Search found 107 matches

by KT785
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:04 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Auto Insurance - Bodily Injury/Physical Damage Liability
Replies: 8
Views: 574

Re: Auto Insurance - Bodily Injury/Physical Damage Liability

I maxed out the liability coverage from my insurance company. I own no house, I don't have an umbrella policy. My liability is 500K/500K Bodily injury and another $500K property damage (think of you backed up into a store front!) BogleMelon, if you haven't done so, I'd strongly suggest looking into...
by KT785
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Traveling to Germany (Bavaria) in April/May - Itinerary Help Needed
Replies: 41
Views: 1890

Re: Traveling to Germany (Bavaria) in April/May - Itinerary Help Needed

OP here. A huge thanks for all who replied to my initial post, it's really helped me reframe our plans. Accordingly, I think our overall blueprint will be as follows: Leave the states on 4/25, arrive in Munich in the morning on 4/26. Stay in Munich from 4/26 - 5/1, giving us 5 nights in Munich to ch...
by KT785
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Budgeting Vs Savings Rate
Replies: 45
Views: 2878

Re: Budgeting Vs Savings Rate

I find there's great value in the clear quantification and planning of household spending. You may discover additional opportunities to save; you may likewise discover areas where further efficiencies can be gained, allowing you to spend more on things you truly value. My view? You don't really know...
by KT785
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:22 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: A half year at full pay or a full year at half pay?
Replies: 46
Views: 4190

Re: A half year at full pay or a full year at half pay?

- Teen and pre-teen boys would probably be willing to leave their friends for a semester but a year might be a tougher sell. Our high school goes by a semester block system -- if we could move to a district with a similar system it would not be hard to make a mid-year switch. And if they don't like...
by KT785
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:19 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Insurance: Who do you use? (Auto/Home)
Replies: 32
Views: 1574

Re: Insurance: Who do you use? (Auto/Home)

State Farm for both autos, home, umbrella, a personal articles (floater) policy on my wife's wedding rings, and we also bank with State Farm (checking and mortgage). Our home and auto premiums have actually gone down over the past couple of years. We also get quotes from other carriers yearly or so ...
by KT785
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:53 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card
Replies: 276
Views: 47822

Re: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

Looks like they've now closed off all new applications and removed the information pages. I'm hoping they don't turn the existing cards into a flat 1.5%, but it did seem a little too good to be true. Surely USAA would send out a notification to current cardholders that the rewards rate is being per...
by KT785
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:43 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card
Replies: 276
Views: 47822

Re: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

While I think it's possible (perhaps even likely) that they may reduce cashback rate years down the road--it's also possible that those new checking accounts (and their associated direct deposits) may prove more "sticky" since the account holders are "grandfathered in" to the 2.5% card assuming the...
by KT785
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card
Replies: 276
Views: 47822

Re: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

Let's do the math for Alliant. That's a great and easy to digest summary, and I agree that the Alliant card would be better than the 2% cards for many people, especially those of us on BHs. The point I was making in my previous post was that the Alliant card necessitates a relatively high annual sp...
by KT785
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:12 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card
Replies: 276
Views: 47822

Re: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

I'm up to $5,563 cash back so far this year. I love this card. As someone said in that Doctor of Credit comments section regarding manufactured spending as being a likely reason USAA is pulling back, "This is why we can't have nice things." Even if all of the $222K in spend to generate the above re...
by KT785
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:35 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Traveling to Germany (Bavaria) in April/May - Itinerary Help Needed
Replies: 41
Views: 1890

Re: Traveling to Germany (Bavaria) in April/May - Itinerary Help Needed

I can’t comment on the itinerary but do have a suggestion re cell phones. I was in Germany last fall and was planning to buy a local SIM card for my unlocked GSM phone so I could call local friends, hotels, and use Google maps while driving. Until recently, you could buy a pay as you go SIM card al...
by KT785
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:07 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card
Replies: 276
Views: 47822

Re: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

A couple of thoughts re: the product (I don't have this card) . . . seems like there was a checking component to get the full 2.5% cash back and accordingly, the premise of the product and pilot program may have been to increase checking accounts in certain markets; the card never went completely n...
by KT785
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:46 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card
Replies: 276
Views: 47822

Re: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

Looks like they've now closed off all new applications and removed the information pages. I'm hoping they don't turn the existing cards into a flat 1.5%, but it did seem a little too good to be true. Surely USAA would send out a notification to current cardholders that the rewards rate is being per...
by KT785
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:58 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Traveling to Germany (Bavaria) in April/May - Itinerary Help Needed
Replies: 41
Views: 1890

