Stumped by a Stump

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Valdeselad

Stumped by a Stump

Post by Valdeselad »

I need some advice removing a pesky stump that remains from cutting a tree down.

I should clarify a bit. I live in Texas and this was really just a weed that turned into a (rather large) tree. Some friends of mine helped to cut the tree down and haul it away, but the stump remains. At the suggestion of a relative, I purchased some Stump Out from Lowes (white powder) and poured in a series of deep and wide holes I had drilled out of the stump. That was 6 weeks ago. Today, the stump seems to be quite hearty, with no real sign of degradation.

So, I am calling on the experienced Bogleheads for help. Home Depot sells a liquid stump remover (Spectracide) that I was considering trying. Your stories of success and frustration are welcome!
walkabout

Re: Stumped by a Stump

Post by walkabout »

Here is a link that describes how to hasten the rotting process of the stump:

http://landscaping.about.com/cs/lazylan ... emoval.htm

Note that I have not tried this.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

I usually cut it as low to the ground as possible and cover it with landscape fabric and mulch. Then check back in a few years and chop out what remains.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

If you want a stump removed quickly, the process is called stump grinding. You call a stump grinding service, and the guy comes out with what looks like a giant saw mounted on wheels, and grinds away the stump in the same way you would used a chainsaw. It doesn't take long, though it's not especially cheap, as those grinder machines are expensive and take a fair bit of maintenance. You end up with a pile of wood chips.

The process of letting the stump rot (with or without chemical assistance) generally takes years, depending on climate and type of tree. The third option, of chopping, digging, and prying, might save you the cost of a gym membership, but cost you some trips to the chiropracter :happy
Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo »

If you are not too close to your neighbors, we just pour diesel fuel on it and set it on fire.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

I've dealt with a ton of these on my lot. Your best options for quick removal are:

1. Dig it out
2. Attach a come-along to a nearby fence post or something and pull it out
3. Attach to a truck/hitch and rip it out
4. Call a stump grinding / tree service to remove it

How big is the stump?
izreel

Post by izreel »

You've got to call a stump grinder. I had a few done last year. I believe I paid around $75 per stump.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

guitarguy wrote:I've dealt with a ton of these on my lot. Your best options for quick removal are:

1. Dig it out
2. Attach a come-along to a nearby fence post or something and pull it out
3. Attach to a truck/hitch and rip it out
4. Call a stump grinding / tree service to remove it

How big is the stump?
I typically use a combination of digging and a come along. It works best if you can alternate pulling in opposite directions. If it's a larger stump pick something much more stout than a fence post, like the base of a large tree.

However, if you've already cut it down to the ground you've likely eliminated options 2 and 3 since you no longer have a place to attach a chain and have also eliminated your good friend - leverage. In that case, I'd call for a stump grinder if you want it gone right away.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
TRC

Post by TRC »

Hire someone to come in and grind it down with a Stump Grinder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4jqehT6CXY
OAG

Post by OAG »

In my experiences with stump removal (thankfully retired from that chore now too) what I found works best and as mentioned cheapest and quickest is the manual method. As mentioned they generally will not come out until the TAP root is severed so that should be the goal. Starting to dig too close to the stump will make the job harder overall as the minor roots will be harder to cut. I usually used a full sized axe a pointed shovel and as big a branch cutter that I had or could borrow. Dig almost straight down until you can go under to the tap root usually dead center of the stump. By the way if you plan ahead to use the manual method leaving about four feet of tree above the ground will give you a lot of leverage to move the stump when it gets loose or to pull the stump out using a chain and a truck after it gets loose. Fun work.

FI We were posting at the same time :D .
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

FrugalInvestor wrote:However, if you've already cut it down to the ground you've likely eliminated options 2 and 3 since you no longer have a place to attach a chain and have also eliminated your good friend - leverage. In that case, I'd call for a stump grinder if you want it gone right away.
If you still have a few inches above ground you can dig down below grade 6-8" and then loop a good sturdy rope or nylon strap around the bottom.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

If you're reasonably comfortable with power equipment, small stump grinders can be rented. I'm assuming the stump is relatively small as it was an overgrown weed and you handled the cutting down on your without a professional.

