PenFed problem with downloading to Quicken?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills

PenFed problem with downloading to Quicken?

Postby MenloGuy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:54 pm

I wonder if anyone else is having a problem downloading from the newly updated Pentagon Federal Credit Union site to Quicken. Before they updated the site, I was able to download using the OneStep Update within Quicken. Now it no longer works.

I contacted PenFed customer support and received a response saying they don't support it and instead suggest downloading directly from the Penfed site. This takes a lot of extra time given multiple penfed accounts.

Here's the response I received.

Thank you for contacting Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

The Quicken and Microsoft Money programs may offer to download information for you directly from a financial institution, but direct downloads are not currently available for PenFed accounts.

These programs have utilized new techniques that may allow you to automatically download your PenFed transaction history: however, we have not made changes to accommodate these features. If you are having difficulty using one of these methods, you should contact the program provider for support.

However, you can download your recent transaction history and import it into some financial management software through PenFed Online. Please access PenFed Online at the following link: <removed - can't post links>

First, login with your username and password. From the Main Menu page click on the account name to view the transaction history for the account.

Alternatively, click on the ?+? icon located to the left of the account name to be presented with more information about the account as well as additional options. Click on the ?View Transactions? link to access the transaction history for the account.

From the account transaction history page click on the ?+? icon located to the left of the ?Download Transactions? to be presented with your downloading options.

The most recent transactions will appear first. If there are more transactions than can be displayed on one page, a "Next Page" button will appear. When you have reached the end of the available transactions, an "End of Available Transactions" message will appear.

Quicken version 2004 or higher only supports checking, savings, and credit card transactions. If you wish to obtain certificate of deposit transactions, please note that a certificate of deposit should appear as a savings account for the purposes of downloading.

To download all the transactions listed on the page keep "All" as the value selected in the pull-down menu. To download only certain transactions, select "Transactions selected individually above" and check the box to the right of the transactions you want to download. To download a range of transactions, select the "Transaction # range" from the pull-down menu. Enter the beginning transaction and the ending transaction numbers in the "range" boxes. These numbers are found to the left each transaction listed above. The transaction numbers are used only in the display of this screen and should not be referenced when contacting Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

To download more transactions than are displayed on the screen, click the "Next Page" button first and when all the transactions appear, follow the instructions above.

When the transactions have been selected, choose the format for the data. Click the Download button and a dialogue box will appear asking you where you want to save the file. We suggest placing it in a directory specifically for PenFed Online transaction history downloads. For example, "C:\My Documents\PenFed Transactions\" on a Windows-based computer. You can name the directory whatever you like, but you'll want to use a name you can remember. Click OK.

(Please note: you can manually download using the QIF format but OFX or QFX for the Mac are not supported at this time.)

If finished with PenFed Online, click the "Log Off" button at the bottom of the screen and open your personal financial management software (Quicken or Money).
Follow the software's instructions for importing transaction files.
MenloGuy

Postby Sheepdog » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:35 pm

I don't have Quicken, but I have trouble downloading to Money as well. I downloaded directly from PenFed but had to use the QIF option instead of the Money 2001 and up option. I have to check off those transactions which have not already been downloaded previously or else it double entries.
I have not contacted them, but I imagine many have already done so.

Anyway, try the QIF to see if at least than will work for now. Maybe they will correct the programs.
Jim
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.
Sheepdog

Postby MenloGuy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks Sheepdog,

I am using the QIF and it works, just more tedious as I'm managing multiple accounts in 2 separate PenFed accounts. I'm just surprised they didn't at least own up to solving the problem....maybe if enough people complain.

Robert
MenloGuy

Another problem

Postby Pam » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:52 am

Since Pen Fed's web change it also doesn't properly link to my Vanguard "outside investments." Perhaps due to the same problem as the download to Quicken MenloGuy reported?

Best wishes,

Pam
Pam

Re: Another problem

Postby Polaris » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:41 am

Pam wrote:Since Pen Fed's web change it also doesn't properly link to my Vanguard "outside investments." Perhaps due to the same problem as the download to Quicken MenloGuy reported?

Same with Fidelity "Full View" for me. My Penfed CDs no longer appear...
Polaris

Postby NewtoBogle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:59 pm

anyone ever get this working? i'm new to penfed and unable to set up my account for direct downloads. i called them and they suggested downloading qif files.. which is kind of a pain
NewtoBogle

Postby delisim » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:00 am

I have the same issue. Not happy about it...Shoddy customer service!
delisim

Postby sscritic » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:23 am

Quicken downloads are not provided for free by Intuit.

If your bank or credit union provides free downloads, they are doing so by paying less interest on deposits or charging more for loans so they can pay Intuit its fees. Penfed has chosen to keep its costs low by refusing to pay the "Quicken Tax."
sscritic

Postby NewtoBogle » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:28 am

sscritic,

penfed provided downloads until they updated their website (jan/feb) and broke it.

no matter to me for my loan account with them - I can manually enter it, but I won't be using a credit card that doesn't directly download each day (shame, their CC is great rewards wise)
NewtoBogle

Postby raddle » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:13 pm

I tend to have problems with about 25% of my financial institutions not setting up the Quicken connect download correctly. My solution is to stop patronizing those institutions until they can get their act together. There's plenty of fish in the sea.
raddle

Postby NewtoBogle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:15 pm

today I tried setting up the penfed credit card again in quicken and it worked?

weird.
NewtoBogle

Postby Ricola » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:50 pm

Still not working here :(
Ricola

Postby penumbra » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Had the same problem. Now that I have the Schwab VISA with 2% back, I no longer see the value in the PenFed card, and I cancelled it yesterday. Every other card I have downloads perfectly into Quicken. (I've had 39 different cards since 2006.)
penumbra

Postby Doreamon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:23 pm

I am using Quicken 2009 and it is working fine with auto download from PenFed.

Maybe it is not backward compatible?
Doreamon

Postby NewtoBogle » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:05 am

been workin for me consistently now for the week or so i've had it set up.. quicken 2007

strange.
NewtoBogle

Return to Personal Finance (Not Investing)