Search found 354 matches

by EddyB
Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:25 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: 2nd million is easier!
Replies: 49
Views: 7178

Re: 2nd million is easier!

BlackHat wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:24 pm
Charlie Munger has said to focus on getting your first 100,000 grand and then everything else will come easier.

“100,000 grand” is one hundred thousand thousand, or one hundred million. I’m not going to focus on that, at least not in US dollars.
by EddyB
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:39 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: The 9.1 billion shares mystery of Googles IPO
Replies: 10
Views: 1735

Re: The 9.1 billion shares mystery of Googles IPO

I don't understand the process that well, but have a not-too-OT question: when a company goes public with an IPO, is there an upper limit of how many shares it can ever issue? In other words, might the 9 bilion share number be a max limit for GOOG shares that will ever be generated? No. It's the li...
by EddyB
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Do girls wear Ninja Turtle character shoes
Replies: 54
Views: 2514

Re: Do girls wear Ninja Turtle character shoes

And it's only loosly correlated because of society's prevailing attitudes about what boys "should" be interested in and what girls "should" be interested in! Take away these preformed ideas and you would see greater distribution of interests for boys and girls! Parents have the right to raise their...
by EddyB
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Do girls wear Ninja Turtle character shoes
Replies: 54
Views: 2514

Re: Do girls wear Ninja Turtle character shoes

Correct..that is the issue...based on what you guys have said..i believe it should be fine as there should be nothing girly in the shoes for my son to wear.... Are you serious right now?! Absolutely anybody can wear absolutely whatever they like. I'm exercising superhuman restraint in not filling t...
by EddyB
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:10 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: In-plan rollover of after-tax 401k contributions
Replies: 18
Views: 1449

Re: In-plan rollover of after-tax 401k contributions

Does your plan permit in-service distributions of pre-tax contributions? If it doesn’t, then what does your CPA think is going to be distributed? If your plan does permit in-service withdrawals of pre-tax contributions (which would be rare), does it also accept incoming rollovers (which is not so ra...
by EddyB
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:38 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Espresso Machine suggestions?
Replies: 41
Views: 2605

Re: Espresso Machine suggestions?

Consider that you will also want (bordering on need) a better grinder than most people realize exists. When I use friends' single-boiler machines, I find them somewhat frustrating for making multiple steamed-mild drinks (I have a 20-amp dual-boiler machine). You might consider a used dual-boiler mac...
by EddyB
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Pepsi moving from NYSE to NASDAQ
Replies: 5
Views: 665

Re: Pepsi moving from NYSE to NASDAQ

Here is a brief snippet about this: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/08/pepsi-will-switch-its-stock-exchange-listing-to-nasdaq-from-nyse.html What difference does it *really* make? Is any part of it some sort of prestige, preferring to be on one exchange vs another? RM Nasdaq listings are cheaper to ma...
by EddyB
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:06 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: In-plan rollover of after-tax 401k contributions
Replies: 18
Views: 1449

Re: In-plan rollover of after-tax 401k contributions

SJR, I went thru the same process with my tax guy. Page 17 in publication 575 is what got me comfortable https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p575.pdf Key Excerpt: Defined contribution plan. A defined contribution plan is a plan in which you have an individual account. Your benefits are based only on th...
by EddyB
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:22 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Any reason not to exit muni bonds now?
Replies: 8
Views: 1030

Re: Any reason not to exit muni bonds now?

I am very curious what your current marginal tax rate is now and what you expect it to be. Obviously I’m not the OP, but this is one of those things where the directional changes aren’t generalizable. I’m in the 39.6% bracket now, but generally an AMT payer, so really 28%. I don’t yet understand ho...
by EddyB
Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:54 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Is there any reason to invest in real estate?
Replies: 98
Views: 7381

Re: Is there any reason to invest in real estate?

If you know that for a fact, you may want to read these links. https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-prohibited-transactions https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/4975 (See paragraph (c)(1)(c)) https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whistleblower-informant-aw...
by EddyB
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Is there any reason to invest in real estate?
Replies: 98
Views: 7381

Re: Is there any reason to invest in real estate?

The big advantage of RE is that I can put sweat equity into rental properties. There is a guy in my town who continuously buys foreclosures in his self-directed Roth IRA, fixes them up, and flips them. That sweat equity is essentially a stealth way to contribute more to his Roth. If you know that f...
by EddyB
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Should I Pay Off My Mortgage When I Retire?
Replies: 24
Views: 1220

Re: Should I Pay Off My Mortgage When I Retire?

