Search found 381 matches

by MindBogler
Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:05 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Making the best of a terrible 401k
Replies: 15
Views: 615

Re: Making the best of a terrible 401k

2 more posts Livesoft, go go!~
by MindBogler
Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:04 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Making the best of a terrible 401k
Replies: 15
Views: 615

Re: Making the best of a terrible 401k

I just noticed that the brochures for the plan are nearly 3 years old. There is an e-mail for the adviser on the brochure. I'll see if I can get some updated information. At any rate, I find the whole thing appalling. The advisor is probably related to the company owner either directly or by marria...
by MindBogler
Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:58 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Making the best of a terrible 401k
Replies: 15
Views: 615

Re: Making the best of a terrible 401k

Max out contributions if possible, allowing your spouse to accumulate his/her own retirement assets. Personally, I think that's important. Concur with jalbert that American Balanced Fund is a good choice. My spouse invests 100% in that although the R6 shares have a .29ER. As of now, my spouse and I...
by MindBogler
Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:04 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Making the best of a terrible 401k
Replies: 15
Views: 615

Re: Making the best of a terrible 401k

I just noticed that the brochures for the plan are nearly 3 years old. There is an e-mail for the adviser on the brochure. I'll see if I can get some updated information. At any rate, I find the whole thing appalling.
by MindBogler
Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:41 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Making the best of a terrible 401k
Replies: 15
Views: 615

Re: Making the best of a terrible 401k

Your contribute 6% to get the match plan looks OK to me if spouse expects to be with this employer for decades. But this is fairly unusual these days. If he/she is apt to be leaving in a few years, the assets can be moved before that extra 1% in the expense ratio has time to compound drastically. T...
by MindBogler
Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:37 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Making the best of a terrible 401k
Replies: 15
Views: 615

Re: Making the best of a terrible 401k

Those choices look outstanding compared to my spouse's earlier craptacular 401(k) plan. My advice is to max out the contributions and to select the lowest expense ratio RIDBX or perhaps RBFBX, but fund choice doesn't really matter as long as it fits in the family asset allocation plan. Then when th...
by MindBogler
Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:23 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Amazon Prime Getting Stingy?
Replies: 59
Views: 6312

Re: Amazon Prime Getting Stingy?

I notice that sometimes prime shipments start to be delayed. As in they still appear to ship in 2 days once tracking is received, but they take 1-2 days to actually ship. I suspect shenanigans on the back end, as in they ship the packages via cheaper freight to a destination and then use 2 day shipp...
by MindBogler
Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:14 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Making the best of a terrible 401k
Replies: 15
Views: 615

Making the best of a terrible 401k

My spouse has what might be one of the worst possible 401k lineups I've ever seen. It does have a 5% match and a profit share that vests 20% per year up to 5 years. My thought is to invest 6% (to meet the match) and then fill out a Roth instead. My 401k is outstanding and already maxed at 18k/yr. Ou...
by MindBogler
Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:47 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Why International Stocks
Replies: 73
Views: 6259

Re: Why International Stocks

...US valuations now much higher and expected returns much lower.... Why is that necessarily the case? Can't it be that growth is expected to be higher in the US than international markets and then you would end up with the same returns after valuations revert to historical averages? It isn't neces...
by MindBogler
Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:37 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Why International Stocks
Replies: 73
Views: 6259

Re: Why International Stocks

I've shared my arbitrary portfolio in the past: 20% LT Treasury 20% LCG 20% SCV 20% EAFE 20% EM This starts at 50-50 domestic/intl split which is about right for market weight. I am not comfortable having all my stocks in the US. I get that I have gross tilts to SCV and EM but I accept that risk. I ...
by MindBogler
Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:24 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: How often do you hit your rebalancing bands?
Replies: 31
Views: 1913

Re: How often do you hit your rebalancing bands?

Very infrequent typically. New contributions are typically directed to the lowest category which helps prevent hitting the the band on the low end. I've had them hit twice this year, and within 1 week, pre/post-election. That is not normal. It is not uncommon to go all year without hitting one -- or...
by MindBogler
Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Retreat to cash
Replies: 168
Views: 12606

Re: Retreat to cash

Hurry up and do nothing already. :twisted:
by MindBogler
Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:07 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Why are bonds dropping? They are supposed to be safe.
Replies: 171
Views: 19247

Re: Why are bonds dropping? They are supposed to be safe.

