Even hear of a Swiss Annuity?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Even hear of a Swiss Annuity?

Postby pkcrafter » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:02 pm

I'm posting this for someone who has not been able to find good information on Swiss annuities. He asks from the viewpoint of an American citizen expatriate who might not qualify for a domestic annuity because of non-residence in a state. He is 68 and retired. Here's what he found:

http://www.swissannuity.ch/faqs.htm

I looked that the q/a and noticed that like other annuities, the fees are not provided. The product sounds a bit like a combination of a SPIA and an indexed product. Any thought on this?

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
pkcrafter

Postby dmcmahon » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:50 pm

dmcmahon

Re: Even hear of a Swiss Annuity?

Postby Ron » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:18 pm

pkcrafter wrote:I'm posting this for someone who has not been able to find good information on Swiss annuities.

Been spending time on various M* forums :lol: ?...

- Ron
Ron

M*

Postby pkcrafter » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:21 pm

Guilty, Ron. The original question was posed on Investing During Retirement. (As you know :) )

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
pkcrafter

Re: M*

Postby Ron » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:29 pm

pkcrafter wrote:Guilty, Ron. The original question was posed on Investing During Retirement. (As you know :) )

Paul

Yes; I spend some time on IDR* as part of my subscription to M* forums.

As you well know, there is a discussion going on between this forum vs. the original M* Boglehead's Forum.

I'm not saying anything (although I'm a "stinker" for mentioning it) :lol: ...

- Ron
Ron

Re: M*

Postby Mel Lindauer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:09 pm

Ron wrote:
pkcrafter wrote:Guilty, Ron. The original question was posed on Investing During Retirement. (As you know :) )

Paul

Yes; I spend some time on IDR* as part of my subscription to M* forums.

As you well know, there is a discussion going on between this forum vs. the original M* Boglehead's Forum.

I'm not saying anything (although I'm a "stinker" for mentioning it) :lol: ...

- Ron

Yes, and they're striking out and saying some unkind things about the Bogleheads forum and our forum moderation (mostly -- but not all --- by disgruntled posters who were banned from this forum for numerous violations of forum policy despite repeated warnings).

Perhaps they should look at how that forum has deteriorated rather than worrying about our forum.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

swiss annuity

Postby pkcrafter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:38 pm

No one has any info on Swiss annuities?

Paul
pkcrafter

Re: swiss annuity

Postby Ron » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:44 pm

pkcrafter wrote:No one has any info on Swiss annuities?

Paul

Nope; only buy Swiss watches & chocolates :lol: ...

- Ron
Ron

Postby unclemick » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Ron wrote:

Paul

Nope; only buy Swiss watches & chocolates :lol: ...

- Ron

1970's the Brit/Commonwealth engineers I worked with kept calling me a 'Provincial American' for sticking with 'Bogle's folly' and not considering Swiss annuties, gold and International stocks - cause the $ and pound were weak and inflation strong.

Silly Brits - what did they know.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

heh heh heh - 8) I have no idea how Swiss annuties(in Swiss Francs?) have performed since 1977. I do know the guys I argued with the most went on to become American citizens. I still like Herseys and Timex.
unclemick

Postby mickeyd » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:38 pm

The Swiss~ I'm rather fond of their cheese, however I have no clue about their annuities.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mickeyd

Postby Barry Barnitz » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Paul

Hi Paul:

See Swiss Annuity.

Swiss Annuities are available, as they are in the US, in two forms:
1. Fixed
2. Variable

Swiss annuities offer excellent creditor protection, as property rights are sacrosanct in Switzerland. The fixed annuity allows one to purchase Swiss Francs (the world's most respected fiat currency) without paying Swiss income tax. However, the US government taxes foreign fixed annuities as the income is accrued, so there is no tax deferral to a US investor for a fixed Swiss Annuity.

Tax deferral is available if the Swiss Annuity is a variable annuity. One should expect to pay the usual 1.5% - 2.5% expense ratios for this investment. See Swiss Variable Annuity for an example.

regards,
Image | blb | December Birthday Celebration: Ludwig van Beethoven
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Return to Investing - Theory, News & General