Re: Traveling to Germany (Bavaria) in April/May - Itinerary Help Needed

I lived in Bayern for about 5 years. My two cents is to do time in Munich (4-5 days...could include one early morning departure to Salzburg with a late return, it is 2 hours on a regional train with a Bayern Ticket) and 2-3 days in somewhere like Bamberg. Nürnberg is nice, but it is an hour or so u...
by KT785
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:06 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Traveling to Germany (Bavaria) in April/May - Itinerary Help Needed
Replies: 41
Views: 1890

Re: Traveling to Germany (Bavaria) in April/May - Itinerary Help Needed

Regarding the OPs question, seems to be too much crammed into the available time. I’d probably shorten the Nuremberg part by a day. Thanks, TravelGeek. Perhaps cut the Nuremberg part of the trip down to 3 nights at most (or perhaps only two nights)? Part of my rationale for having, at most, two hom...
by KT785
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:22 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Traveling to Germany (Bavaria) in April/May - Itinerary Help Needed
Replies: 41
Views: 1890

Traveling to Germany (Bavaria) in April/May - Itinerary Help Needed

I’ve reviewed a myriad of other similar posts here on BH as well as on Trip Advisor, Rick Steves, etc. but am hoping for some guidance to our specific situation. My wife and I are planning a trip to Germany in late April-early May and will be there for 8 nights, flying into and out of Munich. This i...
by KT785
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:53 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Private vs. Federal Student Loans?
Replies: 8
Views: 336

Re: Private vs. Federal Student Loans?

Bwlonge wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:48 am
Any significant differences now that we can't deduct interest on federal ones?
As far as I know, you can still deduct student loan interest (up to $2,500 per year) and that applies to both federal and private loans.
by KT785
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:00 am
Forum: Forum Issues and Administration
Topic: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.
Replies: 175
Views: 8394

Re: Help me understand question-less financial status (e.g. "2 comma club") threads.

IMHO, those threads are confirmations that the BH methods work, regardless of income levels. Encouragements to stay the course when markets tank. They are examples of people who make it via BH method despite 1987, 2000, 2008 so I will stick to my AA when the next one hit. The actionable benefits of...
by KT785
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:49 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Car recommendations needed for growing family
Replies: 34
Views: 1947

Re: Car recommendations needed for growing family

I should caveat my recommendation with the fact that my wife and I don't currently have children, but are planning on starting a family this year. We own a Nissan Rogue (hers) and a Subaru Outback (mine)--the Rogue was purchased after my wife's previous car was totaled but I traded my previous, much...
by KT785
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:33 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?
Replies: 50
Views: 2869

Re: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?

OP, since you stated you own a brand new car (2017 Honda Civic), I'm curious if you financed it or own it outright? If financed, you may be obligated to maintain a certain level of coverage pursuant to the terms of the loan. I purchased full in cash. I have enough to buy another car if I wanted to ...
by KT785
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:38 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?
Replies: 50
Views: 2869

Re: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?

OP, since you stated you own a brand new car (2017 Honda Civic), I'm curious if you financed it or own it outright? If financed, you may be obligated to maintain a certain level of coverage pursuant to the terms of the loan. For example: What are the insurance requirements for a financing contract? ...
by KT785
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:23 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?
Replies: 50
Views: 2869

Re: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?

Thanks for all of the responses :) Okay for the collision deductible. It doesn't really matter how much I raise it to as long as I am not in an at-fault accident right? If I have a $2000 deductible, and someone else hits me. Their insurance has to pay the full repair cost right? It is just that I h...
by KT785
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:02 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Should I go for Schwab target index funds or target funds?
Replies: 10
Views: 888

Re: Should I go for Schwab target index funds or target funds?

kerplunk wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:01 pm
How about using that money to max your 2017 and 2018 Roth IRA contributions?
+1

Through which the Target Index Funds would be a perfectly appropriate investment--they're great for tax-advantaged accounts, just not taxable ones.
by KT785
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:51 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?
Replies: 50
Views: 2869

Re: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?

dm200 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:47 pm
OP would likely pay a lot more for AAA than the $4.42 per 6 months for emergency road service,
We have AAA - and it is worth it.
OP also has a brand new car (2017 Honda Civic) which I believe also means he has 3 free years (or 36,000 miles) of roadside service through Honda.
by KT785
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:37 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?
Replies: 50
Views: 2869

Re: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?

Thank you guys for your answers. Can you guys help me check out my coverage and see if there is anything that I don't need or that I can reduce to lower my insurance premium? Thank you so much! Liability Coverage Bodily Injury Limits Each Person, Each Accident $100,000 $300,000 Property Damage Limi...
by KT785
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:24 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?
Replies: 50
Views: 2869

Re: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?

So can individual agents increase auto insurance rates? Will increasing people's rates increase their bottom line or how does it work? Who determines our car insurance rates and are they adjustable by each agent at their own free will? The insurance companies themselves set the rates, which are als...
by KT785
Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:46 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?
Replies: 50
Views: 2869

Re: Statefarm Auto Insurance goes up every 6 months without reason?

