What is going on with iNG Direct ?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
tj

What is going on with iNG Direct ?

Post by tj »

Yet another decrease:

Interest Rate Change to 1.095% (1.10% APY)

4 drops since January..
amplifier

Post by amplifier »

I'm sure it's my fault, I chose to switch to them this past December. :(
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

Deflation.

Thanks
SP-diceman
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Better than almost nothing at most banks.
anthau

Post by anthau »

When Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund is yielding 0.01%, I'm not going to blame ING for besting it by 109 bps while also offering FDIC insurance (though my report of the yield spread may be slightly off--it's too early for me to convert SEC 7-day yield to APR).

Edit: Nah, I think I'm OK.
Last edited by anthau on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best, | | Anth
Topic Author
tj

Post by tj »

Where is the deflation coming from? US keeps borrowing and printing money.

How can evantage afford to offer 2%?
anthau

Post by anthau »

tj wrote:How can evantage afford to offer 2%?
Subsidies. :)
Best, | | Anth
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

tj wrote:Where is the deflation coming from? US keeps borrowing and printing money.
Just because the government is printing money doesn't necessarily mean inflation is imminent. The printed money needs to be put into the money supply and right now banks just aren't lending.
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower »

tj wrote:Where is the deflation coming from? US keeps borrowing and printing money.

Deflation comes from the fact that there is low velocity i.e. the money is there but it's not changing hands very fast. This is what happens when people stuff money in a mattress or banks put it in reserves without lending. Right now we have some inflation but it is extremely low and seems like deflation.

How can evantage afford 2%? Maybe they're trying to gain market share. Just a thought. I wouldn't think they could afford a large differential for too long though.
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

It's very annoying. When they do it twice in one month it catches my attention. It's almost enough to make me start looking around to see whether the gap between ING Direct and the other high-interest Internet banks is widening.

It plummeted during The Great Crash of Everything, then it was sorta-kinda stable for just long enough for me to start to relax, now it looks like it's falling quickly again.

I don't pay much attention to these things, but I thought the Fed had just raised interest rates by a hemisemidemiquaver or something? Heaven knows the credit card companies are raising their rates. Isn't it funny how banks always raise the rates they charge you at the same time as they're cutting the rate they pay you?

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Surely you guys understand that online banks and other interest rate whores will jack up their savings account rates as a short-term marketing ploy in order to suck in as many folks as possible. When they have reached their marketing goal, they will then reduce the rate as low as possible and hope to hang on to as many new customers as possible.

It must be a successful ruse as most of them take advantage of the method from time to time.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

nisiprius wrote:hemisemidemiquaver
Word of the day. Oh I am going to use this the first chance I get. :lol:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... demiquaver
Harold

Post by Harold »

I actually thought it was hemidemisemiquaver.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... semiquaver
cubedbee

Post by cubedbee »

mickeyd wrote:Surely you guys understand that online banks and other interest rate whores will jack up their savings account rates as a short-term marketing ploy in order to suck in as many folks as possible. When they have reached their marketing goal, they will then reduce the rate as low as possible and hope to hang on to as many new customers as possible.

It must be a successful ruse as most of them take advantage of the method from time to time.
Surely you realize that despite the fact that various online banks take turn offering the absolute highest savings account rates, they all still kick the crap out of brick and mortar banks even after their rates drop? I too was a little perturbed by ING's recent multiple decreases, and so looked into opening an account at every bank within a couple miles of me. Rates ranged from 0.05% to 0.5%.
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower »

mickeyd wrote:When they have reached their marketing goal, they will then reduce the rate as low as possible and hope to hang on to as many new customers as possible.

I guess "inertia" is not just a principle of physics. Fortunately we have the internet available to shop around and get those extra basis points if we want to do the work. Inertia is exploited in many other areas too, such as credit cards and insurance. (I haven't shopped around for a lower homeowner's rate in 4 years. Put it on the to-do list! ) :roll:
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
honkeoki

Post by honkeoki »

cubedbee wrote: I too was a little perturbed by ING's recent multiple decreases, and so looked into opening an account at every bank within a couple miles of me. Rates ranged from 0.05% to 0.5%.
Same here. I got all excited with the "support your local bank" movement until I looked at the rates they were paying.

