What do you do with your cash back rewards?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
OnBoard

What do you do with your cash back rewards?

Post by OnBoard »

I recently got the Fido AmEx. For those of you who have it, or another cash back card, what do you do with your cash back rewards?

Invest? Splurge? Pay down debt? Other?
YttriumNitrate

Re: What do you do with your cash back rewards?

Post by YttriumNitrate »

The Fidelity Amex rebates automatically get put into the primary money market account monthly, so it's super easy to just invest them along with any other contributions/dividends for that month.
cflannagan

Post by cflannagan »

It depends on the rewards card.

For Amazon Rewards card, I can at anytime apply the reward points toward checkout balance.

For Penfed Cash Rewards (which has since been devalued some), I mostly also get Amazon gift cards, but on occasions also get restaurant gift cards (like Red Robin) if it's under "Hot Deal" where we get more than a penny per point.

For Chase Freedom, I mostly apply it directly to the next bill.
greenspam

Post by greenspam »

mine (W-F 1%) goes straight to the mortgage principal on primary home.
typically $50 a month on $5k spending and i always pay cc in full and on time.
as always, | peace, | greenie.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

My cash rewards automatically appear as a credit on my next statement. I like that.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

For Chase Freedom, I buy gift cards when they are offered at savings of 10 to 20%.

For Costco, I have to bring an annual refund check to the store. Spend some of it and take the rest in cash.
dgm

Post by dgm »

I tend to just put it towards the balance.

If I put it towards something else, I am afraid I will unconsciously spend more because I want to 'get more rewards' when I otherwise wouldn't have bought the item in the first place.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

Chase Freedom. I usually buy gift cards with 20% off. With Land Ends sales and the gift card at 20% off I ended up paying 15-20 bucks on dress shirts normally priced at 45-50 dollars.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

I have a Costco Amex and use the reward check to buy groceries.
mhc

Post by mhc »

pennstater2005 wrote:My cash rewards automatically appear as a credit on my next statement. I like that.
I do this with my cap one card.

Easy and requires no manual intervention once it is set up.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

We charge most expenses on the Fidelity Amex, which is linked to my Fidelity SEP-IRA. So the rewards just get dumped in the SEP-IRA automatically. The ratio of self-employment income and cash-back rewards is about right, or close enough, so I just keep this on auto-pilot.

Our other cards are more narrow in scope (Amazon-only, gas-only, Amtrak-only, etc.) and we just take those as cash without worrying about it.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I apply it directly to the next bill.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

U Promise credit card. College rewards credited quarterly to the 529 plans. It is incredible how fast they accumulate.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
MnD

Post by MnD »

Next statement credits on the cash back cards and first class tickets (or first class upgrades) on the miles from miles cards.
Costco Amex sends a paper check annually and that gets spent at Costco.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

YttriumNitrate wrote:The Fidelity Amex rebates automatically get put into the primary money market account monthly, so it's super easy to just invest them along with any other contributions/dividends for that month.
This.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

chaz wrote:I apply it directly to the next bill.
+1
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

cflannagan wrote:For Amazon Rewards card, I can at anytime apply the reward points toward checkout balance.
I've always wondered about this: if you use reward points to pay for a purchase on Amazon, do you still get reward points for said purchase?
cflannagan

Post by cflannagan »

climber2020 wrote:
cflannagan wrote:For Amazon Rewards card, I can at anytime apply the reward points toward checkout balance.
I've always wondered about this: if you use reward points to pay for a purchase on Amazon, do you still get reward points for said purchase?
No, you only collect reward points for anything that's actually charged using Amazon Rewards Card. So, no points for using points ;)
icefr

Post by icefr »

For my Amazon.com visa, I used to take it as a statement credit once it reaches $20. Now I transfer it to checking and make a payment on my mortgage with it. I'll go back to statement credits once I close the checking account in a few more months. Statement credits reduce the auto-pay on the visa, so that results in a bit of 'excess' money in my checking account.

I used to use the Amazon.com points at checkout until I realized you could apply a statement credit instead. Otherwise, I was losing 3 points on my Amazon.com purchases...

For my credit union visa, they automatically deposit the rewards in my savings account each month. I transfer them to checking and then round them up with the 'excess' money in my checking and send that to the mortgage at the end of the month.

