Search found 326 matches

by dustinst22
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:14 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: What entertainment during Covid-19 times?
Replies: 101
Views: 5448

Re: What entertainment during Covid-19 times?

Learn bridge, play online at bbo.com. It's mentally stimulating, takes a lifetime to get good at, and you meet highly intelligent people.
by dustinst22
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:56 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: What does your Crystal Ball say?
Replies: 96
Views: 4803

Re: What does your Crystal Ball say?

most of the worst outbreaks seem to be in countries with cooler weather (China/South Korea/Iran/Italy) and not so much in more predominantly warmer places like India (where it could possibly spread like crazy/dense population), Singapore, etc. Hoping 80-100 degree weather in many parts of world mak...
by dustinst22
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:02 pm
Forum: US Chapters
Topic: [Archived] Bogleheads community discussion - Coronavirus
Replies: 4963
Views: 190941

Re: Bogleheads community discussion - Coronavirus

I thought this was a very informative interview. For anyone who is an infectious disease expert, would be curious to hear your thoughts on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3URhJx ... sG9vtXVNjU
by dustinst22
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:08 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Do you ever use cash?
Replies: 228
Views: 13451

Re: Do you ever use cash?

Rarely. In fact I hate having the inconvenience of getting cash for the sole reason of needing tip money. This usually means stopping by an ATM then getting change. It feels like a needless pain.
by dustinst22
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:37 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Coronavirus and the market
Replies: 3949
Views: 296904

Re: Coronavirus and the market

So why is this so much different than the flu in terms of preparedness? Per an immunologist: 1) Case fatality rate of influenza is around 0.01%, coronavirus is over 2-3% 2) There is a vaccine against influenza, none for Covid 3) If you clear an influenza infection, the virus is gone and you are imm...
by dustinst22
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:22 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?
Replies: 5457
Views: 1351143

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Electrum wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:13 pm
Parasite.

Incredible movie. Don't read anything about it before you see it. Just go.
Agreed, we just rented it due to it being up for best picture, didn't know anything about it. Great flick.
by dustinst22
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:56 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: What video games are you currently playing?
Replies: 288
Views: 37546

Re: What video games are you currently playing?

Ever since I got hooked on the Elder Scrolls series (started with Morrowind), everything else seems to bore me in comparison. I never get hooked on anything else. So now I just wait until the next one comes along. Downside is it can be many many years of waiting.
by dustinst22
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Has anyone seen the documentary "Playing with FIRE?"
Replies: 216
Views: 21883

Re: Has anyone seen the documentary "Playing with FIRE?"

Wife and I read the book and saw the film. I'd give both a giant meh. The authors haven't attained financial independence (already mentioned in this thread several times), which for me means they don't really have much to offer on this subject. The book reads like an entrepreneur who just learned ab...
by dustinst22
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:22 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Electric Bicycles
Replies: 116
Views: 9973

Re: Electric Bicycles

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:51 pm


Agree to disagree. Go father with less effort. Not the same.
With using pedal assist you can put in the same effort but faster.
by dustinst22
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:47 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Electric Bicycles
Replies: 116
Views: 9973

Re: Electric Bicycles

If you were a non-biker and the e-bike got you biking, super. I tried to call out that age or other factors would come into play. If you biked (without power) and just decided the e-bike was more fun, then we are headed in a different direction. Disagree. For the active biker, the e-bike simply giv...
by dustinst22
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:16 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Electric Bicycles
Replies: 116
Views: 9973

Re: Electric Bicycles

A Juiced hyperfat or Luna apex is going to be ordered the day after we pay off the mortgage, about 1.5yrs to go. This is what we did a few years ago, one for my wife as well. Luna bikes have way better performance than just about anything on the market under 5 K. Powerful enough to ride on the beac...
by dustinst22
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:46 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Electric Bicycles
Replies: 116
Views: 9973

Re: Electric Bicycles

I think the main problem with all the electric bikes I've seen to-date is that they aren't really any faster than the pedal-powered ones That's because they're legally regulated to stay under a certain speed. My bike was built using a bafang motor and mine can easily hit 35 MPH and has a 55 mile ra...
by dustinst22
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:08 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Going desktop-less?
Replies: 54
Views: 3949

Re: Going desktop-less?

