Individual Stocks - Do you own any?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Individual Stocks - Do you own any?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 245

cheese_breath

Re: Individual Stocks - Do you own any?

Post by cheese_breath »

I have only owned tow individual stocks in my whole life. Both were in companies I worked for, and both were before I knew much about index funds or investing in general.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
desertbandit442

Post by desertbandit442 »

About 0.6% of my holdings in PFIZER, CISCO, and VALERO--just for fun. Rest of holdings in index funds. Individual stock holdings have outperformed index funds by double over 1 year and 3 year period, but like I said it is just for fun and I would never go over 1.0% of holdings in individual stocks. I go to Vegas too every 3 or 4 years, just for fun.
RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 »

I have mostly Vanguard funds but have a large holding of GE, with most bought at ~$7/share back in March 2009. I also buy some P&G via a DRIP plan. I decided many years ago that since I was doing my own gardening I would pay myself the $150/month that was going to the gardener, and over the years I have upped it to over $300 now 2x/month.

It's simply a good way to keep moving money from my checking account into forced savings, and I can liquidate at any time. It's helped fund many purchases over time, and I highly recommend it.

RTR
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

I confess I own 4, representing about 20% of our taxable account. They are the high gains residue of an inherited portfolio from long ago. Our heirs will have to deal with them.
JW
ps: I had a small percentage of company stock match in the 401k but I've sold it all.
Retired at Last
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

None since 2010.

Have thought of buying some shares of Tesla a year ago.
I am yet to reach a phase of funding home down payment fund in addition to retirement accounts, I am doing today. Probably then a 5% :)
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
gcgang

Post by gcgang »

Yes. I've evolved into a defacto index fund in the course of 30 years of investing, owning almost 70 individual stocks. I don't want to get hit with those high fees on Vanguard index funds (LOL), nor pay taxes on the unrealized cap gains.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

abuss368 wrote:I must say the poll results and comments are a little surprising for "Bogleheads" who I expected to be index funds and at least mutual funds with next to nothing in individual stock holdings.
Why? Bogleheads are people after all... What surprises me are the posts where a certain idea along with expectations of what a Boglehead IS. Rather odd; but then again, those posters are people too. -- Tet
lauberge49

Post by lauberge49 »

When I dumped my 30+ YR experienced Financial Advisor in 2008, I stayed totally in the market and used Morningstar as my guide for which individual stocks to own. I had a good recovery using this strategy until last year, however found myself "dabbling" too much as the markets leveled off. I decided to temper my lack of patience by moving to Vanguard and seeking Boglehead advice. I am moving towards a 3-4 fund strategy, but I do still own AAPL which I will eventually rid myself of. My goal now is to learn to be more patient and to do that by becoming "hands-off". I am 64, so changing strategies is not that easy! I have a small acct at Tradeking and hold two speculative stocks there just for fun.
JMMc

Post by JMMc »

Yes, Significant shares of Chevron, Exxon, AT&T and a few shares of Pfizer and Monsanto. All inherited. Have been satisfied with performance and use dividends to pay quarterly estimated taxes.
james22

Post by james22 »

20% individual stocks: 10% Berkshire (BRK), 5% Markel (MKL), 5% Fairfax (FRFHF).

Looking to add +5% Fairfax and maybe 5% Leucadia (LUK).

:shock:
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Yes.

Started in 1995 with drip programs with a few companies and gradually added 1-2 companies per year, shutting down new acquisitions around 2006. No real new contributions since 2009 when things were on sale.

Current holdings are 19 companies total about 19% of net worth. These individual companies have very large capital gains and all pay very healthy dividends which seem to be growing at 5% -15% per year.

Vanguard is used for SPY, International, and bond funds.

Ed
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

yrs ago bought stocks directly and still have them - and also don't want to pay the gains. Blue chips like JNJ, Dom Resources,
P&G, Lowes - a few more. they have done well and keep reinvesting dividends. may sell later...
DrDoodle

Post by DrDoodle »

I used to own some individual stocks ... nearly every single one of them enjoyed a nice ride up, and then a collapse to, in several cases, bankruptcy. I realized that I lack the time, interest, and inclination to sufficiently monitor holdings of individual stocks. I sold off my last few in 2012 while in the 0% cap gains bracket, and I fully intend to never again own an individual stock. It's a liberating feeling!
BHCadet

Post by BHCadet »

I've been clean for four or five years now.
Hope to stay that way.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

My entire portfolio only consists of individual stocks. 19 or so. I keep it under 20.
Jfet

Post by Jfet »

Down 8% in the individual stock I was forced to hold over the long weekend. I knew this would happen and wanted to buy puts, but was talked out of it :?
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Every quarter, I briefly own an individual stock (my employer's) via ESPP and RSU grants, but I sell the shares as quickly as I can after vesting.
Jfet

Post by Jfet »

Bungo wrote:Every quarter, I briefly own an individual stock (my employer's) via ESPP and RSU grants, but I sell the shares as quickly as I can after vesting.
do you sell them even if the company fixes the price on Friday and then makes a silly announcement over the weekend and the stock opens 10% lower while you have paid income tax at the higher price?
ogd

Post by ogd »

Jfet wrote:
Bungo wrote:Every quarter, I briefly own an individual stock (my employer's) via ESPP and RSU grants, but I sell the shares as quickly as I can after vesting.
do you sell them even if the company fixes the price on Friday and then makes a silly announcement over the weekend and the stock opens 10% lower while you have paid income tax at the higher price?
Yes. The income taxes are sunken costs by this point, and the one question remaining is do I want to invest $XYZ in company stock today. Also, you got a capital loss out of it, which one day might be offsetting some income tax...

(Same boat, probably different company)
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

james22 wrote:20% individual stocks: 10% Berkshire (BRK), 5% Markel (MKL), 5% Fairfax (FRFHF).

Looking to add +5% Fairfax and maybe 5% Leucadia (LUK).

:shock:
Let me guess, you like insurance companies that invest the float? :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
kingjimmy

Post by kingjimmy »

It makes sense to be invested in some common stocks. There is a 2 out of 3 chance your stock wil either stay flat or go up in value. And if holding for the long term a stock that pays dividends, then even if it stays flat you'll profit from the stock and see gains. Technically should you hold to the 3 portfolio recommendation then holding a profitable stock as a small percentage of your portfolio will allow you to slightly beat the market, so long as your stock moves no less than sideways.
Jimmy
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I voted no. I sold a few shares I had in Disney many years ago.

I don't see any need to own individual stocks. Indexing is too easy and helps me sleep better.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

kingjimmy wrote:It makes sense to be invested in some common stocks. There is a 2 out of 3 chance your stock wil either stay flat or go up in value.
Forgive me, but people need to stop thinking that way.

First, investing is not an athletic contest, where you get the same medal whether you win by a second or a minute. All probabilities in investing need to be multiplied by their consequences.

Second, as long as you are going to throw out a number like that, it would be nice to have your source, and it is essential to have the period of time you are talking about. Over short periods of time I am quite sure the chances are close to 50/50.

Consider the three stocks chosen by Glassman and Hassett in 1999 to illustrate their stock-picking theory involving stocks that show consistent increases in earnings, high growth in earnings, high profit margins,low debt, and managers who own stock.
  • General Electric ("GE is increasing its dividends at twice that pace... [in mid-1999] it was by our conservative standards trading two-thirds below its perfectly reasonable price.")
  • Microsoft ("meets the Schlang criteria with ease.")
  • and Tootsie Roll. ("We're still dazzled by Tootsie Roll.... could triple before bursting out of our comfort zone.")
Whatever you can say, these are nice conservative choices, solid companies, steady dividend payers, etc.

