Machine Washable Men's Dress Slacks

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Machine Washable Men's Dress Slacks

Postby stan1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:16 pm

I need to replace some of my work slacks. I have been wearing multiple pairs of Joseph and Feiss 55 poly/ 45 wool machine washable slacks from Men's Warehouse for about 4 years, and have been generally happy with them. I have looked at the Jos A Bank machine washable wool trousers and thought they were over priced and lower quality than the Joseph and Feiss slacks. Are there any other choices out there?

Requirements:

- Machine washable. Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I dress better than 95% of the people I work with even in 55/45 blend trousers. It doesn't hurt that my wife actually likes to iron, believe it or not.

- Can be worn with a dress shirt on most days, but looks good with a tie and sport coat when I have to dress up a little more.

- Looks good on a slim/average framed guy.

Basically I want them to look as much like professional wool dress slacks as possible without the hassle and cost of dry cleaning.

Thanks,
stan01
stan1

Re: Machine Washable Men's Dress Slacks

Postby Tall Grass » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:03 pm

stan1 wrote:
Basically I want them to look as much like professional wool dress slacks as possible without the hassle and cost of dry cleaning.

stan01

What exactly is "dry cleaning"?
"A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart." - Jonathan Swift
Tall Grass

Postby deepdrive » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:10 pm

Haggar brand at J.C. Penney. It's all I wear to work.
Investment difficulty and long-term success are perfectly negatively correlated. Keep it simple.
deepdrive

Postby joe8d » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:25 pm

K-Mart's "Comfort Action" pants.Wash and wear very well.About $20 regular,$15 on sale.Waiting for the next sale myself :D
All the Best, | Joe
joe8d

Postby will23 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:33 pm

stan1 wrote:I need to replace some of my work slacks. I have been wearing multiple pairs of Joseph and Feiss 55 poly/ 45 wool machine washable slacks from Men's Warehouse for about 4 years, and have been generally happy with them. I have looked at the Jos A Bank machine washable wool trousers and thought they were over priced and lower quality than the Joseph and Feiss slacks. Are there any other choices out there?

Requirements:

- Machine washable. Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I dress better than 95% of the people I work with even in 55/45 blend trousers. It doesn't hurt that my wife actually likes to iron, believe it or not.

- Can be worn with a dress shirt on most days, but looks good with a tie and sport coat when I have to dress up a little more.

- Looks good on a slim/average framed guy.

Thanks,
stan01

Aside from the last sentence, it sounds like you want Khakis. Bill's Khakis look smarter then your average Khaki and are quite sharp with a sport coat. They are expensive but will last better than most.

Dockers makes a line of machine washable "wool" slacks (they are a blend). Lands End is worth a look, too. You need only dry clean wool if it has stains/odor. If you hang them up promptly they will not even need to be ironed.
will23

Postby Sheepdog » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:48 am

I haven't dry cleaned trousers for 25 years or more. I dry clean suits, sportcoats and overcoats only. There are many brands of washable pants in all major stores. Just read the label....Also take out of the dryer and hang before it stops on it's own.
Jim
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.
Sheepdog

Postby SoonerSunDevil » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:37 am

Brooks Brothers has outstanding pants that fit your requirements. Check out the "advantage chinos" below.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/men/chinos.tem

2 for $139 isn't bad.
SoonerSunDevil

Postby Mr Bear » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:57 am

Farah slacks at Wal-Mart. Pick out your size and inseam, and you don't even have to try 'em on!
Mr Bear

Postby soaring » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:29 am

Levi action slacks. Worn them for over 20 years. Doesn't have a wool look but is certainly no iron with permanent crease. Last time I bought they were available at JCPenney's and Sears.

gene
Desiderata
soaring

Postby Ron » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:11 am

Why not try these?

http://www.kiltmen.com/

No need for dry cleaning, and it keeps the ladies (and more than a few men) "interested".