Alliant CU is still paying 2% on their savings account:
http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/services/rates/
Alphahead

Post by Alphahead »

DartThrower wrote:

Deflation comes from the fact that there is low velocity i.e. the money is there but it's not changing hands very fast. This is what happens when people stuff money in a mattress or banks put it in reserves without lending. Right now we have some inflation but it is extremely low and seems like deflation.

How can evantage afford 2%? Maybe they're trying to gain market share. Just a thought. I wouldn't think they could afford a large differential for too long though.
Probably the result of a longer duration play that has payed off; as you said, it won't last too long before they have a similar yield.
IndyInvestor

Post by IndyInvestor »

I was thinking of moving my money to Emigrant Direct. Their dollar savings direct is offering 1.30% APR with a $1000 minimum deposit.
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

I have accounts at ING Direct, Ally Bank and Emigrant Direct. I move money around if it becomes advantageous to do so. Here is a nice calculator to determine whether it's worth the trouble to go through the pointing-and-clicking required to transfer money online:
http://www.mymoneyblog.com/archives/200 ... lator.html
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

Just use Alliant Credit Union. 2.0% yield.
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Hey nisiprius, that's a great chart. Do you have it dating back further and/or maybe with another curve for the Fed rate on the same chart?

The only bank that seems to offer a significantly higher interest rate is Alliant CU, but they have some fineprint that is not to my tasting. I am also not sure about their track record. ING Direct has a long track record of near top interest rate. Or is there anything else out there?

For what it's worth, bond prices are also trading higher since the announcement by the Fed of an increase of one of the rates. So that is consistent with ING Direct slashing interest rates as well. Maybe the market was expecting a more agressive increase in interest rates.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Harold wrote:I actually thought it was hemidemisemiquaver.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... semiquaver
:oops:
Way back when, when stock prices were quoted in binary rather than decimal, I always wondered if Wall Street insiders had short names for the fractions.... I can't believe they went around saying "thirteen-sixteenths" all day.
mickeyd wrote:Surely you guys understand that online banks and other interest rate whores will jack up their savings account rates as a short-term marketing ploy...
Yes, and one of the reasons I opened an account with ING Direct and have stuck with them is that it used to be my perception that they didn't do that. I was also very impressed by the way they were johnny-on-the-spot raising rates when interest rates rose, while most banks follow rates down quickly but drag their feet then interest rates rise.
natureexplorer wrote:Hey nisiprius, that's a great chart. Do you have it dating back further and/or maybe with another curve for the Fed rate on the same chart?
No, I did it the good old-fashioned way: downloaded my personal online statements and typed numbers into Excel.

I've noticed that charts of bank interest rates are in fact curiously hard to come by.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
smackfu

Post by smackfu »

cubedbee wrote: Surely you realize that despite the fact that various online banks take turn offering the absolute highest savings account rates, they all still kick the crap out of brick and mortar banks even after their rates drop?
True, but when's the last time that Ing Direct was actually the best? Years now?
frogamigo

Post by frogamigo »

I have historically been happy with ING and I will keep using them for the time being, but I have to admit that the rate decreases are making me cringe. I don't really want to chase rates, and ING's rates are better than most banks. *shrug*
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

frogamigo wrote:I have historically been happy with ING and I will keep using them for the time being, but I have to admit that the rate decreases are making me cringe. I don't really want to chase rates, and ING's rates are better than most banks. *shrug*
Yeah. When my bank's rate gets to be around 1% lower than the "better" rates--not the very best ultimate highest rate I've seen, but the "better" rates--I get itsy, and if it gets to a year or more and they're still that much lower--then I get to the point where I actually will jump ship.

