The Ladders : Is it worth it

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

The Ladders : Is it worth it

Postby manuvns » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:55 pm

I am seeing The Ladders ads for quite some time now . I would like to know if the ladders is worth paying money for . If you paid for it did you find a job paying 100k+ ? Also how do you make sure you are 100k+ talent? any critic will be helpful .

http://www.theladders.com/
manuvns

Postby new2bogle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:03 pm

I tried technology ladder (some kind of free 30 day promotion so I didn't pay for it). I did not find it too useful, though there were job postings there. They also have resume help for members.

I may use it again in a few years, hopefully not for technology though.
new2bogle

ads

Postby hollowcave2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:47 pm

I see those ads too. I've been curious also.

I notice that they offer a basic service that is free where you can browse the listings. I recommend trying that and see if there's anything in the listings that you like.

At first glance, however, it seems to offer services similar to careerbuilder.com. But it's brilliant marketing, making it seem special.

JMHO

Steve
hollowcave2

Postby plex » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 pm

No, it is not worth it. As a general rule of thumb as well, I would be wary of any company which used ads excessively, especially if they make unusual promises. The normal, pervasive payment model for talent search companies is to charge the employer a significant fee (e.g. this fee is in the $10k-$50k range for lateral attorney jobs). This is also the case with TheLadders.

So, instead of using the multitudes of services out there which are free to the job searcher, you can instead pay for the privilege of using TheLadders.

There are some job search sites which scavenge the net for job postings on company sites, that only are charging the user a fee, instead of the user and the company, but that is no the model of TheLadders. Those sorts of sites tend to have a huge number of postings, if they are good, and provide some actual added value, since a company is more willing to hire someone when they don't have to pay a substantial fee to get help "finding" them.
plex

Postby XtremeSki2001 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:36 am

Depending upon your industry, I'd speak with a head hunter first to determine your marketability and compensation. I've always worked with head hunters which interface directly with the hiring company. It's worked great for me so far.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
XtremeSki2001

Postby German Expat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:48 am

It is an aggregation service. They just scan adds on various outlets (company web sites etc.) and show them on their site. Most of the time it links back to the target web site when you try to get more information.
It can be worth it dependent how well you find jobs otherwise. They are pretty easy to cancel and the free search will show you what is available but won't show you the company that has the job.
I would just do a free search, see if you find a couple jobs that interest you and you can then just spend 1 month and see how it goes.
In the current job market it is hard to find higher paying jobs and no web site can change it.
Take it for what it is, an aggregator and decide then if this is worth money to you.
German Expat

Return to Personal Consumer Issues