Units vs. Shares - How can I track them?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

Units vs. Shares - How can I track them?

Postby Smurf » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:03 pm

My 401k is administered by a division of a life insurance company (AEGON) called "Diversified Investment Advisors." For my 401k their funds are all listed in "units" as opposed to shares so it makes it a little confusing to track the data. For example, they don't have any ticker symbols since they are units so for asset allocation I simply use the "share" version of these funds to get their holding breakdown:

Diversified Stock Index - DSKIX
Diversified Mid Cap Value - DVMVX
Diversified Core Bond - DVGCX

My question is basically how can I track these funds using software? Will a standard software such as MS Money or Quicken do the job?

Thanks.
Smurf

Postby rwwoods » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:51 pm

Each of these funds can be quoted like any other fund. But if your plan was like my wife's, your unit price may differ from the share price due to reinvestment of dividends. If that is true, you can still use tracking sofware such as Quicken, but you will have to manual add in the unit price. You may be able to find the daily unit price at the investment company's web site.
rwwoods

Postby MERobison » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:40 pm

Quoted from my 401k plan website:
How is the unit price calculated?
* The number of "units" in your account determines your ownership in the fund. The number of units in your account can increase or decrease, depending on the account activity. For example, contributions to the fund increase the number of units, and payments from the fund decrease the number.
* Determine the market value of your investment in the fund by multiplying the number of units in your account by the net asset value (NAV): Units x NAV = Market Value of Your Investment in the Fund
* A NAV is calculated each business day the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) is open. The NAV includes gains and losses in the underlying assets of the fund and also can include factors such as plan expenses or interest accruals. The NAV is determined using the NYSE closing price.

What’s the company stock fund?
The company stock fund is valued using unit accounting. When you invest in the company stock fund, you don't directly own shares of company stock. Instead, you own a portion of the company stock fund, which is made up of company common stock and a small amount of cash that provides liquidity for transactions.

I use MS Money to track all my investments. For my 401k, I manually update the price each paycheck when I add more money into it. I would love it if it had a ticker symbol that updated automatically, but that ain't going to happen according to the plan.
MERobison

Return to Investing - Help with Personal Investments