Search found 1027 matches

by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:50 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

Trying to get away with having an argument without paying? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAvcGcEc0k SO GOOD. I'm just here for 'being hit on the head lessons'... :D I don't understand. What is the argument to be had here? I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour? I mean, ...
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:49 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

If you want this post to stick around, you might want to ask a substantive question about something regarding finances. I can’t remember exactly what the criteria are for posts here, but I don’t think you’ve met them. That may be so. It does address issues within the boglehead community however. On...
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:48 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

It just completely shocked me that I can ask a question and have 1. people ignore the entire question. 2. have people impute a subjective intention. 3. respond to the subjective intention. That completely baffles me. I don't do this. The subjective intention of the one asking is completely irreleva...
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:46 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

happyisland wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:46 pm
anoop wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:37 pm

Trying to get away with having an argument without paying?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAvcGcEc0k
SO GOOD.
I'm just here for 'being hit on the head lessons'... :D

I don't understand. What is the argument to be had here?
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:45 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

Did you impute a subjective intention to what I wrote? You must be a blast at parties! Loosen up. I see a lot of good discussions here about oil prices and a whole bunch of other things that don't fit the typical Bogleheads philosophy. I don't do parties. I logic. If that makes me a 'sorry guy' who...
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:44 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

It just completely shocked me that I can ask a question and have 1. people ignore the entire question. 2. have people impute a subjective intention. 3. respond to the subjective intention. That completely baffles me. I don't do this. The subjective intention of the one asking is completely irrelevan...
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:41 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

As I was reading, I can self identify with some aspects of what you are describing but not really with the negative preaching part... But when you made an example and I read "TomCat" I immediately scrolled back up to see your username as it instantly reminded me of, well, you... And your posts, whi...
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:40 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

rbaldini wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:39 pm
Btw will be surprised if this thread doesn’t get shut down.
I'm hoping it helps to bridge a few gaps.
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:38 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

anoop wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:37 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:27 pm
Aren't you the guy who lied about "betting the house?"

What are you trying to accomplish with this thread and that one, other than to argue?
Trying to get away with having an argument without paying?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAvcGcEc0k

What argument is there to be had?
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:37 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

I think it's important to understand the intentions of these two groups. So, let me get this straight, it is important to "understand the intentions" of Bogleheads, but you chastise a poster for wanting to know what your intentions are? Is it chastising to say he is community minded? Did you impute...
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:33 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

Aren't you the guy who lied about "betting the house?" What are you trying to accomplish with this thread and that one, other than to argue? But I want you to consider your response. Why did you respond the way you did? Why did you go straight to my intentions? It's because you assume Im a bad guy,...
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:30 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

Aren't you the guy who lied about "betting the house?" What are you trying to accomplish with this thread and that one, other than to argue? But I want you to consider your response. Why did you respond the way you did? Why did you go straight to my intentions? It's because you assume Im a bad guy,...
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:29 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Re: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

Aren't you the guy who lied about "betting the house?" What are you trying to accomplish with this thread and that one, other than to argue? You assumed my intention is bad. You didnt think about any of points. You don't like me because I'm not one of you. So let's get this out there, I'm not one o...
by TomCat96
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:23 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.
Replies: 38
Views: 1971

Understanding the psychology of some boglehead posters.

I had to say something. I left for awhile, but given all the recent event's and discussions concerning CV and the market response I had to speak up. I see the boglehead discussions as becoming contentious. I think there is a split between the intentionality of two schools of boglehead thought. Note ...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:49 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Are you happy? Can you find anything else? Again, you're reading hostility that isn't there. I'm not trying to attack you. It was just mildly interesting. I did not anticipate the repeated exploration of my subjective intentions with this post. I don't know why people do that. But perhaps I should ...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:45 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Are you happy? Can you find anything else? Again, you're reading hostility that isn't there. I'm not trying to attack you. It was just mildly interesting. I did not anticipate the repeated exploration of my subjective intentions with this post. I don't know why people do that. But perhaps I should ...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:44 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

