Search found 6817 matches

by sport
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Almost flat yield curve implications.
Replies: 3
Views: 102

Re: Almost flat yield curve implications.

Another related question is: why are long interest rates so low?
by sport
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:56 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Bond Dividend / Cost Basis Question
Replies: 6
Views: 103

Re: Bond Dividend / Cost Basis Question

You are down the 4K because you took the money out of the fund in the form of dividends. This is not true. S/He is down 4K because yields increased. What he did with the bond dividends is another matter. If he needed to spend the dividends then that is simply what he had to do. But the total return...
by sport
Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:48 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Bond Dividend / Cost Basis Question
Replies: 6
Views: 103

Re: Bond Dividend / Cost Basis Question

You are down the 4K because you took the money out of the fund in the form of dividends.
by sport
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:23 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Which Supermarket are you?
Replies: 126
Views: 5588

Re: Which Supermarket are you?

skp wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:46 am
Walmart is also the only place I know that carries large containers of deluxe mixed nuts.
Try Costco. The quality of the mixed nuts, among others, will be better and the price most likely lower. We live close to a Walmart and would never consider buying packaged nuts there.
by sport
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:44 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: IRA concerns
Replies: 29
Views: 971

Re: IRA concerns

retiredjg wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:41 pm
you are not yet 55.9
Make that 59.5 :happy
by sport
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:26 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: IRA concerns
Replies: 29
Views: 971

Re: IRA concerns

123 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:23 pm
The transaction fee for buying Vanguard funds at Schwab or Fidelity (somewhere like $60 - $80) is a bargain when you consider the lower ER and when purchasing large amounts, like you would be, is inconsequential.
Of course, the transaction fee for these Vanguard funds at Vanguard is $0.00
by sport
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:09 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Which Supermarket are you?
Replies: 126
Views: 5588

Re: Which Supermarket are you?

Costco and a well-respected local chain, Heinen's.
by sport
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:06 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Mercantil Bank CD?
Replies: 3
Views: 228

Mercantil Bank CD?

Would you have any concern about buying a brokered CD from Mercantil Bank? I know it would be FDIC insured. OTOH, its parent company is in Venezuela.
by sport
Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Flaw in Logic? CD ladder instead of bond funds
Replies: 63
Views: 4311

Re: Flaw in Logic? CD ladder instead of bond funds

You can buy an additional $10K/year of I Bonds at TD for your living trust using an entity account. You could make your own living trust using the NOLO press book and template, if for no other reason than to get an additional $10K/year of I Bonds. When I was buying I bonds, I was buying $20K/year--...
by sport
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:15 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: CD ladders vs bond funds
Replies: 5
Views: 764

Re: CD ladders vs bond funds

You should consider both direct and brokered CDs. Brokered CDs do not have the early-withdrawal-with-a-penalty feature. If you want to get your money out of one, you have to sell it on the open market. However, they tend to pay a higher yield to make up for this "inconvenience". Five year brokered C...
by sport
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:54 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Flaw in Logic? CD ladder instead of bond funds
Replies: 63
Views: 4311

Re: Flaw in Logic? CD ladder instead of bond funds

I'm a banker. The market for CDs has crumbled over the last decade, though people are starting to think about them again. It hasn't been worth locking into a CD because even the longer term ones haven't been paying more than a money market fund. The thing about CDs to remember is that they aren't p...
by sport
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:43 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Flaw in Logic? CD ladder instead of bond funds
Replies: 63
Views: 4311

Re: Flaw in Logic? CD ladder instead of bond funds

I don't think it is flawed. I have grown to have a preference for CDs over bond funds. I don't think "liquidity" is even a factor with CD's, you don't have to find someone to buy a CD you just cash it in with the bank. With some banks, you can do an early withdrawal from a CD via the banks online p...
by sport
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:35 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Will Vanguard/Fidelity automatically deduct QCD from RMD?
Replies: 27
Views: 2377

Re: Will Vanguard/Fidelity automatically deduct QCD from RMD?