Well, according to the "USA TODAY" - "Bond investors lost more than $1 trillion on global bonds as they braced for changes by President-elect Donald Trump, which could result in higher interest rates and more inflation". Inflation is good, inflation is bad, listening to pundits ...
by MindBogler
Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:12 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: which pickup truck
Replies: 65
Views: 6338

Re: which pickup truck

RAM will have the best ride among the full size trucks, and closest to a "family" truck. As a work truck, the Chevy will be your best bet. The F150 super crew is much more spacious, particularly in the back seat, than the RAM and it rides much better, it's not even comparable. The back se...
by MindBogler
Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:15 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Idea behind investing is NOT to get rich...
Replies: 51
Views: 8864

Re: Idea behind investing is NOT to get rich...

This was quite a thread resurrection, look at the original date! I don't necessarily agree. The idea behind *retirement* investing is to provide for oneself during that period. If one saves sufficiently during accumulation, it is entirely possible to have income in excess of pre-retirement liabiliti...
by MindBogler
Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:05 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Infrastructure investments
Replies: 14
Views: 1253

Re: Infrastructure investments

The total stimulus package was less than $1 trillion and the total infrastructure spending was only around $100 billion. The largest chunks of stimulus "spending" went to tax cuts and credits. As iceport noted, I don't think the ARRA experience tells us much looking forward to the next ro...
by MindBogler
Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:45 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Infrastructure investments
Replies: 14
Views: 1253

Re: Infrastructure investments

Republicans in Congress opposed spending more on infrastructure when it was proposed by President Obama. Whether that was a political position or based on a true concern about deficit spending, who can say. The point is that I wouldn't assume that campaign promises of $500 billion in new infrastruc...
by MindBogler
Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:40 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Valuation of Donated Items
Replies: 9
Views: 617

Re: Valuation of Donated Items

Personally, I don't take deductions for donated household goods. I think the perceived value is likely to be much higher than the actual value. It's an area easily and often abused, so if the donee doesn't value the goods, I don't either. Charitable deductions exist for a reason. If you choose not ...
by MindBogler
Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:39 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Valuation of Donated Items
Replies: 9
Views: 617

Re: Valuation of Donated Items

I have used itsdeductible for the past 8-10 years. No problems (yet?) with the IRS. Another vote for itsdeductible here. It integrates seamlessly into Turbotax online/offline. I've used it for the last 7-8 years, it's always reasonable and I've never been audited based on the valuations. We claim >...
by MindBogler
Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:00 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]
Replies: 34
Views: 8382

Re: Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]

My EM is at -3.57%. If this keeps up, I'll have to buy EM as well. It might be time to fund the Roth for the year...
by MindBogler
Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:44 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]
Replies: 34
Views: 8382

Re: Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]

livesoft wrote:I think you will regret not rebalancing back.

I rebalanced back. Que sera sera!
by MindBogler
Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:01 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]
Replies: 34
Views: 8382

Re: Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]

I rebalanced out of bonds into SCV about 3 days ago. The only thing bad today is now my bonds went from 0 -> -5% band and SCV is at +6%. I don't like making moves in quick succession and I can't say I've ever hit a band twice in 3 days, so I'll just wait it out for awhile. I think you will regret n...
by MindBogler
Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:55 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]
Replies: 34
Views: 8382

Re: Today was an RBD ... [Really Bad Day]

I rebalanced out of bonds into SCV about 3 days ago. The only thing bad today is now my bonds went from 0 -> -5% band and SCV is at +6%. I don't like making moves in quick succession and I can't say I've ever hit a band twice in 3 days, so I'll just wait it out for awhile.
by MindBogler
Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:43 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Bonds are getting crushed...
Replies: 42
Views: 8834

Re: Bonds are getting crushed...

You folks are going to lose your minds when we have a real market movement. What a great day to buy.

:moneybag
by MindBogler
Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:14 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Slipping last few days- time to buy now or wait until after 11/8?
Replies: 99
Views: 10200

Re: Slipping last few days- time to buy now or wait until after 11/8?

joebh wrote:I don't think I understand your point. Are you saying that widespread emotional behavior, volatility and profit taking don't move markets?

This is just the most recent excuse people have used to convince themselves that this time is different. Was that not clear?
by MindBogler
Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:23 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Slipping last few days- time to buy now or wait until after 11/8?
Replies: 99
Views: 10200

Re: Slipping last few days- time to buy now or wait until after 11/8?

cheese_breath wrote:Four years from now there will probably be another ridiculous thread just like this. :?

