3rd Meeting MI Diehards/Bogleheads ANNOUNCEMENT

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Levett

3rd Meeting MI Diehards/Bogleheads ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Levett »

We will have our third meeting with our special guest, Rick Ferri.

The meeting will take place on Saturday, December 15, from 9:30 a.m. until about Noon at the Plymouth District Library, 223 S. Main St, Plymouth, MI (telephone: 734-453-0750). The reservation is in the name of Jim Van Vlerah.

Directions to the Library can be found at the website, plymouthlibrary.org.

We look forward to a great turnout for Rick.

If you have any further questions, please contact Bob Uphaus at uphaus@msu.edu. See you in December (as well as in November!). Bob U.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hi Bob:

Rick's one sharp guy, so your group is in for a real treat. Be forewarned, though, that the females are going to like Rick even more than the guys ("He's so cute" is the most fequent comment I hear whenever he's around the ladies!). :D

Best regards,

Mel
Topic Author
Levett

Post by Levett »

Mel--

Do your comments about Rick fall under the heading of "risk?" :lol: Bob (balding, but not yet bald) U.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

bob u. wrote:Mel--

Do your comments about Rick fall under the heading of "risk?" :lol: Bob (balding, but not yet bald) U.
Hi Bob:

It's not a problem unless you have to compete with him for the attention of the ladies. Then it's a big-time problem! :D

Best regards,

Mel
Kathleen Ryan

Hi Bob U.

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Hi Bob U.,

What Mel wrote is true. Rick is quite handsome, knowledgeable and humble which makes him attractive both outwardly and inwardly.

Of course Mel and Taylor are no slouches either! as I've had the pleasure of meeting them also.

So Bob Paleeez don't despair! 8) Outward beauty and handsomeness is all in the eye of the beholder:

Best wishes, | Kathleen
Topic Author
Levett

Post by Levett »

Well, now, Kathleen I might be a bit concerned if it were Yul Brynner coming to speak! (Hide the ladies :lol: ) My favorite image of Brynner is of his stride in the "Magnificent Seven."

Speaking of magnificence, one would do well NOT to underestimate the magnificence of the women and men of MI Diehards/Bogleheads. :D

Y'all come and join us in mid-Winter! Bob U.[/list]
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

bob u. wrote:Y'all come and join us in mid-Winter! Bob U.[/list]
You gotta be kidding, Bob. I don't even go to northern FL in the wintertime! Perhaps MI in the summertime might work. :D

Best regards,

Mel
Kathleen Ryan

reply to Bob U.

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Thank you Bob,

for the invitation. I wish I could attend your third meeting as it would be so nice to meet you after reading all your kind and wise posts through the years. I have no doubt that the men and women of the MI Bogleheads Chapter are magnificent. =-)

I hope you will be able to attend DH VII held in southern CA next September.

You are right! It is a good thing Mr. Brynner won't be attending either meeting, as the conversation most likely would stray from the topic at hand. :wink:

Do you remember the anti-smoking message he made that he wanted aired after he had died from cancer? At the time I was shocked. It was so stark and succinct, and I believe quite effective:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JNjunlWUJJI
Best wishes, | Kathleen
tokyoleone

Post by tokyoleone »

Mr. Brynneer would find it rather difficult to attend any meeting - he's been dead since 1985.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Everything moves so fast on this forum, so I'm bumping this post so everyone gets a chance to see it.

Regards,

Mel
Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

To tokyoleone,

Thank you for letting us know Mr. Brynner had passed away.

Bob U. and I were taking a "flight of fancy" in that we were using our imaginations to pretend that if Mr. Brynner were still alive and attended the meeting, the ladies would have to be hidden because he was so handsome and charming. And most likely the conversation would drift to the many movies he starred in, among other things. =-)

I had provided a photo of Mr. Brynner because Bob had written about starting to go bald, and I just wanted to let him know that isn't a bad thing, as Mr. Brynner made the bald look cool. 8)

The link I provided in the post previous to this, was of Mr. Brynner's public service message he had released, just after he died to encourage people NOT to smoke as he had died from lung cancer.
Best wishes, | Kathleen
tokyoleone

Post by tokyoleone »

Yul Brynner: a very underappreciated actor, IMHO.

Wish I could attend the Michigan Diehards meeting (originally from Michigan myself), but now living too far away!
Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Hi tokyoleone,

Yes, I agree Mr. Brynner was a very under appreciated actor.

You wrote, " Wish I could attend the Michigan Diehards meeting (originally from Michigan myself), but now living too far away!"

Have you thought of starting a Bogleheads Chapter in Tokyo? :)
Best wishes, | Kathleen
Topic Author
Levett

Post by Levett »

Hi Mel and Kathleen and Tokyoleone,

Sorry to be late in my response to your responses.

Even if you can't (or Mel won't!) come to Michigan in mid-December, you should know the welcome mat is always there. In the 10 days or so I've been away, I've had many responses to Rick's visit with MI Diehards. He's gonna have a nice turnout come whatever weather. Ain't no wimps in Michigan (except in state gov't). :lol:

And I want to remind tokyoleone that there is a non-stop flight from Tokyo (Narita) to DTW (Detroit). And then it's just a short drive to the Plymouth Library to hear Rick do his thing. Cheers. Bob U.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

bob u. wrote:Hi Mel and Kathleen and Tokyoleone,

Sorry to be late in my response to your responses.

Even if you can't (or Mel won't!) come to Michigan in mid-December, you should know the welcome mat is always there.
Hi Bob:

Thanks for the open invite. I just may take you up on it next summer, since I'm hoping to find time to visit some friends there.

Best regards,

Mel
tokyoleone

Post by tokyoleone »

To bob u. and Kathleen Ryan:

Thank you for your kind words. Maybe I'll be able to attend in the future. And there are actually 2 daily non-stop flights to Detroit (on Northwest) from Tokyo now. But the jet-lag is still horrible. Have fun at your meeting.

Regards,
tokyoleone
Topic Author
Levett

Post by Levett »

Hi Tokyoleone:

Here's how I cured jet lag when I returned from Singapore through Narita. I got off the plane in Michigan (the snow felt wonderful) and my son took me to a New Year's Eve party. I don't remember the rest, but I sure slept well! :lol: Bob U.