Search found 1020 matches

by EddyB
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Will we be OK at 3% WR?
Replies: 287
Views: 18829

Re: Will we be OK at 3% WR?

Real bond yields now are significantly lower than historical realized real bond returns, which if you look back at my posts I believe I stated every single time. Citation please. I believe what you said is incorrect, even though you've stated it every single time. Real bond yields were very low in ...
by EddyB
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:51 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Snow tires
Replies: 45
Views: 2737

Re: Snow tires

samsoes wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:36 am
Sgnoweht wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:32 pm
Does LC= land cruiser? Dedicated snow tires on a land cruiser should be unstoppable ! Some day I'll get spare wheels and dedicated snows for my LC!
I thought LC was an abbreviation for Lincoln Continental. Non-intuitive ambiguous acronyms are ubiquitous on this site.
You mean NIAAs.
by EddyB
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:19 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Will we be OK at 3% WR?
Replies: 287
Views: 18829

Re: Will we be OK at 3% WR?

1. You have made absolutely no compelling claim regarding returns in the extremely long time periods that are relevant, you’ve just stated a hypothesis. It’s your raw feeling painted as logic. 2. I think I agree with you regarding what one can "do" with firecalc, but I don't know of any serious adv...
by EddyB
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:31 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Will we be OK at 3% WR?
Replies: 287
Views: 18829

Re: Will we be OK at 3% WR?

In my opinion, what all that comes down to is the worry that the retirement period that any of us will face (the only one that matters) may be worse than any in the data set. Of course that''s possible, but I see no convincing current-valuations-based evidence presented for that view over such long...
by EddyB
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:18 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Do you charge your employer for the time that you spend working on your off days?
Replies: 145
Views: 7534

Re: Do you charge your employer for the time that you spend working on your off days?

Or they could fire CobraKai and replace him with one of many people who would gladly work the extra hours for what he is getting paid. I spent three decades in the corporate world (two of them in the C-Suite) and rare was the department or function that was not understaffed and overworked. Every de...
by EddyB
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:49 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: (Sigh) "Wasting" year-old smoke detector batteries...
Replies: 85
Views: 4179

Re: (Sigh) "Wasting" year-old smoke detector batteries...

...Modern smoke detectors have up to 10 year batteries. A smoke detector needs to be replaced at least every 10 years, CO detectors I think are 8 years. CO detectors actually force a change after a certain number of years. I know because if they don't have a readout, they tell you in a very obnoxio...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:05 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Will we be OK at 3% WR?
Replies: 287
Views: 18829

Re: Will we be OK at 3% WR?

We see traveling a little differently. We have no problem going to the same location multiple times and even be thrilled to just rent a place for a few weeks and live there more like a local as opposed to a tourist. For us it is not just about showing up to a place and checking it off our list (not...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:02 pm
Forum: Non-US Investing
Topic: Advantages for US persons abroad
Replies: 37
Views: 2680

Re: Advantages for US persons abroad

I think I've come up with something positive. If you are a European resident I have found cheaper car rental rates for visits to the US using European car rental sites. These rates often also include insurance (useful if you no longer have US car insurance as US credit cards do not cover liability ...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:16 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Will we be OK at 3% WR?
Replies: 287
Views: 18829

Re: Will we be OK at 3% WR?

We see traveling a little differently. We have no problem going to the same location multiple times and even be thrilled to just rent a place for a few weeks and live there more like a local as opposed to a tourist. For us it is not just about showing up to a place and checking it off our list (not...
by EddyB
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:06 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Saving seats on Southwest
Replies: 210
Views: 11069

Re: Saving seats on Southwest

How about the couples that choose the two aisle seats across from each other, hogging both 3 seat groups? What's wrong with that? It's open seating. If they both like aisles, they should do exactly this. Same as the rudeness of saving seats or choosing the aisle and window, hoping no one sits in th...
by EddyB
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:25 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Saving seats on Southwest
Replies: 210
Views: 11069

Re: Saving seats on Southwest

there is no problem. They both bought tickets and both prefer aisle seats. They don't owe any other passengers anything. Neither do the parents that don't control their kids or try to comfort their crying babies. Or those that bring smelly food on the plane. Or those that talk loudly on their cell ...
by EddyB
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:18 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Saving seats on Southwest
Replies: 210
Views: 11069

Re: Saving seats on Southwest

How about the couples that choose the two aisle seats across from each other, hogging both 3 seat groups? What's wrong with that? It's open seating. If they both like aisles, they should do exactly this. Same as the rudeness of saving seats or choosing the aisle and window, hoping no one sits in th...
by EddyB
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:05 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Seller's agent not letting us use a buyer's agent
Replies: 122
Views: 10454

Re: Seller's agent not letting us use a buyer's agent

I think everyone is missing the point here. This whole situation stinks and is more common than you think. However, if I am the homeowner and I find out about this, I am ticked off in a major way. The goal of the seller's agent is to produce offers for the seller to consider. It is not trying to ge...
by EddyB
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:12 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Will we be OK at 3% WR?
Replies: 287
Views: 18829

Re: Will we be OK at 3% WR?

