What is the best site to compare funds???

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

What is the best site to compare funds???

Postby davidkw » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:24 am

SCHWAB Compare

Vanguard Compare

Previously I used to use the Schwab Compare or the Vanguard compare screens. I tried comparing Vanguard EX USA Small Cap VFSVX ro Schwab's Fundamental Intl Small-Mid Cap SFILX but it did not work. I seethat Yahoo Finance is used often on this site. How do I find it? I searched and must of missed it. Any other compare sites good to use?
David

From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
davidkw

Postby livesoft » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:40 am

finance.yahoo.com

morningstar.com

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/re ... sp?Funds=1

But may I ask what data exactly are you going to compare?

For funds less than a year old, it will be difficult to use anything but the prospectus as the data bases are not updated.
livesoft

Postby likegarden » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:56 am

Fundinvestor at Morningstar.com, costs about $100/year.

M* gives you a list of the best 500 funds, tabulated each with about 30 different financial parameters in asset groups, rates the funds and their managers. I use it to review the funds of my portfolio and alternatives, since 2006, then decided that indices are the best.

Good luck!
likegarden

Postby KyleAAA » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:40 pm

I use Morningstar since I rarely have a need to compare mutual funds. The portfolio tools that come with the free account are pretty decent.
KyleAAA

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General