My existing mortgage will be paid off before I retire under its normal schedule, but if I could get another loan on the same terms as my current one (15 year loan at the conforming limit, at 2.75% and no points), I would refinance a year or two before planned retirement and invest the cash.
by EddyB
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: LED Lightbulbs - Recommended Brands
Replies: 48
Views: 2905

Re: LED Lightbulbs - Recommended Brands

I replaced all of the bulbs in our house with Philips brand LED between 3-5 years ago. Not a single failure yet. That has been my experience with Philips bulbs (in Europe). I put more than 2 dozen Philips A15 in several ceiling fans and vanities last year. While none have stopped working altogether...
by EddyB
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:49 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Should I decline Grand Prize trip because of taxes on winnings?
Replies: 93
Views: 8547

Re: Should I decline Grand Prize trip because of taxes on winnings?

I think you made the right decision. As a very high income earners what is $4k for a once in a lifetime experience? Enjoy! I don’t really understand this logic. I hope the OP enjoys the trip, but that something is a once in a lifetime experience doesn’t seem to me to be the end of the question. I a...
by EddyB
Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 am
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Marijuana stocks
Replies: 11
Views: 1289

Re: Marijuana stocks

Hey guys, as I try to take an "educated guess" as to where the future is going, marijuana stocks seem to catch my interest. Numerous states are legalizing it and its only a matter of time before it is completely legal (which I think it should be although I dont do it). What are you thought on futur...
by EddyB
Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Tipping in living wage state. Redux.
Replies: 118
Views: 6962

Re: Tipping in living wage state. Redux.

What does tipping have to do with the wages? I am not tipping because I am responsible for the waiter's wages, I am tipping because it is an implied social contract that I accept by patronizing a restaurant. It's not illegal to not tip, it's simply in poor taste. If you object to tipping, don't go ...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:18 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Tipping in living wage state. Redux.
Replies: 118
Views: 6962

Re: Tipping in living wage state. Redux.

tip. Anyway, this isn’t about tipping, generally, but about whether a change in pay structure (from a wage with a tip credit to a full minimm wage to a living wage) should change my tipping practice. I don’t see how it could possibly remain the same, to be honest. Bad logic. Why do you assume that ...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:25 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Tipping in living wage state. Redux.
Replies: 118
Views: 6962

Re: Tipping in living wage state. Redux.

In our LCOL area a decent one bedroom is $700. Comparable in San Francisco is around $3,000+. I'm not convinced the "living wage" differential or more expensive meal puts the server ahead when the tips are reduced anywhere from 50% to 75% (from a 20% tip down to a 5 or 10% tip). No one is forced to...
by EddyB
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:27 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: How old are you and what size is your portfolio?
Replies: 33
Views: 4244

Re: How old are you and what size is your portfolio?

OP may want to see these results from a few years ago.

viewtopic.php?t=154364
by EddyB
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:33 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Why make more money?
Replies: 134
Views: 13244

Re: Why make more money?

Considering it wasn't that long ago that people worked dusk to dawn to either grow, hunt or gather food and water their entire lives (and in many places I am sure they still do) I can't see where our society has placed an increased burden on us. If I remember correctly when Social Security was orig...
by EddyB
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:05 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Why make more money?
Replies: 134
Views: 13244

Re: Why make more money?

I guess the problem is for most people what they really want is either a 3 or 4 day work week or 8-10 weeks vacation a year and jobs with those options are not plentiful. So I guess people get stuck with the option of either working full time with limited vacation or retiring and both have downside...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: Larry Swedroe: Slaughtering The High Dividend Sacred Cow
Replies: 192
Views: 13441

Re: Larry Swedroe: Slaughtering The High Dividend Sacred Cow

magneto wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:56 pm
This is a well trodden track.
Perhaps even a straw-man?
But then pages have to be filled !i
Hardly fair to call it a straw man when we see reports of views like this: viewtopic.php?p=3605854#p3605854
by EddyB
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Disposable income... how?
Replies: 106
Views: 9868

Re: Disposable income... how?

I'll take a stab at answering why folks spend so on houses and cars. I call it the SWIG factor. See What I Got! The houses are not for them to live in, nor are the luxury cars for them to drive and enjoy. The houses are built and the cars are bought to impress everyone else. Americans are indoctrin...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:09 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Why make more money?
Replies: 134
Views: 13244

Re: Why make more money?

It's an attitude and approach. You don't settle for average. You push your limits and raise the bar. 30x expenses is a good milestone to know where you are at, but not the finish line where you have to drop everything and waste your potentials. That seems to presume that making money from something...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:29 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: The power of cancellation
Replies: 15
Views: 2657

Re: The power of cancellation

I just renewed Sirius XM last week for $25 for 5 months (plus $3 in taxes) for the "XM Select" package. They have my account set on auto-renew for $18 per month when the 5 month "trial" expires, but I always call in the day before it expires and tell them that I can only afford the $5 per month pla...
by EddyB
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:24 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Why make more money?
Replies: 134
Views: 13244

Re: Why make more money?

It's an attitude and approach. You don't settle for average. You push your limits and raise the bar. 30x expenses is a good milestone to know where you are at, but not the finish line where you have to drop everything and waste your potentials. That seems to presume that making money from something...
by EddyB
Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:12 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Mega backdoor Roth and after tax 401K
Replies: 5
Views: 655

Re: Mega backdoor Roth and after tax 401K

Hello, I recently joined a company and was excited to see that they a. offer after tax 401K contributions and b. non-hardship, in-service withdrawls of the after tax money I recalled reading that with the above two provisions, I could do a mega backdoor ROTH, so I thought 'yay!'. Now I am wondering...
by EddyB
Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:21 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: I'm fairly young but done with saving money
Replies: 75
Views: 9534

Re: I'm fairly young but done with saving money

This seems to be the 3rd recent topic where somebody who has seen the 2 commas and considering calling it quits. Should we tell them that when you used to think about million in the past, now you need to think about ten millions instead. Eight digits is the new million today :) Except that this one...
by EddyB
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:48 am
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: I'm fairly young but done with saving money
Replies: 75
Views: 9534

Re: I'm fairly young but done with saving money

DVMResident wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:38 am
OP, let's try flipping the question: is there anything you want to spend more on?

If not, there's no reason to decrease your savings rate.
I presume that if he takes the "less stressful job" route, he'll make less money. Sounds like a reason to decrease his savings rate to me.
by EddyB
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:15 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million
Replies: 198
Views: 18937

Re: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million

rgs92 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:08 pm
I personally wouldn't want to live according to life-changing irreversible decisions I made at 35.
Mistakes 'R' Us you know.
But you will. We all do. They might not have radical consequences compared to other alternatives you may be considering, but maybe they will. Impossible to know.
by EddyB
Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:22 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million
Replies: 198
Views: 18937

Re: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million

Retiring at 35 with $1M is a terrible plan: 80/20 is not at all a suitable asset allocation for someone in retirement, particularly with no other income (Social Security). By working so few years, you won't get much of a Social Security check when the time comes. You are rapidly depleting and under...
by EddyB
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:31 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: What was the main reason you retired?
Replies: 210
Views: 15485

Re: What was the main reason you retired?

What was the main reason you retired? Here are some examples of reasons I assume one would retire: 1) Hit your number 2) The amount of your contributions no longer made a meaningful difference in the size of your portfolio 3) Lost the motivation to pursue money 4) Had enough of your work environmen...
by EddyB
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:42 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million
Replies: 198
Views: 18937

Re: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million

Do you see any evidence of ennui in the original post? We are going OT, which is mostly my fault. As I said, when I see an able-bodied, able-minded 35-year old wanting to retire, even in the face of “I’ll definitely need more If I marry my girlfriend (who has a low net worth) and we decide to have ...
by EddyB
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:28 am
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million
Replies: 198
Views: 18937

Re: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million

OP has no obligations to me. He might have an obligation to society, but that's not for me to say. I will say that I get a sad and empty feeling when I see how many people on various fora want desperately to no longer work, not even as volunteers. I think it's sad that there are apparently so few j...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:36 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million
Replies: 198
Views: 18937

Re: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million

OP has no obligations to me. He might have an obligation to society, but that's not for me to say. I will say that I get a sad and empty feeling when I see how many people on various fora want desperately to no longer work, not even as volunteers. I think it's sad that there are apparently so few j...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:06 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million
Replies: 198
Views: 18937

Re: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million

Right now, your human capital is far larger than your investment capital. Retiring throws the human capital out the window and forces you to rely on the investment capital. Don't underestimate how difficult it can be to get back in the labor market. Congratulations on where you've gotten so far, bu...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:17 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million
Replies: 198
Views: 18937

Re: Early-retired 35 year old with $1 million

Are you really going to live on $30,000 a year? That's an important question (not that I think he necessarily needs to target a 3% withdrawal rate), but given that he has no rent or mortgage payment, it seems it's pretty much average spending. Depending on the OP's interests and priorities, living ...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:07 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Sunscreen: use it all the time? (And what's a good one w/o sting?)
Replies: 58
Views: 3584

Re: Sunscreen: use it all the time? (And what's a good one w/o sting?)

