfan
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Early Retirement Question
Replies: 14
Views: 2526

Re: Early Retirement Question

jorodrig wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 pm
I am considering early retirement and was wondering if anyone has used the SEEP program to pull money from their IRA without penalties.
I think you mean SEPP.
by mptfan
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:52 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: How long do you save tax returns?
Replies: 35
Views: 2613

Re: How long do you save tax returns?

cheese_breath wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:30 pm
Forever.
Wow, that's a long time.
by mptfan
Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:31 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: How do you define middle class? Which class do you consider yourself in?
Replies: 23
Views: 2099

Re: How do you define middle class? Which class do you consider yourself in?

Your definition of middle class seems oddly specific - ie, you can only be middle class if you make a narrow set of choices. By this definition, I would be surprised if 10% of US households qualify I agree. By the OP's definition, unmarried people and people without children cannot be middle class.
by mptfan
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:15 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: anyone else enjoying an afternoon nap in retirement?
Replies: 19
Views: 1730

Re: anyone else enjoying an afternoon nap in retirement?

kramer wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:54 pm
Honestly, as a retired guy I haven't napped in years ... I just sleep late in the morning.
Why not do both?
by mptfan
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:52 am
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.
Replies: 175
Views: 8389

Re: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.

That's because there's a stigma, I think, that a millionaire possesses $1 million. The US has millions of (by definition) millionaires, yet, apparently, 70% of the populattion lives paycheck-to-paycheck and over half can't afford a $400 emergency. I don't agree that there is a "stigma" that a milli...
by mptfan
Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:20 pm
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.
Replies: 175
Views: 8389

Re: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.

I also don't agree with the definition of a millionaire being a person with a net worth of assets, minus liabilities, that equals 1 million dollars. People include their homes, cars, jewelry, etc., and are now, by definition, millionaires. In my mind, a millionaire must be able to withdraw 1 millio...
by mptfan
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: How do you add someone to a will if you don't know their Social?
Replies: 19
Views: 2237

Re: How do you add someone to a will if you don't know their Social?

It would be great to answer all questions like this. "How can you fix this car?" "Why not ask your mechanic?" "How do I fix this water pipe in my house?" "Why not ask your plumber?" What is an appropriate asset allocation for my investments? "Why not ask your financial advisor?" What are the best m...
by mptfan
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:22 pm
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.
Replies: 175
Views: 8389

Re: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.

If individual stories of people who reached $1 million following the Boglehead philosophy "validate" that philosophy, then individual stories of people who made much more than that following some other philosophy invalidate it. Respectfully, I don't think this is logically correct. Two philosophies...
by mptfan
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 pm
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.
Replies: 175
Views: 8389

Re: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.

Elsebet wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:06 pm
For many people (myself included) this is probably one of the few public places one could comfortably announce a financial milestone, so I would say we should continue to allow those kinds of threads.
I agree.
by mptfan
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:14 pm
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.
Replies: 175
Views: 8389

Re: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.

In a clubby atmosphere in which it seems "normal" to have a seven-figure net worth, it is easy to overlook how it might appear to others. In this regard, I remember being stunned by the thread Did you tell anyone you paid off your mortgage? in which the general consensus was that it was seriously u...
by mptfan
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:57 am
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Misuse of adverse when averse was meant
Replies: 145
Views: 5680

Re: Misuse of adverse when averse was meant

Another pet peeve of mine is the phrase "general consensus." The word consensus is defined as a general agreement, so "general consensus" is redundant.
by mptfan
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 pm
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Misuse of adverse when averse was meant
Replies: 145
Views: 5680

Re: Misuse of adverse

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:16 pm
Years ago, there was a word that I always used incorrectly because nobody told me until late in life that it wasn't supposed to be used that way. I probably misused it on the SAT, too.
Pray tell which word?
by mptfan
Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:06 pm
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Misuse of adverse when averse was meant
Replies: 145
Views: 5680

Re: Misuse of adverse

I don't think we are being too picky, its the principal of the matter thats important. :wink:
by mptfan
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 pm
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Misuse of adverse when averse was meant
Replies: 145
Views: 5680

Re: Misuse of adverse

Eventually probably the posting software of the future will do such things automatically anyways much like spell checking is done now. I suppose all these other words would be edited automatically based on context and meaning, too. Spell checking software would not catch that since adverse is also ...
by mptfan
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 pm
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Misuse of adverse when averse was meant
Replies: 145
Views: 5680

Re: Misuse of adverse

Thank you for raising one of my pet peeves, I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by that. I don't know if there would be an adverse reaction, but I am not averse to your suggestion.
by mptfan
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:33 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: So ambitious w/ money but so risk-averse
Replies: 31
Views: 3053