- Ron
Ron

Postby newbogleuser » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:22 pm

stan1 wrote:- Machine washable. Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I dress better than 95% of the people I work with even in 55/45 blend trousers. It doesn't hurt that my wife actually likes to iron, believe it or not.

That doesn't say much about your employer. Why not just go with 100% wool? With a place like SierraTradingPost, they're always having deals and you can get 100% wool pants for $30-$40 when you catch a sale/coupon.
newbogleuser

Postby CABob » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:24 pm

Its been a couple of years since I've needed this type of pants since I'm now retired, but, I would add another vote for Levis Action Slacks. They were my choice with similar reqirements for a number of years. This was based on look, fit, and wearability.
Bob
CABob

Postby deepdrive » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:57 pm

SoonerSunDevil wrote:Brooks Brothers has outstanding pants that fit your requirements. Check out the "advantage chinos" below.

2 for $139 isn't bad.

I could be a multi billionaire and I still wouldn't spend $70 for a pair of pants.
Investment difficulty and long-term success are perfectly negatively correlated. Keep it simple.
deepdrive

Postby XtremeSki2001 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:59 pm

deepdrive wrote:
SoonerSunDevil wrote:Brooks Brothers has outstanding pants that fit your requirements. Check out the "advantage chinos" below.

2 for $139 isn't bad.

I could be a multi billionaire and I still wouldn't spend $70 for a pair of pants.

We've had this debate before - some people place value where others do not. I'm wearing a $30 pair of black dress pants from Kohl's as we speak, but they don't wear nearly as nice as my $70 dress pants. Will anyone at my work notice the difference - probably not, but I do so to me a $70 pair of dress pants are worth it because I like to be comfortable. Live and let live.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
XtremeSki2001

Postby edge » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:02 pm

I've never been comfortable in anything except high quality 100% worsted wool pants in an office setting. So they need dry cleaning - so what? If you live in an urban/suburban area there is probably a dry cleaner down the street. And who likes (or has time to) ironing pants anyway? (If you just wear them out of the dryer then you can probably just get away with jeans in your office anyway)

Brooks Brothers makes some pretty nice ones.
edge

Postby Cherokee8215 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:39 pm

2 for $139 isn't bad.

This is an old thread (no pun intended :lol: ) but the advantage chinos are on sale, 2 for $119 now, FWIW. They are good pants (I own a pair) but I don't think anyone is going to confuse them with what most people know as "dress slacks." They are just good quality khakis (or whatever color you want them in.)
Cherokee8215

Postby bogglehead » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:22 pm

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
We've had this debate before - some people place value where others do not. I'm wearing a $30 pair of black dress pants from Kohl's as we speak, but they don't wear nearly as nice as my $70 dress pants.

Funny, I was just about to mention Kohl's as a possibility. I have three pair of Brooks Brothers slacks that I paid $75 (or so) for 3+ years ago and they are great. I dry-clean them and normally will wear them for 3-4 days before getting them cleaned (not consecutive, I rotate). I bought a few pairs of washer-safe Kohl's pants and they're just not the same. They're fine for when I'm in a pinch, but they definitely won't last as long and I generally don't like wearing them.

A decent wardrobe is one of the most important expenditures a professional man can make in my opinion. Mine is nothing fancy, but two suits, ten nice shirts and five pair of pants later, I feel pretty good about my chances at finding something good to wear.
bogglehead

Postby XtremeSki2001 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:17 am

bogglehead wrote:
XtremeSki2001 wrote:
We've had this debate before - some people place value where others do not. I'm wearing a $30 pair of black dress pants from Kohl's as we speak, but they don't wear nearly as nice as my $70 dress pants.

Funny, I was just about to mention Kohl's as a possibility. I have three pair of Brooks Brothers slacks that I paid $75 (or so) for 3+ years ago and they are great. I dry-clean them and normally will wear them for 3-4 days before getting them cleaned (not consecutive, I rotate). I bought a few pairs of washer-safe Kohl's pants and they're just not the same. They're fine for when I'm in a pinch, but they definitely won't last as long and I generally don't like wearing them.

A decent wardrobe is one of the most important expenditures a professional man can make in my opinion. Mine is nothing fancy, but two suits, ten nice shirts and five pair of pants later, I feel pretty good about my chances at finding something good to wear.

I agree ... the Kohl's (Haggar, Apt 9, etc) dress pants often need to be tailored to correct the length of the leg (not to mention if you want a color other than black, brown, khaki, or grey you're SOL). The fabric is thin and I often feel like I'm going to rip it. The fabric also shows dust from when my shoes hit the fabic (e.g. crossing my legs) - my higher quality pants don't do this ... maybe it's the blend. The Kohl's fabric also wrinkles easily even though they're non-wrinkle. That being said, I'm still going to keep my black Kohl's dress pants because I'm going to use the money I saved to buy a pair of Allen Edmonds seconds from their outlet.

/rant

For me, it's easier and more comfortable to spend the $70 and the legs (and waist) are appropriately tailored. Nothing wrong with Kohl's pants - they're just not my favorite, but that doesn't make me foolish for spending the additional money for what I value. Too often people here judge others on what they spend their money on. Everyone values things differently - the important thing is to make sure you're saving a good chunk of your income, have an emergency fund, etc - the rest is just minutiae.

/rant
XtremeSki2001

Postby Buster » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:26 pm

stan1 wrote:I need to replace some of my work slacks. I have been wearing multiple pairs of Joseph and Feiss 55 poly/ 45 wool machine washable slacks from Men's Warehouse for about 4 years, and have been generally happy with them.

Thanks,
stan01

Ewwwww, stan1, don't those pants itch? I guess it's all in my head but anything except cotton itches to me. Because of this, I've never felt comfortable in suits. Fortunately, have never had a job that I needed to wear a suit, except on corporate training trips, etc.
Buster

Postby simplesimon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:39 pm

XtremeSki2001 wrote:That being said, I'm still going to keep my black Kohl's dress pants because I'm going to use the money I saved to buy a pair of Allen Edmonds seconds from their outlet.

Was this decision in light of the recent dress shoes thread? Excellent!

I, too, prefer to pay more for better fit and quality.
simplesimon

Postby arthurb999 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:17 pm

I have the same Men's warehouse pants and like them. Catch them on a buy one get one sale... and get more.
arthurb999

Postby shoetrip » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:22 pm

deepdrive wrote:

2 for $139 isn't bad.

Yeah right.
shoetrip

Postby XtremeSki2001 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:50 pm

simplesimon wrote:Was this decision in light of the recent dress shoes thread? Excellent!

Maybe 8)
XtremeSki2001

Postby jeffyscott » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:28 pm

Buster wrote:Ewwwww, stan1, don't those pants itch? I guess it's all in my head but anything except cotton itches to me. Because of this, I've never felt comfortable in suits. Fortunately, have never had a job that I needed to wear a suit, except on corporate training trips, etc.

Thanks, I thought I was the only one. Actually I can tolerate a poly/cotton blend in pants, but I usually will buy 100% cotton (generally spending $15 or less per pair at Kohl's with a sale or clearance price plus 15-30% off). Only cotton may touch the top 1/2 of my body, though...and preferably knit cotton.

Where I work wearing something like Dockers or equivalent means I am better dressed than 95% of the men, since they are almost all in jeans all the time.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle
jeffyscott

Postby stan1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Well since I initiated this thread almost 2 years ago, I'll give an update since its been brought back to life.

I bought some more of the Men's Wearhouse washable blend slacks (on sale with my Perfect Fit discount plus a $50 rebate checks from when I purchased a suit). In fact I still have the old ones which are presentable (its hard to tell them apart). These are very durable pants -- I'm guessing some of them have been washed over 100 times now.

