Building new house - central vacuum worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gort

Building new house - central vacuum worth it?

Post by Gort »

Friends,
I'm in the process of having a new house built. For those of you who have experience with central vacuums, do you find that was money well spent for the appliance?
Thanks,
Gort
pdc3610

Re: Building new house - central vacuum worth it?

Post by pdc3610 »

My wife and I have lived in a house without and now one with central vacuum. We did not build either so it wasn't a decision we made based on cost of the "add-on." We do like the central vacuum and are glad we have it.

Cheers
Rlc250

Post by Rlc250 »

We have built 3 houses and had central vac in all three. So much more convenient and lighter to move around. We would not be without it.
wingnutty

Post by wingnutty »

We moved into a house that has central vac. We don't really care for it and don't really use it at all. I would never spend money to put it in. We have a dyson and it is just easier to move that from room to room than it is the central vac hose. With the quality of today's vacuums, I just don't see the need for central vac. I mean, you still have to haul around vac hose, so I fail to see how there is a reduction in time and hassle, plus, I think it is actually more of a pain to lug the vacuum hose around than it is to roll the dyson around.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

My wife has a house cleaning business and they will not use folks central vacs although they are usually offered. I know she's tried them with unsatisfactory results, but I don't know why.
Regards | Bob
stan1

Post by stan1 »

No, after some period of time they break/wear out and parts can't be replaced.
We've found it easier to have an upright and canister in the house (one downstairs, one upstairs).
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

I had one in a previous residence. Worth its weight in gold. Sure beats dragging a vacuum around, up and down stairs, around furniture. Much easier to store the hose than a vacuum.

Although I was young when I had this, it also occurs to me that it would be easier for older people than a regular vacuum.
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

wingnutty wrote:We moved into a house that has central vac. We don't really care for it and don't really use it at all. I would never spend money to put it in. We have a dyson and it is just easier to move that from room to room than it is the central vac hose. With the quality of today's vacuums, I just don't see the need for central vac. I mean, you still have to haul around vac hose, so I fail to see how there is a reduction in time and hassle, plus, I think it is actually more of a pain to lug the vacuum hose around than it is to roll the dyson around.
+1 We've had a central vac for 22 years. It still works but I quit using it about 5 years ago or longer. The hose and attachments take up a lot of room to store. The suction isn't as good as a regular sweeper. When dragging the hose around wall-corners it gets the wall dirty, because the cloth-hose-cover drags along your floors and gets dirty. It is a huge!!!!! hassle to remove it, wash it and put it back on.

They work well on tile and wood floors, not so good for carpet, because they don't have the suction power of a regular sweeper. I have a lot of tile but I wouldn't put another one in.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

I use an upright Hoover Pet Car model for most if my vacuuming. It has a handy dandy rubber brush so hairs can be scraped off instead of getting caught in vinyl fibers. It also has a mini roller attachment that basically gives me a smaller, lighter version of the rubber rollers at the end of the hose. I use both of these to vacuum my carpeted stairs with my central vacuum. Absolutely love it. Because of the pets, I had to wear earplugs and sit down by the vacuum motor and play a balancing game with it on the stairs. That was annoying after two weeks and the past two years, I've used the central vac for the stairs. I also use he central vacuum in the garage to clean the cars. That said, everywhere else in the house, I use the upright.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

i've had central vac for 23 years. like it but-you have to remember to clean out the canister. it works best the emptier the canister is. we always forget and then find the canister to be overloaded when it dawns on us the vacuum does not seem to be working well. :oops:
lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne »

My current house has a central vacuum. I certainly wouldn't pay to have one installed but it has pretty good suction - it's 13 years old & I don't think you'd get as good suction out of most 13 year old vacuums (perhaps you would from a Kirby). It has a 50 foot hose which takes up as much space as a vacuum. For an older person for whom a vacuum is too heavy, the hose might be lighter, but it also is a tripping hazard. For whatever reason, my central vac won't turn on until the part you shove into the wall is in as tight as possible, & I don't think an older person could exert enough force to do this. As long as it continues to work, I'll use it but if it dies, I'm not sure I'd fix it. It depends on how long it is before it dies (the longer it is, the more likely I'd fix it) & how much fixing it would cost. Mine is a Bemis (? - not sure on spelling).
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

House I bought had one in it. I asked a contractor what he thought of them. "They are something that someone with too much money installs."

