Search found 9 matches

by skyghost
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:01 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Who is doing 50:50 traditional:Roth 401k/TSP
Replies: 40
Views: 2334

Re: Who is doing 50:50 traditional:Roth 401k/TSP

I sort of do 50/50. That's to say, my goal in the next 5 years is to get my total Roth balances about equal to my total pre-tax balances. In the beginning I was pre-tax mostly (when I should have been Roth, but didn't know what a Roth IRA was). A few years after that I had just started my Roth IRA ...
by skyghost
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Any non-CD option to park downpayment for a year?
Replies: 9
Views: 1082

Re: Any non-CD option to park downpayment for a year?

I'd look into a Ally no penalty CD. No penalty for pulling your money out early and up to 1.5%
by skyghost
Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Hep with rethinking portfolio.
Replies: 11
Views: 1386

Re: Hep with rethinking portfolio.

ok I think we are on the same page now. I thought you were talking about a normal year when i was fully employed. I know a lot about individual tax so when you mentioned it would be penalty free, i knew there would still be tax on it if i could not off set it with deductions.
by skyghost
Thu May 18, 2017 5:07 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Hep with rethinking portfolio.
Replies: 11
Views: 1386

Re: Hep with rethinking portfolio.

<< Also I do want to have better access to som A) You can withdraw your Roth IRA contribution any time without penalty. B) You can withdraw your Trad. 401K money without penalty using Roth Conversion. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Roth_IRA_conversion So, you can access your money even if they are...
by skyghost
Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Hep with rethinking portfolio.
Replies: 11
Views: 1386

Re: Hep with rethinking portfolio.

Sorry for the multiple questions but I have been doing some more thinking on this. In the soonish future I may be living outside of the US for a certain period of time and was thinking it may be easier to mange everything with Schwab due to their live 24/7 support and other benefits. If I do this, I...
by skyghost
Mon May 15, 2017 8:12 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Hep with rethinking portfolio.
Replies: 11
Views: 1386

Re: Hep with rethinking portfolio.

So in your example you have 15% bonds and 5% cash to equal the total 20% bonds allocation. Given that I already have my OOP medical expenses covered with cash in another part of my HSA account, would you put this in the COLUMBIA US TREASURY INDEX FUND in the HSA? Not crazy about the .41% expense ra...
by skyghost
Sun May 14, 2017 9:31 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Hep with rethinking portfolio.
Replies: 11
Views: 1386

Re: Hep with rethinking portfolio.

Thank you for the detailed feedback. skyghost , welcome to the forum. Age: 29 Desired Asset allocation: 80% stocks / 20% bonds Desired International allocation: 25-30% of stocks Reasonable for your age. Just be aware that 30% of 80% stocks is 24% international stocks. 2 5% was the top end of what I ...
by skyghost
Sun May 14, 2017 9:00 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Hep with rethinking portfolio.
Replies: 11
Views: 1386

Re: Hep with rethinking portfolio.

IMHO, you should keep 1year of max OUt of pocket expenses in cahs formyour HSA. 5 or 6 years ago I came down what turned out to be a "virus" of unknown origin or name. It attacked the nerves in my hands and arms and lasted 3 months. I far exceeded the OOP amount ny August of the year. I was glad to...
by skyghost
Sun May 14, 2017 12:54 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Hep with rethinking portfolio.
Replies: 11
Views: 1386

Hep with rethinking portfolio.

Hi I just finished reading the boglehead's guide to investing (great book, already recommended it to a few friends) and it got me thinking about simplifying my current portfolio. Right now I probably have about 8 or 9 ETFs and a small percentage in individual stock for speculation (less than 4 or 5%...