Poll: When did you retire? Would you do it all over again ?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

What age did you retire?

before age 40.
2%
age 40-49.
11%
age 50-55.
24%
age 56-60.
31%
age 61-65.
22%
age 66-70.
4%
age 71-75.
1%
over 75.
1%
Multiple retirements.
4%

Total votes: 250

Topic Author
Wildebeest

Poll: When did you retire? Would you do it all over again ?

Post by Wildebeest »

While it is easy to imagine retirement, the planning is hazardous especially for the unknown: health, health of partner, expiration date of self or partner, job market as well as being financially secure (if such a thing is possible).
I enjoy reading the successful journeys of people in retirement especially on this blog and I often get the impression that their life is become more meaningful than being a wage slave. However retirement may be dangerous to your health, mood and relationship.

Would you have changed anything? What would you wish you had known beforehand?
Last edited by Wildebeest on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
BTDT

Re: Poll: When did you retire? Would you do it all over agai

Post by BTDT »

You did not allow for multiple retirements e.g in my case age 42, 53 and now at age 67 it's still TBD :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
Topic Author
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

jvclark02 wrote:You did not allow for multiple retirements e.g in my case age 42, 53 and now at age 67 it's still TBD :oops:
I am not very successful in poll creation and I added the option.
JV clark02 I take it retirement did not take? My wish would be that when I retire, people would beg me to come back (Hopefully my spouse would not be the one begging).

A poll to find out how many times people retired would be more interesting than this "add on poll" ( spin off on Berntson' s poll as to when to plan to retire).
Last edited by Wildebeest on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Yes I would do it all over again. I enjoyed working but I love retirement. I was 60.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
plannerman

Post by plannerman »

55 from megacorp, would do it again in a NY minute.

plannerman
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

When I was age 58 (11 years ago) my job went away and I was unemployed. I fooled around with pt/temp jobs for a while but eventually did some really simple math and calculated that DW and I had plenty of invested funds and future income streams (6) to last a long, long time. At that moment in time, I was retired. I have never looked back.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 »

I retired last May on my 56th birthday. I have not once regretted that decision. I have more time to exercise, eat healthier and sleep. In addition, I have been doing some fantastic trips (I just got back from a 19 day adventure (hang gliding, white water rafting, backpacking, sea kayaking, swim with the dolphins, glacier hiking) tour of the south island of New Zealand.) My health has improved and I am much for relaxed. I have not been bored for even a few minutes.

I don't miss the on call duties, the 4am computer patching, the stress, the meetings, and a few of the people.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I ran a similar survey 6 years ago with which you can compare. "For retirees:At what age did you retire??" http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2023217621

I am in my 16th year. I would do it over again. I am healthy at 80. My wife and I have traveled well in the US and world, including a classy 2 week cruise in January. We even enjoyed being with each other 24/7 (surprisingly). We have our separate lives, though. We both volunteer assisting children, she in a school, and I in a Children's Museum. My retirement income from SS and investments has been more than adequate as our nest egg has kept up with spending needs and wants and grown some on top of that.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

mickeyd wrote:When I was age 58 (11 years ago) my job went away and I was unemployed. I fooled around with pt/temp jobs for a while but eventually did some really simple math and calculated that DW and I had plenty of invested funds and future income streams (6) to last a long, long time. At that moment in time, I was retired. I have never looked back.
I also "got retired" at about 57 during the dot com collapse when the company I worked for got taken over. Although there were jobs around, there were zero jobs for older women in the IT field, regardless of being up-to-date. I would have worked for at least ten more years if I had had that option.

Now I sit around and see products come to market with the types of problems that we old timers knew about and avoided years ago. It's teeth-grinding to be discarded as a prospective employee because of stereotyping by hiring managers and prospective fellow employees assuming we're ignorant and hidebound. Bigotry is a terrible thing.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I retired in late 2008 at age 45. Yes, I would do it again, it was the best life-changing event I have had.
Levett

Post by Levett »

Yes. At age 58. Going into year 14 of renewal.

Not a single regret, but that's the wrong way to put it.

I count my blessings every day. I am full of gratitude, come what may.

Lev
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

I retired at 40 and would definitely do it again. My health is much better and I have been able to spend so much more time with my family.
Taylor Larimore

No regrets -- only gratitude

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Wildebeest:

I retired from government service at age 57.

Sailing was a hobby, so I got a captain license and began delivering boats and teaching sailing for a small income and doing what I enjoyed.

