Master Thread for Portland, Oregon

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
craigr

Master Thread for Portland, Oregon

Post by craigr »

[Title changed from Portland, Oregon Meeting? --admin LadyGeek]

Haven't heard from the Portland organizers for a while now. Anyone near Portland, Oregon want to meet sometime in the near future?
mindysf

more Portlanders

Post by mindysf »

My husband and I, in NE Portland, are in our mid-thirties and just finally starting to get going on investing. We've just recently opened up a Roth IRA through Vanguard and are reading up on investing in general and Vanguard, index funds, asset allocation, etc. specifically. We'd be interested in any local meetings on the subject, unless we're required to be experts, which we're not (though slowly working on it).
LHerr

Portland Blogger

Post by LHerr »

Craig,

I just learned of the Bogleheads site and registered this morning. I've been writing an investment blog for three months. My investing experience began in the late 1950s so I've seen a lot of changes.

I am still too new to this site to provide links to my blog, but you will find it if you Google Lowell Herr.

I was sorry to miss William Bernstein at Powell's but I was out of town.

Lowell
movaly1

Post by movaly1 »

I'm in the area and would be interested.
Pulm/CCdoc

Post by Pulm/CCdoc »

I Would also be interested in a Meeting of the Portland Diehards.
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Hello all interested Portland Diehards.

I organized the coffee meeting with Bill Bernstein on Mother's day, and have an email list of around a dozen local folks of whom about 5 attended.

I'd be happy to organize a meeting of interested Portland Diehards in the next month or so, but I'm going out of town for a few weeks, and will be incommunicado. PM me with your email address if you are interested, and I will add you to the list and will take action when I return

Ron
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

Ron
Please be sure and remember to e-mail me if you're going to have a get together in the Portland area :-)

BruceM
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

How about a meeting in November during Civil War week just before the Ducks get their annual whipping? :lol:

I had the pleasure of attending the first two (and possibly only) meetings of the Oregon Bogleheads a couple of years ago. I highly recommend it.
Last edited by jeff1949 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Bruce,

Yesterday (finally!) I sent email to all 15 names I have on the list to discuss an organizing meeting in September. I thought you were one of them. Did you receive it?

Ron
greensky

mailing list

Post by greensky »

If there are Portland meetings, I would be interested in getting on the mailing list.

Thanks!
Mel Lindauer

Portland Diehards Local Chapter

Post by Mel Lindauer »

baldeagle wrote:Bruce,

Yesterday (finally!) I sent email to all 15 names I have on the list to discuss an organizing meeting in September. I thought you were one of them. Did you receive it?

Ron
Hi Ron:

If you'd like me to add a Portland Oregon Diehards Local Chapter as a new chapter with you as the coordinator, PM me with your e-mail contact and I'll make your group a new Chapter.

Or, if you want to be listed as the new coordinator for the old "Oregon" chapter, let me know that, too. (I'm not sure if the old "Oregon" chapter is still operating or not.) And, if you'd like to change the old "Oregon" chapter name to Portland OR, let me know that, too.

http://www.lostsprings.com/diehards/chapters/

Regards,

Mel
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Greensky -- Please PM me with your email address.

Mel -- Thanks for those options. After we have the meeting, to determine what our future is, I'll get back to you.

Ron
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

Hi everyone.
Its now officially Oct and no Portland area meeting?
Anyone going to take the lead on this?
Ron?
Other?

Bruce
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Munir

Post by Munir »

I think Oregonians are too laid back to be able to organize a chapter :) .

Go DUCKS !!
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

Munir wrote:I think Oregonians are too laid back to be able to organize a chapter :) .

Go DUCKS !!
Oregon 42, Cal 3

If you can believe that!

I wonder how it'll go with Wasu?

BruceM
mr.ajandkj

Post by mr.ajandkj »

I'm interested, please add me to the list.
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

mr.ajandkj --

PM me and I'll put you on the list. We have a standing, quarterly meeting on the second Tuesday of the last month of each quarter. December 8th is the next. But, as Munir wrote, Oregonians are pretty laid back, so we miss a meeting sometimes.
macclary

In Corvallis

Post by macclary »

I live in Corvallis, and I would be interested in meeting up in Portland!
stratton

Post by stratton »

WBern admitted at DH8 he now lives in Portland and not North Bend. So maybe a little "trolling" might get him to show up. :wink:

Paul
matney

meeting.

Post by matney »

Put me on the list. I want to meet.
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Just a reminder for all interested in joining the Portland Diehards -- PM me with your email address so I can add you to the list.

Ron
ABQ4804

Portland Diehard meetings?

Post by ABQ4804 »

I've been watching this forum for awhile - are there meetings happening in Portland, or could I help revive the group? Always encouraging to talk with others with investment/life planning interests.
chipmonk

Re: Portland Diehard meetings?

Post by chipmonk »

alisa4804 wrote:I've been watching this forum for awhile - are there meetings happening in Portland, or could I help revive the group? Always encouraging to talk with others with investment/life planning interests.
I'd be interested in joining up for a meeting with other Bogleheads in the Portland area.
Mel Lindauer

Re: Portland Diehard meetings?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

alisa4804 wrote:I've been watching this forum for awhile - are there meetings happening in Portland, or could I help revive the group? Always encouraging to talk with others with investment/life planning interests.
If you'd like a Portland Local Chapter and you'd like to be the coordinator, just PM me with your name and contact e-mail and I'll get your own chapter listed so that others can find and contact you.