I don't think that in 1999 anybody would have said that these were anything but solid stocks. And yet, from 1999 to today, INCLUDING dividends, three out of three lost money. Every single one of them. Even if it is true that 2 out of 3 go up, it is awfully easy to pick good sound solid stocks that go down.

And if holding for the long term a stock that pays dividends, then even if it stays flat you'll profit from the stock and see gains. Technically should you hold to the 3 portfolio recommendation then holding a profitable stock as a small percentage of your portfolio will allow you to slightly beat the market, so long as your stock moves no less than sideways.
No, only if the stock you pick beats the market.
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
pop77

Post by pop77 »

I voted Yes. The US large cap portion of my portfolio is individual stocks. This portion has stocks with a dividend growth focus. I buy one or two stocks a year. Just wait for the opportunity, no pressure to invest.
nukewerker

Post by nukewerker »

I am 100% in individual stocks. I don't track my yearly % gains anymore. If you believe in the Mr. Market fable, time frames are irrelevant. You could go several years holding a stock you believe is undervalued. For example, I bought Tesla at $99 looking for a gain to $130. Yes I had no idea what the stock would do in the future. Could have gone down to $50. Or like it did-went up to $160. I sold there and locked in a 60% gain in 2 months or so. I won't buy it again unless it comes way down in price as there isn't a lot of upside that I can see. That gain could have happened in 2 months, 2 years 20 years or never. I also have had good returns with news drops, i.e. BP Oil, JP Morgan, Western Union. I like the idea of indexing but not excited about buying all the winners and all the losers.
kingjimmy

Post by kingjimmy »

Second, as long as you are going to throw out a number like that, it would be nice to have your source, and it is essential to have the period of time you are talking about. Over short periods of time I am quite sure the chances are close to 50/50.
I don't need a source for this. It's simple math. A stock can either go up, down, or trade sideways. There's a 33% chance it can go up, a 33% chance it could go down, and a 33% chance it could go sideways. If it trades sideways for the long-haul and pays dividends, when coupled with owning the vast majority of your portfolio in the total market/bonds, there is the possibility your portfolio could benefit.

Keep in mind that there is the possibility that the Boglehead philosophy, while great, may eventually become not work very well one day. Imagine if you were in Japan and owned index funds in the entire Japanese market for the long haul. There have been entire decades where the market over there has traded almost entirely flat. There is the possibility that could happen here one day. If we become economically stagnant, the Boglehead philosophy would probably be found wanting by most of us for the long-haul. Almost 30 of the last 50 years in Japan have traded relatively sideways. For most of us, 30 years represents an entire lifetime of investing, and we would certainly look to become something of stock pickers.
Jimmy
bpp

Post by bpp »

kingjimmy wrote:
I don't need a source for this. It's simple math. A stock can either go up, down, or trade sideways. There's a 33% chance it can go up, a 33% chance it could go down, and a 33% chance it could go sideways.
Those probabilities are not correct.
Keep in mind that there is the possibility that the Boglehead philosophy, while great, may eventually become not work very well one day. Imagine if you were in Japan and owned index funds in the entire Japanese market for the long haul. There have been entire decades where the market over there has traded almost entirely flat. There is the possibility that could happen here one day. If we become economically stagnant, the Boglehead philosophy would probably be found wanting by most of us for the long-haul. Almost 30 of the last 50 years in Japan have traded relatively sideways. For most of us, 30 years represents an entire lifetime of investing, and we would certainly look to become something of stock pickers.
I do live in Japan, and have invested here for more than a decade. The arguments in favor of broad diversification and low costs, and against stock picking, are just as true here as they are anywhere else.

