US large cap index returns
US large cap index returns chronicles the annual returns of US large cap stocks as measured by stock indexes.
The growing proliferation of indexes from index providers, along with a corresponding growing number of index funds and ETFs, creates a number of issues for investors, since the index returns of the different providers result in a dispersion of both yearly and multi-period returns. Dispersion of returns is not as considerable an issue with Total Market indexes, but as we go into style and smaller size indexes, dispersion of return increases in magnitude. These return differences are mainly due to the differing methodologies index providers utilize in constructing their indexes. Different benchmarks cover varying ranges of stocks, have different selection criteria for growth versus value, and are even maintained and rebalanced differently.  Each index provider's suite of index funds occupies the following segment of the Index Strategy Box:
Large cap blend index returns
The following table provides returns data for U.S, large cap blend indexes.
Indexes: CRSP Large Cap Index; Dow Jones U.S. Large-Cap Total Stock Market Index; Morningstar Large Cap Index; MSCI Prime 750 Index; Russell 1000 Index; S&P 500 Index
Large cap growth index returns
The table below provides returns data for U.S. large cap growth indexes.
Indexes: CRSP Large Growth Index; Dow Jones U.S. Large-Cap Growth Total Stock Market Index; Morningstar Large Growth Index, MSCI Prime Growth Index; Russell 1000 Growth Index; S&P Large Growth Index
Large cap value index returns
The following table provides returns data for U.S. large cap value indexes.
Indexes: CRSP Large Cap Index; Dow Jones U.S. Large-Cap Value Total Stock Market Index; Morningstar Large Value Index; MSCI US Prime Value Index; Russell 1000 Value Index; S&P Large Value Index
The inception date for each index, along with initial dates for any backdated data, are included in the table below.
|Index Provider||Inception||Backdate data|
- The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research, 2009.
- Indexing in the 21st Century: Portfolio Solutions Inc.
- Variance Among Indexes, Craig Israelsen, JOI, May /June 2007.
- Looking at how different indexes affect performance., Craig Israelsen, JOI, September /October 2012.
- Determining the appropriate benchmark: A review of major market indexes Christopher B. Philips, C. William Cole and Francis M. Kinniry Jr.,Vanguard Research (April 10, 2010).
- The Case For Indexing, Christopher B. Philips and Frank J. Ambrosio, Vanguard Investment Counseling & Research (February, 2011).