Of that, we can be certain!
:sharebeer
by MindBogler
Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:14 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Slipping last few days- time to buy now or wait until after 11/8?
Replies: 99
Views: 10200

Re: Slipping last few days- time to buy now or wait until after 11/8?

The hand wringing in this thread is nonsensical. Are memories so short that we've already forgotten Brexit? Election "uncertainty" is nothing more than an excuse for emotional behavior, volatility and profit taking. It doesn't matter who wins. Four years from now this thread will look ridi...
by MindBogler
Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:04 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: How much home can/should one buy?
Replies: 144
Views: 8619

Re: How much home can/should one buy?

In order to say that, are you claiming that most people rent THE SAME HOUSE as what they buy? If not, my statement must be true. As per my observations, people buy MORE HOUSE than what they rent. KlangFool Excellent anecdote. I don't have access to data that suggests either way. Regardless, I do kn...
by MindBogler
Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:36 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: How much home can/should one buy?
Replies: 144
Views: 8619

Re: How much home can/should one buy?

FYI, I believe Klangfool's suggestions are not representative of average boglehead opinion. I'd go a step further and say that Klangfool's opinion (stated as fact) that renting is cheaper than owning is dubious at best. Renters bear exactly the same cost as homeowners and in addition, they typicall...
by MindBogler
Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:22 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Navy Federal Credit Union - not so different from banks
Replies: 45
Views: 3178

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union - not so different from banks

This cited section appears to apply to non-banks - not FDIC insured banks. Disclaimer: I don't know if Willard's assertion regarding deposits is correct. I bank at a CU so I don't even want to investigate (the claim). However, upon a cursory glance of the Dodd-Frank Title II, it applies nebulously ...
by MindBogler
Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:03 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Navy Federal Credit Union - not so different from banks
Replies: 45
Views: 3178

Re: Credit Unions - not so different from banks

dm200 wrote:Since you refuse to cite provisions of law (allowable), I can only assume there are no such provisions (as you state and interpret).

There are so many things wrong with this logic, I don't even know where to begin. :confused
by MindBogler
Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:46 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: A time to EVALUATE your jitters
Replies: 185
Views: 76131

Re: A time to EVALUATE your jitters

MindBogler wrote:This too shall pass.

2 months later... what happened again?
by MindBogler
Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:45 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: RBD fans, Dan Wiener has news! [Really Bad Day]
Replies: 40
Views: 5143

Re: RBD fans, Dan Wiener has news! [Really Bad Day]

Lions, tigers and strawmen, oh my!
by MindBogler
Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:57 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Google Word Processing and Spreadsheet
Replies: 29
Views: 3084

Re: Google Word Processing and Spreadsheet

Personally I think its just a matter of time before MS Office is redundant if not gone. I think we see it everywhere as they were first in the game and had a monopoly on the market. Office online is now free for home use. I don't think Office is going anywhere but competition is a good thing, it ke...
by MindBogler
Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:20 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Annualized returns and growth of $10K
Replies: 13
Views: 997

Re: Annualized returns and growth of $10K

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Importa ... d_interest

Seemingly small differences in interest received yield large variance in outcomes due to exponential growth. This is coincidentally why expense ratios matter.
by MindBogler
Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:13 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: New Military Blended Retirement System starting in 2018
Replies: 36
Views: 4428

Re: New Military Blended Retirement System starting in 2018

I just spent too much time in a spreadsheet because I was curious. It is a flat 20% cut to the defined benefit. This will save the military money. The fact that many people will not put 5% of their salary in to get the match will save the military money. However, I don't think this is all bad for th...
by MindBogler
Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:39 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Another argument against "price drop means stocks are on sale"
Replies: 101
Views: 5865

Re: Another argument against "price drop means stocks are on sale"

There is a less empirical argument that, if these minor movements give a person the illusion of control and prevent a major behavioral mistake, there is a benefit to the person who does it. We know from many prior posts, see Nisiprius, that most investors make less than the market return due to a co...
by MindBogler
Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:51 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: At what point do we market time?
Replies: 87
Views: 6493

Re: At what point do we market time?

We are currently at 26.11 PE10. If your numbers are correct (1900-1996)we are are over 2 standard deviations from the mean. That means statistically 98% of the time we should have a lower PE10. That doesn't sound so good. With that said, if the numbers were rerun from the 1990's the mean would be m...
by MindBogler
Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:52 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Where were you financially when you were at 30?
Replies: 226
Views: 25515

Re: Where were you financially when you were at 30?