For tax reasons I hold individual stocks, tiny little bits each of lots of them held passively, to make a sort-of DIY index fund. I would never try to improve my returns with concentrated stock picks, though. I have no reason to believe that would work.
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

I have some ESPP shares. This is my normal decision-making process when ESPP shares are issued:

1. If the qualifying date is more than a year out, sell all shares immediately.

2. If the qualifying date is only a year out, sell half the shares immediately and sell the other half a year later on the qualifying date.
kingjimmy

Post by kingjimmy »

bpp wrote:
kingjimmy wrote:
I don't need a source for this. It's simple math. A stock can either go up, down, or trade sideways. There's a 33% chance it can go up, a 33% chance it could go down, and a 33% chance it could go sideways.
Those probabilities are not correct.
I do live in Japan, and have invested here for more than a decade. The arguments in favor of broad diversification and low costs, and against stock picking, are just as true here as they are anywhere else.

For tax reasons I hold individual stocks, tiny little bits each of lots of them held passively, to make a sort-of DIY index fund. I would never try to improve my returns with concentrated stock picks, though. I have no reason to believe that would work.
I'm not questioning the idea that we should diversify broadly. And your strategy seems good. I've thought about doing a DYI when it comes to my IRA. If I invest broadly enough in enough stocks for the long haul, I don't have to give Vanguard .05 of my value. But even Mr Bogle says that if you want to have some "fun money" and "gamble" a little bit, he sees nothing wrong with "stock picking" utilizing no more than 5% of your portfolio. Personally I'm young enough and have so little invested within my 401k that my % is greater than this, for now. I've personally got 20% of my portfolio in my company stock, 20% in bonds, and 60% in the Russell 2000 small cap index fund. The way I figure it, half the money in my 401k comes from my company, so, I feel like I've already received a 100% return on my principal. I don't mind the risk for the next couple of years. I'll probably reduce my stock holdings in 5 years or so.

Personally speaking, my father was fully invested in his company stock with his 401k. It was pretty risky, and he definitely was in it for the long-haul, but he'll retire early in 2 years with great comfort. He almost had a heart attack back in 2008 from the market diving. But, his stock rebounded nicely.
Jimmy
bpp

Post by bpp »

kingjimmy wrote: I'm not questioning the idea that we should diversify broadly. And your strategy seems good. I've thought about doing a DYI when it comes to my IRA. If I invest broadly enough in enough stocks for the long haul, I don't have to give Vanguard .05 of my value. But even Mr Bogle says that if you want to have some "fun money" and "gamble" a little bit, he sees nothing wrong with "stock picking" utilizing no more than 5% of your portfolio. Personally I'm young enough and have so little invested within my 401k that my % is greater than this, for now. I've personally got 20% of my portfolio in my company stock, 20% in bonds, and 60% in the Russell 2000 small cap index fund. The way I figure it, half the money in my 401k comes from my company, so, I feel like I've already received a 100% return on my principal. I don't mind the risk for the next couple of years. I'll probably reduce my stock holdings in 5 years or so.

Personally speaking, my father was fully invested in his company stock with his 401k. It was pretty risky, and he definitely was in it for the long-haul, but he'll retire early in 2 years with great comfort. He almost had a heart attack back in 2008 from the market diving. But, his stock rebounded nicely.
If concentrated stock picking is being done for fun and recognized it as a gamble, that's fine I think. Whatever amuses.

If it has the character of a desperate bid to try to make up for unsatisfactory broad market returns, then that sounds like a good way to get hurt.

Perhaps I wrongly interpreted the suggestion as sounding like the latter.
kingjimmy

Post by kingjimmy »

Well, "for fun" I think the "gamble" would only be because you are trying to get a slightly higher return than the broad market return. Which is probably why so many Bogleheads are owning multiple individual stocks in addition to the broad market via an index fund. Some might be taking a DYI approach to indexing. But I'd be willing to bet a lot are doing it so that they might somehow get that extra percent or two of a return.