Re: So ambitious w/ money but so risk-adverse

I'm sorry, but the editor in me can't help myself...it's risk averse, not risk adverse.
by mptfan
Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:53 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Annoying Vanguard "penny" discrepancy
Replies: 3
Views: 362

Re: Annoying Vanguard "penny" discrepancy

I haven't notice that specific issue, but I have sometimes noticed a discrepancy between the balance reported by Vanguard and the balance reported on my spreadsheet, the difference is usually one or a few pennies. I think it is because of rounding or truncation. For example, if I own 597.652 shares ...
by mptfan
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:34 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Airbnb - Guide a beginner
Replies: 28
Views: 2722

Re: Airbnb - Guide a beginner

My experience with Airbnb has been generally positive, but you have to be careful. The number one piece of advice I would give is...do not assume anything, especially when traveling abroad. Do not assume that there is air conditioning. If there is air conditioning, do not assume it is central air co...
by mptfan
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:02 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Social Security at age 62 perhaps?
Replies: 57
Views: 4882

Re: Social Security at age 62 perhaps?

I could not find anything in either of the references (or by a Google search) that says chained CPI is being applied to Social Security at this time. Could you please point out what section this is in? Sorry if I missed it. I also cannot find anything that says chained CPI is being applied to Socia...
by mptfan
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:08 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Social Security at age 62 perhaps?
Replies: 57
Views: 4882

Re: Social Security at age 62 perhaps?

4nickt wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:51 pm
Lastly, the new tax law reduces all SS payments using chained CPI for the future. This is a BIG deal, but most people don’t seem to know or care.
Do you have a source or a citation for this? I would like to read about it.
by mptfan
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Found a check from two years ago - oops
Replies: 9
Views: 816

Re: Found a check from two years ago - oops

I don't want to check six months worth of statements from all my accounts to figure out if I cashed it - is there an easier way to do this? What's the fastest/easiest way of figuring this out? It seems to me that since it is your oversight, or if you can't remember, it's up to you to check your rec...
by mptfan
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:37 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Bond Returns in 2017
Replies: 16
Views: 1533

Re: Bond Returns in 2017

MickeyBoy wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:32 pm
The Wall Street Journal this morning in its Year-End Review says Vanguard Total Bond Market was up 1.0% and Vanguard Total Int'l Bond up 0.1%.
As dbr pointed out, the word "up" refers to the increase in the net asset value (NAV), not the return.
by mptfan
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:34 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Bond Returns in 2017
Replies: 16
Views: 1533

Re: Bond Returns in 2017

Vanguard High Yield Bond Fund - Admiral Shares (VWEAX) - 7.13% return for 2017.
by mptfan
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Help with portfolio- too complex?
Replies: 18
Views: 1807

Re: Help with portfolio- too complex?

cmoney2011 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:14 pm
1. Is this too complex?
Yes.
by mptfan
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:25 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]
Replies: 1728
Views: 304703

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

TravelforFun wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:11 pm
F = Your portfolio value on 12/31/2017
P = Your portfolio value on 1/1/2017
That's only 364 days. Your P should be 12/31/2016.
by mptfan
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:23 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]
Replies: 1728
Views: 304703

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

My portfolio is up 18.3% for 2017 with 73% stocks, 20% bonds and 7% cash. (Most of my bonds are in Vanguard's High Yield Bond fund)
by mptfan
Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:47 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show
Replies: 280
Views: 32118

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

pshonore wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:24 pm
The Crown Season 2. (interesting to mote the entire cast is being replaced for Season 3)
Is that because they are getting older actors to portray the aging of the characters?
by mptfan
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:06 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Withdrawing cash from online bank without a local bank account
Replies: 18
Views: 1674

Re: Withdrawing cash from online bank without local bank account

OP, could you explain your reasons for going to Schwab bank exclusively? Because I do not like maintaining more accounts than I need for all of the reasons I listed above. I try to sreamline my financial affairs as much as possible so that there are less things to keep track of, it just makes life ...
by mptfan
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:38 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Withdrawing cash from online bank without a local bank account
Replies: 18
Views: 1674

Re: Getting large amounts of cash with no local bank

You should probably consider getting a second bank account for occasions like this. Why? I provided solutions for occasions like this without needing a second bank. For when you need easy access to services such as Notary Public, and especially Medallion Signature Guarantee. Notary services are wid...
by mptfan
Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:46 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Withdrawing cash from online bank without a local bank account
Replies: 18
Views: 1674