I thought that you had to withdraw the QCD before making any RMD withdrawal No. The first withdrawals from your account must be part or all of your RMD. Those withdrawals can be QCDs or ordinary withdrawals. If you want your QCD to be part of your RMD, you must make the QCD before you have complete...
by sport
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:28 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Where to invest $50K+ down payment money for five years?
Replies: 49
Views: 3898

Re: Where to invest $50K+ down payment money for five years?

The poster livesoft suggested a while back that we invest our house downpayment until we were ready to move. If I had listened to him, we'd have had about $15k more money in our down payment. (Our window wasn't as long as 5 years either.) I'd wait to see what his advice is now. :happy Market change...
by sport
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard accounts
Replies: 11
Views: 894

Re: Vanguard accounts

You can open a Prime MM fund in your brokerage account as well as any other Vanguard funds. All CD interest payments go into the settlement fund. So does the principle at maturity. From there, you can move it to anything you wish. Each CD is shown as a separate holding. All new Vanguard accounts are...
by sport
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:31 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Life in retirement - what did you do today?
Replies: 179
Views: 15091

Re: Life in retirement - what did you do today?

Faith20879 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:48 am
work is boring but have no idea how to fill my days if I stop.
Here is an idea: Find a hobby you like. Many people find this is a good one in retirement. www.acbl.org
Caution. If you find that you enjoy it, it can be addictive.
by sport
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:31 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: SleepScore App
Replies: 7
Views: 665

Re: SleepScore App

I also have been having sleep difficulties. I learned that there are doctors who specialize in this area. My suggestion is to ask your primary care doctor for a referral. The "sleep doctor" has helped me.
by sport
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:27 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: A vehicle that "sits up" but can't afford CRV
Replies: 63
Views: 4948

Re: A vehicle that "sits up" but can afford CRV

She might even try a sedan with a power seat. The vertical adjustment is great for shorter drivers.
by sport
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:04 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Career advice (take the promotion or not)
Replies: 25
Views: 2869

Re: Career advice (take the promotion or not)

There is a third possibility. Look for a new employer. You state that this one does not pay well enough and the opportunities for advancement are very limited. You have been there 5 years. "Lack of opportunity for advancement" is a legitimate reason to look for a new job, and the lack of progression...
by sport
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:54 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Bumper Repair
Replies: 9
Views: 523

Bumper Repair

My Camry suffered a misfortune and ended up with a "pushed in" corner of the rear bumper. It really looked bad. I was thinking that it would cost several hundreds of dollars to repair. Before I took It to the body shop, I had it in to my independent mechanic for service. He gave me the name of a bod...
by sport
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:28 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Cash, getting to it
Replies: 8
Views: 928

Re: Cash, getting to it

If you put money into the stock market via mutual funds, it is easy and fast to get out of the investment. The problem is, that in the short term, your investment may have lost money and if you want to take it out, it will not all be there. The general rule, is to only put long term money into stock...
by sport
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Any problem opening fund "Investor", then building to "Admiral"?
Replies: 25
Views: 1564

Re: Any problem opening fund "Investor", then building to "Admiral"?

blevine wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 am
Compared to most things I do in life, buying/selling ETFs are among the simpler tasks.
Maybe making cereal for breakfast is easier, but then again there are so many choices of cereal, how do you pick ?
Sure, but we are not comparing ETFs with cereal. We are comparing ETFs with mutual funds.
by sport
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Any problem opening fund "Investor", then building to "Admiral"?
Replies: 25
Views: 1564

Re: Any problem opening fund "Investor", then building to "Admiral"?

Why not just buy ETF and keep it ? There are many funds with no etf class, but if so, no reason to go with investor or admiral. ETFs require dealing with spreads, whole shares only, limit orders, market orders, premiums, discounts, etc. Mutual funds are simple to buy and sell. Just enter the dollar...
by sport
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:22 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: 401K Contribution for Married Couples
Replies: 5
Views: 510

Re: 401K Contribution for Married Couples

Before I retired, I had a good, but not great, 401k. DW had a terrible 403b teacher's plan that specified annuities with insurance companies. We took the money she would have put into that and put it into my 401K instead. We also funded IRAs. So, you do what is best for the two of you, and do what y...
by sport
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:47 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Any problem opening fund "Investor", then building to "Admiral"?
Replies: 25
Views: 1564

Re: Any problem opening fund "Investor", then building to "Admiral"?