I removed it and never looked back. My housekeeper brings her own equipment and supplies.
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

The central vac hose is far more cumbersome than a vacuum with wheels. We have two vacuums -- one for each floor so we don't have to lug it up and down the stairs. Still way cheaper than a central vac.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
asc8u

Post by asc8u »

I think they're great. We put one in our house that we built a few years ago.

Get a kick plate for the kitchen so you can just sweep everything on the floor away. Also if you have a large house, it helps to get an extra hose so you don't have to lug it around.

I think they're helpful for having less dust. I also like how you don't get as hot when you vacuum because the central vacuum is in the garage instead of blowing hot air next to you. Lastly, the vacuum trap is large and bagless - I only have to empty it out once every 4-6 months.

But one downside (at least with our model) is that I don't think it actually vacuums carpets as well as a top brand upright vacuum cleaner. It does a good job but not great.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

the best reason to put in a central vac system. it's cheap to put in a new house and it helps in re-sale of the house.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

Yes, if you get the right one. I have one now, but have had several brands in different homes. The important things I consider.

1. Get one with a disposable bag. It is cleaner, easier to empty, and protects the motor.
2. Do NOT get a contractor's special. It was inferior to a brand name and did not work as well.
3. You can get a power brush in two different methodologies. If electricity is supplied to the hose, a power brush with be activated by plugging it into the wall outlet. If no electricity, you can use an air-powered model.
4. To prevent marring the walls, especially around corners, buy a "hose sock" which fits over the hose and protects walls and furniture from abrasion.
5. New wans are expandable with the push of a button to reach the ceiling and under deep spaces. I really like this feature on my latest model.
6. If you put a hose outlet in the garage purchase a special hose so not to get the house hose dirty. Same thing applies to the basement.
7. You can hang the hose on a small plastic garden hose reel in a closet.
central nj

Post by central nj »

Also, with a central vac, 100% of vacuumed air including all smells and dust is exhausted outside, no special filter needed, and no way for the air to recirculate.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

For me, as I alluded to earlier, was because working on the stairs required me to get down to the floor with the upright motor right next to my ears and juggling an upright that is twice the size of a single step. My ears no longer ring from vacuuming and I no longer have the upright falling down the stairs. Definitely worth it for me.

Beyond the stairs and the occasional use for the cars in the garage, it's all upright for me.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

central nj wrote:Also, with a central vac, 100% of vacuumed air including all smells and dust is exhausted outside, no special filter needed, and no way for the air to recirculate.
When we had one when I was a kid, the unit was in the basement.

Brian
coacher

Post by coacher »

If you have a dog that sheds a lot (or plan to get one), it's incredibly useful to have and very convenient (empty cannister once every couple of weeks). Otherwise it's probably a push.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

From personal experience, I think it's great for a two-story home, but if we had a one-story home,I probably wouldn't spend the extra money.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

For me, it's a prime example of an overengineered solution to a pretty simple task.

**I accept that we all place different values on some of our "stuff"**
Last edited by obgraham on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kramer

Post by kramer »

Interesting. I had never even heard of such a thing before reading this thread.
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

We had one installed when we built 6 years ago. I like it (we have two dogs). DH is less enamoured with it. YMMV. I do expect that it would help with resale value.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

BolderBoy wrote:House I bought had one in it. I asked a contractor what he thought of them. "They are something that someone with too much money installs."

I removed it and never looked back. My housekeeper brings her own equipment and supplies.
Your housekeeper should be the one replying :-)
sesq

Post by sesq »

We had one in the last house. It was nothing special. My mother has one with a kick-plate in the kitchen in her house. That is pretty handy, but not sure how much I'd pay for it.
AdamFist

Post by AdamFist »

There are houses in our new construction neighborhood that have built in central vacuums. I considered the convenience but instead felt that the money was better spent upgrading other areas (e.g. foam insulation, etc.).
Munir

Post by Munir »

Gort wrote:Friends,
I'm in the process of having a new house built. For those of you who have experience with central vacuums, do you find that was money well spent for the appliance?
Thanks,
Gort
Definitely yes.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

frugaltype wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:House I bought had one in it. I asked a contractor what he thought of them. "They are something that someone with too much money installs."

