AUSTIN Chapter Meeting - Saturday October 30 (Was:Oct 23)

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
bryanv

AUSTIN Chapter Meeting - Saturday October 30 (Was:Oct 23)

Post by bryanv »

UPDATE: Due to the several people that had conflicts, I've rescheduled the meeting to be one week later, now Saturday, Oct 30, same time and place (1-3PM, Trianon Coffee). I apologize for the very late reschedule notice.

The next meeting of the Austin Bogleheads is scheduled for Saturday October 30 at Trianon Coffee, 3201 Bee Cave Rd (same place as last time), starting at 1PM. I have their conference room reserved until 3PM.

Please let me know if you think you'll be able to make it.
Last edited by bryanv on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
marbles

Post by marbles »

Brian, thanks for arranging the meeting. That is the day of a Texas home game. We will not be able to attend.
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

Bryan,

Unfortunately, I've got a prior commitment on the 23rd. Keep us posted if you change the date. Thanks.

-Grandpa (Chester)
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.
marbles

Post by marbles »

Is anyone going, or can this be rescheduled?
azimuthbound

Post by azimuthbound »

I'll attend. I went to the Austin Java one and learned quite a bit.
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

Does anyone have information on activity/meetings in the Houston chapter?
AustinJohn

Post by AustinJohn »

Thanks for arranging this, Bryan. Therese and I will try to attend.
ol_pops

Are we still on ?

Post by ol_pops »

Count me in. Are we still on?
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

Looks like my prior commitment fell through. I may be able to attend after all. Thanks again, Bryan.

-Grandpa (Chester)
AustinJohn

Post by AustinJohn »

Bryan - Therese and I are just back from Bogleheads9 where we told Rick Ferri of the Chapter meeting on the 23rd. He has another commitment that date and cannot attend but said if it were moved by any chance to the next weekend (not a request on his or my parts, just a comment) he could and would come. John
azimuthbound

Post by azimuthbound »

I'm afraid I had an obligation come up and won't be able to attend so scratch one off the attendance list.
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I live only 2 hours away from Austin. Unfortunately, Oct 23 is not a good day because I have to travel to Arkansas that weekend for business. Please let me know when the next meeting is scheduled.

Rick Ferri
Topic Author
bryanv

Post by bryanv »

I've been a busy with life and haven't been checking Diehards as much as I used to (and I forgot to turn on notifications when I created this thread). Around 4 people RSVP'ed via email, which is less than half of previous turn out.

I'll see about getting this rescheduled first thing in the morning. My apologies for not being more on top of this and the late reschedule notice.
Topic Author
bryanv

Post by bryanv »

Meeting reschedule - the first post has been updated.
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

Thanks, Bryan. I plan to be there. Will you invite Rick?

-Grandpa (Chester)
Topic Author
bryanv

Post by bryanv »

gotherelate wrote:Thanks, Bryan. I plan to be there. Will you invite Rick?

-Grandpa (Chester)
Yes, and he plan's to there.
AustinJohn

Post by AustinJohn »

Therese and I will be there.
burnsh

Post by burnsh »

I am planning to attend.
Burnsh | ______________________________________ | VFIAX 17%, VVIAX 17%, VEXAX 16%, VTIAX 21%, VGSIX 9%, VIPSX 10%, VBMFX 10%
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

I will be there also.

Rick Ferri
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Rick Ferri wrote:I will be there also.

Rick Ferri
Hurrah! Now I will REALLY try to make it :D
CarlZ993

Austin Meeting

Post by CarlZ993 »

I'll be there.
Carl Z
aranod

Post by aranod »

Long time visitor of the forum.... First time posting...
I am planning to be there.
jasonv

Post by jasonv »

I also plan on being there.
brisni

Post by brisni »

I will try to come also, but may be a little late due to my daughter's volleyball game.

Brian S.
burnsh

Post by burnsh »

Had fun today at the meeting.

Thanks Brian for putting it toghether, and thanks Rick for an awesome presentation.

HMB
Burnsh | ______________________________________ | VFIAX 17%, VVIAX 17%, VEXAX 16%, VTIAX 21%, VGSIX 9%, VIPSX 10%, VBMFX 10%
CarlZ993

Austin Meeting

Post by CarlZ993 »

I too enjoyed the meeting. Having Rick give a presentation was really great. Kudos, Bryan, for setting up the meeting. For the next meeting, we expect Jack himself to show up. :)
Carl Z
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

As expected, the meeting was standing room only. Thanks again, Bryan, for setting these up. And thank you, Rick, for the great "lecture" (I especially enjoyed the historical vignettes). I'm looking forward to our next meeting.

-Grandpa (Chester)
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

gotherelate wrote:As expected, the meeting was standing room only. Thanks again, Bryan, for setting these up. And thank you, Rick, for the great "lecture" (I especially enjoyed the historical vignettes). I'm looking forward to our next meeting.

-Grandpa (Chester)
Thanks for inviting me, and I take it you mean "lecture" in a good way. :wink:

Rick Ferri
wjo

Post by wjo »

Great meeting and thanks Rick for taking the time to drive out and meet with us.

A personal reference for Rick -- he talked only about the content of his new book, took questions, and did no selling for his personal business. (All book proceeds go to charity.) He even stuck around and answered a bunch of technical questions from us investment nerds. Rick's a great guy and the real deal.
ol_pops

Durn !

Post by ol_pops »

I had to miss this one. Did anybody take notes to go with Rick's presentation?
Topic Author
bryanv

Post by bryanv »

Quick summary for those who couldn't make it: Much of the meeting was spent by Rick covering various topics from his upcoming book: The Power of Passive Investing. The book looks awesome - covering everything from the history of passive investing, to modern day theory. I just put my pre-order at Amazon (via the forum link of course :)) and can't wait to read it. If you have a chance to hear Rick speak, you shouldn't pass it up.

Huge thanks to Rick for making the drive to Austin.

If you attended and aren't already on my mailing list, PM me your email address and I'll add you - the only email ever sent on it is meeting notices.
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

Rick Ferri wrote:
gotherelate wrote:As expected, the meeting was standing room only. Thanks again, Bryan, for setting these up. And thank you, Rick, for the great "lecture" (I especially enjoyed the historical vignettes). I'm looking forward to our next meeting.

-Grandpa (Chester)
Thanks for inviting me, and I take it you mean "lecture" in a good way. :wink:

Rick Ferri
Absolutely a good way. And by the way, for those who don't already know, Rick donates all the royalties from his books to help injured military veterans. I plan to get my pre-order in for the new book today.

-Grandpa
mays

another austin meeting soon?!

Post by mays »

hello all.

i just joined the forum but interested in know abut more austin events like the above!

how many times has everyone been meeting? is this general discussion or presentation related?
AustinJohn

Re: another austin meeting soon?!

Post by AustinJohn »

mays wrote:hello all.

i just joined the forum but interested in know abut more austin events like the above!

how many times has everyone been meeting? is this general discussion or presentation related?
Welcome to the Forum.

I believe there have been been 3-4 meetings of the Austin Chapter on approximately a quarterly schedule. Brianv has been the organizer (Yeh Brian!) but he's pretty busy and doesn't always check-in so that's why I'm subbing.

The last meeting was both unusual and special as Rick Ferri came and made a presentation on his new book. The other meetings have generally been group discussions on whatever is on folks' minds.

Now that you've checked in Brian will probably include you in his notice but if you're subscribed to this topic you'll be notified of any happenings no matter what.

John
mays

Post by mays »

great thanks! Awesome rick was able to join on one of the last meetings. I'm in the Barton Hills area and it appears you all meet close by...would be excited to see what is going on with the Ausitn chapter!
Topic Author
bryanv

Re: another austin meeting soon?!

Post by bryanv »

AustinJohn wrote:
mays wrote:hello all.

Welcome to the Forum.

I believe there have been been 3-4 meetings of the Austin Chapter on approximately a quarterly schedule. Brianv has been the organizer (Yeh Brian!) but he's pretty busy and doesn't always check-in so that's why I'm subbing.

The last meeting was both unusual and special as Rick Ferri came and made a presentation on his new book. The other meetings have generally been group discussions on whatever is on folks' minds.

Now that you've checked in Brian will probably include you in his notice but if you're subscribed to this topic you'll be notified of any happenings no matter what.

John
AustinJohn: Thanks for covering for me :) $LIFE has been busy lately, and I'm not able to check into the forum as much as I'd like. I was originally hoping to have the next meeting at the end of February, but I'm have some surgery around that time so I'm going to push that to a couple of weeks later. I'll get an announcement out this week.

Mays: PM me your email address and I'll include you in my email list.