Do any new dishwashers completely dry the dishes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Do any new dishwashers completely dry the dishes?

Postby FrugalInvestor » Sat May 21, 2011 12:58 pm

We just purchased a new Whirlpool dishwasher to replace our nine-year-old GE that sprung a leak. The new one just barely dries the dishes leaving water on the tops of the glasses and sometimes on the silverware. Since it's usually just the two of us we do not heavily load our dishwasher. We're using the water sheeting agent and have experimented with different cycles including high temp rinse along with heated dry. We've also run the water in the sink prior to starting the dishwasher to make sure it is hot and turned up our water heater. I've measured the temperature of the hot water and it is well above the recommended 120 degrees. Some of these things slightly improve the situation (although seem contrary to the saving energy goal) but nothing solves it.

After googling the issue it appears that it is a very common problem and probably the result of manufacturers meeting revised energy saving guidelines instituted in the last few years. I don't know about others, but I'd really like to be able to just take the dishes out of the dishwasher following the heated dry cycle and put them away without further towel drying or dripping.

Whirlpool Gold dishwashers have a 30-day satisfaction return guarantee that we are taking advantage of so we are now preparing to search for another machine - one that will, hopefully, completely dry our dishes.

Do any of the new dishwashers completely dry the dishes? The KitchenAid site claims that they do but since they are built by Whirlpool I'm skeptical.
"Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, and over these ideals they dispute and cannot unite, but they all worship money. - Mark Twain
FrugalInvestor

Postby chaz » Sat May 21, 2011 1:03 pm

My GE does.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby FrugalInvestor » Sat May 21, 2011 1:08 pm

chaz wrote:My GE does.

Is it a fairly new one Chaz? If so, would you mind sharing the model number?
"Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, and over these ideals they dispute and cannot unite, but they all worship money. - Mark Twain
FrugalInvestor

Postby chaz » Sat May 21, 2011 1:28 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:

It's 8 yrs old. Triton XL model.

Good luck.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby FrugalInvestor » Sat May 21, 2011 1:39 pm

chaz wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:

It's 8 yrs old. Triton XL model.

Good luck.

Yes, our 9 year old GE dried our dishes completely too.

I'd be curious hear from someone who has a newer GE.
FrugalInvestor

Postby DAK » Sat May 21, 2011 2:01 pm

We too are getting a new DW...this not drying all the way appears to the case with all the new models...doubt this can be avoided given the enery saving requirements.
DAK

Postby Christine_NM » Sat May 21, 2011 2:31 pm

My one-year-old Kitchenaid dries completely with the heat-dry on. If I turn off this option and let them dry with just left over heat, plastic items don't dry completely.

As for the film left by no-phosphate detergents, which is a different issue, I found that was only a problem if I used extra cycles, like a pre-scrub or extra rinse.

My hot water is not set at maximum, but I run the sink to make sure the water is hot at the moment I turn on the dishwasher.

On just normal and heated dry, everything is dandy with Cascade cheapo powder and Jet-Dry rinse agent.
Last edited by Christine_NM on Sat May 21, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savor the moment.
Christine_NM

Postby Atilla » Sat May 21, 2011 2:32 pm

We have a 4-year old Siemens dishwasher. Everything except tupperware-type containers come out dry. The plastic has lips and ridges that hold a little water.

Anything metal or glass/china dry completely.
Atilla

Postby JDCPAEsq » Sat May 21, 2011 2:40 pm

One year old Samsung is wonderful. So dry you can't touch the dishes when using the sterilize setting.
John
JDCPAEsq

Postby tomd37 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:58 pm

Frugal,

Your timing is great. At the time of your post my wife and I were in the local applicance distributorship. We are doing a kitchen remodeling which includes a dishwasher, stove, and microwave replacement.

We were looking at a Bosch dishwasher, model SHX45L15UC. The salesperson explained that Bosch uses a condensation drying method in which, during the final rinse, the water is raised to 160 degrees which heats the dishes to a point where the rinsing agent allows them to sheet dry. I read somewhere online that the cooler stainless steel sides of the washer condenses the steam coming off the dishes and drains the condensation into the bottom of the washer. You must use a rinsing agent to get dry dishes. There is no heating coil in the bottom of this unit as there had been on older models we have had.
Tom D.
tomd37

Postby Jake46 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:59 pm

My Bosch dries well.
Jake46

Postby FrugalInvestor » Sat May 21, 2011 3:38 pm

In sitting here researching online I've found that unfortunately Bosch does not offer the bisque color that we need.

We appear to be limited to Amana, Frigidaire, GE, Hotpoint, KitchenAid, Maytag and Whirlpool. I believe all of these brands are now manufactured by either GE or Whirlpool.
FrugalInvestor

Postby marylandcrab » Sat May 21, 2011 3:48 pm

My kitchenaid does. I usually leave the door open a couple minutes to let out the steam - that puppy gets hot!
marylandcrab

Postby jeffyscott » Sat May 21, 2011 6:27 pm

We have a one year old kitchenaide and usually do not use the heated dry cycle...even though that was one reason for choosing the brand. I did not trust the idea of relying completely on air drying. (The other main reason for our choice is that we preferred having a food grinder rather than a filter that requires cleaning).

The dishes air dry much faster than our old whirlpool did and the heated drying is much hotter than our old whirlpool.

We would have preferred bisque but took a black one, I think we would have had to give up a couple features and get a not quite so quiet model to get bisque. To us the black looks fine even though it is right next to a bisque stove and we have a bisque refrigerator also.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Postby Chuck T » Sat May 21, 2011 6:45 pm

We have a relatively new Bosch dishwasher. It dries nothing. It is my understanding that Bosch dishwashers do not have a drying element in them.
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
Chuck T

Postby FrugalInvestor » Sun May 22, 2011 12:13 am

We decided to go with a GE (model GLD7400) for a few of reasons. First, it's offered in the bisque color. Second, our old one was GE and we liked the layout of the racks and flatware basket much better than the Whirlpool. The interior of the new GE models look very similar. Third, the one we chose has an 'extra heat' button which is supposed to heat the wash water more and leave the heat element on longer during the dry cycle.

Consumer Reports ranks this particular model middle of the pack but they rated the Whirlpool as one of the top models so I think their criteria and ours may differ significantly.

Now we need to get the return worked out with Sears (where we purchased) or Whirlpool which also offers a 30-day return option. For some reason the Sears store had to call the return in (if we wanted it picked up) so we're waiting on a call back from them to confirm the refund, price match (to Home Depot) and delivery/pick-up. We're keeping our fingers crossed.
FrugalInvestor

Postby cleosdad » Sun May 22, 2011 11:18 am

Christine_NM wrote:My one-year-old Kitchenaid dries completely with the heat-dry on. If I turn off this option and let them dry with just left over heat, plastic items don't dry completely.

As for the film left by no-phosphate detergents, which is a different issue, I found that was only a problem if I used extra cycles, like a pre-scrub or extra rinse.

My hot water is not set at maximum, but I run the sink to make sure the water is hot at the moment I turn on the dishwasher.

On just normal and heated dry, everything is dandy with Cascade cheapo powder and Jet-Dry rinse agent.
I agree with this. We looked at Bosch but bought Kitchenaid. Wife is happy and so am I. Dishes are clean and dry.
cleosdad

Postby stlutz » Sun May 22, 2011 11:19 am

I have a Bosch and like it b/c it's super quiet. Dishes come out clean and w/o spots (and I don't use a rinse agent). I've never used heated drying on any dishwasher, so I'm used to them not being completely dry when the cycle is done. But living a dry climate I just open the door up partway and they're dry once I get up in the morning.
stlutz

Postby Opponent Process » Sun May 22, 2011 11:27 am

we just leave them in the dishwasher a little longer, say overnight. actually we usually tend to take items piecemeal out of the dishwasher as needed.
30/30/20/20 | US/International/Bonds/TIPS | Average Age=37
Opponent Process

Postby Cherokee8215 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:15 pm

6 year old GE here that leaves water on the tops of the glasses but does fine otherwise.
Cherokee8215

Postby Fletch » Sun May 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Our one year old Asko is great. Only leaves water on plastic glasses that have a rim on the bottom (rim holds water when glasses are upside down in the dishwasher); everything else is dry, but we do use a rinse aid. The Asko is the quietest, best cleaning dishwasher we have had so far (previously had GE, a couple of Whirlpools, Magic Chef).
. | | "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." | - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
Fletch

Postby Harold » Sun May 22, 2011 3:59 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:unfortunately Bosch does not offer the bisque color that we need.

Any chance of getting the Bosch and just spilling soup on it?
Harold

Postby LynnC » Sun May 22, 2011 4:11 pm

tomd37 wrote:Frugal,

Your timing is great. At the time of your post my wife and I were in the local applicance distributorship. We are doing a kitchen remodeling which includes a dishwasher, stove, and microwave replacement.

We were looking at a Bosch dishwasher, model SHX45L15UC. The salesperson explained that Bosch uses a condensation drying method in which, during the final rinse, the water is raised to 160 degrees which heats the dishes to a point where the rinsing agent allows them to sheet dry. I read somewhere online that the cooler stainless steel sides of the washer condenses the steam coming off the dishes and drains the condensation into the bottom of the washer. You must use a rinsing agent to get dry dishes. There is no heating coil in the bottom of this unit as there had been on older models we have had.

+1 for Bosch
LynnC

Postby stratton » Sun May 22, 2011 5:05 pm

No, it's a waste of energy.

I crack the door and let it air dry.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
stratton

Postby taurabora » Sun May 22, 2011 5:44 pm

We don't use the heated dry. Run the dishwasher after dinner, then open the dishwasher and pull the drawers out overnight. Unload in the morning.

Rinse, repeat.
taurabora

Postby Cosmo » Sun May 22, 2011 9:38 pm

You mean people actually own dishwashers that completely dry everything?

I never heard of one.

Cosmo
Cosmo

Return to Personal Consumer Issues