RGS92: The July 2017 issue of Consumer Reports that Coppertone WaterBabies Lotion SPF 50 is among the best which I use. There are many more listed from good to awful. Trader Joe spray also rates high. Best wishes. Taylor +1 on the Coppertone WaterBabies. Cheaper than the Neutrogena dry touch but a ...
by EddyB
Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:59 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: dishwasher recommendations
Replies: 54
Views: 3087

Re: dishwasher recommendations

+1 for Miele. On our second, first lasted 22 years (not a typo). Expensive for sure but they work amazingly well and are extremely durable. They build to a "gold standard" versus a price point. We love ours! But check whether there are authorized repair shops in your area. There were none in my are...
by EddyB
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:21 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Dental “insurance” – a different model
Replies: 13
Views: 1672

Re: Dental “insurance” – a different model

Honest question because the psychology behind this always interests me. If insurance is there to cover catastrophic events you cannot afford, why do you pay for dental insurance? Many Bogelheads make a significant amount of money every year and have large portfolios. Why don't you just pay cash for...
by EddyB
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:50 pm
Forum: Personal Finance (Not Investing)
Topic: Life in AMT Hell (or, How I Learned to Keep Worrying and Hate the Exemption Phaseout)
Replies: 65
Views: 8371

Re: Life in AMT Hell (or, How I Learned to Keep Worrying and Hate the Exemption Phaseout)

A simple concept will help. If you make MORE money you pay MORE taxes. Sometimes you pay LOT MORE and sometimes you pay little less MORE but nevertheless you pay MORE in taxes. Since the tax system is progressive (or should be progressive), that should be given. The actual implementation of the sys...
by EddyB
Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:00 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: NASDAQ as a significant portfolio component?
Replies: 29
Views: 1814

Re: NASDAQ as a significant portfolio component?

So I've been running some portfolio simulations using historical data going back to the early 80's, and I noticed that, for virtually *every* 10-, 15- or 20-year investment window between 1985 and 2017, *every* sane asset allocation that includes a non-trivial amount of NASDAQ (> 5%) beats every ve...
by EddyB
Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:59 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Installing a slide inside a home?
Replies: 39
Views: 2866

Re: Installing a slide inside a home?

If you reasonably expect to live in the house for a long time, make it what you want, enjoy it, and know that buyers in the far-off future can make it suit their lives, too.
by EddyB
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:43 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Funding an IRA for children.
Replies: 17
Views: 944

Re: Funding an IRA for children.

VINNY wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:34 pm
Fortunately, it's looking like self-employment tax may not apply to mowing lawns and baby sitting. The IRS considers them employees of the household they are doing these chores for. Thank you for your input.
The people paying your kids for babysitting and lawn mowing are withholding taxes?
by EddyB
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:13 pm
Forum: Investing - Help with Personal Investments
Topic: Vanguard Giving Less in Dividends than Competitors?
Replies: 13
Views: 2246

Re: Vanguard Giving Less in Dividends than Competitors?

Assuming these competitors track the same assets, did your adviser explain why he thinks higher dividends are better?
by EddyB
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:57 am
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: Opinions on bicycle disc brakes?
Replies: 26
Views: 1750

Re: Opinions on bicycle disc brakes?

If you bike in the rain (road or mountain) often there is simply no substitute for disc brakes. I used to go through a set of rims once a year on my commuter because the wet grit would cause the pads to basically grind through the rim until it pretzeled. Stopping power is significantly reduced in t...
by EddyB
Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:32 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: 100% in bond to wait for market crash?
Replies: 122
Views: 12686

Re: 100% in bond to wait for market crash?

Just added another $50k to Total stock index. but still don't know what I am doing. Don't worry. That's the beauty of index investing. You don't have to know anything to be average. Some of the folks who "know what they're doing" will wind up doing worse. Prepare for one of 3 things to happen betwe...
by EddyB
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:17 pm
Forum: Investing - Theory, News & General
Topic: 100% in bond to wait for market crash?
Replies: 122
Views: 12686

Re: 100% in bond to wait for market crash?

Since the stock market value most expensive except year 2000 ( p/e https://www.quandl.com/data/MULTPL/SHILLER_PE_RATIO_MONTH-Shiller-PE-Ratio-by-Month ). Also since the bond having roughly 2.3% return, please convince me not to collect 2.3% in bond and wait for stock correction. I dont to want to s...
by EddyB
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:53 pm
Forum: Personal Consumer Issues
Topic: SUV options with 3 little kids
Replies: 57
Views: 3592

Re: SUV options with 3 little kids

Ford Flex in 2-2-2 configuration drives nicely and has real third-row seats that can be accessed even with car seats in the second row.