Then you could use this Local Chapters forum to communicate with Chapter members about meeting dates, locations, times, agendas and any other chapter business.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
tualatindave

Post by tualatindave »

I guess with a board name like mine I had better watch this post. Count me as interested in a Portland Meeting. :wink:
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Yes! There are meetings in Portland! We've been holding them once per quarter for the past few years.

If interested in being on the distribution list, please PM me. Current list has 34 names. Typical attendance ranges from 8 to 12.

Ron
ABQ4804

Re: Portland, Oregon Meeting?

Post by ABQ4804 »

OK, I read here the Portlanders have a meeting the 2nd Tuesday of the last month of each quarter, so is that coming up on Tuesday, March 13th? I hope it is early evening as I am still working. Please let us know about this meeting - thanks!
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

I'm in the Portland Metro area.
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

Good for you...so am I!

Send Ron (above) a PM and he will add you to the notification list for the Portland chapter meeting.

BruceM
mostlycloudy

Re: Meeting Information Requested.....Here

Post by mostlycloudy »

baldeagle wrote:Just a reminder for all interested in joining the Portland Diehards -- PM me with your email address so I can add you to the list.

Ron
Ron, please add me to the Portland Diehards next email " meeting list": www.priusbuyer2008@yahoo.com
hotwireranch

Post by hotwireranch »

Please put me on the list for any upcoming Portland meetings. Sounds like there might be one coming up this Tuesday March 13th

Thanks,
Jim
Wilsonville, OR
hotwireranch@gmail.com
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

craigr wrote:Haven't heard from the Portland organizers for a while now. Anyone near Portland, Oregon want to meet sometime in the near future?
Craig
Don't know if you'll get this in time, but there is a quarterly meeting tonite, Tuesday, March 13. PM me and I'll send you the specific info on location and time

BruceM

Edit: Ahhh, Ron's fingers are faster than mine :-)
mostlycloudy

Post by mostlycloudy »

SO WHAT HAPPENED AT THE QUARTERLY MEETING LAST WEEK/ :confused
adamlogan

Post by adamlogan »

Could you add me to the list? I'm from Salem but I am perfectly fine with driving up to Portland. I can't PM yet since I just joined.
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

It seems there is an active Portland chapter, can someone please contact me to let me know when and where the next meeting will be? Thanks.
Timmay!

Post by Timmay! »

I'd be interested in this also.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

This meeting would be a good storyline for an upcoming Portlandia episode...How about the two women (Fred & Carrie) who run the Woman and Woman Bookstore discussing one of Bogle's books or, better yet, the "Bogleheads..." book? :D
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Send Ron ("baldeagle" - see earlier post) a PM to get on the mailing list. The Portland, Oregon meetings are the 2nd Tuesday of the last month of the quarter (March, June, Sept and Dec), dinner in NW Portland. Usually about 12 individuals, a good place to ask boglehead questions. Join us!
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

Darn, I will be out of town for the March meeting.

I did send Ron a PM and also an email and have not heard back, so I didn't know if the chapter was still active. Sounds like it is.

Thanks alisa4804 for the info, hope to make it to the next meeting. :beer
Meta4

Post by Meta4 »

Hi,
I've already sent Ron a PM (I think I did anyways...) but thought I'd post here to express interest in joining the March
meet-up over in NW PDX. Just curious - does the venue change between meetings or you have a favourite place?

Jeff
srcolesrcole

Post by srcolesrcole »

It wouldn't hurt to ask five years later. Did you ever get your meeting :happy

If not, feel free to reach out at 206-359-1319. I live and work in Portland and would be interested in attending any regular scheduled meetings or a small working group if you know of others.

Cheers. Steve Cole
erider99

Post by erider99 »

I'm interested as well.

Greg
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I'm moving up to Portland some time next year, so I'm looking forward to such a meeting. Down here in Southern California, it's difficult to hold a meeting, because it's such a wide spread geographical area.
Gordon
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

I regret I can never attend but that may change in the future.
dpc

Post by dpc »

I live in Corvallis, and would be interested in attending a get-together.

Cheers,

Dave
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

dpc wrote:I live in Corvallis, and would be interested in attending a get-together.

Cheers,

Dave
Dave
Here is the info on our quarterly get together next week

BruceM
----------------------------------------------------------

Hello Diehards,

Our next meeting is coming up in two weeks:
Tuesday, March 12, 6:30PM
Ling Garden Chinese Restaurant.
Ling Garden is at 915 NW 21st in Portland, http://www.linggarden.com/index.html.
As usual, please send me your suggested agenda items, and advise me if you will attend so that I may ensure we have a quorum.

Best regards,
Ron
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Our quarterly meeting is next Tuesday evening, March 12th. Send Ron "baldeagle" (scroll up these messages and click on his blue name) a PM personal message about the meetings, then check your PM mailbox for the info. I have been attending for about a year, and always learn something valuable from the other participants.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Bumping this for any subscribers to this thread. I'm trying to wine taste at Liner and Elsen on Sat Mar 16. Unfortunately, I know it is just after the quarterly PDX meeting but I can't make that one.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 9&t=112624
Meta4

Post by Meta4 »

alisa4804 wrote:Our quarterly meeting is next Tuesday evening, March 12th. Send Ron "baldeagle" (scroll up these messages and click on his blue name) a PM personal message about the meetings, then check your PM mailbox for the info. I have been attending for about a year, and always learn something valuable from the other participants.
I'm in the Portland area would like to come Tuesday however I can't seem to "PM" baldeagle/Ron - the messages just sit in the Outbox folder. Have sent test messages to myself and they seem to get processed just fine so I don't know what the problem is. Has Ron changed accounts or has PMs turned off?

Jeff

*** followup: got things squared away, thanks all ***
Last edited by Meta4 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.