Brian
Topic Author
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

Default User BR wrote:If you're reasonably comfortable with power equipment, small stump grinders can be rented. I'm assuming the stump is relatively small as it was an overgrown weed and you handled the cutting down on your without a professional.

Brian
You're correct, the stump is not that big since it started as a weed. However, it grew impressively and the remaining stump is not insignificant. There are also numerous runner roots that go in every direction and are substantial in their own right. I constantly kick myself for not pulling that weed up when I had the chance.

In addition to the chemical treatment I applied 6 weeks ago, I have been slowly taking parts of the runners with a reciprocating saw, with the goal that I will eventually get this thing out of the ground, little by little. However, the density of the wood pulp is surprising and I feel like I am making very little progress.
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

For a stump small as this one seems - I would rent a stump grinder from Home Depot or other rental place - I would think you could take care of it quickly. 6 weeks after a stump out treatment is really not a long time.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

You can rent small stump grinders. Should make a quick job of it.

Check Home Depot, Lowe's, local tool rental stores.

See if your neighbors could also use it. Split the cost.

(added) Replacing and cleaning up a fence line.

Starting condition: falling down split-cedar privacy fence and a jungle of plants growing into overhead lines.

Ending condition: contracted neighbor-friendly, maintenance-free vinyl privacy fence and clean grass lawn. (We split the cost. I did the un-contracted work.)

Most of the jungle was shredded to become compost, the larger woody pieces became firewood, the old fence was cut up for firewood, the large fence post were marked "free" and placed by the curb.

Used a come-along (horizontal pull) and chain to remove several small trees and wide low-growing junipers with shallow roots from along fence line. Dug trench around each stump to attach chain as low as possible. Attached come-along to large tree. Was amazed by how tenacious were the junipers' numerous shallow roots. Bent the come along frame (handle attachment point) before it was all done. Eventually discovered it helped to fill the hole around each plant with water (after hooking up to avoid getting wet feet) to help the roots release.

A high-lift jack (vertical pull) and water hose jet nozzle (to loosen ground's hold around post) works well on large, deep fence posts. Never tried this idea on larger stumps with deep irregular roots. But knowing the difficulty of removing wide shallow junipers and after seeing stump grinders in actions, believe that to be the easiest way to go for quick stump removal.
Last edited by dratkinson on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Topic Author
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

YttriumNitrate wrote:Unless you're grinding/pulling it out, stump removal can be a slow process. After cutting the tree, drill holes into the stump and then wait a few months for it to dry out a bit. Next, pour stump remover into those holes and wait 3-6 months. Finally, soak the stump in kerosene and burn it out. Even the burning process is slow. I had a 4 foot diameter ash tree stump smolder and burn for a whole week, so make a good fire ring around the stump.
I am hesitant to add fuel and burn it out due to the close proximity of neighbor homes.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Just pay the money and have someone grind it out. I had a neighbor once who messed around with a stump for years and never got it completely out.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Steady59

Post by Steady59 »

Dig down a bit to expose the roots. Put a nice piece of stretchy rope around the stump. Attach the other end to the bumper of a car with a good bit of slack in between. Get a good running head start with the car and jerk that bad boy right out. Might take a coupe of tries. When it comes out, just keep going so the stump doesn't hit the car.

I'm kidding of course. Please don't do this or if you do, please get a video and share it with us.

Pay the $ and get it ground out. Should take 30 minutes.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

I haven't removed a stump personally, but as someone who will probably end up blowing off one of my appendages, I'd try a method that involved black powder. :oops:
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Valdeselad wrote: I am hesitant to add fuel and burn it out due to the close proximity of neighbor homes.
Well, I guess that rules out ANFO. :)

You did not mention the species of tree, but one of the benefits of some of the chemicals is that they kill all the roots and stop them from sprouting suckers. Some of the nastier trees can send up sprouts even after you grind the stump.
Topic Author
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

guitarguy wrote: How big is the stump?
Not exactly certain, but I'm going to say about a foot in diameter, give or take a bit.
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

A foot? You should be able to dig that out. Buy a $20 pick axe and dig around in a circle.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Recruit a few hungry termites. :D
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
scubadiver

Post by scubadiver »

scubadiver
Last edited by scubadiver on Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Removing a stump by hand is good exercise. This is what Saturdays are for. Plus your spouse will admire how strong you are becoming.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
kksmom