I also bought some similarly priced washable wool blend dress pants at Macy's which are much inferior in comfort and looks because they don't hold a crease. These are still in the back of the closet but will likely soon be donated to charity.

No the wool blend pants don't itch but to each his own. I find them quite comfortable.

I do wish MW offered flat fronts in addition to pleated fronts for a cleaner, more modern look.
stan1

Postby renter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:41 am

I also own the Joseph & Feish International 45%/55% blend slacks and I concur that these are very, very durable pants and I'm happy with them.

stan1 wrote:Well since I initiated this thread almost 2 years ago, I'll give an update since its been brought back to life.

I bought some more of the Men's Wearhouse washable blend slacks (on sale with my Perfect Fit discount plus a $50 rebate checks from when I purchased a suit). In fact I still have the old ones which are presentable (its hard to tell them apart). These are very durable pants -- I'm guessing some of them have been washed over 100 times now.

I also bought some similarly priced washable wool blend dress pants at Macy's which are much inferior in comfort and looks because they don't hold a crease. These are still in the back of the closet but will likely soon be donated to charity.

No the wool blend pants don't itch but to each his own. I find them quite comfortable.

I do wish MW offered flat fronts in addition to pleated fronts for a cleaner, more modern look.
renter

Postby arthurb999 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:54 am

The do offer a flat front... I'm wearing a pair right now.
arthurb999

Postby fishndoc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:19 am

Someone already mentioned Sierra Trading Post; once you get the size worked out, you can pick up really high-quality clothes there at a great prices.
My favorite brand there is Scott Barber who makes some very good, long lasting men's clothes, and by watching for discount coupons in email, I can often pick up a pair of pants or a shirt for ~$30.
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle
fishndoc

Postby likegarden » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:46 am

Dry-cleaning wool pants? I did away with that a long time ago, was too time consuming. I clean my wool pants in my home cloth dryer using DRYEL, can buy it in a grocery store. After wearing pants or suits for a few days I place them in the DRYEL bag with a DRYEL sheet, tumbel them in the dryer, they call it steaming, then hang them up.
likegarden

Postby animal » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 pm

I've used the Stafford Washable Wardrobe - Pants & Jacket from J.C. Penney.

They come with a special bag keep the suit from being damaged in the wash, throw in the washer, comes out nice and clean, sometimes an iron may need to be used, if I let them sit overnight. :oops:
animal

Postby bogglehead » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:28 pm

XtremeSki2001 wrote:The fabric also shows dust from when my shoes hit the fabic (e.g. crossing my legs) - my higher quality pants don't do this ... maybe it's the blend. The Kohl's fabric also wrinkles easily even though they're non-wrinkle.

I'm glad you mentioned this b/c I thought it was just me. While I can get 3-4 wears out of my BB pants, my Kohl's ones always look dirty -- especially the light colored ones. I end up having to carry my keys in my jacket instead of my pocket b/c they somehow leaves dirt marks on the pants.
bogglehead

Postby Winthorpe » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Tall Grass wrote:
stan1 wrote:

stan01

+1

I suppose I'm not high fashion, but why would anybody want pants that aren't machine washable?
Winthorpe

Postby edge » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:31 pm

Winthorpe wrote:
Tall Grass wrote:
stan1 wrote:

stan01

+1

I suppose I'm not high fashion, but why would anybody want pants that aren't machine washable?

Um, its more like the 'dress' slacks that are washable are pretty much universally inferior - especially in comfort and fit quality. People want pants that don't suck.
edge

Postby leonard » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:38 pm

edge wrote:
Winthorpe wrote:
Tall Grass wrote:
stan1 wrote:

stan01

+1

Um, its more like the 'dress' slacks that are washable are pretty much universally inferior - especially in comfort and fit quality. People want pants that don't suck.