Not just fees. The admiral fund is behaved like an ETF with minimal trade. So lower you cap gain tax. You should build on Admiral fund if money allows. This is not correct. The admiral shares and investor shares are both shares in the same fund, with the same advantages and disadvantages. The only ...
by sport
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:45 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Question about dividend yield on funds.
Replies: 11
Views: 329

Re: Question about dividend yield on funds.

A stock mutual fund owns a "basket" of stock in various companies. Some of these stocks pay a dividend that the fund pays out to you, minus the expenses of the fund. What you are really interested in is the growth in value of the stocks. So, there are two parts to the total return of a stock fund: d...
by sport
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Anyone with a paid off house drop homeowners insurance
Replies: 78
Views: 5394

Re: Anyone with a paid off house drop homeowners insurance

The liability coverage is a must. That should answer the question.
by sport
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:10 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: For Sale By Owner (FSBO) purchase - how much discount can I expect?
Replies: 22
Views: 1603

Re: For Sale By Owner (FSBO) purchase - how much discount can I expect?

Discount off of what? There is no MSRP for a house. The seller asks what he wants and the buyer offers what they will pay. If there is an overlap, there is a sale. You can always justify offering less than asking price, but you don't have to justify any offer you make. Your offer is just that, an of...
by sport
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: VMMXX (Vanguard Prime MM) risks
Replies: 71
Views: 7331

Re: VMMXX (Vanguard Prime MM) risks

Another way to look at this: Compared to stock funds and bond funds, VMMXX has so much less risk that it is not a concern. If you are worried about the safety of VMMXX, how can you sleep at night holding bond and stock funds? Accordingly the risk level of VMMXX is way down the list of things I worry...
by sport
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:44 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Shifting money for house from stock funds
Replies: 12
Views: 883

Re: Shifting money for house from stock funds

I would say that your main concern should be when to change to more conservative investments regardless of the tax impact. You don't want your 500K to become 300K when you are ready to use it. I would consider a strategy to get the money out of stocks completely within 2 years. In fact, some say you...
by sport
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:21 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Life in retirement - what did you do today?
Replies: 179
Views: 15091

Re: Life in retirement - what did you do today?

I played duplicate bridge today in a STaC game. Scored some silver points. If you are a duplicate bridge player you will understand what all that means.
by sport
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:50 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: 2018 RAV 4 or Camry
Replies: 28
Views: 1878

Re: 2018 RAV 4 or Camry

The best way to decide is for both of you to test drive both cars. Until you actually get into and out of them, you will not know.
by sport
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:50 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Where to invest $50K+ down payment money for five years?
Replies: 49
Views: 3898

Re: Where to invest $50K+ down payment money for five years?

I would use CDs for that purpose. You could get a 5-year CD, or a 3-year CD followed by a 2-year CD if you think rates will increase enough during the first 3 years. Brokered CDs are yielding 3% for 3 years and 3.3% for 5 years. Also, where do u find CDs over 3%? Every CD I find doesn’t offer much ...
by sport
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:47 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Where to invest $50K+ down payment money for five years?
Replies: 49
Views: 3898

Re: Where to invest $50K+ down payment money for five years?

I would use CDs for that purpose. You could get a 5-year CD, or a 3-year CD followed by a 2-year CD if you think rates will increase enough during the first 3 years. Brokered CDs are yielding 3% for 3 years and 3.3% for 5 years. CD rates are fixed right?? If I buy a CD for three years earning 3%, t...
by sport
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:02 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Where to invest $50K+ down payment money for five years?
Replies: 49
Views: 3898

Re: Where to invest $50K+ down payment money for five years?