Behind. I quit a good job in 2006 and went back to school to pursue a different career. I finished school but the career didn't pan out. It took almost 2 years to find work starting in 2010 and I depleted taxable savings to pay for school. I lost 6 years of tax deferred savings. Now I'm back to doin...
by MindBogler
Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:43 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Wait, holding international increases risk?
Replies: 67
Views: 4994

Re: Wait, holding international increases risk?

I think the strongest case for holding international stocks is to avoid home country risk, which is exactly why I hold them at all.
by MindBogler
Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:47 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: At what point do we market time?
Replies: 87
Views: 6493

Re: At what point do we market time?

Again, are you using only data from 1900-1996? PE10 over 20 has been the norm since 1992. Basically, PE10 has been over 20 for 23 of the past 24 years. Before that, every time PE10 got above 20, a crash soon followed. The only time PE10 had gotten over 25 in the past was 1929. Believe me, anyone fo...
by MindBogler
Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:43 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Another argument against "price drop means stocks are on sale"
Replies: 101
Views: 5865

Re: Another argument against "price drop means stocks are on sale"

If you believe that you should put more into a fund after a recent short-term drop because you believe it is now more likely to have a higher return than it would otherwise, then I disagree. I don't believe this at all. I do agree with rebalancing to keep my asset allocation where I want. I have gi...
by MindBogler
Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:26 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Another argument against "price drop means stocks are on sale"
Replies: 101
Views: 5865

Re: Another argument against "price drop means stocks are on sale"

http://i.imgur.com/Nq7nAo9.png If I invested my new contributions in VFITX (orange) from 3/29/16 onward and then rebalanced from VFITX to VFIAX on 6/27 (which I did), how much more money do I have on a percentage basis than if I had plowed it into VFIAX every two weeks? You can pick any numbers or ...
by MindBogler
Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:32 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Allocate within accounts or between accounts?
Replies: 34
Views: 2333

Re: Allocate within accounts or between accounts?

Having multiple accounts and multiple funds doesn't really have to be complicated. If you organize with a basic spreadsheet, you can track asset allocation across funds and accounts by grouping like investments together. Google Sheets is a free online spreadsheet that will allow you to do exactly th...
by MindBogler
Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:11 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Another argument against "price drop means stocks are on sale"
Replies: 101
Views: 5865

Re: Another argument against "price drop means stocks are on sale"

Any positive amount. I'm saying I've seen no evidence that a "wait to buy after big drops" will provide *any* advantage over just buying when you have the money. This is a classic example of the logical fallacy: appeal to ignorance. We see this argument consistently and I always feel like...
by MindBogler
Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:54 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: For those that "buy" during stock market downturns...
Replies: 158
Views: 10960

Re: For those that "buy" during stock market downturns...

I funnel most of my new contributions into intermediate treasuries and then disburse from there. Sometimes I forget to exchange and I may have several months of regular purchases idling there. That may not be ideal, but it is no different than telling people to DCA vs Lump Sum into the market. That ...
by MindBogler
Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:53 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: A time to EVALUATE your jitters
Replies: 185
Views: 76131

Re: A time to EVALUATE your jitters

This too shall pass.
by MindBogler
Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:16 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: At what point do we market time?
Replies: 87
Views: 6493

Re: At what point do we market time?

If PE10 hits 40, I'll sell. When PE10 is at 2 or 3 sigma extremes it is more predictive and, in my opinion, actionable. When PE10 went over 25 in 1996, how many sigmas was that? (at the time, PE10 had never been over 25 before except in 1929, right before the Great Depression). Use data from 1900-1...
by MindBogler
Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:20 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: An actual book on LastPass?
Replies: 35
Views: 2562

Re: An actual book on LastPass?

Not a specific provision that I am aware of, no. However, you can create secure notes that contain the answers to your security questions inside of the lastpass console.
by MindBogler
Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:12 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Car talk: sonata MPG dropped a lot
Replies: 43
Views: 2980

Re: Car talk: sonata MPG dropped a lot

I can't find reliable statistics on exactly how much alignment can impact mileage but I think another 4.7mpg would be next to impossible without it being very obvious. So back to my original statement - "you'd be driving on flats and off the road (because with alignment that poor you wouldn't ...

Go to advanced search