Luke Duke wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 am

Do you realize that you are recommending the same thing that you deemed to be "pretty excessive"?
Yes but my point is it's automated and I don't have to do anything.
by dustinst22
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Going desktop-less?
Replies: 54
Views: 3949

Re: Going desktop-less?

Having three copies is absolutely not excessive. Just ask the major US cities, who have paid ransomeware to get back the data. It is my strong belief that one day ransomware will be in Main Street and we need to start preparing now. Meh, I just can't imagine any data I can't do without. Photos is a...
by dustinst22
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:14 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Anyone with any experience with Warby Parker eyeglasses?
Replies: 37
Views: 3986

Re: Anyone with any experience with Warby Parker eyeglasses?

I got a bunch of their "sample" glasses to try out. Wasn't impressed with the quality, seems very cheaply made -- all marketing hype. I do use an online site to order prescription brand eyeglasses from though (ray ban, oakley, etc).
by dustinst22
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:48 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Going desktop-less?
Replies: 54
Views: 3949

Re: Going desktop-less?

Best practice is to have 3 copies of your data - the original, an onsite backup, and an offsite backup. Data is too precious to take a risk of only having 1 backup. That seems pretty excessive to me unless you have data that you absolutely cannot do without. Photos might fit this category, and this...
by dustinst22
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:37 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Going desktop-less?
Replies: 54
Views: 3949

Re: Going desktop-less?

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:36 pm
Just make sure to keep the Mac and Windows laptops plugged into the portable hard drives frequently/most of the time so they get backed up.

Don't even need to do that, everything is backed up on the cloud.
by dustinst22
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:29 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Going desktop-less?
Replies: 54
Views: 3949

Re: Going desktop-less?

Haven't had a desktop in ~ 15 years and run a multi million dollar business out of my home from a laptop. In fact, all I use is the 12" basic super slim macbook, not even the pro. I love the simplicity. Super bummed they discontinued this model. Desktops are really only needed for graphics/photograp...
by dustinst22
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:35 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Mouse invasion!
Replies: 68
Views: 4523

Re: Mouse invasion!

We had this issue. I have an irrational fear of mice, so just called our maintenance and they took care of it. Set the traps and emptied them.
by dustinst22
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:31 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Purchasing a truck - thoughts?
Replies: 105
Views: 7280

Re: Purchasing a truck - thoughts?

You're not going to beat a Toyota for reliability in this category. There's a reason that all the vehicles built on the Tacoma platform win all the reliability awards.
by dustinst22
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:03 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Woodstock
Replies: 93
Views: 9605

Re: Woodstock

speedbump101 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:33 pm
Forty years ago today...
50 years? Yep, you're that old :)
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:46 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active
Replies: 87
Views: 5473

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

amazon balance reload. Hit them for $1 each every now and then. Some creditors will cancel the debt. Even better, Amazon's minimum is actually $0.50 . My rewards checking from my credit union requires 12 debit card transactions per month to get their 3% interest rate. I know I will be using Amazon ...
by dustinst22
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:31 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: How do you afford to travel?
Replies: 116
Views: 16843

Re: How do you afford to travel?

How do we afford it? Rarely pay for flights. Credit card churning pays for almost all flights. AirBnB also saves money. We take several trips a year.
by dustinst22
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:27 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Rolex
Replies: 87
Views: 13528

Re: Rolex

vandering wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:03 pm
Wingates Quality Watches www.tic-tock.com Have been using them for more than 20 years. Look there. Bought 3 Rolex Yachtmasters SS/Plat. Box and papers. 1 Cartier Panthere 18K gold. All legit. Good Luck
Good luck getting a steel watch there at retail :)
by dustinst22
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:56 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Critique my exercise routine because it's not working for me
Replies: 160
Views: 11146

Re: Critique my exercise routine because it's not working for me

mhalley wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:58 pm
I will second the stronglifts and MyFitnessPal. They both have apps you can use.
I lost 78 pounds with those 2 and have kept it off for 5 yrs.

