Search found 710 matches

by 3-20Characters
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:10 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: can I shorten a pdf file?
Replies: 35
Views: 2067

Re: can I shorten a pdf file?

In Safari on iPad or iPhone: Select Print from the upload icon on upper right of title bar. Select page range that you want to keep. Pinch to zoom in on any page. Click upload icon and select Save to Files. Choose folder and name to save the new PDF on your iCloud Drive. Click Done and Cancel to go...
by 3-20Characters
Fri May 29, 2020 4:50 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: XFINITY Mobile new phone SIM swap
Replies: 10
Views: 718

Re: XFINITY Mobile new phone SIM swap

Doc Holiday, thanks. This are the sort of details that I was looking for.
by 3-20Characters
Fri May 29, 2020 3:07 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: XFINITY Mobile new phone SIM swap
Replies: 10
Views: 718

Re: XFINITY Mobile new phone SIM swap

No interaction is required. The SIM card is your calling/texting plan. It is already established. Back up your current iPhone to PC in iTunes. Do a full backup. Make sure it is on the latest version of iOS. Attach the new phone to iTunes. Both the new and old phone have to be on the exact same vers...
by 3-20Characters
Fri May 29, 2020 1:34 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: XFINITY Mobile new phone SIM swap
Replies: 10
Views: 718

XFINITY Mobile new phone SIM swap

I’d like to hear from XFINITY Mobile Bogleheads who’ve transferred their SIMs from current iPhone to new (unlocked) iPhone? Did the swap require additional interactions with XFINITY? How exactly did you go about it (get XFINITY involved via phone or store and how did it go?)? I’m reading up online a...
by 3-20Characters
Sat May 02, 2020 6:02 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: IRS Get My Payment up and running
Replies: 369
Views: 25150

Re: IRS Get My Payment up and running

After all the attempts to get our bank info recorded (and finally succeeding), they’re sending a check. :confused Payment Status We scheduled your check to be mailed on May 08, 2020 to the address we have on file for you. We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment. If you ...
by 3-20Characters
Fri May 01, 2020 7:11 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: IRS Get My Payment up and running
Replies: 369
Views: 25150

Re: IRS Get My Payment up and running

I read 3 pages and don’t remember seeing this posted up to that point... In 2019, I was due a refund but applied it in whole to Q1 estimated taxes, so no check/direct deposit was sent. So I went back to “get my payment” website and this time entered 0 for refund and it worked. You stopped reading t...
by 3-20Characters
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:32 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: IRS Get My Payment up and running
Replies: 369
Views: 25150

Re: IRS Get My Payment up and running

I read 3 pages and don’t remember seeing this posted up to that point. I could not get the website to accept my bank info because (I suspect) that the AGI or payment/refund amounts I entered didn’t match IRS records. I know I have the right amounts and even logged in to see that my 2019 return is in...
by 3-20Characters
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:58 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Equifax: can’t log in
Replies: 68
Views: 11420

Re: Equifax: can’t log in

I created an account just to say Thank You 3-20Characters! I've been trying to login for over a year with various browsers and passwords, resets, and calls to Equifax. The last time I Googled there was no post such as this. After following your magic formula I was able to reset my password and logi...
by 3-20Characters
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:46 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: How do famous people invest?
Replies: 22
Views: 1890

Re: How do famous people invest?

Larry David is both famous and rich. In “Curb,” he has invested in a restaurant, a “spite” coffee shop to drive Mocha Joe out of business (so not interested in profit there), and an invention (a periscope in the car so that the you can look down the road and see what’s going on with traffic). I thin...
by 3-20Characters
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:12 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: First solo 401k contribution—employer/employee splits
Replies: 8
Views: 615

Re: First solo 401k contribution—employer/employee splits

Retiredron wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 pm
You must also consider if the employee contribution will be Roth or pre tax. The employer contribution must be pre tax.
Thanks. All pre-tax.
by 3-20Characters
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:49 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: First solo 401k contribution—employer/employee splits
Replies: 8
Views: 615

Re: First solo 401k contribution—employer/employee splits

Thanks all. I will wait for my cpa to give me exact numbers when returns are completed. I will check into filing as a qualified joint venture next year.
by 3-20Characters
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:59 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: First solo 401k contribution—employer/employee splits
Replies: 8
Views: 615

First solo 401k contribution—employer/employee splits

- My wife and I are each 62 years old. - We operate a biz as a partnership (file return 1065 for partnership and all income passes through to our 1040 joint return). - Biz is just the 2 of us—no employees. Opened a Fidelity solo 401k plan in 2019. Did not fund yet. Say once our returns are completed...
by 3-20Characters
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:39 am
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Change password?
Replies: 6
Views: 3572

Re: Change password?

