Which Medigap plan?- Sewall and others?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Tony

Which Medigap plan?- Sewall and others?

Post by Tony »

Hi,

I've directed this to Sewall especially because he said he works in Medicare. But I'd be interested in any advice or experience anyone has to offer.

I've signed up for Medigap Plan A with Mutual of Omaha, but now I'm wondering if I should go with one of the more comprehensive plans, like possibly Plan F. I think I could change - no health issues that I know of.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Tony
mur44

Medigap Plan A is OK, but Consider Either Plan 'C' or 'F'

Post by mur44 »

I would recommend that you consider either Medigap Plan 'C'
or Medigap Pan 'F'; these two plans are popular.

Plan 'A' is basic; Plan 'B' is better than 'A'; 'C' is better
than 'B' and so on. Of course, they come with higher premium.

Since you are already in Medigap, you can buy a better
plan without any problem.

Disclosure: I am a Certified Volunteer Medicare Counselor in the
state of New Jersey.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

After carefully considering all the options, I chose the "C" Plan, and I've never regretted that choice. For someone who travels outside the country extensively, they might want the plan with coverage for that. Otherwise, I thought the "C" plan was probably the best choice for many/(most?) folks like me.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Mel Lindauer wrote:After carefully considering all the options, I chose the "C" Plan, and I've never regretted that choice. For someone who travels outside the country extensively, they might want the plan with coverage for that. Otherwise, I thought the "C" plan was probably the best choice for many/(most?) folks like me.
Ditto on Mel's selection.
Jim
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
supergrouper

Mel?

Post by supergrouper »

Mel, do you use the VA for medical? I do and I've often wondered if I need a medigap plan because I have the VA. Thanks Tony
Mel Lindauer

Re: Mel?

Post by Mel Lindauer »

supergrouper wrote:Mel, do you use the VA for medical? I do and I've often wondered if I need a medigap plan because I have the VA. Thanks Tony
No, I don't use the VA, supergrouper. Many of my friends do. However, I know that the VA facilities are strained, and I feel there are other vets who might need the service more than me. I'm fortunate that I can afford to pay for my medical treatment, so I try to leave a spot for a vet who can't afford to pay for the treatment. I just feels like the right thing to do.
sage1166

Post by sage1166 »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
supergrouper wrote:Mel, do you use the VA for medical? I do and I've often wondered if I need a medigap plan because I have the VA. Thanks Tony
Last edited by sage1166 on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thank you, everyone, for all this good information. As always, you have something worthwhile to say.

Best Wishes,
Tony
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
No, I don't use the VA, supergrouper. Many of my friends do. However, I know that the VA facilities are strained, and I feel there are other vets who might need the service more than me. I'm fortunate that I can afford to pay for my medical treatment, so I try to leave a spot for a vet who can't afford to pay for the treatment. I just feels like the right thing to do.
Also, be aware (if you aren't already) that even though you may be a U.S. Vet, it dosen't necessarily mean you can/qualify for care. Depending on your income level, and "rating" of qualification, you may not be able to get services (easily).

Here's a link for the rating info and to determine your eligibility:

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/

and here's the breakdown by group:

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/Lib ... Groups.pdf

Even though I'm enrolled as a priority group #3, I still use my non-VA resources for medical care.

- Ron
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

If you can stand a $2,000 deductible, Plan F comes in a high deductible version that I found very attractive. My wife and I are both in that plan for combined annual premiums totalling $1,908.53. As some may know from my other posts, I'm a great believe in self insuring and high deductibles where I feel I can absorb the loss.
John
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

JDCPAEsq wrote:If you can stand a $2,000 deductible, Plan F comes in a high deductible version that I found very attractive. My wife and I are both in that plan for combined annual premiums totalling $1,908.53. As some may know from my other posts, I'm a great believe in self insuring and high deductibles where I feel I can absorb the loss.
John
Good point, John. Our supplemental polices cost a bit over $2000 each, and we have no deductibles, so we're out about $2000 more than you and your spouse total. So, if you and your wife didn't need medical treatment throughout the year, you'd be saving about $2000. However, for me, I don't want to even think about whether we should or shouldn't seek medical attention, if needed, so I chose the "C" coverage since I've already "prepaid" my annual medical expenses.