I haven't decided what I'll do with the Fidelity Amex rewards yet, but they will be auto-deposited into the Cash Management account. It'll probably only cash out a couple times a year though since the minimum to cash out is $50 and my spending is fairly low. I'll either try to send it to the mortgage directly or send it to my primary checking account and then it'll get rounded up.

Once the mortgage is paid off, then the 'excess' in checking will be sent to taxable investments.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Gift cards. I usually redeem all my points towards the end of the year and use the gift cards for Christmas purchases.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

cflannagan wrote:
climber2020 wrote:
No, you only collect reward points for anything that's actually charged using Amazon Rewards Card. So, no points for using points ;)
If that is the case, isn't it counterproductive to use points for purchases? I'd rather redeem my points in the form of a cash check and use a credit card to buy things so the points continue to rack up.
mhop

Post by mhop »

For the Fidelity Amex Retirement Awards people:

Does cash back count towards the annual IRA contribution limit or does another account get created outside of your IRA which you can use to transfer money in?
cflannagan

Post by cflannagan »

climber2020 wrote:
cflannagan wrote:
climber2020 wrote:
If that is the case, isn't it counterproductive to use points for purchases? I'd rather redeem my points in the form of a cash check and use a credit card to buy things so the points continue to rack up.
Yep, I guess you're right. Does Amazon Rewards even allow me to redeem points in form of cash check or some other forms?
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

We get cash rewards from Chase Freedom and Costco Amex. I cash the Costco Amex and put it in my Christmas fund. I also take the Chase rewards cash in Nov and put that in the Christmas fund.
icefr

Post by icefr »

cflannagan wrote:
climber2020 wrote:
cflannagan wrote:
climber2020 wrote:
Yep, I guess you're right. Does Amazon Rewards even allow me to redeem points in form of cash check or some other forms?
Yep. You can log onto the Chase website and ask for a statement credit or a deposit to a Chase banking account, if you have one. That's what I do. You just have to have accumulated more than $20 or 2,000 points.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

mhop wrote:For the Fidelity Amex Retirement Awards people:
Does cash back count towards the annual IRA contribution limit or does another account get created outside of your IRA which you can use to transfer money in?
I've got a taxable account and an IRA account at Fidelity. The rebates go into the money market fund of the taxable account and then can be transferred over. I'm not sure how it would work if you only had an IRA.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Besides the U Pormise card that I noted above, the only other rewards card that caught my attention is the home mortgage one from Wells Fargo. The rewards are credited to the mortgage pay down. Interesting.

Has anyone used that card?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

P&C actuary wrote:For Costco, I have to bring an annual refund check to the store. Spend some of it and take the rest in cash.
I got my check last week and took it to Costco. The clerk (mega-efficient guy to whom I always go for checkout) said to put the purchases on the Amex card and take the check value in cash, so as to get the reward on the card.
Toons

Post by Toons »

With my Amazon Rewards card I buy more Stuff from Amazon :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

YttriumNitrate wrote:
mhop wrote:For the Fidelity Amex Retirement Awards people:
I've got a taxable account and an IRA account at Fidelity. The rebates go into the money market fund of the taxable account and then can be transferred over. I'm not sure how it would work if you only had an IRA.
The rewards would not allow you to exceed your regular contribution limits.

My personal rewards go into our children's 529 accounts.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden »

Discover and Chase Freedom: redeem for gift cards with 10-20% discounts (restaurants, department stores, etc.).
Amazon Rewards: redeem for direct discount at Amazon.
AMEX Blue Cash Preferred: just started using this card, so not sure yet.
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Vacation slush fund.
teacher

Post by teacher »

Nana Money :happy
yukon50

Post by yukon50 »

Does anyone transfer Chase Freedom points to miles partners? Or save them to use them for 1.25 cents on flights?
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

yukon50 wrote:Does anyone transfer Chase Freedom points to miles partners? Or save them to use them for 1.25 cents on flights?
I don't know how to do this. I've looked specifically for this on the UltimatemRewards page and have not found a way. I thought it was onkynpossible with the Sapphire card.
sesq

Post by sesq »

ddunca1944 wrote:
yukon50 wrote:Does anyone transfer Chase Freedom points to miles partners? Or save them to use them for 1.25 cents on flights?
I don't know how to do this. I've looked specifically for this on the UltimatemRewards page and have not found a way. I thought it was onkynpossible with the Sapphire card.
You need to pair the Freedom with either the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Ink Bold or Ink Plus to do this. I think the Ink Bold/Plus is the best all around card on the block (good sign up bonus, good category spend multipliers, good cash out options, Chase will waive the annual fee on retentions if there is enough spend (unlike CSP)). Its meant for businesses, but folks have been known to get them with liberal definitions of businesses (e-bay selling, etc).