TargetingFI wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:05 am
What is "dm200" and how do I get to the user control panel?
It’s the user. In your case substitute “TargetingFI” and it will take you to your own control panel.
by 3-20Characters
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:12 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Why dividends are useful
Replies: 55
Views: 3985

Re: Why dividends are useful

Dividends (thought of as free money or somehow value added) are behavioral error 101. Behavioral errors are hard to overcome (probably because to our brains, millions of years of evolution beat facts and logic...see Kahneman’s Thinking, Fast and Slow ). Every time I read a divided thread and start t...
by 3-20Characters
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:37 pm
Forum: US Chapters
Topic: Sad news: LadyGeek's husband has passed
Replies: 352
Views: 27490

Re: Sad news: LadyGeek's husband has passed

LadyGeek, I just saw this. I’m so sorry for you. It’s brave and noble of you post the details here on bogleheads so that others may be helped. I for one, look forward to following your upcoming “Funeral Directors Life Insurance Company” thread.

🙏🏼
by 3-20Characters
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Vanguard Security Key
Replies: 53
Views: 5473

Re: Vanguard Security Key

Is it more secure to use a google voice number for 2FA over a cell phone number? I use Google voice for our primary phone line. And I use 2FA (with Yubi keys) for my Google account. But I would NEVER use the GV number to send 2FA messages to support my Google log in. That would potentially be givin...
by 3-20Characters
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:09 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Does an updated iPad satisfy Vanguard’s security requirements?
Replies: 16
Views: 2602

Re: Does an updated iPad satisfy Vanguard’s security requirements?

This clause reads to me like requirements for a previous generation of platforms misapplied to a new generation. I'm not arguing that that does (or doesn't) matter legally; just that it's ridiculous. There certainly is malware for iOS - but anti virus apps can do nothing to detect or mitigate it un...
by 3-20Characters
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:37 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Toyota recall
Replies: 15
Views: 1871

Re: Toyota recall

I was about to buy a 2019/2020 Toyota Camry then saw that there is a recall: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-recalls-defects/toyota-and-lexus-recall-cars-that-can-stall-abruptly-while-driving-fuel-pump/ Should I still buy one? Maybe. A recall which involves a safety issue and has so many vehicl...
by 3-20Characters
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:48 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: HSA - Spend or Save?
Replies: 16
Views: 829

Re: HSA - Spend or Save?

I do have funds and a reasonable cash flow for now, god knows what will happen when I am older. I guess I am looking at it like, "I have the money now to pay for my medical, so might as well use post tax" and hopefully I will be thankful in my golden years that I have this extra account well funded...
by 3-20Characters
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:43 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: HSA - Spend or Save?
Replies: 16
Views: 829

Re: HSA - Spend or Save?

Lots of threads on this. Do a search. There is no one size fits all answer. I am investing the HSA and paying out of pocket but plan to start using the HSA at Medicare age. I save receipts but I figure I can spend down the HSA on medical after Medicare. The receipts are a back up.
by 3-20Characters
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:38 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Any issues with not making 4th quarter estimated federal tax payment?
Replies: 4
Views: 421

Re: Any issues with not making 4th quarter estimated federal tax payment?

I don’t make a last quarter payment if I’ve already overpaid. Never had an issue but I don’t know the legalities of it so this is not legal advice.
by 3-20Characters
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:39 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: VOO PLUS VTI
Replies: 46
Views: 4227

Re: VOO PLUS VTI

I hold both (well the mutual fund equivalents) but I do it because I have S&P 500 fund in my 401k offerings and then I hold Total Stock Market in my taxable for TLH considerations. That's about the only time it probably makes sense to have both as far as I know. I do something similar. I TLH-ed out...
by 3-20Characters
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:35 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Helping babysitter manage large insurance payout?
Replies: 11
Views: 1721

Re: Helping babysitter manage large insurance payout?

I would impress on her what a trivial amount of money this is given a lifetime of earning and spending. Additionally, I would impress on her with some arithmetic projections what it could mean for her future if she invested the bulk in an index fund(s) and never touched it for another 40 years. Not ...
by 3-20Characters
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:21 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: VOO PLUS VTI
Replies: 46
Views: 4227

Re: VOO PLUS VTI

hope25 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:05 pm


To answer some of your questions:

A Vanguard personal advisor, a few years ago, suggested that I add an S&P 500 index to VTSAX in my portfolio.
Am I the only one who finds this surprising? OP, is it possible that you misunderstood?
by 3-20Characters
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:58 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Where to start?
Replies: 50
Views: 2063

Re: Where to start?