I also began spending my spare time helping others with their financial problems on this forum. I have no regrets--only gratitude.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Retired at 56 and definitely would do it again.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Tried "retirement" (went to 1/3 time) at age 47 and after 8 months was bored to death. Went back to work 1/2 time at one job and 1/2 time at "another job" doing the same thing. After 5 years of that (and a million FF miles) I found a position that allowed me to work 1.5 jobs and remained blazing away at that for the next 9 years (age 61) at which point I mostly retired (still help out a little here/there with my last FT employer.)

Learning to be "retired" has taken me 2+ years. Getting over the worry about not having a lot of money coming in regularly, though I spent little and saved hugely my whole life.

Now I find that I can fill each day with activities (or not) without fret.
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

Retired at 60 & would certainly do it all over again.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Retired at age 64-----I was contractually required to provide my employer with 1 year of "notice"----and that turned-out to not only be good for them, but good for me, as well!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Retired @61. I enjoy retirement playing lots of tennis, traveling and doing some volunteer work. Would definitely do it all over again. Make no mistake, having tons of free time can be a challenge, retirement is like any other stage in life....be prepared.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

When? 2007 (at age 59).

Would I do it all over again? Is this a trick question :oops: ? (I was made for retirement :D ).
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Ron wrote: Would I do it all over again? Is this a trick question :oops: ? (I was made for retirement :D ).
Great answer. I wish I'd thought of that. :thumbsup
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I consider being able to successfully (financially - mentally) retire at 50 as being one of my major life achievements. Heck yes I would do it again - except for building that dream house in the country part that only lasted three years. Would not do that again!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

I retired from the federal government at age 57 in 2005. It was planned long in advance. I walked out the door and never looked back.
Steve | Semper Fi
chaz

Post by chaz »

I retired at 74, but I liked my work.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Retired twice. At age 52 I was offered an early retirement option from Electronic Data Systems where they sweetened the pot. I took it and then went back to work for Compuware Corporation supporting the same General Motors client I had with EDS. Retired the second time at age 57.5. Second retirement was technically a layoff, fortunately I was at the point where I was ready financially. Collected unemployment insurance for 6 months. At the time there was not a high demand for I.T. workers in their late fifties.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

I hope to retire at 50. I was hoping for 40, and probably could if I really wanted to, but the carrot for another 5-10 is just too good. The only regret is that I'll get to spend a lot more time with my two younger children while still in their school-age years while my oldest will be in college by that time.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

Age 25, and I'd definitely do it over again so far - then again, it's been less than 2 years.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

There appear to be a large number of retirement threads going around. As I commented in another thread, I was ready to leave the government at 61, but not ready to retire permanently. Our only child was in college 1000s of miles away from NoVA and wasn't coming home over the summers. I had always wanted to work for a university, and when one of best research schools in the country came calling (well actually I applied) to do a job like the one I was doing in the government, I couldn't turn it down. Having a salary, much lower than my government salary, and my pension made it possible. My wife and I had to live apart for three years, but we tried to see each other every two or three weekends. It was like we were dating again; we were always on our best behavior. The retirement job has been great. It gave me a sense of worth and achievement that the top down nature of the federal government could not give me. I would not trade it for anything. But it is time to go. My age, the worst winter I have ever experienced, my wife's medical concerns, and the increasingly complicated and demanding nature of what I do has convinced me that I need to get on with the rest of my life.
Rich in Michigan

Post by Rich in Michigan »

I was 60

I was an executive at one of the world's biggest companies and always had a fair amount of business travel. In my last few years, I simply decided I wanted more time at home and more time to myself. At 50, we decided to not wait until normal retirement age. I loved my job (which kept me going as long as I did) and I miss my friends but I would do it again in a nanosecond.

Make that a picosecond.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

I retired at age 68, after a great career as a surgical pathologist. I would do it over again!
LarryG
reisner

Post by reisner »

Age 60, in 2005. Since retirement enabled me to sell my house in San Diego at the peak of the market there and move on, which I very much wanted to do, I would certainly do it all over again.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

i would do it sooner.
Monk53

Post by Monk53 »

Retired at 55. Haven't looked back.
Dutchgirl

Post by Dutchgirl »

I was able to gradually reduce my hours in my therapy practice and finally retire completely at almost 79 last August. For me, an ideal way to end my rewarding work life.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Retired at 64 from a government job as a very busy section head. I think I was over it before I got home from my retirement party.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Retired at 55 and the 8 years since then, have been the best years of my life.

As mentioned by others, I have a better diet and more exercise, less stress, and fulfilling volunteer activities. Dear Wife and I feel grateful daily for our retirement lives.

