New Honda Accord v/s CPO BMW 328i

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
thomasbayarea

New Honda Accord v/s CPO BMW 328i

Post by thomasbayarea »

We're starting to look for a replacement car for the wife. We were originally set on a new Honda Accord EX-L (About $26-27k), but the wife is now interested in looking at similarly priced certified pre-owned BMWs (3-series).

Any thoughts on helping with this decision?

We keep our cars for 10+ years, so I am a little worried about future maintenance & repair costs on the BMW. But how much more could they be? $2000-$3000 more over ten years, compared to the Accord? More?

The initial cost is the same, paying cash, not financing. The depreciated value is also about the same (10 year old Accord v/s 13 year old BMW).

I know the BMW is considerably smaller in size. But it's going to be more fun to drive over those 10 years.

Have I missed something?
hand

Re: New Honda Accord v/s CPO BMW 328i

Post by hand »

Take a look at edmunds TCO (True Cost to Own) for the two cars in question, I'd be surprised if repairs, gas and insurance for the BMW aren't significantly higher than for the Accord.
segfault

Post by segfault »

More than $2-3,000 difference over 10 years. One example: On newer BMWs, you can't simply replace the 12v starter battery as you can on nearly any other car. You have to connect a diagnostic tool and "register" the new battery with the car:

http://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.php?t ... tion.5443/
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Have you driven the Accord? Current model may be "fun enough" for you to drive (albeit not quite a BMW).
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Topic Author
thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea »

Thanks!

TCO seems a little hard to believe.

$17,767 in maintenance & repairs on the BMW? That's ~$300/month. Wow :o

Also, gas costs are a tad exaggerated ...
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

I own a BMW and visit random BMW forums quite a bit. One thing that would really make me cautious is how these things are driven. BMWs are fun cars to drive, so people sometimes abuse the hell out of them. And you'll never know for sure how the car was driven. I mean maybe it was just some boring accountant that drove it back and forth from work on the highway for 3 years and never did anything crazy.

But overall the way the previous owner treated the car would be a bigger concern on a used BMW than say, a used Toyota Avalon. At least, it would be to me.

And you want to keep the car 10 years, which would mean it would be about 12-13 years old when you get rid of it. I am shooting for 10 years in my own BMW, but that's cause I purchased it new, so I want to get the most out of it.

If I had to get a BMW again, I'd either just lease it or pick up a good deal CPO and drive it until the fairly generous CPO warranty is up and then get rid of it.
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

We are a loyal Honda and BMW family but its apples and oranges to me. I have owned four BMWs and currently drive a 2011 335i coupe. I also own a 2010 Honda crv and a 2003 Honda Pilot. One brand has been very reliable for me and one has been relatively horrible but ive been saved when covered under warranty. Guess which is which? I have learned my lesson not to own a BMW after expired warranty and I've personally have shelled out $2k in the 5th year when I've not sold them. I could not even sleep at night with the thought of holding a BMW for 10 years. Your experience may be different of course. I am trading in the BMW for 2013 Accord V6 EX-L in next two weeks. The incentives are great on Accord, eg below invoice pricing and I was very impressed by the performance of the v6.
Last edited by lwfitzge on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sanbalto

Post by Sanbalto »

Test drive the V6 Accord. You may be pleasantly surprised at how close in performance it is to the BMW.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

stan1 wrote:Have you driven the Accord? Current model may be "fun enough" for you to drive (albeit not quite a BMW).
Just saw that you compared 328i with a 4 cylinder Accord. Test drive the V-6 Accord.
VTXVX

Post by VTXVX »

Delete
Last edited by VTXVX on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea »

stan1 wrote:
stan1 wrote:Have you driven the Accord? Current model may be "fun enough" for you to drive (albeit not quite a BMW).
Just saw that you compared 328i with a 4 cylinder Accord. Test drive the V-6 Accord.
A test drive sounds interesting. Our original thinking was that if we were to buy the Accord, it would be the 4-cyl one, for the fuel economy.
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

Just got the new Accord '13 EX and love it. I've owned Hondas since1983 and love them. Great value and reliable. Don't know much about BMW, probably more money to upkeep. The mpg is improved 27/37. Traded in a 2010 which we loved. Good luck
Last edited by EternalOptimist on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When nothing goes right....go left"
Rushmore

Post by Rushmore »

I own a new 2013 Honda Accord EX (4-cyl) and a 2005 BMW 325XiT (station wagon). I enjoy driving the Honda more; my wife enjoys the "feel" of the BMW more -- enjoyment of a car is a subjective thing. Objectively, however, the BMW will certainly cost you more -- premium gas, $100 oil changes, etc. Whenever something goes wrong on the BMW -- and it's often something that one cannot notice, such as something suspension-related -- plan on a small boat payment to fix it. Parts and labor are just more expensive on a BMW, and because the cars are more "performance-oriented," more stuff can break.