I think Thesaints might be trying to say this: the 4% SWR is based on a time period with a certain distribution of returns. If (and it’s a big if IMO) the future long term distribution of returns is lower (e.g., the whole distribution is shifted left), then the future worst case scenario gets worse...
by EddyB
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Seller's agent not letting us use a buyer's agent
Replies: 122
Views: 10454

Re: Seller's agent not letting us use a buyer's agent

The sellers agent did all the work and you didn’t tell them that you had an agent. They deserve the whole sale. You don’t have to miss out on the house. You just need to get over being miffed. Sorry. Cheers No offer had been prepared, inspections have not been arranged and results considered, and t...
by EddyB
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:12 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Will we be OK at 3% WR?
Replies: 287
Views: 18829

Re: Will we be OK at 3% WR?

Average market returns mean absolutely nothing for the purpose of calculating historic safe withdrawal rates. Nothing . For instance, returns from 2017 do not enter into the calculation of the SWR for the 1966-1995 period. So you need to purge that idea from your thinking. Maybe you skipped where I...
by EddyB
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?
Replies: 54
Views: 4922

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?

I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which has a $95 fee. Taking the $300 credit into consideration, leaving a net fee of $150...can anybody speak to the added values of this card that may easily justify the additional $55 in fees? Do people who hold the Reserve feel it pays for itself for an avera...
by EddyB
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:01 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?
Replies: 54
Views: 4922

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?

When the CSR was first introduced, I did not qualify for it. I will be able to get it in February-March 2020, and I keep hoping that they would increase the sign-up bonus. If they are losing money on the CSR, they don't have an incentive to increase the bonus. Victoria I would be really surprised i...
by EddyB
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:43 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Early Financial Independence. - Healthcare costs
Replies: 65
Views: 5212

Re: Early Financial Independence. - Healthcare costs

Dude2 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:37 am
Society needs people working.
Well, that's society's problem, to incentivize lots of different types of people.
by EddyB
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?
Replies: 54
Views: 4922

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?

Then we take the point Jags made that most travel can be had at a discount. Uber is constantly 10% off, Southwest is constantly 10% off, Hotels.com is 15% off or more, there are usually Amex offers to lower the cost of travel, so, I value the travel credit conservatively at $270 as opposed to $300....
by EddyB
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:29 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Will we be OK at 3% WR?
Replies: 287
Views: 18829

Re: Will we be OK at 3% WR?

Firecalc.com shows zero failures for 3% inflation-adjusted withdrawals over 30, 40, and 50 years, using the default settings/assumptions. So you are assuming facts not in evidence. Nope. I made no assumptions. Fair enough. By that logic, I suppose you could have stated that Firecalc shows 100% fail...
by EddyB
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:18 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Saudi Aramco, a microcosm of International Equities issues.
Replies: 26
Views: 1453

Re: Saudi Aramco, a microcosm of International Equities issues.

How does the market *accurately* price in that their extraction, processing or distribution facilities might (as happened in the last six weeks) or might not be militarily attacked? Intellectually honest people know that the answer to the above is “It can’t.” If accurate price discovery isn’t a con...
by EddyB
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:03 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Working from home vs in the office
Replies: 22
Views: 1831

Re: Working from home vs in the office

Does it have to be one or the other? If you opt to work from home do you lose your ability to go into the office twice a week? After working at home near my office for a while, I moved several hundred miles away. Had I stayed near the office, I would not have benefitted nearly so much from my own r...
by EddyB
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:43 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Taxes on Bonus
Replies: 27
Views: 3046

Re: Taxes on Bonus

To see what the standard payroll tax rates are for Federal and your state go here: https://www.adp.com/resources/tools/tax-guides-and-forms/state-and-local-tax-guides/state-tax-guide.aspx If you by chance wanted to deduct even more, fill out another payroll tax withholding form for Federal and/or S...
by EddyB
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Airbnb - Guide a beginner
Replies: 64
Views: 6234

Re: Airbnb - Guide a beginner

Look closely at the FEES . This has pushed me away in past years. I could be wrong but I believe a total price is always quoted including fees when you start to book, so ultimately nothing is hidden. The original stated price is often much lower. “Ultimately” that is designed to make it impossible ...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:19 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is 529 best held by a Grandparent?
Replies: 6
Views: 790

Re: Is 529 best held by a Grandparent?

