Search found 14 matches

by Mithrilman
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:46 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: What's your U.S. : International ratio?
Replies: 169
Views: 31529

Re: What's your U.S. : International ratio?

Cut and pasted from a Bloomberg article... According to CRSP data, there were more than 9,100 U.S.-listed public companies in 1997. Today, that number is down to slightly more than 5,700. The Wilshire 5000, an index used as a proxy for all U.S. securities with readily available pricing data, holds j...
by Mithrilman
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Which 529 for CA resident? Utah vs NY vs MA vs NV?
Replies: 17
Views: 711

Re: Which 529 for CA resident? Utah vs NY vs MA vs NV?

I live in Texas. I've been EXTREMELY happy with Utah's 529. My son has been out of college for one year. My daughter will start in one year. Low expenses. Transfers, website, beneficiary designation, etc. always smooth. Nice run up over past 10-years hasn't hurt.
by Mithrilman
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:24 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: When do you re-allocate?
Replies: 4
Views: 319

When do you re-allocate?

Hypothetically, let's say that you have a domestic equities target of 50% in VTSAX. If unchanged it runs up to 51% after one month, 53% after one quarter, and 55% after one year. I'm curious about the different opinions of when you would re-allocate and shift some into bond funds. (I realize some of...
by Mithrilman
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Bonds - Am I missing something
Replies: 84
Views: 5595

Re: Bonds - Am I missing something

My bonds were up today, my stocks down. Glad part of my portfolio didn't tank :) total bond was down for the day, my cash stayed the same, and shares got cheaper. Glad we're both glad. Total bond was up 0.47% today, what are you looking at? See, e.g. https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?...
by Mithrilman
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:12 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard site is crashed now?
Replies: 188
Views: 14508

Re: Vanguard site is crashed now?

I'm a bit surprised this didn't become a news item. I can't seem to find any mention of it.
by Mithrilman
Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:52 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard site is crashed now?
Replies: 188
Views: 14508

Can't signon to Vanguard

[merged this topic and replies into the existing thread - moderator prudent]

Anyone else? Not a buyer or a seller today, but it is a bit unsettling to not be able to logon...
by Mithrilman
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:39 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio
Replies: 42
Views: 5862

Re: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio

You might consider using different bond funds (Short, Intermediate, Total) to match some or all of your expected liabilities. For instance, 3 years expenses in Short Term, 7 in Intermediate, and the rest in Total. I structured my portfolio this way and figure that I can either spend down equities o...
by Mithrilman
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio
Replies: 42
Views: 5862

Re: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio

It was recently suggested by a Vanguard rep to hold this allocation within the bond portion of my portfolio: Short Term VFSUX 14% Intermediate Term VFIDX 21% Total Bond VBTLX 35% International Bond 30% I also received the same advice from V/G (but minus the International bond portion) so must be st...
by Mithrilman
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:38 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio
Replies: 42
Views: 5862

Re: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio

OP, Can we get some more info: 1. How old are you, how many years to retirement? 2. Do you have a set of short term expenses that you are trying to fund from the bond fund (e.g. a Liability Matching Portfolio?) 4 bond funds seems a bit complicated but not sure if there are situational inputs we are...
by Mithrilman
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio
Replies: 42
Views: 5862

Re: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio

After digging into the calculations more, I believe they add VFSUX and VFIDX allocations because they feel VFIDX is too heavy on long-term maturities ~39% +10 years (of which 31.8% is +20 years). Interest rate risk... so they have to add shorter durations through the other two funds to get to their...
by Mithrilman
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:25 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio
Replies: 42
Views: 5862

Re: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio

After digging into the calculations more, I believe they add VFSUX and VFIDX allocations because they feel VFIDX is too heavy on long-term maturities ~39% +10 years (of which 31.8% is +20 years). Interest rate risk... so they have to add shorter durations through the other two funds to get to their ...
by Mithrilman
Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio
Replies: 42
Views: 5862

Re: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio

stan1 wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:35 pm
Some segment of their clientele will feel that an advisor is not adding value if they only recommend one fund so I think that's part of the reason why Vanguard Advisor Services adds more. Total Bond Market for everything is fine.
I think you hit the nail on the head...
by Mithrilman
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:33 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio
Replies: 42
Views: 5862

Vanguard's advice on bond portion of portfolio

First post :D It was recently suggested by a Vanguard rep to hold this allocation within the bond portion of my portfolio: Short Term VFSUX 14% Intermediate Term VFIDX 21% Total Bond VBTLX 35% International Bond 30% (I've not included the majority portion of the portfolio which is domestic/internati...