Posted by Peter Foley
Happiness is a fairly universal goal. Richard Nelson Bolles examined happiness in retirement and describe "levels" of happiness -pleasure, engagement and meaning - based on the scientific studies of Martin Seligman. Paraphrasing from the book:

Pleasure is the immediate positive reinforcement you get from doing something you like. Its duration is usually short, lasting as long as the activity itself. Enjoying a good meal, tasting a fine wine or hitting a good golf shot, are three examples of positive reinforcement resulting in very short term pleasure.

Engagement is the happiness that results from losing yourself in something you are doing. The positive reinforcement often does not come until after you have finished. Engagement involves effort on your behalf to successfully overcome some challenge and it is likely that that additional reinforcement imprints the feeling of the experience more strongly and gives the resulting happiness a longer duration.

Meaning is an approach to happiness that results from using your abilities in service to something larger than yourself. Common examples of service include actions done on behalf of family, friends, your community or a host of social or religious causes. The positive feedback from these pursuits is often amplified by the recognition of your efforts by others. This type of reinforcement can last a lifetime.
Last edited by heyyou on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

Sheepdog wrote:I ran a similar survey 6 years ago with which you can compare. "For retirees:At what age did you retire??" http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2023217621

I am in my 16th year. I would do it over again. I am healthy at 80. My wife and I have traveled well in the US and world, including a classy 2 week cruise in January. We even enjoyed being with each other 24/7 (surprisingly). We have our separate lives, though. We both volunteer assisting children, she in a school, and I in a Children's Museum. My retirement income from SS and investments has been more than adequate as our nest egg has kept up with spending needs and wants and grown some on top of that.

Hi Sheepdog,

Thank you for your link; I enjoyed reading the posts and I wish that I had been more successful at searching for previous threads and had found your survey. At the time of your survey [2008] the world looked dark and gloomy - in the throws of a downturn. I was surprised that in spite of that, most of the Bogleheads in the thread seemed to be very happy overall in retirement. This seemed true even while it may have been forced on some of the responders.

It is great to read your update as well as BigFoot48 and Levett's.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences.
tacster

Post by tacster »

Wildebeest wrote: However retirement may be dangerous to your health, mood and relationship.
No, it's WORK that's dangerous to those things.
Wildebeest wrote: Would you have changed anything? What would you wish you had known beforehand?
I would have started saving more, earlier, so I could have retired earlier than I did (age 57).
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
Ged

Post by Ged »

I retired Oct 2 2013. I was 63.5.

I surely would do it all over again. The last month or so I was really chomping at the bit to get out. I was mentally ready for it and the company I was working for was (and still is) circling the drain.

Things I would have done differently:

1. Tell my boss no when he asked me to sign a 6 month consulting contract when I resigned. It made my transition to retirement slower than I would have liked.

2. I wish I had investigated index fund investing in detail earlier.
Topic Author
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

Hi FireProof,

I thought initially that you were dyslexic and that you retired at 52. Reviewing some of your posts show great originality and inventiveness

F0000]
FireProof wrote:Age 25, and I'd definitely do it over again so far - then again, it's been less than 2 years.
FireProof wrote:
FireProof wrote: [/color]

I'm retired at 25 and wrote a (pseudonymous) article that partially discusses my thinking: http://voices.yahoo.com/why-retire-lima ... 18472.html
You can tell the article is for a 25-year old's concerns because it doesn't even mention heath care :)

You can definitely hugely reduce costs - you just can't live like a gringo who's trying to transplant America. I guess I have a Bay Area perspective though. You can also reduce non-healthcare costs by moving to the Rust Belt, but that seemed less appealing.

Personally I wouldn't recommend moving to Asian countries (unless you have that ancestry), because the languages are so hard, and you're so different that it will be hard to ever really assimilate. But then again, some want to retire to live as expats, rather than to really integrate with the local culture.

My girlfriend is not yet retired (and she's already 26!) and is working over the internet earning a salary in dollars from the US company where she already worked, which obviously goes a long way in a 3rd world country.

Shameless brag, but Peru is winning some plaudits for its cuisine on a global scale: http://www.spoonfed.co.uk/spooners/spoo ... ards-7525/

Some French guy told me I need a reality check, and, hey, there surely are more great restaurants in France, but value has to be a factor as well.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Forcibly retired at 65 a month ago, and lovin it. I kinda vegged out for a few weeks, but now the music business is picking up and everyone wants me for something or other.

