iphone or ipad

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
HogsAndApples

iphone or ipad

Post by HogsAndApples »

Hi!

I'm in the market for a smart phone. I will purchase an iphone or and ipad. I'm like "simple" and prefer to carry around as little as possible. Can an ipad or ipad mini be used as a phone. Any pros or cons I should be aware of?

Love to hear your thoughts on this.
chaz

Re: iphone or ipad

Post by chaz »

I like my iPad. You can use skype on it.

Good luck.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I have both. The big issue for me is screen size. My eyes are getting worse as I get older, so reading the small iPhone screen is a problem
Topic Author
HogsAndApples

Post by HogsAndApples »

So other than size there is no trade off if I choose to use an ipad as my smart phone?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

C'mon, can you be walking down the street talking on your iPad that you keep in your pocket or clipped on your belt?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

I don't see how iPad as a phone is going to work. First, you're going to have to carry around an iPad all day, sounds really lame. Second, you're going to need a 4G iPad, and pay for the monthly wireless connection, if you want it to operate as a phone. Third, I think you'll be limited to broadband services like Vonage or Skype; it would suck having to launch them every time you need to make a call. Finally, how are people going to call you? Are you going to keep the iPad on, powered, and with you all the time? Any one of these is enough to say it's not a good idea.
Topic Author
HogsAndApples

Post by HogsAndApples »

Good points. LOL. However, I was thinking of the ipad mini. ;)
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

A 7 inch phone! Wayyy too big.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

DualIncomeNoDebt wrote:I don't see how iPad as a phone is going to work. First, you're going to have to carry around an iPad all day, sounds really lame. Second, you're going to need a 4G iPad, and pay for the monthly wireless connection, if you want it to operate as a phone. Third, I think you'll be limited to broadband services like Vonage or Skype; it would suck having to launch them every time you need to make a call. Finally, how are people going to call you? Are you going to keep the iPad on, powered, and with you all the time? Any one of these is enough to say it's not a good idea.
Actually, that's not correct. I'm able to use my iPad to make phone calls as well as video sessions without needing a 4G iPad. There are a number of programs that use google voice on a regular iPad to make phone calls whenever you're connected to the internet, including GV Phone, Talkatone, Google Voice and Hangouts. I'm able to call anywhere in the US and Canada for free, and if you're overseas, you can still call back to the US and Canada at no cost. In addition, you can make international calls for a small fee without having to sign up for an expensive foreign plan on your phone. And you can also use the included Facetime for phone and video calls to other Apple phones and iPads.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

You can make phone calls fine with a Wifi-only iPad (when you're connected), but it's not a cell phone replacement without 4G (arguably could be used as a home phone replacement if you don't value emergency services). You can't make calls when just out-and-about, and people wouldn't be able to call you much of the time. 4G might work ok for this, though you will pay for the data plan. Your 4G calls will also come out of your limited data budget, but this probably wouldn't be a big issue for most if you're flexible and try to make most calls when on Wifi.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
busymike

Post by busymike »

i have a 3g ipad2 and verizon blocked my ability to use skype and other phone-like features on 3g when I didn't have wifi.

get a phone for your phone and a tablet for your tablet-ing.

if you prefer tablets, get prepaid cell service with a cheap phone and use your ipad for data consumption. i did this for two years with no hiccups. only awkward when i was in shady parts of town and i felt weird whipping out my ipad.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

If you are not firmly entrenched in the apple camp, you might look at something like the galaxy note. Bigger than a phone, smaller than a tablet, but still small enough to serve as either a phone or a tablet.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite ... ?type=find

Mike
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I would get the iPhone if it's going to be used for phone calls and a phone service data connection is going to be paid for anyway. Sure it's possible to use something like Skype on Wi Fi, with $0 monthly charges, but there are trade offs--think about it.

Something else to think about is a Wi Fi iPad for hot-spot internet, and then an inexpensive phone like a Virgin Mobile $21.90 per month plan for the phone side. -- Tet