How do I track investments w/o tickers?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

How do I track investments w/o tickers?

Postby Entish1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:41 am

I have been experimenting with 2 of Intuit's personal finance management tools; I bought Quicken 2009 (in 2009) and am also trying their web-based program: Mint(dot)com.

But I have three investment types that I have been unable to put into either program.

First: My siblings and I were beneficiaries of Mom's IRAs, one of which consisted of a few limited partnerships. Three still exist:
a.) Southwest Royalties Institutional Income Funds X-B
b.) Southwest Royalties Institutional Income Funds IX-B,
c.) Divall Insured Income Properties 2

All remain in an IRA (I suppose it is a BDA now). Our inability to understand these assets has led to inertia on our part. But, the investments keep chugging along, pumping out quarterly disbursements that add up to a few hundred dollars a year.

Already quite illiquid, any sale is further complicated by co-ownership between six siblings. But, as far as I can tell, selling these would net us very little, but if we keep them, they will just keep depositing small but reliable distributions into a Trustee's cash account.

Is there a way to enter these investments so that the software can track, analyze or predict their performance?

Second: My spouse and I are both employed by the State of Florida and were both, by default, in the defined benefit pension plan. But I had a four year break in service after 17 years, when I tried some other career options, but returned to State employment last year.

When I left, I used my one time option to convert my retirement to the investment plan. I chose a low cost (.02% annual management fees) "core" investment: the Florida Retirement System's own FRS U.S. Stock Market Index S10 fund.

I cannot find a ticker for this fund. I am told it tracks the Russell 3000 index, and is managed for FRS by BlackRock Investments. How do I get it into my planning tools?

Third: During a one-year stint with a non-profit, I took advantage of their 3% match, putting some money into an IRA. The only option offered was a variable annuity through MetLife (Preference Plus Select B Class). I chose the Moderate Allocation Portfolio. But, again, no ticker and no way to track its performance, costs, etc.

Can anyone offer any help with these conundrums?
Last edited by Entish1 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Entish1

Postby dbr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:48 am

Posters may have some clever solutions, but the general answer to your question is that you can't track investments that do not have tickers using many generic tools.

Some things that can be done include the following:

1. For the fund that follows an index, you can probably identify some retail fund that tracks the same index and use that. However, costs may not be the same, nor the schedule on which dividends are paid out, and so on.

2. If you use a spreadsheet such as EXCEL to do your analysis, there are query tools that may allow you to obtain data directly from your plan website. You wouldn't work through querying standard financial websites using a ticker symbol.

3. It is probably possible to create entries in any of the tracking tools where data can be entered by hand whenever you want to.
dbr

Postby DonSmith » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:51 am

You can manually enter security prices in Quicken. (on the securities detail page)

(Also, note that Quicken 2009 downloading of stock quotes will probably sunset in April, and so stop working. )
DonSmith

"Funds" without tickers?

Postby Entish1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:00 am

Thanks for being so quick to respond. But, just to clarify...

The Metlife fund, being sold as an annuity, would have no ticker?

And the same is true for the institutional (Florida Retirement Fund) fund?
Entish1

Postby learnfpga » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:11 am

My 401K has funds called separate accounts and they do not have tickers. I just update it manually in my spreadsheet for asset allocation. It is not accurate but close enough.
learnfpga

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments