Who else has written cringe-worthy posts?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Who else has written cringe-worthy posts?

Post by fredflinstone »

I look back at some of the dumb posts I wrote a year ago (right after I discovered this board), and I cringe. Much of what I wrote was so awful.

Has anyone else written posts that make them cringe?
Munir

Re: Who else has written cringe-worthy posts?

Post by Munir »

fredflinstone wrote:I look back at some of the dumb posts I wrote a year ago (right after I discovered this board), and I cringe. Much of what I wrote was so awful.

Never :D .
joey potsnpans

Post by joey potsnpans »

I am pretty new to this forum. I still have plenty of time.
Regards, | | Joe | | It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.- Yogi Berra
shawcroft

Posts that make you cringe

Post by shawcroft »

Many of the posts I made when I first joined this Forum reflected my lack of familiarity with financial matters and confusion with the somewhat arcane language of investing (i.e., now just what is "contango"?)
Having moved past that state, much of what I post now directly reflects my stupidity.
Shawcroft
Sheepdog

Re: Posts that make you cringe

Post by Sheepdog »

shawcroft wrote:Many of the posts I made when I first joined this Forum reflected my lack of familiarity with financial matters and confusion with the somewhat arcane language of investing (i.e., now just what is "contango"?)
Having moved past that state, much of what I post now directly reflects my stupidity.
Shawcroft
Funny :lol:
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

Your post reminded me of this Mark Twain quote:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

fredflinstone wrote:I look back at some of the dumb posts I wrote a year ago (right after I discovered this board), and I cringe. Much of what I wrote was so awful.

It would be worse if you weren't learning/better/wiser for a year or two of extra experience. I look back on my stock trades from 2 years ago and they were wild and reckless. One year ago they were merely poor quality but not bad, and this year they look pretty reasonable. I hope this remains true going forward.
jazzykat

Post by jazzykat »

All of my posts are cringe worthy when I look back on them in a year. I'm a neophyte but I am very grateful for all the incredible advice I have already gotten here.
Snowjob

Post by Snowjob »

Almost everyone of mine could be cringe worthy to the reader given my spelling and gramar tendencies...
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo »

Fred, I've enjoyed reading a lot of your posts and I don't think you have anything to cringe about.

John
Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. | | Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)
Whatyear?

Post by Whatyear? »

I cringe as I'm posting :D . You never know the reaction you'll get.
Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 »

The only time I cringe at posts is when someone is intentionally being a jerk. Mistakes and/or being uninformed about certain things is not a big deal, imo.
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

I have been taken to task (correctly) for rude and/or unhelpful posts.

I hope I have learned from the courtious criticism I have received here.

As an example: I have learned to suppress the urge to respond to posts by Munchkin Man. :D
pjstack
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

It's like looking into your old year books and asking yourself why your hair was like that.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

Your overly-judgemental posts on the evils of working moms were pretty cringe worthy.
greetje

Post by greetje »

I think it was Taylor that said after one of my "stupid" post that no question is stupid.
We all learn from each other and sometimes when we ask something that makes us cringe, someone else may be in that same situation and looking for answers.
At least I hope so :)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

bertie wooster wrote:

Your overly-judgemental posts on the evils of working moms were pretty cringe worthy.
I agree. I cringed when I read them.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Langkawi

Post by Langkawi »

Every paulsiu thread.
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

bertie wooster wrote:

you are completely mischaracterizing my views. I do not object to working moms. I object to both parents working when (a) there is no financial need to do so and (b) they have very young children.
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

VictoriaF wrote:
bertie wooster wrote:

I agree. I cringed when I read them.

Victoria
I never said I consider working moms evil. If you disagree with me, that's fine but please don't misrepresent that I said. Thanks.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

I don't want to bring that thread here, but I agree that the posts attacking fredflinstone are cringe-worthy. I thought it was pretty clear what he was saying, but y'all had to go and make it into a sexist thing.
wilpat

Soprlczci is bkote

Post by wilpat »

I lwuk bhek at spoe of tke dmeb psets I wrose a yofr ago (rbtdt afwer I dsieficerd tkjs biodd), and I crunge. Merh of woht I wrude wur so afoyl.
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

Chuck wrote:I don't want to bring that thread here, but I agree that the posts attacking fredflinstone are cringe-worthy. I thought it was pretty clear what he was saying, but y'all had to go and make it into a sexist thing.
I'm glad one person understood where I was coming from. I suppose I could have been clearer from the outset. If the wife was earning much more than the husband, I would have suggested that dad stay home with the kids.
BigD53

Post by BigD53 »

Both my parents worked, and me and my sisters turned out just fine.

