Washington Mutual class action suit- should I file a claim?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

Washington Mutual class action suit- should I file a claim?

Postby LadyGeek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:47 pm

I received a letter in the mail regarding a class action suit against Washington Mutual Bank for charging various fees. I qualified with a mortgage settlement in 2003.

Web site: Cassese v. Washington Mutual, Inc. (enable browser cookies)

Claim description wrote:These charges allegedly included various fees (also referred to by Plaintiffs as “penalties” and “finance charges”), including, but not limited to, fees that are often but not always listed on payoff statements or elsewhere as i) Fax Fees; ii) Payoff Statement Fees; iii) Recording Fees; and iv) “UCC-3 Fees” in connection with requests for payoff statements or payoff amounts or the prepayment, repayment, discharge, satisfaction or settlement of loans secured by a residence (collectively, the “Disputed Fees”). It is not alleged that borrowers were necessarily required by Defendants to pay each of the Disputed Fees.

I found a recording fee for $124 which qualifies. I also found a LOT of fees that I should have questioned which didn't qualify. :evil:

$13 million is set aside for the settlement. However, there's a catch - it depends on the number of claims filed. I could get 75% to 100% of my claim back. Or, it's pro-rated.

Settlement terms wrote:Depending on the number of valid Claiming Class Member claims submitted to the Settlement Administrator, and the amount of Attorneys’ Fees and Attorneys’ Expenses, and other payments approved by the Court, that will reduce the amount of the Gross Settlement Fund, Claiming Class Members may receive between 75% and 100% of their Disputed Fees paid. However, if the Gross Settlement Fund does not contain sufficient funds to pay all Court-approved fees, expenses and payments, and 75% of the Disputed Fees paid by Claiming Class Members, the Claim Payments to Claiming Class Members will be reduced pro rata.

Reading the FAQ, and then the actual settlement agreement, I found the expenses: $3.9 million (attorney fees), $50,000 (attorney expenses), $7,500 ("incentive" award to each Class representative- huh? :shock:). That's a shade over $9 million left. Is it worth it to file a claim? On paper, it looks like I should. But I'm wondering if anyone has any experience actually going through this type of process. Final hearing is September 15, 2011. They can always appeal, in which case the attorney fees are capped at 30% of the settlement fund.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby peter71 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi LG,

If you got the letter it should only take you 10 mins and a stamp to fill out (and for me most of that was finding my acct # and trying to figure out why it had a different number of digits than there were spaces). People sometimes have ethical qualms about these things but the settlement is made and I had none given I'm no fan of financial services fees or WaMu . . . who knows what will happen but years ago I also went through a similar procedure with another company and got a $250 check . . .

Best,
Pete
peter71

Postby Sidney » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:13 pm

I signed up with a class action against Qwest. After about 5 years or so I got $13. I think your alternatives are to either do nothing (and get nothing) or file a separate suit on your own.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sidney

Postby LadyGeek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:28 pm

peter71 & Sydney - that helps, thanks. I can file online using a scanned pdf image. I'll forget that I ever filed, then be surprised if a check shows up for an unknown amount at an unknown time later.

It'll be enough for 1 or 2 Xbox 360 games (that's my fun money units of measure).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

washington mutual class action suit ref fees

Postby soconfused » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:06 pm

sooo my question is, the mailing ref the claim is legitimate ref the mortgage settlements fees?
so hesitant anymore to respond to anything that i have not solicited
soconfused

Postby Tom_T » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:10 pm

Class-action suits are the greatest thing ever invented -- for lawyers.
Tom_T

Postby Higman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:30 pm

I’ve participated in three class action law suits (that I’m aware of).

1. Blockbuster lost the suit and awarded me a coupon for one rental.

2. A cruise line (NCL?) lost and sent me a $25 coupon for my next cruise.

3. After the .com bubble burst XEROX lost a $50M suit and I though I was entitled to $200. But so many people participated that after legal fees and proration my share was under $10. That amount disqualified me from any payment whatsoever. The insidious part came when a year later a $250M class action law suit was brought against XEROX for the same thing. Great I thought, perhaps this time I’ll get some money. Wrong again. Anyone who had previously participated in any suit against Xerox was disqualified. Lawyers win, people loose.