I'm so sorry for your loss. If you do place the monies in an FDIC insured account, you may want to title each account differently to ensure you will receive full insurance coverage. FDIC insurance coverage is currently $250,000 per account title. Here is a summary of how accounts can be titled and ...
by 3-20Characters
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:10 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Where to start?
Replies: 50
Views: 2063

Re: Where to start?

As already mentioned depending on how large it is deposit it in an FDIC insured account(s) and wait until everything quiets down. I do not believe that an FDIC-insured account is actually necessary. For instance, a Vanguard Money Market fund is not FDIC-insured and would be a very fine place to par...
by 3-20Characters
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:43 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: For the wiki: HSA as an emergency fund
Replies: 31
Views: 3725

Re: For the wiki: HSA as an emergency fund

HSA can already be used for medical emergencies. So in that sense very good idea to keep money there for medical expenses. But keeping all the old receipts is too complex. There is software out there that can keep track of these receipts for you, but it's really not difficult to just scan the recei...
by 3-20Characters
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:11 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: phone scam
Replies: 30
Views: 2858

Re: phone scam

Any biz you need to conduct with an org such as a telecom, government agency, etc, you should be calling a legit number or logging onto legit url . If you’re answering someone’s call or clicking email links, you’re playing with fire. I never answer any call unless it’s in my address book and even th...
by 3-20Characters
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:08 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Vanguard Security Key
Replies: 53
Views: 5473

Re: Vanguard Security Key

So help me understand this — you can get a physical security key for 2FA, but if you do not have your key you can use the known insecure SMS 2FA? And there is no way to disable the insecure SMS portion? Correct. What Vanguard (V) could improve upon is to offer more user control over the 2FA backup ...
by 3-20Characters
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:27 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Jumper cables
Replies: 83
Views: 5573

Re: Jumper cables

Jazztonight wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:24 pm
Big Worm wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:15 pm
Get the one with the battery pack. Don't need another car to jump off.
Doesn't this require that the battery pack always remains charged?
I charge mine twice per year (Spring and Fall).
by 3-20Characters
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:55 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Ailing parent housing
Replies: 30
Views: 1996

Re: Ailing parent housing

I speak from experience. Your mom has the right idea. If you can find a suitable condo with an elevator it’s the way to go. I am not addressing your financial questions though—only the suitability of the solution. I don’t want to post personal details here but PM me if you like and I’ll tell you more.
by 3-20Characters
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:48 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Vanguard vs. Fidelity
Replies: 62
Views: 5852

Re: Vanguard vs. Fidelity

I use both but would choose vanguard if you put a gun to my head because I prefer MFs over ETFs. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think fidelity has nearly as many good options when it comes to MFs.
by 3-20Characters
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:43 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: When you look under Google Chrome properties under security what should I see I am the only one who uses the computer?
Replies: 12
Views: 1494

Re: When you look under Google Chrome properties under security what should I see I am the only one who uses the compute

I’m not a chrome user but I assume that once you discovered the hack, you changed your password and implemented 2FA. I don’t see how someone can access your account currently unless they hacked it again. Older data (including emails) would concern me however, because assuming the hacker downloaded i...
by 3-20Characters
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:57 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Why ally bank
Replies: 98
Views: 15408

Re: Why ally bank

I think their website and apps are if not best in class, certainly up there. Their rates are up there (competitive). I’ve read some complaints here about CS but have not personally experienced any myself. The few times I’ve called, they’ve been great. I don’t chase small % increases in interest (whi...
by 3-20Characters
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:31 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Leaving large amount of money in savings at 0.05%?
Replies: 21
Views: 2771

Re: Leaving large amount of money in savings at 0.05%?

The only thing I worry about with an online bank is getting hacked and losing my money or something. I guess maybe I'm being ridiculous, but I like it in a brick and mortar bank/credit union. Really though, it's not PHYSICALLY even at my bank! All your banking/money is digital. When you got to your...
by 3-20Characters
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:22 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Leaving large amount of money in savings at 0.05%?
Replies: 21
Views: 2771

Re: Leaving large amount of money in savings at 0.05%?