Your housekeeper should be the one replying :-)
Perhaps, but part of the test for employee v. contractor is "who supplies the tools". Some professional housekeepers insist on using their own tools to help stay on the right side of the IRS.
mikestorm

Post by mikestorm »

SnapShots wrote:
wingnutty wrote:We moved into a house that has central vac. We don't really care for it and don't really use it at all. I would never spend money to put it in. We have a dyson and it is just easier to move that from room to room than it is the central vac hose. With the quality of today's vacuums, I just don't see the need for central vac. I mean, you still have to haul around vac hose, so I fail to see how there is a reduction in time and hassle, plus, I think it is actually more of a pain to lug the vacuum hose around than it is to roll the dyson around.
+1 We've had a central vac for 22 years. It still works but I quit using it about 5 years ago or longer. The hose and attachments take up a lot of room to store. The suction isn't as good as a regular sweeper. When dragging the hose around wall-corners it gets the wall dirty, because the cloth-hose-cover drags along your floors and gets dirty. It is a huge!!!!! hassle to remove it, wash it and put it back on.

They work well on tile and wood floors, not so good for carpet, because they don't have the suction power of a regular sweeper. I have a lot of tile but I wouldn't put another one in.
+1
Bought a house last year with central vac installed. Between SnapShots and wingnutty, they have perfectly encapsulated what it's like. We use the Dyson.

That said, somehting that we don't have in our system is a sweep inlet in the kitchen. Google them. Pretty cool. I'd use the system more if we had those strategically placed around our hardwood floors.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

I can see some of the benefits that people are mentioning, but it does seem like the cumbersomeness (word?) of the vacuum hose is higher than a regular vacuum, but that weight and maneuverability are better. It surprises me that I rarely see or hear of anyone who uses the commercial-style backpack-based vacuums. You still have the added weight, of course, but assuming you don't have any health/mobility issues that preclude wearing a backpack, you'd have a far easier time maneuvering the actual suction part. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-C2401-Shou ... m_sbs_hg_5
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

That's funny, I always say the same thing about having a housekeeper :D
davebarnes

Had one, don't now, unhappy

Post by davebarnes »

We had one for 24 years. Loved it.
Moved into new house and found out that we cannot have one installed as our house is too modern. Unhappy.
A nerd living in Denver
hexturtle

Post by hexturtle »

I have a central vac and I use it on hard floors but not on carpets as the suction is not very good. It's okay for picking up dust bunnies. The hose is very cumbersome and awkward to take up and down the stairs. It is a tripping hazard and it takes up a lot of space. We had the outlets taped up for a few years when our son was little as he liked putting his toys in there. I wouldn't get one. My upright vaccum is just as easy to take up and down the stairs.
scooter

Post by scooter »

I installed my own system 25 years ago in an existing house and my wife loves it. I installed one outlet on 2nd floor and two on first floor.
I have one in the cellar and wish I had installed on in the garage.

Only have to empty it every 3-4 months which takes two minutes.

The 25 foot hose and attachments take up less space in closet than regular vac.

One repair in 25 years. Mine is a HP vacuflo

It will be very to install when walls are open than later on.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I had one friend who had this in an existing house he purchased. He never liked it and often noted he preferred a simple vaccum.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Enoughsaid

Post by Enoughsaid »

Had central vac system last 5 houses over the last 26 years. We have had it builted in with new houses and added it with existing homes. Love it!
The key is, like with anything, is getting a good one and someone who really knows how to properly install it. Our favorite has been Vacuflow, it's been the only one we have used. Fortunately, it was our first, and it has continued to evolve to be even better over the years. Now, they have a feature called Hide a Hose, where the hose comes out of the wall on each floor and then retracts back into the wall when your done. Love it!
We have a lab/retriever dog and a Himalayan cat. No matter what regular vacuum you get, it's going to recirculate most everything back into your house, including smells. With central vac everything goes into the garage container. Plus the one I get, there isn't a vacuum with a bigger motor, so I always have the best suction. The hide-a-hose is very light weight, stairs and everything else is a breeze. Plus it's so much easier pulling the hose off the wand and vacuuming furniture, corners, a cob web or wall board or whatever needs extra attention as you are vacuuming and it reaches everything cause you can have up to a 50ft hose depending on the size of your home. And, no I don't have any afiliation with any vacuum company, we have lived in 5 different states and I always seek them out. However, I always tell them I would make a great spokesman for them .
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

We've had our home for 22 years, and it has a central vac. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't have it. Even though e keep a " sock" on the hose, dragging the hose against baseboard corners is hard on the paint. And no matter how careful, it still happens. I find it more difficult, physically , for me to use the built-in vac than a lightweight Dyson that cleans just as well

However, I do like that the noise is contained in the garage and not where I'm using it. So given the choice, I would opt out of the built in vac. And if I had a two-story house, I would have a Dyson for each floor so I wouldn't need to carry it up and down the stairs.
Mintee

Post by Mintee »

Yes! Good luck.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

No.
Vacuum on every floor is the way to go. Long term, even 3 high-end Dysons will be cheaper.

