Search found 6 matches

by Oriolesfan
Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:28 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Tracking our expenses
Replies: 40
Views: 3742

Re: Tracking our expenses

I am very happy with Mvelopes. I have used it for over four years. The envelope budgeting concept works better for me than anything I have used in the past, like a spreadsheet, quicken, and mint. Mvelopes learning curve was a little quirky to start, but once it becomes familiar its very, very easy t...
by Oriolesfan
Tue May 24, 2016 5:29 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Commoditity ETFs and 401K's
Replies: 0
Views: 713

Commoditity ETFs and 401K's

Looking to put a small percentage of my 401K into a commodities ETF like DBC or USCI. Those ETFs put out a K-1 instead of a 1099 for taxes, but if they're in a tax advantaged account it shouldn't matter. So I think it's ok to put in a 401K unless the K-1 displays a significant amount, over $1,000 an...
by Oriolesfan
Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:39 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: mailed US tax check 4/13 - not cashed yet
Replies: 56
Views: 15660

Re: mailed US tax check 4/13 - not cashed yet

I sent both checks in by mail on 4/15 - MN cashed check a couple of days later, federal return still hasn't been cashed - no big deal, they must just be processing slower or something!
by Oriolesfan
Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:14 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Is Inflation Even Possible?
Replies: 4
Views: 963

Is Inflation Even Possible?

Supposedly there are lots of people not in the labor market, and many more who are underemployed and/or part time, and there's lots of talk that wages keep getting squeezed for the lower and middle classes (majority of population). The upper class / wealthy have been doing well, but there is a limit...
by Oriolesfan
Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:43 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Definition of bond yield in an ETF
Replies: 2
Views: 334

Re: Definition of bond yield in an ETF

Thanks - that's very helpful. Bottom line then is that if I look at an overall ETF bond fund return, the SEC 30 day yield is my "estimated/best guess" total return for the future. So for one example, an annualized SEC 30 yield of 3.0% could be the result of an bond ETF price moving from $5...
by Oriolesfan
Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:00 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Definition of bond yield in an ETF
Replies: 2
Views: 334

Definition of bond yield in an ETF

In an Bond ETF does the TTM Yield include the change in NAV? In other words, if I look at a bond ETF with yield was 1.25% and the 1 year change in NAV was say 1.00%, does that mean my total return is 2.25%, or is the change in NAV included in the yield with the actual "coupon yield" then o...