They look at your personal profile (a computer algorithm) and decide how likely you are to go through the trouble of switching insurance. If the program decides you probably won't bother switching, you are added to the list of people who will have your rates increased frequently. NPR did a news rep...
by KT785
Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:05 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Bounty or Kirkland brand
Replies: 25
Views: 2172

Re: Bounty or Kirkland brand

We switched to the Member's Mark (Sam's Club brand) equivalent of Bounty several years ago and find the quality comparable (if not indistinguishable). Assuming Costco's policy is like Sam's re: their house brand, if you're not satisfied the with product, you can always bring it back for a full refun...
by KT785
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:12 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: best cashback credit card ?
Replies: 47
Views: 3818

Re: best cashback credit card ?

Amex Blue Cash Preferred- 6% Groceries Sam's Club MasterCard - 5% Gas, 3% Dining, 3% Travel Discover It - 5% rotating categories Chase Freedom - 5% rotating categories Amazon Prime Visa Signature - 5% Amazon purchases Citi Double Cash - 2% everywhere else (utilities/bills/etc. and non-higher categor...
by KT785
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:58 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Former employer preventing rollover?
Replies: 10
Views: 1051

Re: Former employer preventing rollover?

Assuming she left on good terms, can she not contact the former employer to expedite the process? If this is a small business, the “employer” is presumably an identifiable individual for whom your friend likely has contact info.
by KT785
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: FHA Loan "No Longer Insurable"?
Replies: 4
Views: 1088

Re: FHA Loan "No Longer Insurable"?

The post is from over a year ago with no replies and OP only ever posted on the forum the one time . . . I'd assume they don't frequent the site but maybe you can PM him/her.
by KT785
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:44 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Honda CR-V vs Subaru Outback
Replies: 24
Views: 2655

Re: Honda CR-V vs Subaru Outback

Only thing is the current RAV4 was introduced in 2013, so it's a little long-toothed. Me, I'd either wait in the next one or get the newly re-designed CRV. I always recommend that people avoid the first year or two after a re-design; the last year(s) of a design generation are usually the most reli...
by KT785
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:44 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: LED Lightbulbs - Recommended Brands
Replies: 48
Views: 3013

Re: LED Lightbulbs - Recommended Brands

tomd37 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:25 pm
Which of the major stores carry Phillips or Cree please? Or is it better to buy online?
I bought my Cree bulbs at Home Depot.
by KT785
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:47 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Beware Amazon Price Gouging
Replies: 74
Views: 9421

Re: Beware Amazon Price Gouging

If you've never tried it before, check out CamelCamelCamel to track Amazon prices on specific items, evaluate past pricing, track prices/set alerts, etc. :beer

Edit: looks like Mike Scott beat me to it . . .
by KT785
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:58 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Christmas gifts for lots of kids (experiences or stock)?
Replies: 36
Views: 2870

Re: Christmas gifts for lots of kids (experiences or stock)?

Having a couple young kids myself, I realize gifts are often played with two days then they go in a bin. I'm not a big gift giver/receiver or materialistic person myself. We have a bunch of kids we buys for of varying ages and locations. Was wondering if we could get everyone the same thing, ideall...
by KT785
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:53 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: LED Lightbulbs - Recommended Brands
Replies: 48
Views: 3013

Re: LED Lightbulbs - Recommended Brands

What kind of Cree bulbs are you using? We've been using the Cree bulbs with the 4-Flow Filament Design and all have been great, used both inside and out. I did pick up a 4 or 8 pack of GE LED bulbs from Sam's Club a few months ago to stock up when I replace the last of our remaining CFLs but haven't...
by KT785
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Discover Card Change in Terms
Replies: 28
Views: 2987

Re: Discover Card Change in Terms

A couple of points: Generally speaking, you never want to close your oldest credit card (exception perhaps if there's an annual fee, but that's a moot point in this case). Doing so may severely impact your average age of account, which is one of the major components to your credit score, not to ment...
by KT785
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:29 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Honda CR-V vs Subaru Outback
Replies: 24
Views: 2655

Re: Honda CR-V vs Subaru Outback

I'd agree that the Forester is a closer competitor. I'd view the Outback as a class up. If I'm next to either a Forester or CR-V now, I have to look at the wheel center caps to know what it is as it appears they copied each other. I drove the Forester, ride was much harsher than the Outback. With l...
by KT785
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:56 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Best vehicle for seniors?
Replies: 73
Views: 6219

Re: Best vehicle for seniors?