What's superior about a product that consumes more of your time and resources for special cleaning? Some might consider it a reasonable trade off to have washable dress pants that may not look quite as good as dry clean, but don't require dropping off and picking up every week with a bill.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
leonard

Postby edge » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30 am

Welp, I think its one of those things where if you have worn cheap pants your whole life and are used to it then you shouldn't start to wear nice ones until you get promoted to where you look conspicuous. I really can't imagine spending 50-60 hours in scratchy 'sort of look like ill-fitting trousers but feel like paper pants' personally.

The bill is nothing and they do pickup/drop off these days btw.
edge

Postby daytona084 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:58 am

This thread shows an interesting dichotomy. Some people buy their "good" trousers at K-mart and others would not be caught dead in anything costing less than $75-100. Apparently, among certain peer groups, everyone is highly sensitive about what trousers they wear and judgmental about what their peers wear. My peer group are all 6-figure professional guys (and gals) and we couldn't care less. I'm happy not to have this on my list of worries.
daytona084

Postby stan1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:33 am

Personally, I think its best to dress a little bit nicer than your peers in whatever organization or industry you work in. Not too much so you are conspicuous or don't fit in -- just enough so that people say "hey, he/she has class." If one is a video game programmer "nicer" and "class" might be a cooler t-shirt and sandals. If one is a K St lobbyist, nicer might be a $3000 bespoke suit instead of a $1500 tailored rack suit. No business need for the video game programmer to wear the $3000 bespoke suit. It would be wasted.
stan1

Postby roddy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:04 pm

Hey Ron!!!

Those looking very nice. :)
[banned sig spammer]
roddy

stunned

Postby saadeh » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:06 pm

I am absolutely stunned by the number of people opposed to dry cleaning. The only conclusion I can come to is that you don't want to look good in superior clothing that requires better care, or you haven't heard there are plenty of dry cleaners who will pick up and drop off your clothes. Leave them with the doorman two days lets they are hanging on your front door. Much less hassel than washing yourself. I hope the guy who said what is dry cleaning was kiddingkidding
saadeh

Re: stunned

Postby JupiterJones » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:09 pm

saadeh wrote:I am absolutely stunned by the number of people opposed to dry cleaning. The only conclusion I can come to is that you don't want to look good in superior clothing that requires better care, or you haven't heard there are plenty of dry cleaners who will pick up and drop off your clothes.

That's all you could come up with? How about:

You want to "look good in superior clothing", but you simply don't see dry cleaning as a necessary prerequisite to that.

You don't think that dry cleaning is "better care".

You don't want the added expense of dry cleaning.

You'd prefer to minimize the environmental impact of dry cleaning.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other reasons people might have.

JJ
Stay on target...
JupiterJones

Postby saadeh » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:57 pm

That's all you could come up with? How about:

You want to "look good in superior clothing", but you simply don't see dry cleaning as a necessary prerequisite to that.

You don't think that dry cleaning is "better care".

You don't want the added expense of dry cleaning.

You'd prefer to minimize the environmental impact of dry cleaning.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are other reasons people might have.

Better clothes, **normally require gentler care, dry cleaning is gentler, there are green dry cleaners, and it isn't that expensive.
saadeh

Postby interplanetjanet » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:08 pm

I don't know much about buying men's slacks, but I do know a few things about babying wool. I hunt for bargains at estate sales and in thrifts, and consider "dry clean only" a loose recommendation at best.

Wool will felt if it's handled too much when wet. I wash my own "dry clean only" wool slacks on a very delicate cycle in cold water using Orvus or a similar shampoo, and rinse them with a dilute mix of vinegar. Hang dry. If your wool ends up a little scratchy, a tiny bit of hair conditioner added to the water makes it much softer, but too much will make it attract lint. I think I got this approach from an old issue of Mother Earth News.

I don't know that I'd try this with a pair of $300 slacks or a highly constructed suit jacket, but if you want to clean wool and are careful about it it can work well. I use it for wool rugs as well.

Disclaimer, don't blame me if something goes horribly wrong, etc. :)

-Janet
interplanetjanet

Return to Personal Consumer Issues