Toothpaste and tamper proof seal

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Toothpaste and tamper proof seal

Postby lmpmd » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:35 am

I switched brands and bought Crest toothpaste. It says baking soda & peroxide. Whitening and tarter protection - fresh mint 6.4oz. There's no foil seal on the tube (under the cap). I looked at the box it came in. Nowhere does it say "do not use if tamper free seal is broken or missing". Should I use the toothpaste? Is Crest getting away from tamper proof seals on toothpaste?
lmpmd

Re: Toothpaste and tamper proof seal

Postby Dan-Fl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:25 am

I suspect the cardboard box was sealed.
Dan-Fl
Dan-Fl

Postby tomd37 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:18 am

None of the brands of toothpaste I have bought in the past have had any type of seal under the cap. All the boxes have been sealed closed and I would notice if it had been opened.
Tom D.
tomd37

Postby tibbitts » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 am

The crest sample tubes from the dentist have all had the foil seals so far. They come in sealed cardboard boxes as well. Not sure about other sizes.

Paul
tibbitts

Postby neurosphere » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:45 am

It is rare that toothpaste has seals. The small sample tubes are more likely to have them, in my experience. But I don't remember seeing seals on any larger tubes. Don't worry about it. :)
I am not an actor, even though I play one on television.
neurosphere

Postby EagertoLearnMore » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:47 am

I needed to open another toothpaste, so I opened Crest Pro Health 4.2 oz.

The cardboard box was sealed at the end. The tube was NOT sealed. I had not noticed the lack of foil seal recently. Probably another way to save on manufacturing costs.
EagertoLearnMore

Postby NateH » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:23 am

toothpaste is an odd duck in the Food and Drug Administration. It is considered a drug under the 1938 Food Drug and Cosmetic Act because of flouride content. However, a tamper-evident seal is not required by the FDA (along with insulin and cosmetic products).
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year.
NateH

Postby PaddyMac » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:36 pm

No clue about seal, but will say that the Rembrandt whitening toothpaste with peroxide is much better! :)
PaddyMac

Postby bottlecap » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Put the tube in the guest bathroom. After having a few guests survive their visits, I think it would be safe to say you could begin using the toothpaste.

Good luck,

JT
bottlecap

Postby Path » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:27 pm

EagertoLearnMore wrote: so I opened Crest Pro Health 4.2 oz.

Do me a favor and google "crest pro health stain brown teeth" . It is the worst product I have used.

It "might" stain your teeth and they have clearly written this on the back of the box.
Path

Postby NAVigator » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:32 pm

You could squeeze all of the toothpaste out and look for any abnormalities. Of course, you could then put it all back in the tube and use as normal. :lol:

Like mentioned previously, I have only seen the tamper seals on the samples from the dentist. Apparently they are not to be trusted.

Good luck.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
NAVigator

Postby MattEvers » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:51 am

PaddyMac wrote:No clue about seal, but will say that the Rembrandt whitening toothpaste with peroxide is much better! :)

Everything I've learned has told me one toothpaste is as good as the next...as long as it has fluoride in it. The very short time the peroxide is on your teeth prevents any real clinical whitening to occur.

As a professor once said, you could brush with water, as long as it has a proper amount of fluoride in it. The rest is just to make your mouth feel and taste better, while doing nothing in terms of decay prevention and/or whitening.

edit: a quick Google Scholar search yielded this, which does show a whitening toothpaste removed stain better, while not necessarily whitening: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=13934984

I guess there is a little benefit.
My journey: Money101.me
MattEvers

Postby legio XX » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Matt,

what is "White System" toothpaste? Is that a brand?

Vic
legio XX

Return to Personal Consumer Issues