minnesota mtg - feb-5 (with agenda & pictures)

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
jeff mc

minnesota mtg - feb-5 (with agenda & pictures)

Post by jeff mc »

PM or email me for details or to be added to this minnesota email list... mnbogleheads@gmail.com
[if you wish to unsubscribe or to change email, please reply back]

hello, folks

we'll be meeting on saturday february-5, 11:00-1:00 at bloomington ...

this is the same building that we've met at several times, but they have changed their name and menu.

because we had a keynote speaker last time (tax guy matt), let's plan on doing just breakout sessions for this meeting. final agenda will be sent out shortly. but it will probably be ~5-10 minute intro stuff, and then 4 breakout table sessions of about 25 minutes each (4 or 5 tables, depending on how many folks RSVP).

we'll order lunch off the menu, separate bills.

please 1) rsvp, and 2) send topics that you would like to discuss. i'll compile them, combine them with previous popular topics, assign a table moderator to each topic, and send out as we get closer to feb-5..

thanks, and see you soon!
jeff mc
Last edited by jeff mc on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

see attached agenda... consider this 'quasi-final'... but some of the table mods may change. topics should stay unchanged.

saturday!

Last edited by jeff mc on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

first, boglehead-jack was like, "where is everybody?", and then he was like, "dang, gimme some elbow room!"

good turnout today, 40 MN bogleheads.

paul S will be doing more co-organizing (whatever that means, but i thank him in advance for it)

2 members from the CRANDIC chapter in iowa made an impressive appearance. welcome back arleigh (and welcome, jerry) ...don't be strangers

sleepless phil, looking tired and jumpy at loud noises (ok, not really), begged for more ideas and help on his attic noises. (the wild animal trap that went missing in the attic is a very interesting new chapter, i think)

we're looking into posting MN boglehead bios, collecting past pictures and past meeting minutes, and possibly linking to or including barb's comic strip http://richerfasterpoorer.com/ in a new MN website or blog. stay tuned. any ideas or expertise on how to do that? please contact me.

thanks to the table moderators, once again.

next meeting sat, may-7, location TBD.

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Great turnout, Jeff. Thanks for sharing the agenda and photos.

What a great agenda. Looks like the breakout session in the back left of the third photo was oversubscribed, because folks are standing. It must have been really good!
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

thanks.

i guess i was too busy taking pictures when i should have been breaking that topic into 2 tables! well, there's always next time.

bond topics were hot this meeting.

i wonder if the dow was at 8,000 instead of 12,000, how many folks would have attended. knowing the bogleheads.. probably 40.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Not only was it an outstanding meeting, it should be noted that, at the end, Jeff received two rounds of applause, the first for being largely responsible for that meeting (and recruiting first-rate help), the second for being one of the forum moderators who are largely responsible for running one of the best forums on the Internet. Can a standing ovation be far away?

Thanks Jeff!

B.J.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Fallible wrote:Not only was it an outstanding meeting, it should be noted that, at the end, Jeff received two rounds of applause, the first for being largely responsible for that meeting (and recruiting first-rate help), the second for being one of the forum moderators who are largely responsible for running one of the best forums on the Internet. Can a standing ovation be far away?

Thanks Jeff!

B.J.
Actually, B.J., Jeff is a notch above us lowly Moderators; he's both a Moderator AND an Administrator. And, I might add, he's very good at both jobs. He's definitely a major asset to this forum and it's a real pleasure working with him.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Fallible wrote:Not only was it an outstanding meeting, it should be noted that, at the end, Jeff received two rounds of applause, the first for being largely responsible for that meeting (and recruiting first-rate help), the second for being one of the forum moderators who are largely responsible for running one of the best forums on the Internet. Can a standing ovation be far away?

Thanks Jeff!

B.J.
Actually, B.J., Jeff is a notch above us lowly Moderators; he's both a Moderator AND an Administrator. And, I might add, he's very good at both jobs. He's definitely a major asset to this forum and it's a real pleasure working with him.
Thanks for the note! I'd forgotten he's also an Administrator. The forum is indeed fortunate to have his skills and we MN Bogleheads are especially lucky he's from here.