Wow! Congrats, that is impressive!
by dustinst22
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:54 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Healthy fast food
Replies: 152
Views: 11701

Re: Healthy fast food

Chipotle salad with a meat and quac is a great option. Another option is something like flame broiler subtract out the rice and add veggies. Basically try to limit the simple carbs, find something with veggies and a protein. Obviously skip the soda.
by dustinst22
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:51 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?
Replies: 142
Views: 12081

Re: Ponder this, BH's... is Ben & Jerry's worth it?

I rarely buy ice cream, so when I do I'm willing to pay more for quality. Chunky Monkey a few times a year is worth the slightly extra cost.
by dustinst22
Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:51 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Rolex
Replies: 87
Views: 13528

Re: Rolex

I have to confess that I don't understand the logic behind buying a replica. People who know you, and whom you are likely trying to impress, probably know you can't afford the real one. As far as impressing people you don't know...what's the point? Agreed, there are plenty of very high quality affo...
by dustinst22
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:28 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Critique my exercise routine because it's not working for me
Replies: 160
Views: 11146

Re: Critique my exercise routine because it's not working for me

And how many sub 2:45 marathoners have you seen that are fat? Your math is right but the conclusion is questionable. Couple things. First, correlation does not equal causation -- it could simply be that elite (sub 2 45) marathoners tend to eat a lot more healthy than most. Second, a pound of fat bu...
by dustinst22
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:25 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Critique my exercise routine because it's not working for me
Replies: 160
Views: 11146

Re: Critique my exercise routine because it's not working for me

Thanks. Your point about more weights and less cardio seems to be inline with what I have read. However I found that doing more weights and less cardio almost instantly led to an increased waistline (within 2 weeks). Only when I re-upped the cardio did the waistline decrease again. This tells me yo...
by dustinst22
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:13 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Critique my exercise routine because it's not working for me
Replies: 160
Views: 11146

Re: Critique my exercise routine because it's not working for me

95% of weight loss is diet. If your diet isn't in check you aren't going to see much progress. Next, you should have at a min 3 sets of weight workouts a week. It's better for trimming fat and obv building muscle which in turn burns more calories. Cardio should mainly be to keep your lungs in shape....
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:50 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Best online retailer other than Amazon
Replies: 36
Views: 2388

Re: Best online retailer other than Amazon

Clothing online? In my experience, clothing manufacturers are completely ignorant of the term "manufacturing tolerance," so even if you're buying exactly the same item you've bought before, in the same listed size, you have to try it on to make sure it fits. I buy all sorts of clothing on amazon, o...
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:14 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active
Replies: 87
Views: 5473

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

always have auto pay statement balance set.
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:56 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Omega watch expenses
Replies: 38
Views: 3225

Re: Omega watch expenses

The thing is any nice watch is going to be expensive to maintain. Even an automatic will need expensive servicing every so often.

Another option is to just get a reasonably priced automatic like a Seiko. They're very reliable and relatively inexpensive.
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:53 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active
Replies: 87
Views: 5473

Re: Ideas for Little Charges to keep Cards active

amazon balance reload. Hit them for $1 each every now and then. Some creditors will cancel the debt.
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:38 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently
Replies: 120
Views: 14070

Re: Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently

if you are the type of person that is worried about fakes (which was brought up previously), ebay is even worse than Amazon on fakes. However, especially on big ticket items, you can save a lot of money on eBay if you wait for a coupon (either a 10-15% off coupon, or a 6-10% eBay Bucks promo). Yep,...
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:13 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Best online retailer other than Amazon
Replies: 36
Views: 2388

Re: Best online retailer other than Amazon

Or maybe spending $4,000 is a thinly disguised signal of its own. Median US household income is about $60,000, so after taxes, savings, food, housing, healthcare, transportation, there is not a lot of money left over for a typical consumer for Amazon. Yes, here's a newsflash -- average Americans sp...
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:50 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Best online retailer other than Amazon
Replies: 36
Views: 2388