If a grandparent opens a 529 for a grandchild, can other people contribute to that 529? If so, would the donor receive the state tax deduction or the grandparents? From my limited reading of 529 plans, one held by a grandparent is best for the grandchildren with respect to possible fincinal aid. An...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: BigLaw Junior - Portfolio Review and General Investing Strategy
Replies: 9
Views: 892

Re: BigLaw Junior - Portfolio Review and General Investing Strategy

Just to emphasize what others have said about doing it without an advisor, note that especially applies to the various "advisors" who will cold call you in the office, vaguely suggest that they work with your colleagues, claim to have special insights into addressing the needs of someone "in your ci...
by EddyB
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:32 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Benefits of Flagship Status at Vanguard?
Replies: 65
Views: 7474

Re: Benefits of Flagship Status at Vanguard?

Can you tell me more about PRIMECAP funds? I haven’t tuned into this before. Check out VPMAX and VPCCX. Unfortunately, both funds are closed to new investors at the moment. If they open up again, you can buy enough to get a small position, and build from there. That's the point. At Flagship level, ...
by EddyB
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:36 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Wallets [Do you carry a wallet?]
Replies: 102
Views: 8157

Re: Wallets [Do you carry a wallet?]

7eight9 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:19 pm
EddyB wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:56 pm
SuperGrafx wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:59 am
Yep.
No reason not to carry a wallet.
I assume you wear a wristwatch and a hat, too.
If you don't want to carry an electronic leash phone how else would you know what time it is?
Isn’t the sun in the sky good enough?
by EddyB
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:56 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Wallets [Do you carry a wallet?]
Replies: 102
Views: 8157

Re: Wallets [Do you carry a wallet?]

SuperGrafx wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:59 am
Yep.
No reason not to carry a wallet.
I assume you wear a wristwatch and a hat, too.
by EddyB
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:48 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Ok to go without health insurance?
Replies: 209
Views: 11549

Re: Ok to go without health insurance?

..... If it ends up I'm one of the lucky ones that looses money on health insurance I'm OK with that. I think it is almost my social responsibility to contribute to the funds that might help my neighbor in a time of need. Perhaps instead of buying insurance, I could buy shares in an insurance compa...
by EddyB
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:54 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: California Fires: Landlord/Tenant Question
Replies: 71
Views: 4123

Re: California Fires: Landlord/Tenant Question

Not a lawyer, but... The OP does have a point. The fact that the power outage isn’t the landlord’s fault is relevant, but does not completely settle the issue. What if the fire, clearly not caused by the landlord, burned the whole apartment to the ground? Would the tenants still be responsible for ...
by EddyB
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:20 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I’m done with index funds
Replies: 201
Views: 20479

Re: I’m done with index funds

OP, it appears the consensus here is overwhelmingly against your proposed strategy. I'm curious if your mind has been swayed by the responses or if you still plan to go ahead with your strategy? I'm also interested in OP's updated decision process, if it's changed. I can't get over the 70bp per yea...
by EddyB
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:48 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: How much does a "good school district" matter?
Replies: 76
Views: 6599

Re: How much does a "good school district" matter?

The quality of your child's neighborhood and schools matter for sure. However, there is no one definition of "good" - and the data that goes into something like school scores you see on real estate websites offer false precision. Probably you want to avoid schools getting a 1 or 2 out of 10 score. ...
by EddyB
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:37 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Travel hacking international flights
Replies: 50
Views: 4980

Re: Travel hacking international flights

It would be interesting if the airlines read the various forums and did "reverse hacking"... say you booked the Atlanta to Berlin through Frankfort (with Frankfort being your desired destination) and the airlines seeing the trend and rebooking you through, say Madrid, and when you call up they say ...
by EddyB
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:01 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: WaPo: Many Investors Have Sat Out Rally
Replies: 87
Views: 15074

Re: WaPo: Many Investors Have Sat Out Rally

The difference between (1) “setting your asset allocation so you can sleep at night,” which is viewed on this board as virtuous, vs. (2) pulling money out of the market when it starts to crash, which we condemn as market-timing, is largely illusory. Why? Because Investor’s initial “sleep-at-night” ...
by EddyB
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:16 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Should we downshift and move to Europe?
Replies: 40
Views: 5062

Re: Should we downshift and move to Europe?

As an American, I love visiting Europe for multi-week stints on vacation or work trips. However, I think if you were to truly dig into the financial side of permanently immigrating & relocating, it's not quite as appealing given the significantly higher income tax, sales & VAT taxes, property taxes...
by EddyB
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:37 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Customer Service with Vanguard
Replies: 264
Views: 16503

Re: Customer Service with Vanguard

I have been with Vanguard for over 30 years and will stay with it till I die. There will always be some people who have legitimate problems with any organization and some people who are chronic complainers and never happy. It would be informative to see some hard data instead of just anecdotal comp...
by EddyB
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:11 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Do prices on umbrella policies adjust annually or remain fixed?
Replies: 14
Views: 1201

Re: Do prices on umbrella policies adjust annually or remain fixed?

I’ve always thought it odd that the premiums for the same nominal policy limit only increase from year to year.
by EddyB
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:27 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?
Replies: 126
Views: 6670

Re: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?

You mean this... As you can see, like most problems in economics, the answer is “it depends”. Economics is at its core a social science dealing with very complex human behaviour. It tries to do so using mathematics, logic, and quantifiable arguments. This methodology requires the economist to make ...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:13 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?
Replies: 126
Views: 6670

Re: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?

For those that asked or commented on my consumption or investment post... https://www.quora.com/Is-buying-a-house-an-investment-consumption-or-saving-in-macroeconomics I and others see it one way, and you that commented and others see it another way. Just like educated and professional economists. ...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:57 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?
Replies: 126
Views: 6670

Re: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?

For those that asked or commented on my consumption or investment post... https://www.quora.com/Is-buying-a-house-an-investment-consumption-or-saving-in-macroeconomics I and others see it one way, and you that commented and others see it another way. Just like educated and professional economists. ...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:04 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?
Replies: 126
Views: 6670

Re: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?

If someone used funds to buy shares in a REIT, would you say that they aren't saving? I don't consider investing and saving to be the same thing. Are you saying that mortgage payments are the same as REITs? You don’t have to “count” anything, but I’d like to hear your distinction between saving and...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:17 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?
Replies: 126
Views: 6670

Re: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?

No one would argue that any equity you have in your house(s) would be included in your net worth calculations. But so would yours cars, your art, your wine cellar, your clothing, and anything else you can conceivably sell. Your house is nothing more than an item which you've purchased, just like al...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:02 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?
Replies: 126
Views: 6670

Re: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?

I guess this would all lead into the next argument people see two sides of... is a house an investment or consumption item? I see it as a consumption item. Hence, why I feel one spends money on a house. Why does it have to be either/or? Is a mutual fund with 2% annual fees an asset because you can ...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:56 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?
Replies: 126
Views: 6670

Re: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?

I guess this would all lead into the next argument people see two sides of... is a house an investment or consumption item? I see it as a consumption item. Hence, why I feel one spends money on a house. While the maintenance expenses are consumption, the properties I’ve owned have held or increased...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:47 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?
Replies: 126
Views: 6670

Re: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?

I am going to buy everything on my credit card and when I pay it off I will call it savings. Just a point to show that this logic is not correct. Like chevca, below, you’re making the mistake of treating all spending as if it is consumption. They’re different. If a buy dinner on a credit card, and ...
by EddyB
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:54 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?
Replies: 126
Views: 6670

Re: Is principal portion of mortgage counted for savings rate purposes?

dratkinson wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Maybe a mortgage is a transfer payment from your current self to your future self.
Great, that’s exactly how I see savings!
dratkinson wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:15 pm

So still not savings.
Oh....
dratkinson wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Whatever floats your boat.
Agreed.
by EddyB
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:56 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: 11 Reasons to Carry a Big, Long Mortgage by Ric Edelman.
Replies: 93
Views: 10829

Re: 11 Reasons to Carry a Big, Long Mortgage by Ric Edelman.

Investing borrowed money. Investing on margin. The leverage works great when the market goes up. The leverage also works, but in a bad way, when the market goes down. If you expect the market to be down for thirty years, it’s not investing the fixed-rate mortgage that’s going to be the problem. Hou...
by EddyB
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:07 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Unique withdrawal method
Replies: 65
Views: 6878

Re: Unique withdrawal method

We prefer making our discretionary expenditures during bad times, when vehicles, air fares, hotel accommodations, etc. are on sale. I don’t know anyone else who limits their expenditures during good times and splurges during times of financial stress. We don't limit per se but during the recession ...