Pen Fed Issuing New Credit Card Numbers

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
HueyLD

Pen Fed Issuing New Credit Card Numbers

Post by HueyLD »

Does anyone know why PenFed had to issue new card numbers for existing credit card holders? I did a google search but could not find any recent info to explain their drastic action.

Was their system compromised?

I called and they told me to wait for the official letter.
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

Noticed the same thing. And I too was not thrilled with their response on phone. They were not willing to say whether the CC numbers were compromised.
theduke

Post by theduke »

I haven't received new cards. When did you receive your's?
livefreebrewfree

Post by livefreebrewfree »

That's odd. Citibank did the same thing.
yobria

Post by yobria »

As did my (formerly) Schwab FIA card, with no explanation. Major PITA.

Nick
Topic Author
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

theduke wrote:I haven't received new cards. When did you receive your's?
I have not received any thing in the mail. The only notice was a brief summary when I logged in this morning. Since nobody wanted to say anything at this time, I can only speculate that there might be a systemic security breach somewhere.
beoba

Post by beoba »

Penfed email wrote:We are writing to inform you that a new credit card is being mailed to you as a precautionary measure against any potential fraud exposure. A separate letter with additional information will be mailed to you, which you will receive shortly.

When you receive your new card, please activate it as soon as you receive it, but not later than January 31, 2011. After activation or January 31st, whichever occurs first, you will no longer be able to use your old credit card. Charges that are made to the old card prior to activation of the new card will be transferred to the new card automatically.
I wonder what sort of threat would prompt them to send out a new card, yet leave the old one active for over a month.
beoba | Tracking TR2050 | eqoaq | Overall ER 0.13%
runner26

Post by runner26 »

beoba wrote:I wonder what sort of threat would prompt them to send out a new card, yet leave the old one active for over a month.
This was for a convince of the customer, especially around the holidays. My Citibank card was reissued, and they suggested activation of the new card as soon a possible, with immediate cancellation of the old card upon the new activation. Online activity against the old card was terminated before I received any notification, except for viewing charges. That is how I knew something was up.

I called and they refused to provide any details as to how the card numbers were compromised.

BTW, Citibanks was several weeks ago.
bogglehead

Post by bogglehead »

Yep, got an email and then I see that I have "two" accounts online. Most have been systemic.
Taylor Larimore

New PenFed credit card ?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Huey:

We have an active PenFed credit card. No e-mail yet.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Taylor,

After you log into your Pen Fed account, you should see this message in red: Important Message: You may notice that you have been issued a new credit card account below. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For additional information, click here.

After you click on "click here," a message follows: A new credit card is being provided to you as a precautionary measure against any potential fraud exposure. A separate letter with additional information will be mailed to you, which you will receive shortly.

Please activate your new card as soon as you receive it, but not later than January 31, 2011. After activation or January 31st, whichever occurs first, you will no longer be able to use your old credit card.

Charges that are made to the old card prior to activation of the new card will be transferred to the new card automatically. Remember, should you have any automatic payments charged to your old credit card you need to notify those companies of your new card number and expiration date.

As always, PenFed assumes all responsibility for all unauthorized charges to your account.

Should you have any questions, please call PenFed at 1.800.247.5626 or click here to send a secure message.

Thank you for your continued trust and confidence in PenFed's service."

I will have to monitor my CC activities closely for a while. I have come to accept security imperfection as a price to pay for all the convenience we enjoy in life. Sigh......
moneywise3

Re: New PenFed credit card ?

Post by moneywise3 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:We have an active PenFed credit card. No e-mail yet.
Did you check online? My profile is showing both cards.
Taylor Larimore

Re: New PenFed credit card ?

moneywise3 wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:We have an active PenFed credit card. No e-mail yet.
Did you check online? My profile is showing both cards.
My wife, Pat, handles our credit card (and most of our spending :wink: ).
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I've got a PenFed card, and there is no message when I log on, nor have I received any letter or e-mail about replacement.
Taylor Larimore

Glenn wrote:I've got a PenFed card, and there is no message when I log on, nor have I received any letter or e-mail about replacement.
That's probably because you pay your bills on time. :wink:
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

I have an active Penfed credit card and got the same email.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
venard5

Post by venard5 »

I just logged on to my Pen Fed account. No message, warning, etc.