To answer the OP, I milk sign on bonuses and redeem for my annual family vacations, or take statement credits on the pure cashback cards.
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

sesq wrote:
ddunca1944 wrote:
You need to pair the Freedom with either the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Ink Bold or Ink Plus to do this. I think the Ink Bold/Plus is the best all around card on the block (good sign up bonus, good category spend multipliers, good cash out options, Chase will waive the annual fee on retentions if there is enough spend (unlike CSP)). Its meant for businesses, but folks have been known to get them with liberal definitions of businesses (e-bay selling, etc).

To answer the OP, I milk sign on bonuses and redeem for my annual family vacations, or take statement credits on the pure cashback cards.
Thanks for that info. I don't have (or want) the Sapphire Preferred or the Ink Cards....
Alexandria

Post by Alexandria »

Put it all to mortgage (only debt).

Fidelity rewards go directly into my Roth. Since I'd max out anyway, I usually just pay equal amount to mortgage. All other rewards are literally cash in hand.
yukon50

Post by yukon50 »

sesq wrote:
ddunca1944 wrote:

Yes, this is true. You need to pair with one of the transferable cards.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I manually request a statement credit and then go out for a nice steak dinner for roughly that amount.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

Chase Freedom - I buy Christmas gifts through the Ultimate Rewards website on Cyber Monday. Last year wasn't too good but the year before I got my girlfriend a $600 iPad for 48,000 pts ≈ $480; 20% off! Or, since it's linked to my Amazon account, I spend the points there. Last year I bought my parents a Roomba, for free!
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

OnBoard wrote:I recently got the Fido AmEx. For those of you who have it, or another cash back card, what do you do with your cash back rewards?

Invest? Splurge? Pay down debt? Other?
My Fido AmEx is auto payed and the 2% rewards auto redeemed & auto invested into a 529 account every month. I'm lazy, and really like everything automated.
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
JPH

Post by JPH »

I apply it to my balance.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
blurryvision

Post by blurryvision »

Me and my wife use our Chase Ultimate Rewards points and convert them to United Airlines or Southwest Airlines miles. We haven't paid for a domestic or international flight over the the past 2 years! This is not counting taxes and fuel charges. While getting cash back can be sensible, we find it rather boring and find it more exciting to redeem our points for free flights, which can be worth much more than 1 point = 1 cent value.

Note: in order to transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points you need a premium Chase card such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Chase Ink Bold / Ink Plus Business cards. These cards do have $95 annual fees, but the fee can be worth it especially if the points are used for far more expensive flights.

More discussion on frequent flyer miles can be found at flyertalk.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I personally find these sorts of questions funny. What do you do with your cash back? What do you do with your tax return?

One of my financial goals is to retire comfortably. Investing excites me more than spending.
cflannagan

Post by cflannagan »

Hector wrote:I personally find these sorts of questions funny. What do you do with your cash back? What do you do with your tax return?

One of my financial goals is to retire comfortably. Investing excites me more than spending.
Not only do we all invest, we all spend as well. Might as well see how far we can stretch our dollars when we spend.

I get back in tune of $500-$600 plus back a year. Nothing to sneeze at.

If you want to disregard $500-$600 a year, you might as well ignore ER of funds you invest in completely and go with a higher ER. After all, maybe you do find $500-$600 as something to sneeze at.
market timer

Post by market timer »

I've recently switched to the Barclays Arrival card for everyday spending: 2.2 cents back per dollar spent if redeemed for travel.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

The same thing as with the rest of the cash I get from my salary.

The cash back gets automatically deposited to my Fidelity Cash account, which is the main account out of which we pay our bills and everything else, including the auto-pay to both the Fidelity VISA and Amex, and the twice a month contributions to our Vanguard account ;)
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

climber2020 wrote:
cflannagan wrote:
climber2020 wrote:

That is the case with Capital one - but it's only a 2% hit (so if I redeem $2,000 in points, I only lose $40). Capital one, for maximum percentage the redemption need to be travel related.