Is Bob Bogle any relation to John Bogle.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Is Bob Bogle any relation to John Bogle.

Postby gkaplan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Bob Bogle, a founding member of the Hall-of-Fame surfer band, the Ventures, died Sunday at the age of seventy-five.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-bob-bogle17-2009jun17,0,4769304.story
Gordon
gkaplan

Is Bob Bogle related

Postby Taylor Larimore » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:57 pm

gkaplan:

I have read Mr. Bolgle's biography and have followed his writings for many years. I am confident that the Bob Bogle in the link is not a relative of our own Jack (John) Bogle.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Is Bob Bogle any relation to John Bogle.

Postby Mel Lindauer » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:03 am

gkaplan wrote:Bob Bogle, a founding member of the Hall-of-Fame surfer band, the Ventures, died Sunday at the age of seventy-five.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-bob-bogle17-2009jun17,0,4769304.story

No, he's not related to Jack. Apparently you overlooked this part of the story at the link you provided (my bold emphasis):

He is survived by his wife, Yumi; his children, Gary, Mike, Paul, Kathy, Randy and Brandon; his brothers, Clarence, Dennis and Curtis; his sister, Sybil; his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Postby gkaplan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:17 am

He could be a distant relative. I don't think Bogle is that common a name.
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby Mel Lindauer » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:48 am

gkaplan wrote:He could be a distant relative. I don't think Bogle is that common a name.

Sorry, I though you meant a member of his IMMEDIATE family.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Postby nisiprius » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:22 am

gkaplan wrote:He could be a distant relative. I don't think Bogle is that common a name.
It's not a rare surname. I have an idea that it might be a regionally important old East Coast family. Experimenting with Anywho in the area you'd expect turns up on 16 Bogles in Philadelphia, but "over 100" Bogles in Bryn Mawr, PA, over 100 in Valley Forge, over 100 in Haverford, over 100 in King of Prussia.

Click, click, click... It appears to be a Scottish name.

It may mean a goblin.

An introduction to one edition of Frazer's Golden Bough, mentions that Frazer's mother's maiden name was Bogle, and says "the surname Bogle turns up with fair regularity in Caribbean history since Robin Bogle, in the eighteenth century, had emigrated to the West Indies where he started a sugar plantation."

Ramblings through Google Books turn up scraps; a book about Shakespeare says "Pug in Old English, and Bogle in Scottish, are equivalent to Puck." There are multiple references to "bogles" in Sir Walter Scott's Rob Roy. One book says a bogle is "a freakish spirit, who delights rather to perplex and frighten mankind than either to serve or seriously to hurt them." Good to know.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Return to Personal Consumer Issues