I also just checked my e-mail, and didn't have anything from Pen Fed.

Bill
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

I use the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa card all of the time. I have not received an email, or letter, or new cards. This is the first time I have heard of card replacements.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
TigerNest

Post by TigerNest »

No message/new card number for me either.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

TigerNest wrote:No message/new card number for me either.
It is possible that it is just customers of whatever business was compromised, not everyone who has a card with the supplier. Since the CC companies won't provide specifics, it is impossible to know. I don't understand the secrecy. In the past, we have learned what business was hacked. Conspiracy theories will follow. :wink:
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

Got an email. Will be getting new cards.
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
tj

Post by tj »

I just logged in, looks like Amex was effected but not Visa.

Have not received any emails
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

my mom has the message but i do not. seems not everyone was affected.
Stevewc

Post by Stevewc »

I would think and say, not a big deal.
Every card I've ever had did a reissue at one time or another.
Steve
Ladies and Gentiles | Monkeys and Reptiles | I come before ya, to stand behind ya, tell you something I know nothing about !!!
woof755

Post by woof755 »

My Fidelity Visa was compromised a few months ago. Fido said the vender called and reported the breach, but wouldn't say what kind or what vendor.

PITA, for sure.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Am Exp has re-issued cards for me in the past with a note that the card had problems. what those issues were is not my concern. I know Am Exp is good at customer service and I prefer this preventative measure. it is a lot easier then receiving a statement with unexplained charges that I first have to start challenging

and supposed you knew exactly what the security breach was; if the incident was systemic there is nothing you can do about it. one of the few things I might trust about MasterCard, Visa & Am Exp (and PenFed) is that it is in their best interest to protect the integrity of their credit process.

Happy Holidays
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
beyou

Post by beyou »

livefreebrewfree wrote:That's odd. Citibank did the same thing.
First I have heard of "recalls" on credit cards :D

I did get Citibank and Chase notices telling me about wonderful new cards with a fancier color of plastic but same/worse features as far as I was concerned.

I called each and said "keep my card as-is or cancel the acct".

PIA getting a new acct :

1) Already gave out to various websites (you know, paypal etc).

2) Supposedly new accts are bad for your credit rating.
They look for longevity of existing accts and penalize you for new accts.

In both cases, the bank let me keep the old card as-is.
“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.” ― Yogi Berra
Cloud

Post by Cloud »

I too got the message we'd be getting a new PenFed card. That's the card we used to reserve a lot of hotels and stuff in Greece for our coming vacation this spring. What a PITA...
OAG

Post by OAG »

I wonder if the new cards are the "feared" RFID containing cards?
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
OAG

Post by OAG »

RFID in credit cards information: http://www.idstronghold.com/
beoba

Post by beoba »

OAG wrote:RFID in credit cards information: http://www.idstronghold.com/
A far cheaper and more foolproof solution to RFID-ed cards is to find the chip on the card and drill through it. It'll be visible as a slight bulge, maybe 3-5mm square. I've done this to a couple of my cards and they've continued to work fine ever since.

However, I doubt Penfed would go to all this trouble just to add this insecure 'feature' to their cards. I think if anything they'd instead gradually roll it out as the cards expired normally.

beoba | Tracking TR2050 | eqoaq | Overall ER 0.13%
OAG

Post by OAG »

My PFCU VISA Card expires on the last day of Jan 2011 - so I will be looking for the "bulge".
re@51.5

Post by re@51.5 »

:thumbsdown Yup, a PITA! :thumbsdown

Mike
As Merton Miller, a Nobel laureate at the University of Chicago, puts it, "I'll never understand why they call bonds 'fixed' income."
livelife

Post by livelife »

beoba wrote:
Penfed email wrote:We are writing to inform you that a new credit card is being mailed to you as a precautionary measure against any potential fraud exposure. A separate letter with additional information will be mailed to you, which you will receive shortly.

