Mid Cap Index Returns
|Stock market indexing|
|US index returns|
|US Equity REIT Index|
|International index returns|
International REIT Index
|US Index Returns (2010)|
Main article: Mid caps
The growing proliferation of indexes from index providers, along with a corresponding growing number of index funds and ETFs, creates a number of issues for investors, since the index returns of the different providers result in a dispersion of both yearly and multi-period returns. Dispersion of returns is not as considerable an issue with Total Market indexes, but as we go into style and smaller size indexes, dispersion of return increases in magnitude. These return differences are mainly due to the differing methodologies index providers utilize in constructing their indexes. Different benchmarks cover varying ranges of stocks, have different selection criteria for growth versus value, and are even maintained and rebalanced differently.  Each index provider's suite of index funds occupies the following segment of the Index Strategy Box:
Mid cap blend index returns
The following table provides returns data for U.S. mid cap index returns.
Indexes: CRSP Mid Cap Index; Dow Jones U.S. Mid-Cap Total Stock Market Index; Morningstar Mid Cap Index; MSCI US Mid Cap 450 Index; Russell Midcap Index; S&P MidCap 400 Index
Mid cap growth index returns
The following tables provide returns data for U.S. mid cap growth indexes.
Indexes: CRSP Mid Growth Index; Dow Jones U.S. Mid-Cap Growth Total Stock Market Index; Morningstar Mid Growth Index, MSCI US Mid Cap Growth Index; Russell Midcap Growth Index; S&P MidCap 400 Growth Index
Mid cap value index returns
The following tables provide returns data for U.S. mid cap value indexes.
Indexes: CRSP Mid Cap Index; Dow Jones U.S. Mid-Cap Value Total Stock Market Index; Morningstar Mid Value Index; MSCI US Mid Cap Value Index; Russell Midcap Value Index; S&P MidCap 400 Value Index
The table below shows the inception date for each index, as well as the initial date for any backdated data.
|Index Provider||Inception||Backdate data|
- ↑ The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research, 2009, pp.12-13.
- ↑ Indexing in the 21st Century: Portfolio Solutions Inc.
- Variance Among Indexes, Craig Israelsen, JOI, May /June 2007.
- Looking at how different indexes affect performance., Craig Israelsen, JOI, September /October 2012.
- Determining the appropriate benchmark: A review of major market indexes Christopher B. Philips, C. William Cole and Francis M. Kinniry Jr.,Vanguard Research (April 10, 2010).
- The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research (February, 2011).
|Embed this text in your forum post:||
Wiki article link: [url=http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Mid_Cap_Index_Returns]Mid Cap Index Returns[/url]