I wonder whether it would help put things in sharper perspective if we knew how far TomCat96 is from retirement. I don't believe I've seen it anywhere in this thread. TomCat96, I'm not asking you for information you may not want to share, but if you do, it might help us understand your situation. I...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:43 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Fine I'll give you that one. Ill admit, after 5pm to 9pm, I portrayed myself as a boglehead when I had in fact traded. It wasn't until the 11th hour though. you can scour my posts. Are you happy? Thanks for clarifying. Post by TomCat96 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:27 am clip651 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:40 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Honestly though, what are you all trying to get me on at this point? I understand that RubyTuesday was just confused. I'm curious what you'd comment on this: The OP is being a very good sport here. No, they are NOT being anything of the sort. OP stated Tuesday, February 25, 2020, at 7:38 pm, well A...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:36 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

I am currently 5% equities, and the rest is cash, bonds, precious metals. I sold... yesterday! But to me, the key is that I use a systematic trend-following rules-based approach, and it has been in my investment policy statement for years. I procure the signals from a well-known, well-respected ana...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:32 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

RubyTuesday wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:30 pm
It trying to get you, just not impressed by “confessions” made 4-5 days after a purported trade. In any event, going forward, announcing moves in advance or real time will have more credibility.
Well here it is now.

Trade executed 2/25/2020

10% gilead
90% treasuries.
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:31 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Honestly though, what are you all trying to get me on at this point? I understand that RubyTuesday was just confused. I'm curious what you'd comment on this: The OP is being a very good sport here. No, they are NOT being anything of the sort. OP stated Tuesday, February 25, 2020, at 7:38 pm, well A...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:15 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5053325#p5053325 That was your post this morning. Re-read the last line. That was me posting a prior post I wrote. Take a look at the top. You did not read the context. You were looking for something to "get me" on. I should have had it quotes. Post ...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:22 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

50 -100 new deaths reported each day in a number of states. at least 80,000 infected. (In the US) Several cities quarantined. Hospitals overwhelmed. Recession. Those numbers/conditions, I'd think, would certainly cause additional panic. IF these conditions do not (for whatever reasons) come to pass...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:20 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

hisdudeness wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:19 pm
Op: Could you give us a ballpark figure on how much $ you moved?
Considerably less than a million.

I am not nearly as rich as some of you.
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:15 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

'I'm waiting for others to be really fearful... I'm waiting for blood in the streets... I really don't know what that will look like though'... Seems like a solid plan to me. :happy For better or worse, that's the plan. Coming clean. That is the plan. Judge me for it. Extol me for it. Observe that ...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:12 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

The OP is being a very good sport here. No, they are NOT being anything of the sort. OP stated Tuesday, February 25, 2020, at 7:38 pm, well AFTER market close: Standard dollar cost averaging for me. I still intend to keep buying . Now is when you really make money. I actually dlslike buying in when...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:08 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Will re-enter "when others are fearful" 100% total market. Given the market action of late, I'd suggest some are fearful. I'm curious as to how you ultimately intend to quantify that "when others are fearful"? I'm pretty sure you won't be ACTUALLY looking for "blood in the streets"? Very good quest...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:00 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Earlier today posted you were 99+% stock. Now post sold it last Tuesday. I noticed that, too. What's with that, OP? Seems like you were misrepresenting some key facts. It's a misquote. I was 99% up till about tuesday. I posted the pivotal message where my views changed. I am now being clear. 10% gi...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:58 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Earlier today posted you were 99+% stock. Now post sold it last Tuesday. I noticed that, too. What's with that, OP? Seems like you were misrepresenting some key facts. It's a misquote. One of the individuals posted an image saying that I had bought more on thursday. That is false. If you click on t...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:49 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

TomCat, did you have major money in the market in 2008? If yes, what did you do then and in what ways do you feel this situation is the same or different? 2008 isn't a good metric for me. I was in law school and "timed" the market because I needed to pay tuition. I sold the entirety of my 401k beca...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:45 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

I'll be honest. I do not intend to get back in on monday. Again looking for a fear event. I find it unlikely i can be "greedy when others are fearful" on monday. It's too soon. Here's a quote: "Since 1987, the average correction length has actually been almost a month shorter than the 68-year avera...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:43 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

The objective was to come out of this owning more shares of total market than I did before. Well, that's easy enough then. How many shares did you own? Of, course those were all bought at different prices. But, could you own more shares than you had buying back in now? As soon as you can buy back i...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:40 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Blood in the streets, greedy when others are fearful. Thats my re-entry. Sounds to me like there are too many chicken little's running around already. Now may be time to be greedy, the fearful surely have taken over. I think we will see true fear begin to emerge when there is a Level 1 trading halt...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:38 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

I admit I did not read the whole thread. Did you actually bet the house? If you loose where will you live?! I dont blame you. I exited on tuesday 2/25/2020. 10% Gilead Stock 90% treasuries. Will re-enter "when others are fearful" 100% total market. That's my metric. You can use that to figure if I ...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:35 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

I have no children. No wife. Sounds like you have a few higher priority items you need to work on. It's likely to be much more productive exercise than this. Now may be good time to focus on that :sharebeer It doesn't always work out sometimes. I think those who are fearful, have a lot to lose. I d...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:34 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

I revealed my re-entry conditions. I will re-enter when the bogleheads who believe this is nothing more than the flu are convinced otherwise. I don't think this is a correct assumption that the majority of people believe that SARS-CoV-2 is "nothing more than the flu" (it's probably more like a mash...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:31 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Well, to be fair, OP certainly wasn't the only one selling stocks and piling into treasuries. So, he has lots of company. Of couse we have no idea as to who, specifically is turning to treasuries, but given the pop there has been some serious dollars pouring in. I like my bond funds increases, give...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:29 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Earlier today posted you were 99+% stock. Now post sold it last Tuesday. I don’t take seriously any claims of past trades that seem prescient now unless posted real time. In any event, good luck and do post your updates. No that was a misquote. Let me be clear. I exited on tuesday 2/25/2020. 10% Gi...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:27 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

You're looking for me to articulate what it looks like? I really can only speculate. So this is not part of my prediction. But I imagine blood in the streets to look like 50 -100 new deaths reported each day in a number of states. at least 80,000 infected. Several cities quarantined. Hospitals over...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:20 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

I revealed my re-entry conditions. I will re-enter when the bogleheads who believe this is nothing more than the flu are convinced otherwise. I don't think this is a correct assumption that the majority of people believe that SARS-CoV-2 is "nothing more than the flu" (it's probably more like a mash...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:14 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

You're looking for me to articulate what it looks like? I really can only speculate. So this is not part of my prediction. But I imagine blood in the streets to look like 50 -100 new deaths reported each day in a number of states. at least 80,000 infected. Several cities quarantined. Hospitals over...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:10 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

What question are we trying to answer? I'm not sure this is actionable. I disagree. Over the years there have been a number of such posts where people put themselves out there timing the market. Most if not all stand as pillars of support validating the boglehead philosophy. Now it is my turn. If y...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:04 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

But yes to re-iterate, what I am looking for is a blood in the streets event. Don't ask me what that looks like I don't know. Martial law declared? You're looking for me to articulate what it looks like? I really can only speculate. So this is not part of my prediction. But I imagine blood in the s...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:56 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

I will re-enter when the bogleheads who believe this is nothing more than the flu are convinced otherwise. Interesting strategy, thank you. If it so happens that you are in error, and that bogleheads never believe that it is more than a flu, when will you admit defeat? If they are right, and the to...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:52 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

Let's be clear on how to splice this.. Bogleheads you are used to seeing it this way: 1. The market has gone down. I am so scared that I want to sell. I can't handle the drops. The above is the type of market timing you perceive. I am sorry but that is not what is happening here. This is how I perc...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:39 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

This thread is a good reminder to me that watching the market too closely might lead to an emotional reaction... Good thing that the OP's behavioral clearly was not driven by emotions. Clearly? :happy I'd say so. The OP hasn't been saying things like "Oh no! I just lost four years' spending in the ...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:32 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

TomCat96, in order to make any intelligent appraisal of your strategy, we need to know two things. 1) What should we compare it to? Basically, you seem to be talking about a change in strategy, so what would you have done otherwise? Since you mention being >99% in stocks, it seems to me that you ar...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:25 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

I don't like the way some of the posters are responding to you. While I don't agree with what you have done, I certainly am not rooting for you to fail. I genuinely hope this turns out well for you. I hope you can take a step back and consider something. If you look back at your posting history - w...
by TomCat96
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:21 pm
Forum: Personal Investments
Topic: I bet the house. [Rebalanced portfolio to a 10/90 asset allocation]
Replies: 255
Views: 10133

Re: I bet the house.

https://i.imgur.com/JlcpTQb.png?1 I'm rewriting since Tom pre-sponded to what I was typing before I could submit, but this image may be useful, regardless. You can see the evolution of my views on the matter. Again, not denying it. Evolution is a curious word choice. You went from being convinced y...