Anyone Interested in a Boston Bogleheads Local Chapter?

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Silence Dogood

Anyone Interested in a Boston Bogleheads Local Chapter?

Post by Silence Dogood »

Hello fellow Bogleheads,

Would anyone living in the Greater Boston area be interested in starting a local chapter in Boston with me?

The Greater Boston area represents a very large metropolitan area and I’m guessing that there must be quite a few Bogleheads hiding out around here.

I have been in contact with Mel Lindauer and other local chapter coordinators. Based on what they have told me, I think that meeting once every other month on a Saturday or Sunday would be best. Of course, we can decide to meet at any other time if that works better for us. We could meet anywhere in Boston that is free and easily accessible (any ideas?).

If there is enough interest for such a chapter, I would be willing to be the coordinator.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Your Friend,
Silence Dogood
Last edited by Silence Dogood on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I'm sure there must be lots of Boston-area Bogleheads.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I'll be in Boston on March 29 for a indexing/ETF conferenceif someone wants to organize a meeting for that evening,

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
living2notWork

Post by living2notWork »

Very nice, I'm moving this weekend (03/11/11) to the Boston area and would love to attend when this gets up on its feet.
jb9

Post by jb9 »

I would be interested.
Chuck1

Post by Chuck1 »

I am finishing up grad school this summer and will be moving to Boston in the fall; I'd be interested starting around September.
dpbsmith

Post by dpbsmith »

Possibly. Much depends on time and location.
rob

Post by rob »

Depends on time/location but I would be in for a bit of chew the fat over a beer type of deal.....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Looks like you've got enough interested folks to get a chapter going.

All I need now is for Silence Dogwood to PM me with a contact name and e-mail address he/she wants to use (I suggest a "throwaway" yahoo or gmail address that you only use for this purpose, since it will be public via our Local Chapters Map).

Once I have that, I'll add your group to the Local Chapters map and you'll be in business. You can then set the date, time, location and agenda for your meetings, and you can use this Local Chapter sub-forum to discuss matters and keep in touch with each other.

Good luck, Boston!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
thedude

Post by thedude »

I'm in.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Add me to the list as well, please.
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

I'd be particularly interested in a Boston-area meeting if I knew that Nisiprius would attend.
Topic Author
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Hello Boston Bogleheads,

I’m glad to find that so many others are interested!

Now we just need to determine the time and location.

Time:

I was thinking that we could adopt the meeting schedule of the D.C. Area Chapter - to meet to every odd month, on the third Sunday, at 2PM. It will be convenient to have regular meetings so that everyone will know what the schedule is. What do you all think of this? Would this be convenient for you? Please let me know.

Does anyone have any ideas for where we could meet? I will search around and ask friends, but suggestions would be great.

By the way, the chapter e-mail address is: BostonBogleheads@gmail.com

I hope to hear from you all soon. Let’s make this happen!

Your Friend,
Silence Dogood
Rebecca_S

Post by Rebecca_S »

I am interested in attending and the Sunday afternoon meet time works fine. I would prefer someplace accessible by T.

For this Tuesday, there is a Legal Sea Foods across from the Aquarium as well as their test kitchen, both within an easy walk of the Seaport hotel/conference center.
director84

Post by director84 »

I noticed this thread is a little old, but if there are any plans for a Boston chapter, I am also interested.

Thanks,
David
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D SDogwood, You might PM "puregold"........She ran the first one @ a great location across from the SShore plaza @some hotel high up on a hill. It readily accommodated us for a sat/sun lunch meeting. Thats what it turned out to be was more of a meeting others from the BOS area. I do not recall its name as I was a couple months out of another spinal treatment and still in a bit of a fog.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
ShowMeThe...

Post by ShowMeThe... »

I may also be interested.... I'm down south (near RI) so north-of-boston would be a bit of a haul, but in town or west or south of Beantown would be excellent
Topic Author
Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood »

Hello Boston Bogleheads,

I am sorry for the late response. I have been pretty busy lately.

So if we go according to schedule, our first meeting will be on Sunday, May 15 at 2 PM.

Does anyone have any ideas for where we could meet? Preferably, the meeting place would be in the city (but anyone in the Greater Boston Area is welcome!). Let's try to make sure we figure out the location by this Sunday.

Also, I sent "puregold" a private message about two months ago, but she hasn't read the message. I'm assuming she no longer checks her account.

Your friend,
Silence Dogood
ShowMeThe...

Sunday sounds excellent

Post by ShowMeThe... »

Sounds good.

anyone in the local Boston/Cambridge area want to suggest a spot to meet?

I'm way down south (near RI) so, am not really familiar with what would work best in Beantown
WilliamRice

I am interested

Post by WilliamRice »

I live in Cambridge and would love to have a chapter here in Boston!
jatintuteja

Re: Anyone Interested in a Boston Bogleheads Local Chapter?

Post by jatintuteja »

Hey there, I'm very interested and just joined the forum, I live in Central MA and willing to travel for meetings, please let me know how to get aligned and join the Boston area local chapter, Merry X'Mas folks