Post by kksmom »

Have removed with farm jack.
birdy

Post by birdy »

I too live in Texas! Just recently I read how to get rid of a stump. Drill holes down into stump and fill holes with pure epson salt. Water it in and the stump is supposed to rot away. Anyone else heard of doing this?

birdy
2comma

Post by 2comma »

Never had any luck with chemicals or burning. For anything over 18" I'd call a stump grinder and make sure he goes to the depth you want. You'll get some good mulch BTW. For anything smaller I use a good ax (on the roots) and a shovel. Then I use a chain to a pickup. Not as hard to do as you'd think. I lived in a city where the rule was if you got it to the street they had to remove it. An old retired guy, probably with more time than money, had a 3' stump by the street. It took him weeks to dig it out but when finished, the city rented a 10 ton crane to put it into a dump truck. Problem solved!

I get great kudos from my neighbors every time I've dug out a stump. The trick is to have a good ax, reasonable health, and a fire in the belly! If your lacking in any of three just call a stump grinder and be done with it.
If I am stupid I will pay.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

6 weeks really isn't enough time to let the chemical do its thing, particularly if the stump was still "wet" when it was applied. And did you also apply a woody stump killer to the stump and all of its runners? The Stump Out brand does not contain a stump killer chemical. It's meant to be used on dead, dry stumps. If you haven't applied stump killer, you'll be playing "whack a mole" with the root system for years as new runners pop up from the still living root system.
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

Put a flower pot on it and enjoy!
pjstack
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

pennstater2005 wrote:Just pay the money and have someone grind it out. I had a neighbor once who messed around with a stump for years and never got it completely out.
+1 This is twenty minutes work for a stump grinding company.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

pjstack wrote:Put a flower pot on it and enjoy!
Those are so ugly :-)
Ged

Post by Ged »

birdy wrote:I too live in Texas! Just recently I read how to get rid of a stump. Drill holes down into stump and fill holes with pure epson salt. Water it in and the stump is supposed to rot away. Anyone else heard of doing this?

birdy
Epson salts are not useful in stump removal. However they will kill the stump and prevent it from sprouting new growth.

The problem with chemicals is that over the last billion or so years trees have evolved a pretty robust chemical structure on their own that is resistant to rot, fungus, insects etc. It's why they can live a thousand years or more. It's why paper documents can last thousands of years in storage. Anything that's likely to quickly degrade a stump is also likely to leave a nasty residue that will be a detriment to the general area for a good long while.

I'd really go with the suggestions here for mechanical approaches - by hand or machine depending on your ambition.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Here is a very inexpensive and easy way to remove it.
I've had to remove about a dozen stumps in the past few years. Most were only 12-16 inches across. This is what I did. Get a small roll of 12" sheet metal. You can find it at Lowes or Home Depot, usually in the HVAC or roofing section. Also pick up a medium size bag of easy light charcoal and a few sheet metal screws. Make a circle out of the sheet metal that will circle the stump with about 2 inches to spare all around. Dump in the bag of charcoal. It should, at least, completely cover the stump. Clear an area around the stump ( to prevent stray sparks from catching mulch on fire etc.) then light the charcoal. Now comes the hard part.....do nothing for 24 to 36 hours. When it quits smoking after about a day and a half the stump will be gone. Hose down the area and your done.

If I catch charcoal on sale, I figure it cost me about $10 a stump with no digging, chaining, pulling or sweat on my part.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Woodshark wrote:Here is a very inexpensive and easy way to remove it..... light the charcoal.....do nothing for 24 to 36 hours.
Cheater. Using your brain instead of your brawn. :D
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

frugaltype wrote:
pjstack wrote:Put a flower pot on it and enjoy!
Those are so ugly :-)
Well, I meant to put a flower in the flower pot!
pjstack
magician

Post by magician »

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I would caution against any fire-related methods unless you're out in the country. In more urbanized areas it's likely illegal to burn yard waste and might get a visit from the fire department and police.

Brian
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Default User BR wrote:I would caution against any fire-related methods unless you're out in the country. In more urbanized areas it's likely illegal to burn yard waste and might get a visit from the fire department and police.
It's also not advised if you're in the country, but currently in a high fire danger zone. We had a pretty large "wildfire" in a rural community around a couple years back that was started by someone not being wise with fire on his property. I'm sure all his neighbors whose homes were destroyed wished he'd exercised a little more caution.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I've removed several 1-2' diameter stumps, attempting every technique possible.

