TaxCut for ONE dollar !

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

TaxCut for ONE dollar !

Postby Big Al » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:47 pm

At over 3400 stores throughout the United States, Dollar Tree Stores has TaxCut Standard 2008 for only $1.00. ':D'
See link below for more info. (Thanks cjackson0 )

It will allow you to use Schedule D (for all you TLH fans). ':D'

Good luck,
........Al
Last edited by Big Al on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al

Postby jeff mc » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:58 pm

cool... but for what reporting year? :)
jeff mc

Postby cjackson0 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:32 pm

I have not tried it but this seems to be reported other places on the net.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10145343-58.html
cjackson0

Postby tfb » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:57 pm

Good deal for doing federal return and then fill out state form by hand. You can do the same with TaxACT standard.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
tfb

Postby joe8d » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Good deal for doing federal return and then fill out state form by hand. You can do the same with TaxACT standard.

Yes.
All the Best, | Joe
joe8d

Postby marnold1974 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:08 am

tfb wrote:Good deal for doing federal return and then fill out state form by hand. You can do the same with TaxACT standard.

I did the same with TurboTax today.
marnold1974

Postby modal » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:57 am

Is this equivalent to TaxACT Deluxe?
modal

Postby chaz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 am

But TurboTax has a free version.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby bc3x » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:09 pm

TaxAct Standard Desktop download with federal e-file is free.

TaxAct Deluxe is the fancy version; download with federal e-file is $12.95.

More details about TaxAct: TaxAct Desktop 2008, Good Value @ $21.90.

TurboTax Free is an online version for the simplest returns only. Forget about Schedule C or anything more complicated.
Last edited by bc3x on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gratitude and Rudyard Kipling's "If"
bc3x

Postby snray02 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Yep. I just bought a copy for $1. The lady at the checkout counter said this item has been "flying out the store". So, if you are interested, you might want to get to a Dollar Tree soon.
Sam
snray02

Postby bc3x » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:09 pm

If TaxCut Standard is the same as Free Federal Online + e-file, then it won't support a Schedule C, Disclaimer.

If it's equivalent to Basic + e-file; it has the same restrictions, Disclaimer under FAQ'S.

snray02 should be able to tell us.
bc3x

Postby tfb » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:18 pm

bc3x wrote:If it's equivalent to Basic + e-file; it has the same restrictions, Disclaimer under FAQ'S.

The FAQ doesn't say it won't do a Schedule C. It only doesn't have the extra help and guidance.
But, if you're looking for extra tax help and guidance with a Schedule C, home mortgage, rental property, home office, business expenses or asset depreciation, TaxCut Premium + E-file would be best for you.
tfb

Postby bc3x » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:40 pm

tfb,

Both the Free and the Basic have almost identical wording in their respective FAQ's #1.

There is also this definition of a simple return: "*A simple return excludes self-employment income (Schedule C), rental and royalty income (Schedule E), farm income (Schedule F) and shareholder/partnership income or loss (Schedule K-1)" from the website.

Since I don't have the CD-ROM and it doesn't sound like you do either, the question can be easily resolved by someone who does.
bc3x

Postby tfb » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:19 am

bc3x wrote:Since I don't have the CD-ROM and it doesn't sound like you do either, the question can be easily resolved by someone who does.

I bought one from Dollar Tree yesterday and installed it. It has inputs for Schedule C and rental income.
tfb

Postby bc3x » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:12 pm

tfb,

Mazel tov.
bc3x

Postby chaz » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:03 pm

bc3x wrote:tfb,

Mazel tov.

Everything should Endwell.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby snray02 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:27 pm

tfb is correct. This TaxCut version seems to handle all forms of income. There are some minor irritations, as with all tax programs. Schedule D is annoying in that it won't let you enter "various" for purchase dates of mutual funds you sold. The instructions say you should enter all transactions seperately. Well, if you have been reinvesting dividends monthly for several years, this would result in dozens of entries on Sch D. Absurd! So, I just picked a date consistent with short term/long term and make one entry.

Also, some of the "interview" forms are ridiculous. For instance, if you are a retiree drawing a pension, they ask for the taxpayer ID of the pension payor. This info is not required on the 1040 form so I just ignored such questions and the program didn't seem to mind.

In the end, the program came up with the exact same tax owed that I had computed by hand. So, for $1, not a bad deal.

Sam
snray02

Postby Sunny Sarkar » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:34 pm

I grabbed literally the last copy at our local Dollar Tree. The manager dug out one CD like a needle in a haystack but was unable to find another one I wanted for a buddy.

Thanks for the notice.

Question: Is this (TaxCut Standard) any better than the free federal tax filings available from different tax softwares online?
Sunny Sarkar

Postby Mel Lindauer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:40 am

I had my wife pick up a copy at the local Dollar Tree earlier today. I installed it this evening and did a "trial run" on my taxes with ease. Normally I have my accountant do my taxes, since I had an previous installment sale and a Schedule C. But I still wanted to see how much of my taxes this $1 program could do, and much to my surprise, found out that it could do my entire return, including my Schedule C.

What a bargain compared to paying an accountant's fee!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Postby tfb » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:49 am

Sunny wrote:Question: Is this (TaxCut Standard) any better than the free federal tax filings available from different tax softwares online?

(1) You don't have to give your tax data to any 3rd party web site.
(2) Some free filing options either limit by AGI or by the kind of forms supported.
tfb

Postby Big Al » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:55 pm

snray02 wrote: Schedule D is annoying in that it won't let you enter "various" for purchase dates of mutual funds you sold.

Not true. All you have to do is type in VAR-S for short term, OR VAR-L for long term.
Try it ----you'll like it !

Good luck
.......Al
Big Al

Postby bc3x » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:12 am

Sunny,

During a dry run with online TurboTax free, as I started to enter data for Schedule C, the program stopped, a message popped up noting that it was necessary to upgrade to Basic for $14.95 before continuing. Because I was just experimenting and had enough information about TurboTax already, there was no reason to upgrade.

A number of forum members have expressed concerns about possible identity theft with online returns, therefore it's probably safer to have a desktop edition of the software.

If you were unable to obtain an extra copy of TaxCut Standard for your friend, you can consider telling him about downloading TaxAct Standard with federal e-file which is free for everyone. I provided the link above. The split screen is a nice feature. While you answer the questions on top, the form is being generated simultaneously on the bottom. Very clever. TaxAct Standard is capable of doing a moderately complex return. It has the same set of forms as TurboTax Deluxe. TurboTax's website said that the paper copy of the return is printed after the e-file. I would prefer to see the hard copy prior to e-filing. The good folks at 2nd Story, the company that produces TaxAct, told me that the personal information created with the desktop version is not stored on their servers. During e-filing TaxAct acts only as a conduit to the IRS and your return is not retained on their servers either.

We should pay our fair share of taxes, but we don't have to pay for software to do so.
bc3x

Postby bc3x » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:15 pm

For folks in the Binghamton, New York area: There were 5 copies on the cashier counter at the Endwell Dollar Tree 3 hours ago.
bc3x

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)