Duke Energy Premier Notes

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Duke Energy Premier Notes

Postby marathonwmn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:55 pm

The race goes not to the swift, but to those who keep on running. . .
marathonwmn

Postby Wind power » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:07 pm

The last time I looked at them they were less than 2% interest...you can still find a CD to do that.....even I-bonds would probably be much better
However I do buy Duke's stock each week like it was a religion... among a few others, its beats my mutal fund hands down.
Wind power

Postby LynnC » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:09 pm

I own and buy Duke shares, also. Nice divy,

LynnC
LynnC

Postby Dandy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:49 pm

I would not reach for better yield by buying any individual stock. If you want to get into high yield stocks I would suggest a modest fund allocation. Diversification has shown to be critical

The list of high yielding stocks that no longer exist or no longer pay a high yield is getting longer. Can't say anything negative about Duke. But do you know what their risk exposure is? If they have any nuclear plants that might put their stock at risk if a hurricane or earthquake hit their facility.

BP took a hit from one bad oil rig problem. Merck took a hit from one bad drug. Enron went to zero from fraud and so did their well known accounting firm. Don't even mention Lehman, AIG, Bear Sterns, Coluntrywide, Morgan Stanley (went from 120 to 8), BankAmerica, Merrill Lynch, etc.

Just keep in mind that reaching for yield almost always has risks that often seem remote.
Dandy

Postby Wind power » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Duke has many nuke plants, it also is spreading out into windfarms.
However a bulk of thier energy production is coal and with nuclear second....many electric utilites are not single owners of nuke plants.

The VF Summner plant just north of Columbia SC is owned by South Carolina Electric and Gas, along with Santee Cooper and a smaller interest of about 10% by Duke.

In all likelyhood if a nuke disaster unfolds all energy stocks would go down...Heck I even have shares in Tokyo Electric..... yet currently it even beats my mutal fund...

One thing is for certain, diversified funds have risks too! That diversification which everyone thinks is such a Holy grail for safety nets eventually shadows market trends when they crash too! I know of many mutal funds down from previous levels....yep to me that's following market trends!

OP, Duke is a good deal to have outside of a disaster....and what company is immune from a disaster???
Seperate yourself from the herd with a stock or an investment in a company which provides a tangible service.

OP, Look into Santee Cooper another SC utility...I just got a mini bond with them in May for a return of 4.80%
They are having another bond sale the first of October...the new rates will come out then too....they have a decent rating from Moodys and Fitch
Wind power

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General