When you receive your new card, please activate it as soon as you receive it, but not later than January 31, 2011. After activation or January 31st, whichever occurs first, you will no longer be able to use your old credit card. Charges that are made to the old card prior to activation of the new card will be transferred to the new card automatically.
I wonder what sort of threat would prompt them to send out a new card, yet leave the old one active for over a month.
We received the same email and our card was canceled today. Fortunately, my wife and I completed our Xmas shopping two days ago.
Taylor Larimore

PenFed cards

Hi Livelife:
We received the same email and our card was canceled today. Fortunately, my wife and I completed our Xmas shopping two days ago.
Strange. Unless you activated your new card, you old card should not have been cancelled according to PenFed:
When you receive your new card, please activate it as soon as you receive it, but not later than January 31, 2011. After activation or January 31st, whichever occurs first, you will no longer be able to use your old credit card.
Your old card may still be usable.

Happy Holiday!
BigD53

Post by BigD53 »

Back in October, a fraudulent charge showed up on my PenFed Visa card. Someone used my number to send/transfer $200 at a Western Union place.

3 months later, I am just getting action from the PenFed fraud department. They sent me forms to fill out and mail back. The December statement finally shows a credit for the $200.

I also got the PenFed email yesterday, advising that I will receive a new Visa card soon. I thought it was related to my recent fraud report... but apparently, EVERYONE is getting a new card? That's not good. They must have had a major hacking.
Last edited by BigD53 on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

When Schwab changed its credit card numbers, it preceded some major changes, which were unannounced at the time.
northend

Post by northend »

I just went through this a couple of months ago for a different credit card.

No email yet from PenFed.
NewtoBogle

Post by NewtoBogle »

I got email a few days ago. Very annoying as most of my auto pays go there
OAG

Post by OAG »

OAG wrote:My PFCU VISA Card expires on the last day of Jan 2011 - so I will be looking for the "bulge".
Just a follow up. I sent an email to PFCU asking when I could expect a renewal of my expiring card and expressly asking if the number would change. Response was to the effect that they will mail me the new card on 10 January AND YES the number will change. They did not offer any reasoning regarding the number change.
devilgator

Post by devilgator »

1. If you have automated your credit card payment, check to make sure that your payment has been made. I had "pay statement amount in full" scheduled for 1/3/2011 on my card. Checked my bank account and didn't see the debit for the payment. Called penfed and balance was transferred to new card (still waiting to receive new card) but automatic payment feature was not transferred. New card account showed same due date as old one. Had to pay online today, was assured by rep that no adverse impact to me as it was their fault (and apparently there is a 5 day grace period to pay post due date in any event).

2. Penfed invited me to participate in an online survey about one month ago; gist of survey was reaction to various alternatives to their existing reward program (I have the visa). Questions included reaction to different reward %s across categories and also how reward was to be paid (such as some sort of thank you points equivalent). My recollection is that all alternatives were inferior to the current offering. I assume that the new card numbers are not related to upcoming potential changes in reward program.
Topic Author
HueyLD

Re: Pen Fed Issuing New Credit Card Numbers

Post by HueyLD »

HueyLD wrote:Does anyone know why PenFed had to issue new card numbers for existing credit card holders? I did a google search but could not find any recent info to explain their drastic action.

******UPDATE********

The long awaited letter has finally arrived.

Pen Fed’s computer system was accessed without authorization around mid December 2010. The file so breached included name, address, SSN and credit/debit card number. That’s why they had to reissue all credit and debit cards on that file.

The letter stated that they had no indication that members’ information had actually been misused. However, it was not very reassuring. As a result, Ped Fed is offering two years of access to ID theft protection at no cost to members.