Personally for me, I'm willing to, right now, take the chance of getting burned. Which is why I own such a large percent of my portfolio in my company's stock. In 5 years when I have a 401k with more than several thousand dollars in it, I probably won't be willing to take that risk.
Jimmy
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

kingjimmy wrote:
Please give me an actual definition of these terms, a definition that would allow your statement to be tested.

a) What is the period of time over which you measure the gain or loss?

b) What are the actual definitions of "up," "down," and "sideways?" For example, Microsoft has gained 17% over the last ten years. Is that "up" or is that "sideways?"

How about Siebert Financial Corporation, down 16% in three years. Is that "down" or "sideways?"

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

stemikger wrote:I voted no. I sold a few shares I had in Disney many years ago.

I don't see any need to own individual stocks. Indexing is too easy and helps me sleep better.
Too bad, you didn't wait for the recovery.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

nisiprius wrote:
kingjimmy wrote:It makes sense to be invested in some common stocks. There is a 2 out of 3 chance your stock wil either stay flat or go up in value.
Forgive me, but people need to stop thinking that way.

First, investing is not an athletic contest, where you get the same medal whether you win by a second or a minute. All probabilities in investing need to be multiplied by their consequences.

Consider the three stocks chosen by Glassman and Hassett in 1999 to illustrate their stock-picking theory involving stocks that show consistent increases in earnings, high growth in earnings, high profit margins,low debt, and managers who own stock.
  • General Electric ("GE is increasing its dividends at twice that pace... [in mid-1999] it was by our conservative standards trading two-thirds below its perfectly reasonable price.")
  • Microsoft ("meets the Schlang criteria with ease.")
  • and Tootsie Roll. ("We're still dazzled by Tootsie Roll.... could triple before bursting out of our comfort zone.")
Whatever you can say, these are nice conservative choices, solid companies, steady dividend payers, etc.

I don't think that in 1999 anybody would have said that these were anything but solid stocks. And yet, from 1999 to today, INCLUDING dividends, three out of three lost money. Every single one of them. Even if it is true that 2 out of 3 go up, it is awfully easy to pick good sound solid stocks that go down.

And if holding for the long term a stock that pays dividends, then even if it stays flat you'll profit from the stock and see gains. Technically should you hold to the 3 portfolio recommendation then holding a profitable stock as a small percentage of your portfolio will allow you to slightly beat the market, so long as your stock moves no less than sideways.
No, only if the stock you pick beats the market.
Everyone is holding Tootsie Roll waiting for their owners to pass on (CEO is in his 90's, his wife in her late 70's early 80's). They are hoping the company is sold for a big sum - it's all about the intangibles here, the book value on this company is much lower than the trading price and assumed intrinsic value. The company's market cap is only $1.8Bn. I think people believe Uncle Warren is going to make a bid for the company.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingjimmy

Post by kingjimmy »

a) What is the period of time over which you measure the gain or loss?

b) What are the actual definitions of "up," "down," and "sideways?" For example, Microsoft has gained 17% over the last ten years. Is that "up" or is that "sideways?"

How about Siebert Financial Corporation, down 16% in three years. Is that "down" or "sideways?"
The time span would be subjective to the individual investor and how close they are to retirement. At 31, I could probably stomach the market trading sideways for 10 years. I probably couldn't do so for 30 years. And by sideways, I would personally say anything that trades within a few percentage points up or down.
Jimmy
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Jfet wrote:
Fortunately(?), the silly announcement usually comes a week or two before the shares vest, so the damage is already done at that point. In any case, my point of view is that if I always sell as soon as I am able, sometimes I'll catch an uptick, sometimes a downtick, and on average it probably washes out.

The much more important issue is exactly what ogd said:
ogd wrote: do I want to invest $XYZ in company stock today
And the answer is always "hell, no" so I sell.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
stemikger wrote:I voted no. I sold a few shares I had in Disney many years ago.