"Recently retired" is how OP described his mother and accordingly, I assume she's on the younger side of being a senior (60s?). Accordingly, I'm not sure all of the admonitions in this thread about her age and technology being too much of a hurdle are necessarily applicable--also, people of all ages...
by KT785
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:13 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Where to open small taxable brokerage account? (Vanguard vs. Schwab vs. Robo / MF vs. ETF)
Replies: 9
Views: 1018

Re: Where to open small taxable brokerage account? (Vanguard vs. Schwab vs. Robo / MF vs. ETF)

Thanks, BL We are actively increasing our 401k deferrals each year and max both of our Roth IRAs; while we could conceivably max our 401ks as well, we're planning on starting a family next year and are ratcheting up our liquid savings in anticipation and because of our company's pension plan, maxing...
by KT785
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:13 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Where to open small taxable brokerage account? (Vanguard vs. Schwab vs. Robo / MF vs. ETF)
Replies: 9
Views: 1018

Re: Where to open small taxable brokerage account? (Vanguard vs. Schwab vs. Robo / MF vs. ETF)

Thanks for the advice provided thus far! While re-directing the funds into my or my wife's 401k isn't impossible, given the source of some of the funds (majority consists of credit card cash back redemptions) and that the educational bonuses are paid in such a way that they aren't able to be deferre...
by KT785
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:00 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Where to open small taxable brokerage account? (Vanguard vs. Schwab vs. Robo / MF vs. ETF)
Replies: 9
Views: 1018

Re: Where to open small taxable brokerage account? (Vanguard vs. Schwab vs. Robo / MF vs. ETF)

retiredjg wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:24 pm
Where are your IRAs held?
Both of the Roth IRAs are held at Vanguard; I updated my initial post to clarify this.
by KT785
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:12 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Where to open small taxable brokerage account? (Vanguard vs. Schwab vs. Robo / MF vs. ETF)
Replies: 9
Views: 1018

Where to open small taxable brokerage account? (Vanguard vs. Schwab vs. Robo / MF vs. ETF)

I’m trying to decide where to open a small taxable account—anticipated annual deposits of around $2,000 in the near term. For the past several years, I have deposited funds recouped through credit card cash-back programs (withdrawn quarterly) and periodic educational bonuses through my employer into...
by KT785
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:03 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: term insurance renewal, now i'm high risk - "special situation"?
Replies: 17
Views: 1674

Re: term insurance renewal, now i'm high risk - "special situation"?

So it turns out now I'm rated (considered high risk). One carrier has flat out denied me and other has approved me but it's extremely expensive, defeating the purpose for term, about $250 a month when it was like $100 a month before the rating. The agent from the carrier that approved me . . . . Gi...
by KT785
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:36 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: My EJ portfolio vs my Vanguard, side by side
Replies: 27
Views: 3460

Re: My EJ portfolio vs my Vanguard, side by side

You report returns since 2009, but you say that some of these funds did not exist in 2009. This suggests that you have changed your portfolio, and should not be counting past returns. If your advisor recommended a fund in 2014 which had good performance in the previous five years, and it has been o...
by KT785
Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:23 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: My EJ portfolio vs my Vanguard, side by side
Replies: 27
Views: 3460

Re: My EJ portfolio vs my Vanguard, side by side

I recently moved my parents over to Vanguard PAS from EJ, after they'd asked me to go through their investments and explain everything that had been going on in the account since it's inception several years ago. Accordingly, I would want to know if, and how frequently, new funds were added or remov...
by KT785
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Car recommendation
Replies: 18
Views: 1768

Re: Car recommendation

If you're looking for something small (sub-compact) and heavily prize reliability and safety, I'd look at the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek with Eyesight; the 2018 Crosstrek also has Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I have a Outback, but suspect that an Outback or Forrester would be too big for your needs. P...
by KT785
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:48 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: 30yr Mortgage Refi Rates
Replies: 16
Views: 2670

Re: 30yr Mortgage Refi Rates

We refinanced our 30 year mortgage last year with State Farm Bank since they had the lowest rates for our situation at the time. We went from 4.875% to 3.125% for another 30 year with no points--we'd bought our house only a couple years beforehand so another 30 year made sense. I'm highly doubtful y...
by KT785
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:38 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Lowes vs Home Depot
Replies: 62
Views: 8371

Re: Lowes vs Home Depot

Locally, I prefer Home Depot even though Lowe's is slightly closer to my house. In my experience, our Home Depot has a much larger staff and you can't seemingly go down an aisle without being offered assistance--I have had to search high-and-low to find an associate at Lowe's. The staff at Home Depo...
by KT785
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:19 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Strategy for getting out of Northwestern Mutual
Replies: 19
Views: 2065

Re: Strategy for getting out of Northwestern Mutual

I have a similar high income but no wife and kids. I decided on a Roth 401k versus a traditional because of two reasons: 1. If you are maxing out your 401k you can put more away in a Roth versus a traditional ($18,000 after tax is worth more than $18,000 before taxes are taken out) which will grow ...