For your safety, this appliance is fitted with a flame supervision device which will shut-off the gas supply if, for any reason, the pilot flame goes out. This device incorporates a fixed probe, which senses the heat from the pilot flame. If the probe is cool, the device will prevent any gas flow unless manually lighting the pilot.
But how would a gas fireplace produce condensation with the pilot turned off? It would have to be quite cold and come into contact with warm humid air.
jstat wrote:In my case the fireplace is in a cool (air conditioned) basement room. When it is very hot and humid outside, moisture would condense on the inside of the fireplace glass. I live in Maryland, where hot humid summers are the norm, and the basement tends to get overcooled.
If we used less AC, or it didn't get as hot outside, my guess is the condensation problem would be much less.
Ahh. Maybe the chimney flue is still open? There should be a manual damper for you to close. If not, crack open the glass doors enough until the moisture disappears
TranceLordSnyder wrote:Do you know what gas smells like? The actual gas doesn't smell, but there is an additive put in so you can smell if there is a gas leak. I would get a propane and natural gas detector just to make sure you aren't leaking anything, or turn off the gas from your tank or main.
I shut off my pilot light once the weather warms up and turn it back on when it's cold enough to run the fireplace again. I don't see any signs of deterioration. My opinion is, it costs to leave the pilot light on and it's not very environmentally friendly to keep burning gas. I don't know what the right answer is though.
Saluki31 wrote:I don't like paying for gas usage, considering we never use it. But, I guess that's better than the whole thing rusting out.
matt wrote:Saluki31 wrote:I don't like paying for gas usage, considering we never use it. But, I guess that's better than the whole thing rusting out.
May I ask the obvious question of why you feel the need to preserve something that you never use? Considering that there may not be a potential rust problem at all, this seems like an expensive choice to make.
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jstat and 14 guests