I would use CDs for that purpose. You could get a 5-year CD, or a 3-year CD followed by a 2-year CD if you think rates will increase enough during the first 3 years. Brokered CDs are yielding 3% for 3 years and 3.3% for 5 years.
by sport
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:03 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Investing some of mom's money,
Replies: 31
Views: 2001

Re: Investing some of mom's money,

Gmaynardkrebs...I asked my mom about the FDIC. She said" It's her understanding that EACH acct is a separate one and that EACH is insured for $250,000". I am hoping that is the case, I have to find out...anyone? That is not correct. It is $250,000 per institution per registration type (single, join...
by sport
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:29 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Credit Union CDs in my IRA
Replies: 4
Views: 367

Re: Credit Union CDs in my IRA

You should also be aware that 2-year brokered CDs are available at 2.8%
by sport
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:24 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: What does "tap into" the Social Security trust fund mean?
Replies: 29
Views: 2265

Re: What does "tap into" the Social Security trust fund mean?

I understand that social security receipts are all spent as they are received. Then treasury bonds for this money are placed in the “trust fund. “ That means there is no money actually in the trust fund. Recently I hear that soon we will have to “tap into” the trust fund because current receipts do...
by sport
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:21 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard upgraded my accounts - angry [Brokerage Services]
Replies: 222
Views: 31236

Re: Vanguard upgraded my accounts - angry [Brokerage Services]

I believe that converting admiral shares to investor shares or ETFs is not a taxable event, as long as it is in the same fund.
by sport
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:40 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Moving to a house from a condo
Replies: 7
Views: 648

Re: Moving to a house from a condo

I don't understand. You bought the condo five years ago for 295K. It is a "hot real estate market". The condo should be worth 350K to 375K now. You bought the condo when you were single. Now, you have two incomes to work with. Yet, you say that a 450K house is unaffordable?
by sport
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:55 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard upgraded my accounts - angry [Brokerage Services]
Replies: 222
Views: 31236

Re: Vanguard upgraded my accounts - angry [Brokerage Services]

I believe all brokerage accounts have been upgraded, whether you OK'd it or not. One of our accounts is the old style mutual fund account with an attached brokerage account for stocks, CDs etc. There is a sweep account in the brokerage account even though there is also a Federal MM fund in the mutu...
by sport
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:45 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Vanguard upgraded my accounts - angry [Brokerage Services]
Replies: 222
Views: 31236

Re: Vanguard upgraded my accounts - angry [Brokerage Services]

I believe all brokerage accounts have been upgraded, whether you OK'd it or not. One of our accounts is the old style mutual fund account with an attached brokerage account for stocks, CDs etc. There is a sweep account in the brokerage account even though there is also a Federal MM fund in the mutu...
by sport
Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:20 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Investing some of mom's money,
Replies: 31
Views: 2001

Re: Investing some of mom's money,

You might want to check the "unclaimed funds" website for your state. You might find even more assets that were neglected.
by sport
Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:11 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Car Lease for parents
Replies: 37
Views: 2515

Re: Car Lease for parents

clemrick wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:36 pm
if they pass before the end of 3 years we could use the car.
Since you have use for the car, they should just buy one, new or used according to their means.
by sport
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:19 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Penfed CD @ 3% - 5 year
Replies: 16
Views: 2168

Re: Penfed CD @ 3% - 5 year

The process is very simple. Click on the one you want, enter the dollar amount, submit. BTW, there is no "early withdrawal". If you want your money early, you have to sell the CD on the open market. Since there is not a big market in CDs, the spreads tend to hurt you. Of course, if rates go up, you ...
by sport
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:13 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: negotating salary for lateral move
Replies: 7
Views: 526

Re: negotating salary for lateral move

Is this change within the same company, or changing to a new employer?
Just because the title is the same, does not mean it is a lateral move. If there is more responsibility, it is a promotion of sorts and should be appropriately compensated.
by sport
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Large inheritance -- looking for advice
Replies: 56
Views: 6503

Re: Large inheritance -- looking for advice

One possibility is that you can use Vanguard's Personal Advisor Service. The cost is no more than 0.30% of the amount they manage. I believe it might even be less for the amount of your holdings. The nice thing about this service, aside from the lower cost, is that you can discontinue the service at...
by sport
Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:28 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: all RMD withholding at YearEnd
Replies: 11
Views: 592

Re: all RMD withholding at YearEnd

Apparently, Vanguard will withhold for those states that require such withholding by the custodian. Otherwise, Vanguard does not want to go to the trouble of setting up the mechanism for the states that do not have such a requirement. I actually wrote to my state tax commissioner and asked about se...