It is rarely worth the time and effort.
Higman

Postby NightOwl » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:43 pm

Tom_T wrote:Class-action suits are the greatest thing ever invented -- for lawyers.

You would prefer that WAMU continue to get away with charging illegal fees?

NightOwl
"Volatility provokes the constant dread that some investors know more than we do, making us fearful of ignoring such powerful price movements." | Peter Bernstein, "The 60/40 Solution."
NightOwl

Postby dhodson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:47 pm

I would prefer if lawyers passed most of the "winnings" to their clients but instead they use these lawsuits ad their magic lottery ticket.
dhodson

Postby ann_l » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:01 pm

People here are too harsh.

The OP found out, because of lawyers, that s/he was overcharged. The OP can get money back they wouldn't have otherwise gotten.

The lawyers took on the case, risking their time and energy and fighting the company to investigate it, and now a lot of people who don't have to anything but fill out a form and mail it in are going to get their money back.

But the real problem is the company, who [took advantage of --admin LadyGeek] all of those people. Is WaMu less likely to do this in the future because of this class action? Yes. Are other companies less likely to do this kind of stuff in the future because of class actions? Yes. Would the OP calling up WaMu and closing their account because of this stuff probably deter WaMu the same way? No.

Did the lawyers put a whole lot more effort into this case than the OP and the members of the class? Yes. Was there a chance the lawyers could've gotten nothing for this effort if they'd lost the case? Yes. Is the real problem the lawyers or the companies who are [taking advantage of people --admin LadyGeek]?

Wal-mart coiuld make a lot of money by overcharging all of their customers $.25 each transcation. A whole lot. That's not enough for a lot of people to catch or even care about. But it's still wrong, and it still should be stopped and class actions are the best way to prevent stuff like this.
ann_l

Postby mikep » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm

So payoff fax fees, statement fees, recording fees are illegal? I just paid about $100 of these fees to citibank for what I thought was a "no cost" refinance.

I had a WaMu loan back in 2003, I'll have to check my closing statement for any of these fees.
Last edited by mikep on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikep

Postby Stonebr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm

I don't see the downside of filing. If you file, you possibly get at least a few dollars. If you don't file, you get nothing. What's there to think about?
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Stonebr

Postby hand » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Stonebr wrote:I don't see the downside of filing. If you file, you possibly get at least a few dollars. If you don't file, you get nothing. What's there to think about?

Worth considering - is the possibility of $124 worth exposing your name, Social Security Number and Account number?

My take is that in cases like this, the lawyers are the big winners, the company being sued is the big loser, and consumers as a group benefit in that the likelihood of the same thing occurring in the future. Worth noting is that consumers as a group are also hurt as the risk of future lawsuits is priced into future pricing. If specific consumers such as yourself receive some measure of payback, it is a nice side benefit, but certainty not a goal of the overall process.
hand

Postby bottlecap » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:32 pm

dhodson wrote:I would prefer if lawyers passed most of the "winnings" to their clients but instead they use these lawsuits ad their magic lottery ticket.

Yeah, I don't understand this thinking. I was overcharged at least $50 for my prepayment "fee" after being assured there was not prepayment penalty with my mortgage. It wasn't worth it to me, so I paid it. Now I may get $50 for not taking the time to even complain (actually, I might have complained). Some lawyers noticed, however, filed suit and spent the last three years hammering a settlement out.

So for doing nothing, I get my fifty bucks back, but the lawyers who developed this case and worked for years on it shouldn't get their customary fee so that I can instead get $75? Where's the sense in that? Why would the lawyers do this if they weren't going to get paid a reasonable fee (the court will have to determine it is reasonable and approve it)?

JT
bottlecap

Postby dhodson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:39 pm

I have a feeling we won't agree on what is reasonable.
dhodson

Postby soconfused » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:11 pm

didnt really intend to debate the question of class action suits. just reluctant to respond to unsolicited inquiries. how does one determine that the claim form is for a legitimate purpose? a shame that we all have to be sooooo careful anymore. all the fraud and hacking is so scary
soconfused

Postby LadyGeek » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:37 pm

mikep wrote:So payoff fax fees, statement fees, recording fees are illegal? I just paid about $100 of these fees to citibank for what I thought was a "no cost" refinance.

I had a WaMu loan back in 2003, I'll have to check my closing statement for any of these fees.
The filing deadline is August 31, 2011. Enable browser cookies to view the site.

As for responding to unsolicited requests, I checked the website very carefully. The legal documentation is available for viewing. This is not the same as "we have important information about your account" mail. Those get put in the trash (recycle) as soon as I open it. Sometimes, I don't even need to open it before trashing.

(Update clarification: I have filed an online claim via email as instructed on the web site.)
Last edited by LadyGeek on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby Mister Roper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:44 pm

dhodson wrote:I would prefer if lawyers passed most of the "winnings" to their clients but instead they use these lawsuits ad their magic lottery ticket.

I would also like to defend the lawyers who take on cases like this, as well as their fees. Pursuing class action cases on behalf of consumers who have been misled, defrauded, or otherwise cheated by multi-billion dollar corporations is very, very hard. The huge company throws tons of money at lawyers of their own to fight every step of the way. The lawyers representing the consumers have nobody paying them, until and unless the case settles, which means that they risk never getting paid (and that's often what happens). On top of that, in a regular contingency fee arrangement, the fees that go to the lawyer is between the lawyer and the client -- the court doesn't get involved. In a class action case, because the vast majority of the class members are not actively involved in the case and have not formally "agreed" to be represented by the attorneys, the court has to have a "final fairness hearing," and approve both the settlement itself and the award of attorney fees. If it weren't for the lawyers willing to take on these battles, consumers wouldn't be getting their money back in cases like this, and corporations would be doing all kinds of other bad things -- things that they are not doing now, because they know they can't get away with it, because of noble class action lawyers.

Let's put it this way. If those class action lawyers can make such good money so easily, you ought to spend $150k on three years of law school and do it yourself.

But, to respond to the original post, I don't see any reason at all not to file a claim. It only takes a couple minutes, there is no downside to you, and, frankly, it's money that you deserve.
Mister Roper

Postby soconfused » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 pm

thx eerybody for ur responses..i really appreciate it..have learned a few things..i have to agree w/the last "poster"..i will return the claim form more for principal than the hope of cash..these big, hughe business need to be reined in a little..i guess wamu is pretty much out of business, so not sure there will be much damage
soconfused

Opting out of Class Action Law Suits

Postby Magob3tFamily » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:08 am

I received the notice about a Denise Cassese for a Washington Mutual Class Action lawsuit. I sent my packet in with postal confirmation, but did not received anything back from the US District court of NY. I called and emailed from the info. on the notice. But not one person called back.

We were charged fees but did not know they were considered excessive. We are happy with our home however, if a crime was committed I certainly want to make sure that it does not happen to anyone else.

I would like to opt out of these class action suits. Every once in a while we are contacted by these lawyers in the mail. We call no one ever calls us back on answers our telephone call.

I know they need a certain number of creditable plaintiffs so we know that we are very valuable to the case. Extremely so. We are constantly contacted but I have never spoken to anyone.

After such a long time it seems that it is peculiar that a lawsuit happens now? I am not a scholar on the law. But, I am confident in ,my knowledge of right and wrong.

Does anyone know how to totally opt out of these things? Also, does anyone know of any updates concerning this issue?
I tried finding information on the case at Stanford, but could not find it. Does anyone know if this is real or someone trying to get info. email me if you need the link to Stanford Class Action Suit National Listing.