No reason to accept such low rates. You don’t have to chase the max interest rate but you should get somewhere in the ballpark for the bulk of you your cash on hand. This can add up to lots of “free” money every year. - Establish ACH transfer to ally and/or MM at vanguard and transfer excess funds f...
by 3-20Characters
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:22 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Apple Pay. Does anyone use it?
Replies: 196
Views: 14247

Re: Apple Pay. Does anyone use it?

apple stuff is amazing It used to be. Now I can't get many things to work. My wife's contacts show up on my phone. My texts show up on my kid's ipad. I have a family plan with individual IDs. Then have to go to the apple store where the "geniuses" are no help. What does “family plan” mean to you? S...
by 3-20Characters
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:19 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Juice Jacking - phone data theft
Replies: 21
Views: 2429

Re: Juice Jacking - phone data theft

This potential threat has been around a while and has been greatly mitigated with security updates and other changes on both android and iOS. If you’re worried, just use the AC adapter and cable. In fact, just do that anyway. Very low on my worry list.
by 3-20Characters
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:45 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: 50/50 to 45/55
Replies: 38
Views: 3454

Re: 50/50 to 45/55

I’m 50/50. Going to 45/55 is not appreciably different but it can serve as a “gateway AA” to getting to 40% equities or less—if that's your goal. I’ve considered it myself but I have talked myself out of it every time.
by 3-20Characters
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:47 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Disturbing experience with Ally Bank
Replies: 92
Views: 12901

Re: Disturbing experience with Ally Bank

OP, sorry for your frustrating experience. Thanks to this thread, I’ve learned something new about push/pull. I may need to rethink how I do things going forward. So far, no problems with ally but I have not transferred large amounts. I suppose it’s good that banks scrutinize ach transfers given the...
by 3-20Characters
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:19 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Is LastPass still top in security, any reason to switch?
Replies: 47
Views: 5810

Re: Is LastPass still top in security, any reason to switch?

Worth noting that in 1Password, when you're in edit mode, you can create new fields of any type including new password fields. So you could create a new password field where the field label is the security question, and the password entry is the answer. It's a little more structured than dumping th...
by 3-20Characters
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:15 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Wait for Social Security - breakeven returns
Replies: 107
Views: 11280

Re: Wait for Social Security - breakeven returns

Sure. That's somewhat uncommon though, because it implies that you're already 100% stocks in the portfolio. (This is what Grabiner was getting at above.) One in 10 participants have taken an extreme position, holding either 100% in equities (6% of participants) or no equities (3% of participants). ...
by 3-20Characters
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:57 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Is LastPass still top in security, any reason to switch?
Replies: 47
Views: 5810

Re: Is LastPass still top in security, any reason to switch?

...Many sites I use ask a large number of extra security questions of their choosing - I include all of that in lastpass because I can't remember if I entered "Toyota, Toyota Carolla, or just Carolla" :D Don't answer correctly - make something up and put it in your password manager of choice. What ...
by 3-20Characters
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:02 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Is LastPass still top in security, any reason to switch?
Replies: 47
Views: 5810

Re: Is LastPass still top in security, any reason to switch?

TLDR I’ve been using the free version of 1Password since forever (I don’t think the free version is still available but I’m not sure). I prefer the free over the paid version (I’ll explain why below). I tried lastpass twice but did not like the interface and had plenty of trouble importing data. Th...
by 3-20Characters
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:41 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: VPN % question
Replies: 19
Views: 1890

Re: VPN SWR % question

Longinvest, for some reason I can’t be the worksheet to work, but looking at the table, I’m 53 with a 50/50 portfolio, so it looks like 4.2% for now. After clicking on the worksheet's link, you need to: Sign into your Google account (if not already signed in). Make a copy of the file as follows: Fi...
by 3-20Characters
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:40 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Was I ripped off at the car dealership?
Replies: 73
Views: 7174

Re: Was I ripped off at the car dealership?

I’ll play devil’s advocate. We don’t know what vehicle you have (unless I missed it, you say ford but not the model). Looking up Ford Explorer for example, the price is not out of whack and may even be low. How much the part costs is immaterial. That’s like saying dinner at the restaurant cost me $5...
by 3-20Characters
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:44 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: How common is ACH fraud on checking accounts?
Replies: 55
Views: 11438

Re: How common is ACH fraud on checking accounts?

I consider having alerts on every account a primary responsibility along with strong, unique passwords (password manager) and 2FA. This should be the minimum for anyone these days. On average, I get like 3 alerts from ally for every transaction (1 that it’s been initiated, 1 that’s it’s about to be ...
by 3-20Characters
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:40 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Apple Card
Replies: 125
Views: 13694

Re: Apple Card

I went through the process of thawing credit to apply today. Approved immediately. Tried to use the new card via my watch tonight and got the check mark, but the POS asked for payment again. Tried once more, and same thing. Since there was a line forming, I opted to use another card on Apple Pay (v...
by 3-20Characters
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:29 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Wife's car hit in a parking lot - how to deal with various issues?
Replies: 67
Views: 6167

Re: Wife's car hit in a parking lot - how to deal with various issues?

I tried to be nice to a young delivery dude a long time ago. You can guess how it ended up. I never saw a cent. Lesson learned. Many people have every intention of doing the right thing at time of accident but something changes for many of them as time goes by.