Re: Withdrawing cash from online bank without local bank account

If you have to go into the local bank to process the card anyway; why not open an account and get more convenient service? Because opening another account involves a lot more issues, and I would like to avoid those issues. Also, I don't see how the service would be more convenient. I would have to ...
by mptfan
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:25 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Withdrawing cash from online bank without a local bank account
Replies: 18
Views: 1674

Re: Getting large amounts of cash with no local bank

duckcalldan wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:58 am
You should probably consider getting a second bank account for occasions like this.
Why? I provided solutions for occasions like this without needing a second bank.
by mptfan
Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:49 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Withdrawing cash from online bank without a local bank account
Replies: 18
Views: 1674

Withdrawing cash from online bank without a local bank account

I use Schwab Bank for online banking and I do not have any other bank accounts, which means I have no local bank. I was a bit hesistant when I first went online only, but it has worked out better than I thought. One of the potential issues with not having a local bank is getting cash...there are som...
by mptfan
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:18 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Chromebooks- What is the lure?
Replies: 157
Views: 17957

Re: Chromebooks- What is the lure?

In regards to Chromebooks, I am looking to replace my laptop with a Chromebook for browsing and streaming, email with a little Work and simple Excel work and would appreciate recommendations as the best value buy for large screen based on experience in the $150-$220 price range. Thanks the largest ...
by mptfan
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:05 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Getting rid of junk mail?
Replies: 21
Views: 1478

Re: Getting rid of junk mail?

Every day I called the number on the back of each new catalog and said I wanted to be removed from the mailing list. Usually they asked for a customer code, but sometimes they'd ask for the name..."Uh, Jane Smith." I figured if Mrs. Smith wanted to get the catalogs at her new house she could easily...
by mptfan
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:04 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

2015 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:28 pm
How do you think you are going to get a SMS text code during the log in process if you didn't request one?
Because Vanguard has a security setting option that will automatically send a security code everytime you log on.
by mptfan
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:22 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: How are 401k withdrawals taxed when you retire?
Replies: 12
Views: 1703

Re: How are 401k withdrawals taxed when you retire?

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:28 pm
It doesn't link to being retired, it links to all of your income.
Exactly. Being retired is irrelevant.
by mptfan
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

So basically supporting the key does provide extra security (by preventing this attack), but only if the user also has a policy of always using the key to log in. So if I have a policy of always using the key to log in to the real Vanguard site I will not receive any security codes as part of that ...
by mptfan
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:04 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

If you are stating that VG's present setup is less than ideal, you are far from alone in that assertion. So do you agree with my assertion that based on Vanguard's present setup , the security key option is not more secure than using security codes? No. See the last paragrapraph of my most recent p...
by mptfan
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

2015 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:42 pm
If you are stating that VG's present setup is less than ideal, you are far from alone in that assertion.
So do you agree with my assertion that based on Vanguard's present setup, the security key option is not more secure than using security codes?
by mptfan
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:00 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

The token that is generated on the security key is cryptographically tied to the website that requested the token. That means a token generated on a phishing site could not be used on the real website because the domain/origin that requested it doesn't match the one validating it. 2015 already post...
by mptfan
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:57 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

I think this is still missing the. OPs point. It's not the OPs behavior that's under question, but the attacker's. The attacker can easily use code sent to a phone instead of the Yubi, because Vanguard allows this. OP is asking what's the point of changing OPs behavior when it doesn't make it any t...
by mptfan
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:20 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

What is your attack scenario? Security threats do not exist in a vacuum, nor do attackers pop out of thin air. When you say the attacker "can easily use code sent to a phone," how are they getting those codes? It's most likely going to be through phishing. But if your behavior is to always expect a...
by mptfan
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:14 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

And if you need to use a security code as an emergency backup when you've lost your security key, that is also a signal to you that you should be extra vigilant about where you're entering your credentials (i.e. make sure you really are on vanguard.com), because you know that you are more susceptib...
by mptfan
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

I think this is still missing the. OPs point. It's not the OPs behavior that's under question, but the attacker's. The attacker can easily use code sent to a phone instead of the Yubi, because Vanguard allows this. OP is asking what's the point of changing OPs behavior when it doesn't make it any t...
by mptfan
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:38 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

They both provide strong account security. The security key is a technically better though because it cannot be phished. With security codes, a bad actor could trick you into entering the six digits into a convincingly fake website. With a security key, the token generated by the key is cryptograph...
by mptfan
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

They both provide strong account security. The security key is a technically better though because it cannot be phished. With security codes, a bad actor could trick you into entering the six digits into a convincingly fake website. With a security key, the token generated by the key is cryptograph...
by mptfan
Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:03 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard Security Keys
Replies: 53
Views: 4362

Re: Vanguard Security Keys

So is my conclusion correct... a security key does not provide additional security over using security codes?