I wonder if anybody has been through similar experience with another credit card issuer. Should I sign up for the ID theft protection service?
NewtoBogle

Post by NewtoBogle »

doesn't hurt to sign up, right?
DaleMaley

Re: Pen Fed Issuing New Credit Card Numbers

Post by DaleMaley »

HueyLD wrote:
HueyLD wrote:Does anyone know why PenFed had to issue new card numbers for existing credit card holders? I did a google search but could not find any recent info to explain their drastic action.

******UPDATE********

The long awaited letter has finally arrived.

Pen Fed’s computer system was accessed without authorization around mid December 2010. The file so breached included name, address, SSN and credit/debit card number. That’s why they had to reissue all credit and debit cards on that file.

The letter stated that they had no indication that members’ information had actually been misused. However, it was not very reassuring. As a result, Ped Fed is offering two years of access to ID theft protection at no cost to members.

I wonder if anybody has been through similar experience with another credit card issuer. Should I sign up for the ID theft protection service?
At my company, a Fortune 50 company, a laptop was lost with employee's data. I took them up on free 12 months of credit monitoring.

Then about the time the 12 months of free monitoring ran out, one of our companies suppliers had an issue.......so I signed up for another 12 free months...which I am still under. So far, no problems.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
jlq39

Post by jlq39 »

I to noticed the new card from logging into my online account. I received the letter yesterday, and I have to say that having my credit card number potentially stolen did not bother me as much as them saying my SSN may have been compromised as well. I could care less if they reissue me a new card, but having my SSN stolen is not something I'm comfortable with. I guess I will have to take advantage of the 2 years free credit monitoring they are offering, but I have to say I'm a little upset with PenFed.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Well after all of this (email back and forth with CSR at PFCU) where I was told I would be getting a new number on a routine replacement (old card due to expire in January 2011). The new card arrived yesterday. No changes in number except the "security code" on the reverse. Registration of the new card was also routine (all automated). Also no letter and no indication of any compromised personal information. So I guess the "problems" were isolated to only some cards (members) but not all cards (members).

BTW IMHO the way SSAN are thrown around these days they should use them for license plates (utilities, banks, credit unions, state tax agencies, virtually every application for credit, etc.,). :D
Topic Author
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I found additional info from googling. And I think that Ped Fed probably has done a lot more for its members than some other financial institutions. Here is the link describing malware infection http://www.databreaches.net/?p=16184 .
While some might sneer at the fact that a laptop got infected with malware, I’m somewhat impressed with how quickly PenFed secured the system, identified how the access and acquisition of data occurred, prevented a recurrence, and arranged to set out notifications – all within a 3-week period that included the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.
Here is the link to Ped Fed's letter to New Hampshire's AG's office http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/pdf/pentagon.pdf .
honghong322

Post by honghong322 »

Same with me. I haven't received my new card yet. I am just using my current one and will be awaiting my new card.
theduke

Post by theduke »

I assume my card and info wasn't compromised, since I haven't received any notices or anything from Penfed.
scotty2115

Data Breach at PenFed

Post by scotty2115 »

Hay, Bogleheads! There was a data security breach at PenFed in Mid December 2010. The letter states that "We have no indication that your information has been misused". As a result of our preventive monitoring of our computer systems, we learned that some of our valued members' sensitive information was accessed and/or obtained from our computer system without authorization. This information may have included your name, address, social security number, credit card number and/or debit card number. No personal identification numbers (pin) or passwords were accessed and/or obtained. PenFed has reissued all credit and debit cards relating to those members whose account information may have been improperly obtained.

PenFed is offering 2 years of free ID TheftSmart from a company called Kroll Inc. It includes the following.

* Current Credit Report. Kroll offers you access to an up-to-date credit report from all three credit repositories. If you suspect fraudulent activity, call the Kroll team at 1-877-451-9362.

* Continuous Credit Monitoring

* Enhanced Identity Theft Consultation and Restoration