In the worst case scenario, you stand to pay $6000. In the best case scenario, you only pay $2000. I chose the middle ground at a known $4000.

Like many things, there's no one right answer. Folks have to choose whichever they feel works best for them.
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

Last year was my first year on the Plan F High Deductible and, aside from the low premium, another advantage was that I never had to deal with the Medigap provider in any way. They sent out periodic statements showing the amount of the deductible remaining and that was it.

I had previously been covered under group retiree coverage from my employer and I calculated I saved over $5,000 last year after dropping that coverage. I regret ever continuing that coverage for the four years after I retired.
John
Topic Author
Tony

Post by Tony »

JDCPAEsq wrote:If you can stand a $2,000 deductible, Plan F comes in a high deductible version that I found very attractive.
John
Mutual of Omaha doesn't offer the high deductible version of Plan F in California.
I agree with you that would be the way for me to go if it were available.

John: Which insurance company is it?
Tony
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

I'm with Bankers Life in Florida. When I subscribed, I noticed there were just a limited number of companies offering it this state. Your best source is medicare.gov which will tell you all the policies available to you in your state.
John

Edit: Since posting the above I checked California and the Website indicates that nine companies offer this plan in CA including Bankers Life, Blue Cross & Transamerica. It shows premiums ranging from $20 to $98 per month. I pay mine annually for a discount from the monthly rate.
John
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

Mel Lindauer wrote: In the worst case scenario, you stand to pay $6000. In the best case scenario, you only pay $2000. I chose the middle ground at a known $4000.
Mel - Plan F appears to also be more comprehensive coverage, covering "Plan B Excess Charges" at 100% whereas Plan C does not cover this at all. Otherwise they are the same.
John
Topic Author
Tony

Post by Tony »

JDCPAEsq wrote:I'm with Bankers Life in Florida.
Yes, I also just saw that Bankers Life does offer the Plan F Hi Deductible in Cal. I can't remember why I didn't choose them and I don't have my notes with me right now--maybe they didn't call me back in time--I had to make a decision quickly. A friend recommended Mutual of Omaha so I went with them and I've been pleased with them in the few interactions I've had with them so far..

Plan A with Mutual of Omaha is 86/month in Cal, which is actually a little more than you're paying for your Plan F. Is there a discount also because both you and your wife are covered?

Would you recommend Bankers Life for efficiency and ease of getting through to their customer service?

Thanks!
Tony
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

JDCPAEsq wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote: In the worst case scenario, you stand to pay $6000. In the best case scenario, you only pay $2000. I chose the middle ground at a known $4000.
Mel - Plan F appears to also be more comprehensive coverage, covering "Plan B Excess Charges" at 100% whereas Plan C does not cover this at all. Otherwise they are the same.
John
Not sure I understand what charges you're talking about, John, since I don't pay anything either.
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

Tony - The premium was based on attained age. I am four years older than my wife and so my premium is higher and always will be. There is no discount because we are both with them. Also, all my dealings with the company have been fine, although the contact has been minimal because of the high deductible and no claims.
John
JDCPAEsq

Post by JDCPAEsq »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
JDCPAEsq wrote:
John
Not sure I understand what charges you're talking about, John, since I don't pay anything either.
Mel - Medcare defines "Excess charges" as:

Medicare Part B excess charges (This is the difference between what a doctor or provider charges and the amount Medicare will pay up to Medicare's limiting amount)

I don't pretend to be an expert in this area, but apparently this excess is covered by Plan F and not Plan C.
John
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

JDCPAEsq wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
JDCPAEsq wrote:
John
Mel - Medcare defines "Excess charges" as:

Medicare Part B excess charges (This is the difference between what a doctor or provider charges and the amount Medicare will pay up to Medicare's limiting amount)

I don't pretend to be an expert in this area, but apparently this excess is covered by Plan F and not Plan C.
John
If the doctor is a participating doctor in Medicare, he/she agrees to accept what Medicare says is the correct amount. My Plan C insurance company pays anything not paid by Medicare up to the amount they say is the acceptable amount. Those Drs. cannot charge additional. There are some Drs. who are not participating Medicare Drs. and they can charge whatever they want.