Re: Best online retailer other than Amazon

I guess I'm saying that $4,000 is a huge amount when one adds up clothing, household goods, and gifts. A HUGE amount! I can see spending maybe $500 on those things every year. Not for the typical consumer it isn't. So I guess your question was really just a thinly disguised frugality virtue signal ...
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Best online retailer other than Amazon
Replies: 36
Views: 2388

Re: Best online retailer other than Amazon

Thanks, but I don't need any clothing: Remember by age. I'm not sure what household goods would cost $4,000 a year. Cleaning supplies (dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent) are not big items in my spending. We've got all the dishes, pots, pans, cutlery, small electric appliances, bed linens, tow...
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:13 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Best online retailer other than Amazon
Replies: 36
Views: 2388

Re: Best online retailer other than Amazon

At my age I already own everything that I need to buy except food and soap. I cannot imagine spending $4000 a year at Amazon or anywhere else. What are people buying? Household goods and clothing I'm assuming are the most common. Gift purchases (with wrapping included) are also convenient on Amazon.
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:47 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Best online retailer other than Amazon
Replies: 36
Views: 2388

Re: Best online retailer other than Amazon

Why rely on one retailer? Just quickly cross shop google shopping (access to tons of retailers and easy ability to sort by price), ebay, and amazon. That should allow you to hit the best prices for almost anything.
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:34 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently
Replies: 120
Views: 14070

Re: Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently

I'd love to see where this is studied and quantified - in my experience "rarely" is a big exaggeration. I rarely find a difference between the big retailers online (walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc) at all, although I rarely check ebay. Usually if I find something cheaper than Amazon has it, the di...
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Silicon Valley Interview Attire
Replies: 30
Views: 3141

Re: Silicon Valley Interview Attire

Agree with dark jeans, casual shirt, and maybe a cool looking sport jacket or navy blazer. Decently nice shoes for sure, this is the one area you really don't want to slack. If you can afford it, get something like Magnanni sneakers -- super nice quality comfortable leather and yet casual/hip.
by dustinst22
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently
Replies: 120
Views: 14070

Re: Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently

Katietsu wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:46 am

How often to you get a manufacturers warranty with a new item purchased on EBay? How do you identify those sellers?
I don't worry about warranties unless its a big major electronic purchase. In those cases I'll generally pay a bit more and through Costco (i.e. like our TV and vitamix).
by dustinst22
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:07 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently
Replies: 120
Views: 14070

Re: Amazon -- no longer the lowest prices, evidently

amazon hasn't been the price leader for many years. Always cross shop google shopping and ebay for any big purchases. Ebay is often the best actually and you can typically get a rebate thru rakuten. Costco is also not typically a price leader, but they have a great return policy and carry mostly all...
by dustinst22
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Amazon Prime - Value?
Replies: 114
Views: 11866

Re: Amazon Prime - Value?

The value is definitely declining, particularly with the price increases and video content competition from several players. It's quite easy to get the free shipping without prime (just purchase at least $25 for each order). Forcing yourself to use this option would probably reduce some amount of mi...
by dustinst22
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:48 am
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Ally & Marcus Dropping Some Interest Rates (Title Edited 8-8-19)
Replies: 59
Views: 8941

Re: Ally Dropping Interest Rate on their Online Savings Account 8-6-19

AvidGardener wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:07 am
Which bank has 3.3% high yield checking?
Heritage. I have 50 K with them (2 accounts, thinking about opening a 3rd). There is another called Orion with 4%, but I haven't bothered trying to switch banking.
by dustinst22
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:43 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: Ally & Marcus Dropping Some Interest Rates (Title Edited 8-8-19)
Replies: 59
Views: 8941

Re: Ally Dropping Interest Rate on their Online Savings Account 8-6-19

MikeG62 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:18 pm

What is the cap on the balance they will pay 3.3% on?
25 K, but they allow more than one account (I have 2 synched together, instant transfers).