Well, let me see... Ally Bank is only paying 1.3% on their "online savings" account, and Discover Bank is only paying 1.35%, so ING Direct is only a little lower.
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

nisiprius wrote:
natureexplorer wrote:Hey nisiprius, that's a great chart. Do you have it dating back further and/or maybe with another curve for the Fed rate on the same chart?
No, I did it the good old-fashioned way: downloaded my personal online statements and typed numbers into Excel.
I've noticed that charts of bank interest rates are in fact curiously hard to come by.
Here a chart for ING Direct online savings account interest rates dating back to January 2002: http://home.ingdirect.com/pop_up/rate_s ... popup.html

I suspect that not a single other bank can compete with this track record. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

What the chart also seems to show is that the differential is at its highest during high-interest rate environments.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I suspect that not a single other bank can compete with this track record. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
Here's a similar chart for my bank's (Presidential.com) checking account dating back to 1999. That's right, not savings, but checking. $1000 minimum, no ATM charges on Presidential's side.

http://presidential.com/images/chart8.gif

Edit: replaced animated image with link to chart
cubedbee

Post by cubedbee »

Ice-9 wrote:
Here's a similar chart for my bank's (Presidential.com) checking account dating back to 1999. That's right, not savings, but checking. $1000 minimum, no ATM charges on Presidential's side.

http://presidential.com/images/chart8.gif

Edit: replaced animated image with link to chart
That's apples and oranges. You earn your chart's interest rates as long as you have at least $1,000 and no more than $25,000. ING rates apply to any balance.
wannabe_CPA

Post by wannabe_CPA »

The fact is using any "decent" (one that doesn't pay less than a fraction of a percent) savings account is gravy. The "big win" is using a savings account to meet your immediate (1 year maybe 2) cash needs.

Money that I need in the future goes to the riskiest investment I can tolerate given the time frame I anticipate.

Retirement, decades away, throw it in stocks/bonds mostly stocks. I need this money to make some money, hopefully, in the interim and no savings account will cut it.

Replacing my car in 5 years, probably I bonds for now or maybe CDs and savings account as it gets closer. I can be a little risky in hopes of better yield since I have some time to leverage, but I'm mostly worried about preservation of principle.

My insurance bill due in 3 months, checking or savings account, it really doesn't matter.

How I invest the retirement money, provided I use a low cost diversified strategy that I'm willing to tolerate the risks of, is minutiae, as is the rate on the savings account. Just sticking the money back at all is the big win.

Still minutiae is sort of what a board like this is all about, but even at that I prefer to be persnickety about large amounts of money like retirement savings and not worry so much about small ones.

ING is a savings account that works for me and getting another .2% interest isn't necessary to accomplish my goals for what I use the accounts for, so I'm not worried about it until the yield is just completely unreasonable which in today's climate would be hard to do.
smackfu

Post by smackfu »

nisiprius wrote: I've noticed that charts of bank interest rates are in fact curiously hard to come by.
One odd place this is recorded is on FatWallet Finance, in the thread listing the best current interest rates.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/783099/

The quick summary table has a "history" button on the bottom right that will show you older versions of the table.
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

smackfu wrote:One odd place this is recorded is on FatWallet Finance, in the thread listing the best current interest rates.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/783099/
Thanks for the link! By the way, the listing for ING Direct is incorrect. There is no minium balance and ACH works both ways, even on the savings account (in my experience at least).
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

wannabe_CPA wrote:...using any "decent" (one that doesn't pay less than a fraction of a percent) savings account is gravy.... My insurance bill due in 3 months, checking or savings account, it really doesn't matter...

How I invest the retirement money, provided I use a low cost diversified strategy that I'm willing to tolerate the risks of, is minutiae, as is the rate on the savings account. Just sticking the money back at all is the big win.

Still minutiae is sort of what a board like this is all about, but even at that I prefer to be persnickety about large amounts of money like retirement savings and not worry so much about small ones.
Well said.

People get into trouble by trusting advisors who put their whole account into Bear Stearns stock. People don't get into trouble by putting their short-term cash in a safe place, even if there is some other equally safe place that would earn them $86.91 more a year.
MWCA

Post by MWCA »

Deflation. I am paying less on most things especially groceries. That and they can get away with it. ;)
We are all worms. But I believe that I am a glow-worm.
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Yep, the real return from ING Direct is probably better than during those high rate years (albeit probably negative in many cases after taxes).