What gets me is others' response. They seem dismayed, or something. Isn't 65 kind of a normal age to retire? :confused
dewey

Post by dewey »

Retired at 63, almost two years ago. Couldn't be happier and would do it again in a heartbeat.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

I didn't have a choice but was not unhappy about retiring at age 60 in 2008. I wanted to squeeze 2 more years because I was somewhat worried that I didn't have enough for retirement and wanted to wait till age 65 for pension and age 70 for SS.

It was a blessing in disguise. Even living through the crash of 2008 was not fun, I have really enjoyed retirement. Spending time with family, much less stress, laughing (almost) at snow days etc. Miss some of the social aspects of working. Found that I had enough retirement money. I have met more than a few retirees who fretted about retiring and only one regrets it - he doesn't know what to do with his time. Luck, as always, plays an important part. Having your equities go up 30+% in a year can do a lot vs a 30% drop.
Taylor Larimore

Stay the course.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Dandy:

Retiring in 2008 and immediately watching your portfolio drop 30% must have been scary (unless you're wealthy).

You understand better than most Jack's words of wisdom: Stay the Course.

Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

I went to half time work at 51 and fully retired at 58. If I were to do it again I would have worked full time another three and a half more years and retired completely then. Have enjoyed being fully retired (my wife also retired two years ago) doing what we want when ever we want to, and spending time with family.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I decided two days ago to retire in July. Told everyone so I will not chicken out. I tried to leave last year and they gave me more money so I stayed. Not going to happen this year. My wife is ready to leave her retirement job so I'll definitely be retiring on the Sunday after a two week vacation in Aruba.

I would do this again; work for ten years after the initial retirement. It has been a great, if demanding, job; allowed me to qualify for social security; earn another pension; buy the most expense house we have ever had and a weekend place in Chicago; and put lots of money aside for actual retirement. We now have over a million in investments in addition to the $180,000 or so per year in pensions and social security (current and anticipated). Only problem I see is that I put too much in pre-tax investments. My wife grew up poor so this money is real important to her.
mb

Post by mb »

I had a sole proprietor environmental business. Broke my wrist in mid 2007 at age 53. Required surgery and was on private disability insurance until mid 2008. By then, with the collapse of the building/real estate market, business was gone. Maybe had 20% of the work that I used to have during the heady construction days of my early work years. My wife retired in 2012. That's when I called it quits for good. I never would have survived if it wasn't for the help I got from fellow Bogleheads.

Though the timing was not planned, I love retirement. I do volunteer work and have no problem keeping myself busy. By the way, I spoke to a friend yesterday who still dabbles in the same field work I used to do (he's now mostly retired too). He says that business is still very slow and many of his clients are just hanging on. I count myself as very fortunate that my business did not dry up 5 years earlier!
Sally

Post by Sally »

Retired early at 52 because of my husband's terminal illness--he wasn't eligible for normal retirement either. We both retired early. Yes, I was concerned about having sufficient funds and whether I could get another job (if needed) and was in denial about his prognosis. He was more realistic though he certainly "stuck it out" until he could get his early retirement, saying that "at least one of us is going to get this darn pension that I have almost earned!!"

You think you will have, at least, some time together--hindsight, unfortunately is 20/20 whereas forward looking is not, at least for some of us. I just wish I had taken the early retirement even earlier. Looking for a job that first year after his death would have been difficult, at best--I was a basket-case as they say….And then, about 18 months after my fab husband, my Momma needed someone to care for her. I didn't think twice about it….just felt very fortunate to be able to move in with her and make sure she had a last couple of years.

You have to be reasonable, I guess, but I have found that I need a lot less than we had projected for the two of us---maybe because he made certain that we traveled first class and lived well whereas more $$ at this point wouldn't change my lifestyle--I just don't have that many needs and have never liked shopping--used to tell my husband he was really lucky in this respect-- : )

Anyway, I learned thru the experience that while financial security is important--I am not sure that you ever feel financially secure (until in your 80s and up or something---who knows!!) Just be realistic about what you really need and what's important.

Regards,
Sally
ot1138

Post by ot1138 »

I haven't but have been thinking about it. I'm 42 and the only thing that's stopping me is that I don't really know what I do. I hear bad stories about a lot of retirees who slowly get dull (I'm guessing the group of brilliant overachievers on this board are the exception rather than the rule).

I'll probably wait a few years and then consider semi-retirement. Maybe open a winery somewhere because I love growing things and making wine :-)
Lon

Post by Lon »

I retired at age 57, 22 years ago and no regrets. I wish Ii could have done it sooner.
Blues

Post by Blues »

10 years ago at age 51. I'd have done it sooner if I'd have qualified. No regrets whatsoever.