Post by 123 »

A portable vacuum can be replaced for under $500 (in most cases) if it conks out. If your central vacuum needed repairs what are the chances that they can be accomplished for $500 or less? Just having someone come out to the house for an estimate is certainly going to be over $100 alone. And how long will it take to get repair parts 5 or 10 years from now when the models have changed?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

arsenalfan wrote:No.
Vacuum on every floor is the way to go. Long term, even 3 high-end Dysons will be cheaper.
+1

We just have a Meile on each floor. Personally I would just have one, but wife wanted two. Sure, maybe when I am 80 lifting 15 lbs or whatever up the stairs might be hard, but as a spry 60 years old it just ain't that hard. Shoot, if that gets hard we'll probably just be in a single floor apartment or unit in some old folks home. :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

I just bought a house which has it. I never even heard of it before.
The previous owner of 10 years never used it.

I don't even know how to use it or what I need to buy or how to turn it on.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

Have one, don't use it. Two reasons:

1) Unless you have an retractable hose reel built into or onto the wall, you're going to have to manually wind and unwind the hose from some sort of hose reel. This is more work than carrying around a lightweight vacuum.
2) If you have a big house, you'll want a long hose (which means more work...see #1). If not, you'll have to move your hose from outlet to outlet as you clean. A regular vacuum cord is lighter and easier to tote around.

Are you going to buy or install a separate hose for both upstairs and downstairs? If not, plan on lugging it around even more.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

One of the first things we did back in 1997 when we moved into our current house was have a central vac system installed. Love it.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

obgraham wrote:For me, it's a prime example of an overengineered solution to a pretty simple task.
Great comment.

We have it in our house and never use it. The hose is heavy and cumbersome to move around, making a regular vacuum much easier to use. Also, the suction is not as strong as with the regular vacuum.

One vacuum per floor is a great idea. I know people who have done that. We just vacuum our way up the stairs with ours.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Ninnie wrote:
obgraham wrote:For me, it's a prime example of an overengineered solution to a pretty simple task.
Great comment.

We have it in our house and never use it. The hose is heavy and cumbersome to move around, making a regular vacuum much easier to use. Also, the suction is not as strong as with the regular vacuum.

One vacuum per floor is a great idea. I know people who have done that. We just vacuum our way up the stairs with ours.
I agree. Plus for the cost of one service call on the system you can buy a vacuum.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

surfhb wrote:No wonder we are a bunch a fat slobs. :D

God forbid you actually need to carry the vacuum to the room you're cleaning.
This post made me laugh.

I have a Miele that I like. But I also have a small cordless because I'm lazy. The little cordless is nice for just a quick spot clean.

I suspect that in about 5 years cordless will be the future (about 10% battery improvements every year) so that would be another 60% gain in energy storage.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

finite_difference wrote:
surfhb wrote:No wonder we are a bunch a fat slobs. :D

God forbid you actually need to carry the vacuum to the room you're cleaning.
This post made me laugh.

I have a Miele that I like. But I also have a small cordless because I'm lazy. The little cordless is nice for just a quick spot clean.

I suspect that in about 5 years cordless will be the future (about 10% battery improvements every year) so that would be another 60% gain in energy storage.
You may be right. My wife recently bought a little cordless Bissell to keep in the kitchen closet since that is the area most commonly with small messes (and adjacent mudroom). I did not expect it to work very well, but I am impressed. What is needed in my opinion even more than more energy storage are batteries with a longer useful life. A well made electric motor with a cord will work for decades.

Or I suppose replacement batteries that are cheaper.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

Default User BR wrote:
central nj wrote:Also, with a central vac, 100% of vacuumed air including all smells and dust is exhausted outside, no special filter needed, and no way for the air to recirculate.
When we had one when I was a kid, the unit was in the basement.

Brian
Yes, ours is in the basement and it's exhaust vent goes directly outside - where the dust goes.
I like this feature the best.