>Burning. Forget it. Takes forever.
>Stump-rotting chemicals: Never worked for me.
>Ax, shovel, and winch or high-lift jack. Works, but a LOT of work. Take care what you attach your come-along to; you could easily pull over a fence post. The base of another large tree would be best. If it's a fairly small stump, this is my preferred method. (Don't try to jerk it out by tying a line to a car bumper. That's a good way to tear the bumper off.)
>Professional stump-grinder. Not cheap, but does the job quickly, cleanly, and without (my) sweat.
Topic Author
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

Glenn wrote:I've removed several 1-2' diameter stumps, attempting every technique possible.

>Burning. Forget it. Takes forever.
>Stump-rotting chemicals: Never worked for me.
>Ax, shovel, and winch or high-lift jack. Works, but a LOT of work. Take care what you attach your come-along to; you could easily pull over a fence post. The base of another large tree would be best. If it's a fairly small stump, this is my preferred method. (Don't try to jerk it out by tying a line to a car bumper. That's a good way to tear the bumper off.)
>Professional stump-grinder. Not cheap, but does the job quickly, cleanly, and without (my) sweat.
Thanks Glenn,

I am leaning towards going the professional route. It is amazing how difficult it is to remove a relatively small stump. I can appreciate some of the previous comments that infer it shouldn't be too difficult, but I can assure you it is.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Recently I let stumps rot, a 2 ft dia maple stump took about 4 years to get it just below soil level, helped with an axe.
I also had stumps ground down to 8 inches below the surface, did cost only $50 each, was instant gratification, did not hold up any landscaping projects.
40 years ago I used to dig a 1 to 2 ft wide trench around the stump, down to the tap root. After cutting the tap root, the stump slit into the hole and could be buried right there. That took a little time, but it worked well. Good luck, and do not get hurt!
gd

Post by gd »

Make a birdbath out of it, or some similar useful object. The nicer it is, the faster it'll rot away once you don't want it to.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Get a small roll of 12" sheet metal. You can find it at Lowes or Home Depot, usually in the HVAC or roofing section. Also pick up a medium size bag of easy light charcoal and a few sheet metal screws. Make a circle out of the sheet metal that will circle the stump with about 2 inches to spare all around. Dump in the bag of charcoal. It should, at least, completely cover the stump. Clear an area around the stump ( to prevent stray sparks from catching mulch on fire etc.) then light the charcoal. Now comes the hard part.....do nothing for 24 to 36 hours. When it quits smoking after about a day and a half the stump will be gone. Hose down the area and your done.
Man, I wish I'd thought of that. This sounds like a winner.
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

I'm going to take a different view. Do you really want it gone?

At our last home, we had two very large stumps (30" diameter). I asked DH to hollow them out a bit - he used an axe to make a basin about 12" deep. I filled it with potting soil and planted annuals. I also planted flowers and bulbs around the stump. Within a short time, I had a very attractive flower bed. The stumps gave it height and the lobelia spilled out over it.
stratton

Post by stratton »

The Acme Catalog should have something.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

I have had to do this several times, and I always opt for the "organic" route. Wait long enough for the stump to rot and then dig it out with minimal effort. You might be waiting five years or so. If that doesn't appeal to you, I second the opinion of hiring someone to grind it out.

My own maximum for digging out the stump manually immediately, without waiting for rot to set in, is about 7 inches diameter. I wouldn't venture to attempt one a foot across, at least based on the kinds of trees and root systems I experience in the northeast.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

ddunca1944 wrote:I'm going to take a different view. Do you really want it gone?

At our last home, we had two very large stumps (30" diameter). I asked DH to hollow them out a bit - he used an axe to make a basin about 12" deep. I filled it with potting soil and planted annuals. I also planted flowers and bulbs around the stump. Within a short time, I had a very attractive flower bed. The stumps gave it height and the lobelia spilled out over it.
Okay. Apparently it's just me. But every time I drive past a yard with a stump that people have tried to do something with, I say to myself, if only they knew about stump grinding companies.