Warm Regards,
Mrs "M"[/list]
Magob3tFamily

Settled ?

Postby beachpatty » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:46 am

Does anyone know if a settlement was reached on 9/15?
Thanx in advance!
8-)
beachpatty

Re: Washington Mutual class action suit- should I file a cla

Postby beachpatty » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Anybody hear ANYTHING on this settlement???[/s][/s]
:?: :| :roll:
beachpatty

Postby lyndyt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:32 pm

I too would like to know when any consumers do start recieving checks.It sure would be nice around this time of the year.I did not even have my paperwork to look over,they said they had it and I did not need it.My loan through them was 1996 to 2001.
lyndyt

Postby LadyGeek » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:42 pm

It's settled, but everything is "on hold pending the resolution of the appeals": Cassese v. Washington Mutual

Check the hand-written addendum to last page of the PDF. Resolution of appeals? They're just arguing on how to distribute the fees.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby Magob3tFamily » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:53 pm

I too hope we can get our money by Christmas!!!! I have my fingers crossed!
Magob3tFamily

Postby sleepingrust » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:22 am

I got at least $1.65 back from the Worldcom disaster. Barely covered my postage costs to send in my claim...

The civil justice system, with lawyers brandishing discovery demands and punitive damage threats, and pocketing most of any proceeds, is about the least efficient way to regulate a market or ensure compliance, IMHO. But right now that's all we have in the US. But it makes for great business for plaintiffs lawyers (who bring the suits) but also for the defense lawyers who criticize the system all the way to the bank!

Get thee to law school!
sleepingrust

Postby steims » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:12 pm

I filed a timely "PROOF OF CLAIM FORM" and have not received anything. Anyone with any updated information on " Cassese v. Washington Mutual Inc. Thank you.
steims

Postby LadyGeek » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:00 pm

There's nothing new on the website, that's all I check. (Enable browser cookies.)

Clarification of my previous post: The last page of the Final Order and Judgment (pdf file) has a hand-written note explaining that the funds will be placed in an interest bearing escrow account pending resolution of the fee dispute between the attorneys.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Not related to this claim, myself and my spouse just received settlement checks from a foreign currency exchange fee class action lawsuit (http://ccfsettlement.com/). Over 10 million claims were filed.

The lawsuit is about the price cardholders of Visa-, MasterCard-, or Diners Club-branded payment cards were charged to make transactions in a foreign currency, or with a foreign merchant, between February 1, 1996 and November 8, 2006. Settlement was on October 2009. Final judgment was November 4, 2009, which went to appeals. Final resolution on October 5, 2011, check distribution to complete by Dec 31, 2011. (Like any other company, they wait until the last minute to dispurse funds...)

The award fee was based on $25 prorated against a number of factors. We each ended up with a check for$18.04 (different cards, different claims). On top of this, there is a second pending lawsuit.

In any case, this is a 2 year gap between settlement and compensation.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby averageJoe » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Sure LG and if you win be prepared to buy a small coffee at Strabucks...after you throw in a little extra.....it can be a win and a loss at the same time......for the small fry!
averageJoe

Postby Stefanie2530 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:49 am

I too, signed up for the class action suit. The paperwork we received said a settlement had been reached (with, of course, Washington Mutual NOT admitting any wrongdoing...) I completed my paperwork and returned it. When time passed and I hadn't heard anything, I contacted the attorney's office handling the class action suit. Turns out, 4 people disagreed with the settlement, thus causing a big, fat DELAY! Here is a copy of the email response I received from the attorney's office last year. (I did remove my last name from the letter)
Dear Ms. (my last name was here...I removed it)

Peter asked that I write you and give you an update regarding the WAMU settlement.

At the end of September, the settlement was entered. But, subsequently four different parties appealed the settlement. Unfortunately, what this means for us is more delay. We expect this appeal to take approximately a year to get sorted out, and, after that, we still need to go through the settlement administration process, which could take another several months.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but please feel free to contact us if you have any more questions. Thank you.

Regards,

Sung
[formatting fixed and law firm contact info deleted by admin alex]
Stefanie2530

Postby Ladyshort1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Hello Stefanie2530,

Do you know of any new recent updates on the Washington Mutual Class Action suit , since your last post in June ? I too, have submitted all of my paperwork over a year ago , and
awaiting the settlement. Can you Please give me any contact information that you have , because I have been unsuccessful in contacting anyone that will respond .

Thank You
Ladyshort1
[Personal email address removed by admin LadyGeek. Use Private Messaging, personal contact info should not be posted.]
Ladyshort1

Postby penglish » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:09 pm

As of January 19, 2013, I have not heard anything concerning the Washington Mutual class action suit. If possible, could you post an update? Thanks.
penglish

Re:

Postby Diogenes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:36 am

Mister Roper wrote:

I would also like to defend the lawyers who take on cases like this, as well as their fees. Pursuing class action cases on behalf of consumers who have been misled, defrauded, or otherwise cheated by multi-billion dollar corporations is very, very hard. The huge company throws tons of money at lawyers of their own to fight every step of the way. The lawyers representing the consumers have nobody paying them, until and unless the case settles, which means that they risk never getting paid (and that's often what happens). On top of that, in a regular contingency fee arrangement, the fees that go to the lawyer is between the lawyer and the client -- the court doesn't get involved. In a class action case, because the vast majority of the class members are not actively involved in the case and have not formally "agreed" to be represented by the attorneys, the court has to have a "final fairness hearing," and approve both the settlement itself and the award of attorney fees. If it weren't for the lawyers willing to take on these battles, consumers wouldn't be getting their money back in cases like this, and corporations would be doing all kinds of other bad things -- things that they are not doing now, because they know they can't get away with it, because of noble class action lawyers.

Let's put it this way. If those class action lawyers can make such good money so easily, you ought to spend $150k on three years of law school and do it yourself.

But, to respond to the original post, I don't see any reason at all not to file a claim. It only takes a couple minutes, there is no downside to you, and, frankly, it's money that you deserve.

On the other hand, if it were so hard why are there so many law firms specializing in scouring the country looking for class action opportunities? Feel sorry for the lawyers, or honored they chose to spend $150k on law school (too many lawyers out there anyway), I think not. Class Action solicitations received in the mail like Blockbuster, WAMU, and many others are designed to help pay off the poor investment too many lawyers made spending $150k at law school, or pay the car payments of the partners.
Everyone that signs up for these consumer class action suits is a revenue source, nothing more. A revenue source by the way that is paid for by everyone else in higher product costs.
Truth and clarity are important in all things...
Diogenes

Postby lindisfarne » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:53 am

From the FAQs on the class action page:

16. What Will Happen if the Appeals Court Upholds the District Court’s Final Approval of the Settlement?

UPDATE: Beginning in October 2011, appeals were filed in the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (the “Second Circuit”) challenging the District Court for the Eastern District of New York's (the “District Court”) approval of the Settlement Agreement and award of attorneys’ fees. Following briefing, the Second Circuit heard argument on the appeals on November 9, 2012. On November 20, 2012, the Second Circuit entered a Summary Order and Judgment affirming the District Court's Final Order and Judgment approving the Settlement Agreement and award of attorneys’ fees. A copy of that Summary Order and Judgment is posted here. If no further appeals are filed, the Parties and Settlement Administrator will begin the process of distributing the settlement proceeds to Claiming Class Members (those who filed timely and valid claims).

If the appeals court upholds the District Court’s final approval of the Settlement Agreement and the Effective Date (as defined in the Agreement) occurs, then, among other things, (1) the Litigation will be dismissed with prejudice against WMI; (2) the Released WMI Parties will be released from the “Released Claims” asserted in this Litigation on behalf of all Class Members, except those who opt-out (“Released WMI Parties” and “Class Claims” are defined in the Settlement Agreement); and (3) Claiming Class Members will be entitled to receive a Claim Payment from the Net Settlement Fund.
lindisfarne

Postby beachpatty » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:37 am

Hello;

I am still waiting to hear from the Settlement and/or receive a check/payment. I have also recently moved & need to know how to change my address with the administrators of the suit. Has anyone received any information or settlement yet?
Any info appreciated!
Patty
beachpatty

Postby nisiprius » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:09 am

I've filed a couple of class action claims of the sort where you spend ten minutes on a website or check some boxes and mail a short form back, and I've gotten a couple of checks for chump change--$12 in something involving CDs and privacy and DRM, something similar involving Transunion and also got six months free access to my credit score.

I don't see any upside in not filing unless one has some reason for investing, I suppose, many thousands of dollars and many hours of time because one has a substantial separate claim or something. I would shrug, resolve not to spend too much time on it, and if it's just ten minutes, do it.

I could have gotten back several dollars in an MFS (mutual fund)-related settlement, but when I realized the paperwork had been lying on my desk for several months and I still hadn't gotten around to it--I was supposed to include eight-year-old brokerage statements with the claim--I shrugged and just pitched it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby beachpatty » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:50 am

I received a check yesterday for $300.00 from the class action suit against several banks/mortgage companies - my friend received a check for $3,750.00 under the same suit! I am on my way out the door to work & will supply additional info later if you want it. Our bank was US Bank but there were several involved but not WAMU in this one.
beachpatty

Postby JW Nearly Retired » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:55 am

Your postage expense may be more. I filed for one of these some time ago and actually got a check for some sum like $0.18.
JW
Retired Summer 2013
JW Nearly Retired

Postby livesoft » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:01 am

Perhaps you have already read that some of those settlement checks have bounced: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/ ... ed-checks/
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby Chicago60 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:39 pm

JW....the scenario you posted about is rare. Most class action settlements will ensure a minimum amount so that class members are not out of pocket (in stamp cost or otherwise) when they file a claim. There are limited exceptions and abuses, and your circumstance may have been one of them. Livesoft...the recent NYT article was a different settlement than posted by the OP.

For many of the reasons already articulated above (I happen to practice in the area), you should read the material and file a claim.
Chicago60

Postby beachpatty » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:18 am

The response I received from my email to one of the attorneys listed on the suit.

Thank you for your email. The settlement closed 8 months ago, and the process of distributing claims is over. Did you submit a claim?

I responded accordingly and will update any further info. I did respond to his email this morning.
beachpatty

Postby beachpatty » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:20 am

Chicago60 wrote:JW....the scenario you posted about is rare. Most class action settlements will ensure a minimum amount so that class members are not out of pocket (in stamp cost or otherwise) when they file a claim. There are limited exceptions and abuses, and your circumstance may have been one of them. Livesoft...the recent NYT article was a different settlement than posted by the OP.

For many of the reasons already articulated above (I happen to practice in the area), you should read the material and file a claim.

My friend deposited her check ($3750.00) on Tuesday and the funds were available yesterday - no problems/issues.
beachpatty

Postby JW Nearly Retired » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:53 am

Chicago60 wrote:JW....the scenario you posted about is rare. Most class action settlements will ensure a minimum amount so that class members are not out of pocket (in stamp cost or otherwise) when they file a claim. There are limited exceptions and abuses, and your circumstance may have been one of them. Livesoft...the recent NYT article was a different settlement than posted by the OP.

The $0.18 check was perhaps 10+ years back and I don't recall what class action it was.

But thanks for this thread jogging the old memory. I sent in a claim only 2 years ago for a part of the Washington Mutual Securities Litigation class action settlement. Since then have had no comminication from them about what is going on. Better give them a call and see.
JW
ps: Did call and got through the phone tree to a human. I was told everything is OK, they have my claim and no issues with it. Just will be another estimated 3-6 months, (but warned it could be more), before any checks are sent. The judge's "ORDER APPROVING PLAN OF ALLOCATION OF NET SETTLEMENT FUNDS" was issued Nov. 4, 2011. Apparently these things take time. :P

They could have put some kind of status info on the web site but the last thing there is the Nov. 4, 2011 order.
Last edited by JW Nearly Retired on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Summer 2013
JW Nearly Retired

Re:

Postby chaz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Tom_T wrote:Class-action suits are the greatest thing ever invented -- for lawyers.

Well lawyers need to earn their bread and butter.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Re:

Postby sadie wess » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Higman wrote:I’ve participated in three class action law suits (that I’m aware of).

1. Blockbuster lost the suit and awarded me a coupon for one rental.

2. A cruise line (NCL?) lost and sent me a $25 coupon for my next cruise.

3. After the .com bubble burst XEROX lost a $50M suit and I though I was entitled to $200. But so many people participated that after legal fees and proration my share was under $10. That amount disqualified me from any payment whatsoever. The insidious part came when a year later a $250M class action law suit was brought against XEROX for the same thing. Great I thought, perhaps this time I’ll get some money. Wrong again. Anyone who had previously participated in any suit against Xerox was disqualified. Lawyers win, people loose.

It is rarely worth the time and effort.

Higman hit the nail on the head...lawyers win, people lose. Not worth the time and effort.
sadie wess

Postby beachpatty » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 am

Here's the deal!

We have two class actions involving Washington Mutual/JP Morgan.

The first is an employment matter. Were you employed by WAMU?

The second case involves mortgages.

If you could give me more information, such as a claim number, I could research further.
beachpatty

Postby Chicago60 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:40 pm

JW.....my guess (I do not know) is that the settlement approval was appealed by a class member who objected to the settlement, and that has been the cause of the delay.

Your criticism that the website lacks information post final approval is well founded, but there is a practical reason: the judge who oversees the case likely reviewed and approvaed everything the parties agreed to post on the website, and once the court approved the settlement (and the case was thereafter appealed), the judge lost jurisdiction to address any issues (including what else might be posted on the website) and the parties were more concerned with briefing the appeal than trying to get authorization to update the website.
Chicago60

Postby JW Nearly Retired » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Chicago60 wrote: JW.....my guess (I do not know) is that the settlement approval was appealed by a class member who objected to the settlement, and that has been the cause of the delay.

Your criticism that the website lacks information post final approval is well founded, but there is a practical reason: the judge who oversees the case likely reviewed and approvaed everything the parties agreed to post on the website, and once the court approved the settlement (and the case was thereafter appealed), the judge lost jurisdiction to address any issues (including what else might be posted on the website) and the parties were more concerned with briefing the appeal than trying to get authorization to update the website.

Chicago,
That makes sense. The web site seemed really sparse from the start, like only highly screened stuff can appear.

Thanks for your explanation.
JW
Retired Summer 2013
JW Nearly Retired

Postby oceans22 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:45 pm

beachpatty wrote:The response I received from my email to one of the attorneys listed on the suit.

Thank you for your email. The settlement closed 8 months ago, and the process of distributing claims is over. Did you submit a claim?

I responded accordingly and will update any further info. I did respond to his email this morning.

Are you sure this is accurate Beachpatty? Because their website page states that the final appear denial was just entered in on May 2013? See below

On April 29, 2013, the Supreme Court denied the last objector’s petition for certiorari to take a further appeal of the judgment approving the Settlement Agreement. The objector’s time to petition the Supreme Court for a rehearing of that denial expired on May 24, 2013. Accordingly, pursuant to the Settlement Agreement, the settlement has become final.

Class Counsel, WMI, and the Settlement Administrator are now in the process of reviewing the claim forms submitted by class members and appropriate payments for qualifying claim forms will be distributed in the next few months.

So it couldn't have been done & distributed 8 months ago????
oceans22

Next

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)