Also, if one parent stays home with the kids, you then put day care workers out of business. We don't need more unemployment. :lol:
Tadpole

Post by Tadpole »

I remain as I began, a Tadpole. Can't hop and slurp like my older brothers but can swim a tad.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I misspelled Jack Bogle in my first post. I believe that a kind moderator (or someone) corrected it for me.

Now that's bad!
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

fredflinstone wrote:[...]you are completely mischaracterizing my views. I do not object to working moms. I object to both parents working when (a) there is no financial need (emphasis mine) to do so and (b) they have very young children.
Who determines financial need or, should I say, when is enough enough?

- Porcupine

PS: It is ironic that poor fredflinstone wanted folks to talk about their cringe-worthy posts and here we are discussing his post that others found cringeworthy!
greg24

Post by greg24 »

I agree that you have had cringe-worthy posts.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

jginseattle wrote:I misspelled Jack Bogle in my first post. I believe that a kind moderator (or someone) corrected it for me.

Now that's bad!
That is pretty funny!!

We have all said and done things that made us feeling stupid later on. To do otherwise would not be human.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
sadie wess

Post by sadie wess »

Quasimodo wrote:Fred, I've enjoyed reading a lot of your posts and I don't think you have anything to cringe about.

John
+1
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

"I believe, with Jean Genet, and Jesus Christ, and Oscar Wilde, and a few other martyrs and mystics and troublemakers, that humiliation is a kiln through which the human soul passes, and where it receives burnishing, glazing, and consolidating. Humiliation cooks the spirit to a fine finish."

From Humiliation, by Wayne Koestenbaum.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I got political on my very first post and was thouroughly reprimanded! It set my mind straight.
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I have one I regretted.
Munir

Post by Munir »

You can always edit or delete them instead of continuing to feel miserable about them.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Munir wrote:You can always edit or delete them instead of continuing to feel miserable about them.
But if they're really good, someone's already quoted them in their entirety.
Taylor Larimore

A "Cringe Worthy" history

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Fred:

I first started investing in individual stocks. :roll:

Later I learned the advantages of mutual funds but unfortunately I used past performance to select our funds. :roll: :roll:

After that I became a market timer. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Eventually I had the good fortune to read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" and "Bogle on Mutual Funds." :-) :-) :-) :-)
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
rylemdr

Post by rylemdr »

I think I got a lot of backlash for that post when I was simply asking someone to check my assignment. :cry:

Who knows, I might find myself cringing about that a year from now too. :lol:
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Last edited by CaliJim on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenner

Re: A "Cringe Worthy" history

Post by kenner »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi Fred:

I first started investing in individual stocks. :roll:

Later I learned the advantages of mutual funds but unfortunately I used past performance to select our funds. :roll: :roll:

After that I became a market timer. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Eventually I had the good fortune to read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" and "Bogle on Mutual Funds." :-) :-) :-) :-)
Hi Taylor,

Thank you for yet more remembrances as to how some of us have evolved through the world of investing. My education began in the late 1960's and followed a track similar to yours.

I remember reading a treatise by Sheldon Jacobs (a huge tome; I think it was titled "The No Load Fund Investor" and it basically covered most of the known universe of No Load Mutual Funds in the early 1970's).

Vanguard emerged as my favorite then and it remains so today.

But I still remember those forays into the speculative investment world, particularly the speculation in the merger and acquisition mania surrounding companies like UAL in the late 1980's, where I made a few bucks.

I much prefer today's "get rich slowly' world of total market index investing. Much easier to sleep at night.

Thanks to you, Mel, Michael and Jack for all you have done for us.

Ken
Taylor Larimore

Mr. Sheldon Jacobs

Post by Taylor Larimore »

I remember reading a treatise by Sheldon Jacobs (a huge tome; I think it was titled "The No Load Fund Investor" and it basically covered most of the known universe of No Load Mutual Funds in the early 1970's).

Hi Ken:

For many years, I was a subscriber to Sheldon Jacob's No-Load Mutual Funds newsletter. I once had a private lunch with him which remains a highlight of my investing career.

Bogleheads can read an interesting interview with Mr. Jacob's here:

http://www.forbes.com/2002/02/19/0219adviser.html
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle