Archived master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
VictoriaF

January 2010 meeting

Post by VictoriaF »

Hello All,

I missed several meetings and wanted to catch up. Our next scheduled meeting is on 17 Jan 2010. Do we have a special topic or theme?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Rager1

Re: January 2010 meeting

Post by Rager1 »

VictoriaF wrote:Hello All,

I missed several meetings and wanted to catch up. Our next scheduled meeting is on 17 Jan 2010. Do we have a special topic or theme?

Victoria
Hi Victoria,

I, too, missed the November meeting and will also miss the January, 2010 for a trip to the West Coast. I'm not aware of any special topic or theme but I'm not sure if that was discussed at the November meeting.

I'm hoping that someone who attended the November meeting will respond.

Ed
alec

Post by alec »

How about "The Dark Side of TIPS" and "There's more than Diversification." :lol:
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

alec wrote:How about "The Dark Side of TIPS" and "There's more than Diversification." :lol:
Only if we also discuss "The Dark Side of Umbrellas" and "There's more than 20 inches of snow".

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Levett

Post by Levett »

Victoria,

You could always discuss "the snowy side of TIPS," or if the weather turns bitterly cold and you're feeling agitated how 'bout "Are TIPS a snow job?" :D Bob U.
There are some things that count that can't be counted, and some things that can be counted that don't count.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

bob u. wrote:Victoria,

You could always discuss "the snowy side of TIPS," or if the weather turns bitterly cold and you're feeling agitated how 'bout "Are TIPS a snow job?" :D Bob U.
Hi Bob,

Bob K (bobcat2) could give us some tips on using Excessive Snow Planner for estimating the life-cycle distribution of snow removal. And if it gets too cold we will resort to Monte Carlo.:)

Victoria
Levett

Post by Levett »

Hi Victoria,

Monte Carlo, indeed! :lol: Bob U.
There are some things that count that can't be counted, and some things that can be counted that don't count.
bobcat2

Next meeting is Sunday, January 17

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 2 PM, Sunday, January 17 in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

I would like to have at least part of the discussion focused on investment risk, which is always important and usually misunderstood. :lol:

On Sundays there is usually, but not always, ample free street parking within 3 blocks of the hotel. A couple of times I have parked five or 6 blocks from the hotel, but always for free. :D
There is guest parking in the hotel garage, but that option is fairly pricey.

If you are coming from the suburbs, you may want to take Metro; it's a short walk from any line.

Blue/Orange Lines to McPherson Square. Take the 14th Street exit and go left (north, Franklin Square on your right) on 14th three blocks to Thomas Circle.

Red Line to Farragut North. Take the L Street exit and go left (east, Farragut Square on your right) four blocks on L to Vermont Avenue, then left two blocks on Vermont to Thomas Circle.

Green/Yellow Line to Mt. Vernon Square/Convention Center. The exit is at 7th and M; go left (west, Convention Center on your left) six blocks on M Street to Thomas Circle.

Green Line from Greenbelt to U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo. Take the 13th Street exit, go left (west) on U to 13th, go left (south) five blocks on 13th to Logan Circle, then to the right almost half way around the circle to Vermont Avenue, then two blocks on Vermont to Thomas Circle.

Bob K
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
younginvestor86

Post by younginvestor86 »

I assume that the next meeting will be on Sunday, March 21st at 2 pm?
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

younginvestor86 wrote:I assume that the next meeting will be on Sunday, March 21st at 2 pm?
Yes, the next meeting is Sunday, March 21st at 2PM.

Ed
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Rager1 wrote:
younginvestor86 wrote:I assume that the next meeting will be on Sunday, March 21st at 2 pm?

Ed
Give my regards to your group, Ed.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Rager1 wrote:

Ed
I will do, Mel. But you have a standing invitation to join our group anytime you want. Besides, Taylor has visited us but we've not seen you yet. :lol:

Ed
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Rager1 wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
Rager1 wrote:

Ed
I will do, Mel. But you have a standing invitation to join our group anytime you want. Besides, Taylor has visited us but we've not seen you yet. :lol:

Ed
Perhaps sometime this summer or fall, Ed.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
rschreit

Meeting on May 16?

Post by rschreit »

Will there be a special topic at the meeting on May 16th? My wife Marion & I would like to attend. Thanks.

Dick Schreitmueller
alec

Post by alec »

Hi Dick,

I don't think there's anything special planned, but we could discuss:

1. The Ayres and Nalebuff book since there seems to be a lot of confusion about it.

2. One of our newest members is retiring soon, and applying the TIPS matching strategies we've been talking about for a while.

3. Thursday's oopsie in the stock markets.

4. Sovereign debt crises. A lot of us own TIPS, so govts possibly defaulting on debt is a little scary.

5. IIRC, you're an actuary, so people might be interested in your thoughts on SPIAs in retirement.

btw - I'm really, really going to try and make it this time [I promise :D ].
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
bobcat2

Next DC Diehards Meeting is Sunday May 16

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 2 PM, Sunday, May 16 in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

On Sundays there is usually, but not always, ample free street parking within 3 blocks of the hotel. A couple of times I have parked five or 6 blocks from the hotel, but always for free. :D

If you are coming from the suburbs, you may want to take Metro; it's a short walk from any line.

Blue/Orange Lines to McPherson Square. Take the 14th Street exit and go left (north, Franklin Square on your right) on 14th three blocks to Thomas Circle.

Red Line to Farragut North. Take the L Street exit and go left (east, Farragut Square on your right) four blocks on L to Vermont Avenue, then left two blocks on Vermont to Thomas Circle.

Green/Yellow Line to Mt. Vernon Square/Convention Center. The exit is at 7th and M; go left (west, Convention Center on your left) six blocks on M Street to Thomas Circle.

Green Line from Greenbelt to U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo. Take the 13th Street exit, go left (west) on U to 13th, go left (south) five blocks on 13th to Logan Circle, then to the right almost half way around the circle to Vermont Avenue, then two blocks on Vermont to Thomas Circle.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I check the local chapter forum for new meetings and put them on the wiki's main page. Just added this one.

You'll see the meetings listed on the left side under "Bogleheads Happenings".

Feel free to PM a wiki editor or post in Suggestions for the Librarians to get meetings posted on the main page.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bobcat2

Re: Next DC Diehards Meeting is Sunday May 16

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 2 PM, Sunday, July 18 in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

BobK
bobcat2

Re: Next DC Diehards Meeting is Sunday September 19

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 2 PM, Sunday, September 19 in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

BobK
bobcat2

Potential topics at next Sunday's meeting

Post by bobcat2 »

I imagine some people (including me) will want to talk about the new Income Solutions options for life annuities Vanguard has just begun offering for Vanguard clients. And since this will be David's last meeting, some of us will want to bombard him with tax questions. :lol:

We are of course open to other suggestions, so if you have any, feel free to post them in this thread.

BobK
Rager1

Speaker for the January 16, 2011 Meeting

Post by Rager1 »

We have a speaker for the January 16, 2011 meeting doing a presentation titled
"Debt around the World--Why it Matters to All of Us". Dr. Ariel BenYishay,
Associate Director for Economic Analysis and Evaluation at the Millennium
Challenge Corporation, a US Government agency, will be doing his presentation at
the first part of the meeting. Dr. BenYishay holds a PhD in Economics from the
University of Maryland and a BA in Politics, Philosphy and Economics from the
University of Pittsburgh Honors College.

Following his presentation and a question and answer period, we will discuss
other issues that the attendees want to bring up. We meet at the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW,
Washington, DC at 2PM, on Sunday, January 16, 2011.
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

On Sunday I would like to devote some of the time to discussing the new Defined Contribution Managed Retirement type plan for 401k and 403b retirement plan participants. I know at least two other DC Diehards who will not be at all surprised that I am bringing this up as a topic for discussion. :lol:

BobK
angler

looking for the guy who came in the last last Sunday

Post by angler »

I came in the 3rd on the last-came-in order (I'm living in Herndon, VA and left home at 12:30 though) and sit behind. I enjoyed the topic and learnt a lot from the discussion as well. I feel we are the like mind people at least from investment point of view. I had a little chat with the guy who came in last and he happened to sit by me, right behind the back of botcat2. I left in a hurry and forgot to ask for his contact info. I have some info about Merriman, Inc, the money management firm based in Seattle. That guy has been following the investment methods(mainly buy-and-hold, diversification, rebalancing, etc) a few years. Me too. If you are that guy or you know how to contact that guy, please send me a private message, or call my office at 703-709-2042. Thanks.

Disclaimer: I have no association with Merriman. I make a living as a coder, but consider myself as an investment junkie, bought Microsoft as my first stock right after Windows 95 was published.
bobcat2

Re: Next DC Diehards Meeting is Sunday March 20

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 2 PM, Sunday, March 20 in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

At this point there are no specific topics. If you have topic suggestions you can post them here, or at the DC Diehards page.

BobK
alec

Post by alec »

Topic Suggestion:

"Muni bond defaults - tinfoil hat or legitimate concern."
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I am in the process of moving to Arlington...and would love to hookup with any Bogleheads in the area.

I cannot make this Sunday's meeting, due to said move, but would appreciate being able to add myself to any email list that exists.

Please send private message if possible.

Thanks!
ChapMan

Post by ChapMan »

Ditto barefootgirl. I just moved into the area as well.
csoren

Post by csoren »

Hi ya'll!

Just got transferred back to the DC area after 10 years in Paris. Worked in the area for 20+ years before that (my company does contract work for the FAA & Eurocontrol). Didn't really want to move back, but the boss made me an offer I couldn't refuse; the DC office is growing and I really needed to beef up retirement savings for my last 10 years of work. Sooo, here I am. Be glad to attend any meetings, it'd be great to meet some other Bogleheads.

I came back with an absolutely blank credit history but was able to get a small car loan to get started. The dealer arranged the loan through Apple Federal Credit union. Wanted to let you all know that Apple is offering 10 year certificates at 3.50% with early withdrawal penalties of 6 months of interest. Sounds good to me, I will stop by one of their offices soon. (Was planning to use PenFed but these rates are better.) Apple has a long list of local employers etc., sounds like membership is pretty easy if you're local. I'll scope it out (not sure if it's for IRAs only for example) and post again if it looks good.

Look forward to meeting you!
Carolyn
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Hi Carolyn,

Welcome back. Our meetings are held on 3rd Sundays of "odd" months, and the next one is on 17 July. The place and time are described earlier in this thread.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Victoria
csoren

Post by csoren »

Oops, I have a correction to the certificate terms from Apple FCU:
If a certificate is redeemed prior to the maturity date the following penalty will apply: If the term is 24 months or less the lesser of dividends earned since issuance or renewal or 90 days dividend; if the term is between 60 months or less the lesser of dividends earned since issuance or renewal or 180 days dividend; if the term is greater than 60 months the lesser of dividends earned since issuance or renewal or 1,095 days dividend.

IRA certificates terms are 6 months, 12 months, 15 months, 24 months, 36 months, 48 months, 84 months or 120 months and the minimum deposit is $500.
Apple's rates:
6 Month Certificate 0.50%
12 Month Certificate 0.70%
15 Month Certificate 0.70%
24 Month Certificate 1.00%
36 Month Certificate 1.40%
48 Month Certificate 1.70%
60 Month Certificate 2.10%
84 Month Certificate 2.80%
120 Month Certificate 3.50%

And here are Penfed's current rates:
1-Year 0.990% 1.00%
2-Year 1.240% 1.25%
3-Year 1.490% 1.50%
4-Year 1.980% 2.00%
5-Year 2.230% 2.25%
7-Year 2.720% 2.75%

So at 7 years+ Apple's rates are better, but the penalty is 3 years of interest versus 1 year with Penfed. OUCH.
te5486a

Post by te5486a »

Please add me to your mailing list.
BornInCA

next meeting Sep 2011

Post by BornInCA »

Is the next meeting on September 18, 2011? If so, what do I need to do if I want to attend (possibly with my family)? Can we just show up?
bobcat2

Re: Next DC Diehards Meeting is Sunday - September 18

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 2 PM, Sunday, September 18 in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

At this point there are no specific topics. If you have topic suggestions you can post them here, or at the DC Vanguard Diehards page.

Link to DC Vanguard Diehards page.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/DCAreaDiehards/
Can we just show up?
Yes.

BobK
bobcat2

Re: Next DC Diehards Meeting is Sunday - November 20

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 2 PM, Sunday, November 20 in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

At this point there are no specific topics. If you have topic suggestions you can post them here, or at the DC Vanguard Diehards page.

BobK
Last edited by bobcat2 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChapMan

Re: Washington DC Area Bogleheads

Post by ChapMan »

Hey All,

Someone suggested that I post my request in this thread. Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but since people here are actually in the DC area, I might as well ask you all if you knew anything:

Hello All,

I am relatively young (26) and a part of an organization for work that deals with financial education. I wanted to invite some speakers to teach myself and my peer group (around the same age, just out of college/grad school and starting their first jobs) about basic financial literacy. I have some people lined up to give very basic lectures on budgeting, the use and abuse of credit, and how to maintain a credit score, but I wanted to invite some "higher level" people as well. Specifically, I was thinking of having someone come speak to us about things like the differences between a ROTH and Traditional IRA, what the TSP means (I'm a fed employee), how a mutual fund works, what an ETF is, descriptions of different bonds, the importance of expense ratios and fees, etc. This would all be very basic and informational rather than "peddling goods." For instance, I want someone with some experience/expertise to describe what a ROTH IRA is rather than recommend that someone invest in that vehicle. I have a basic understanding of all of this, but I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to answer some questions that would come up.

When I was in grad school we had someone come in from Smith Barney to basically give a presentation to us free of charge. He called it part of his "pro bono/outreach" efforts. I thought he was great in that he explained everything in a very clear and concise way and in no way pushed Smith Barney investments. Does anyone out there have recommendations about who I could approach in the Washington, DC area to come speak to us for an hour or so free of charge? My audience is likely to be somewhat sympathetic, so hopefully they'd be more willing to come free of charge. I thought about just kind of cold-calling some investment firms, but I figured that that might turn out to be a bad idea and end up being someone peddling goods to the audience. Also, as a fed employee, we can't endorse any products/companies or anything.

Thanks!
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Hi ChapMan,

Have you checked your PMs lately? :)

Best,
BobK
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

Hi all,
I am looking forward to our next meeting - 15 January 2012. I am wondering if anyone who plans to be at this meeting might have a set of DVDs from the national meeting that I might be able to borrow and mail back. (I am assuming that DVDs were produced this year...)
And if not, I would be happy to buy a set of DVDs but I did not see a link to that online. So if you can give me that link, that would be great too.
Thanks!
See you soon, I hope!
Leni (Elaine on the board, but not posting much lately)
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

I just found the information I was looking for! No DVDs this year but you can see videos of the meeting here: http://vimeo.com/channels/bogleheads#32728253 .
I plan to watch while I exercise tomorrow!!! :D
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Hi Leni,

Good to see you posting again. Now if you can convince Victoria to show up at the next meeting, instead of just promising to show up, we'll really be on to something. :lol:

Best,
Bob
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

bobcat2 wrote:Hi Leni,

Good to see you posting again. Now if you can convince Victoria to show up at the next meeting, instead of just promising to show up, we'll really be on to something. :lol:

Best,
Bob
Hi Bob and Leni,

I am convinced. ;-) See you soon,

Victoria
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Victoria,

Glad to see you'll be able to make the next meeting. Patti and I will miss it since we'll be traveling. We'll look forward to seeing you at the March meeting.

Ed
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Hi Ed,

Sorry you will miss the upcoming meeting. Enjoy your travel,

Victoria
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

Hi all,
Yes, Charles and I will be at the next meeting! And we will be bringing 2 others - Cherie and Kim. Kim is an economist with the IMF. We plan to arrive around 1:15 at the restaurant (in the hotel where the meeting is held) in order to have lunch before the meeting starts. If anyone would like to join us for a bite to eat or just to sit and chat before the meeting, please do! Looking forward to seeing everyone - it's been too long!
Leni (Elaine on the board)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Hi Leni,

I will try to be there at 1:15. Looking forward to seeing you again,

Victoria
bobcat2

Re: Next DC Diehards Meeting is Sunday - January 15

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 2 PM, Sunday, January 15 (tomorrow) in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

Here is a picture of the front of the hotel taken from Thomas Circle. The restaurant is on the ground floor on the right side of the picture.
https://cls.cdn-hotels.com/hotels/10000 ... 2_15_b.jpg

Some Diehards and guests will be arriving for lunch around 1:15 before the meeting begins at 2. Everyone is welcome to join the early birds for lunch. :sharebeer

BobK
alec

Post by alec »

My better half gave me permission to go this time :sharebeer
BornInCA

Post by BornInCA »

We plan on being there!!!

What I'm interested in is on people's views on what Rick Ferri had posted:
Who Will Your Spouse Call when You're Dead?

I was surprised that the thread was locked. I was thinking of dropping my own opinion on that. He's posted something that I had in my mind for some time. For me, it's "who would my loved ones call?" :)
bobcat2

LTCi and LTC costs

Post by bobcat2 »

At the meeting this afternoon there were several questions about long-term care insurance (LTCi). The NYTimes has run several good articles on LTCi over the last several years. Here is a link to an article about the large variation in the quality of LTCi offered by different insurance companies.
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/busi ... nce&st=cse

Here is a Q&A about LTCi.
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/27/heal ... ref=health

Here is an article on the probability of your needing LTC and the possible costs of that care.
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/05/busi ... are&st=nyt

BobK
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Our next meeting is on Sunday, 18 March 2012 -- same place, same time. It also turns out that the Washington’s Tidal Basin cherry blossom will begin the bloom on the 18th. The Bogleheads coming to D.C. for the blossom are welcome to join our meeting.

Victoria
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

For those planning to attend tomorrow's meeting keep in mind the cherry blossom time has been moved up because of the warm weather and the peak Sunday for the blossoms is tomorrow. So stay away from the Tidal Basin area in your travel to and from tomorrow's DC Diehards meeting. Even if you want to see the cherry blossoms, it isn't a good idea to drive into the Tidal Basin area. Instead park a ways away and walk or take Metro. :happy

BobK