Too bad, you didn't wait for the recovery.
Well that's just it. I didn't buy them myself and I never learned to evaluate a company and even know what to look for, so selling low and buying high would probably have been happening to me more often then not. If I were to own individual stocks, I would stay away from the trading mentality and learn how to evaluate a company like a value investor does (i.e. Warren Buffett) and hold forever. However, I don't have the time or inclination to do that so I'm what Mr. Buffet and Mr. Munger call the no-nothing investor so their advice for guys like me is to just buy an index fund and forget about it.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I went back and re-read everyone's responses. I found this poll and the responses very interesting. If anyone has any additional thoughts and perspectives, by all means, please share.

Thanks!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

abuss368 wrote:I went back and re-read everyone's responses. I found this poll and the responses very interesting. If anyone has any additional thoughts and perspectives, by all means, please share.

Thanks!
Yes - I'm still looking for the next Apple, especially since I didn't win the Powerball on Wednesday. Got any tips?
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Yes - I'm still looking for the next Apple, especially since I didn't win the Powerball on Wednesday. Got any tips?
Well there's always speculation. Twitter is supposed to have an IPO :P

I got in on the FB IPO and got out four hours later when I saw it being propped up. A year and a half later it's finally producing gains. Still, it doesn't belong in my portfolio, just making use of my .05% spec/fun money.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
Hector

Post by Hector »

I do.
I am in minority here. I believe in random walk, but do not buy indexes. All of my equity portfolio is in individual stocks.
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

I've owned shares in Costco for many years. And I have to tell a story. About a year ago I was shopping in Costco and I noticed an employee, who looked to be in his mid-seventies stocking a shelf. My first thought was to feel sorry for the older gentleman, still needing to work at his age. Then I looked closer and noticed it was Jim Sinegal, the co-founder of Costco. He saw me staring at him and came over and shook my hand and asked how I was doing. I told him I thought he was retired and he said he was but still needed to stop in and check in on things every now and then. Here was the retired co-founder of one of the biggest retailers in the world still dropping by the stores and talking with the customers. I was mighty impressed. I've been an admirer of Costco for years and this incident just re-affirmed my faith in the company.

Most of my money is invested in index funds but I do like to put some money in companies that I admire. For the last 10 years I have owned shares in Whole Foods, Costco and Starbucks, and I've owned shares in Morningstar since it went public--I greatly admire the management of all those companies. Oh, and I own one share of Amazon, because I wanted to go to the annual shareholder's meeting to hear Jeff Bezo talk(I live in Seattle), and one share of Berkshire/Hathaway B, in case I ever want to go to that annual meeting and I like getting a print copy of Buffett's annual report.

bg
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I really thought Swisher Hygiene - SWSH - was going to shoot up! Wayne Huizenga of Florida - Waste Management, Blockbuster, Auto Nation, Miami Dolphins, Panthers, Marlins, Republic Services, Extended Stay America - everything he touches turns to gold!
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Used to own Goldman Sachs. Dropped it in mid 2008 when an uneasy feeling rolled over me.

Haven't held an individual stock since.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We have been individual stock free since 2008.
hoopy

Post by hoopy »

I have some stocks left over from my pre-Boglehead days. I will probably hang onto them, they are companies I feel comfortable owning for the long-haul, and I don't feel the need to check on them too often.

Stocks include: Walmart, BRK-B, Mcdonalds, Monsanto, Proctor & Gamble, and a few mega-pharmaceutical manufacturers.

Of course the accumulated dividends all go into VTI every 6 months.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Voted yes. I own shares in 2 companies: I get RSUs and buy shares in my employer's stock and inherited the other. Actually inherited 3, but one went bankrupt and the other, a bank stock, lost 95% value around 2008 so I dumped it - yea for tax write offs.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

My answer was no.

My wife worked for Home Depot while in college and she owned some stock which we sold to help pay for wedding and honeymoon expenses.

I owned some Walmart which I purchased while I worked security details for one of their stores. I sold it as soon as I quit. These two cases are the only times that I have owned individual stocks.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.