Just my 2 cents. --Rushmore
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

thomasbayarea wrote:
stan1 wrote:
A test drive sounds interesting. Our original thinking was that if we were to buy the Accord, it would be the 4-cyl one, for the fuel economy.
It's mostly subjective and I agree a test drive may help. But the V-6 Accord (I've driven one) doesn't really feel like a 3-series. It's larger, drives larger, has FWD, etc. I didn't find it as fun to drive as the 7th generation V-6, which had less power, but I felt was more fun to drive. However, it felt great in the sense of a very refined "luxurious" car. More Lexus than BMW, imo. So if that's your thing, a V-6 Accord might do splendidly.

To be truthful, I found a much cheaper Mazda 3 to be closer to the BMW 3 series in the fun to drive and "feel" department.
zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 »

I just recently bought a 2013 Accord EX-L. I always thought BMWs drove like bricks. Big heavy German cars. The Honda financing at 0.9% was nice with $500 discount for repeat customer. Where would you drive a BMW to truly appraciate the handling?
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

Ask yourself this:

Could you afford the BMW you are looking at brand new?

If the answer is no, you cannot afford a used BMW.

Get the brand new Honda and as someone else mentioned up above, and love it.

More than likely, the used BMW is off lease and there is a good chance it was not exactly driven very gingerly in its life. Best not to be on the receiving end of a high maintenance hard driven BMW. Especially one you want to keep for ten years.
slick_dealer_05

Post by slick_dealer_05 »

Replace the wife, you'll save a lot in the long run.
camaro327

Post by camaro327 »

I don't think there's a big difference. Both are status cars.

BMW says I've got the money to pay big car repair bills.

Accord says I like cars that have high residual values.

:sharebeer
TRC

Post by TRC »

thomasbayarea wrote:
stan1 wrote:
I wouldn't advise a test drive, as the BMW will win hands down. It's a driver's car. They drive REALLY nice.

I had a 335xi for a couple years. Rocket ship. I was giddy after the test drive and didn't even bother looking at Acura or Infiniti.

Even though it was under the 50K warranty, I got tired of taking it to the dealer for repairs and recalls.

Once we had kids, I eventually sold it. Back seat and trunk were too small.

If you want a practical, low maintenance car with good space, low repair cost and longevity - get the accord.
If you want a fun to drive car that will likely require costly repairs and time spent at the dealer - get the BMW.
Steady59

Post by Steady59 »

If I had to get a BMW again, I'd either just lease it or pick up a good deal CPO and drive it until the fairly generous CPO warranty is up and then get rid of it.
This ^^

Someone mentioned to check the maintenance from the prior owner(s) for the BMW. This advice should apply to any used car. Look for more-frequent-than-the-dealer-suggests (old school fluid maintenance) fluid changes, front suspension and brake (pads and rotors) replacement, etc. Ask the dealer for a record of the repairs or get a Carfax. Some of the new motors also have PCV valve issues that, frankly, should have been a TSB recall item. Longer term, the auto trannies tend to either work or suck. I got rid of our 2001 X5 because I didn't trust the tranny and I heard the next owner had issues with it. It did not have 100K miles on it. My '85 manual tranny just turned 223k and I am not nice to it. It will last forever but I am also upside down on it.

Like many cars, BMWs are tons of fun to drive, especially the older ones. Nothing steering like a BMW. Just expect to pay more to maintain it compared to its Japanese counterparts which in many cases are just as nice.
WatchinU

Post by WatchinU »

BMWs are nice cars. I have friends that sell them just as soon as they are out of warranty because the repairs are so expensive. I know folks that spent thousands of dollars trying to maintain the BMW and they got to a point that they couldn't afford it. It was a 6 year old car.

for me the safe route was buying a 13 Honda Accord EX-L v6. I've been driving Hondas for years and had great experience. I didn't get the navigation system as I saw no point in spending $2k for something that had to be updated with a disc each year for additional cost. I have Garmin Nuvi and that works very well and has lifetime maps included.

One thing I learned recently....you can purchase the Discount Tire Road Hazard Certificates for your new car with OEM tires on it. I just did that recently for peace of mind. On a new car, if the tire is flat and ruined the only option is to buy a new tire. With the certificates, Discount Tire will replace them--no haggle with a dealer. Discount Tires will also rotate your tires for free so you don't need to pay the dealer $30 as they charged me the first time I had an oil change. My older car had 3 tires replaced out of 4 via the road hazard certificates so its worth it to me.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Like many cars, BMWs are tons of fun to drive, especially the older ones. Nothing steering like a BMW. Just expect to pay more to maintain it compared to its Japanese counterparts which in many cases are just as nice.
+1.

BMW is for lease only, not to keep. Honda is not a status symbol, at least not in the NE area.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

For the record, I owned 3 BMW's and 3 Honda/Acura. The latter is for transportation. Just because a car can go fast in a straight line does not make it a sports car.

Now we are down to one SUV, Mazda CX5 rather than the Honda CR-V.
LifeLearner

Post by LifeLearner »

I cannot speak for the BMW, but someone in my family just purchased a new 2013 Accord. It's a significant upgrade over previous Accords, and the CVT gets very good mileage on the highway. I'd definitely test drive before deciding; you might be surprised by the Accord. For the 2013 model, the 4-cylinder has been significantly improved compared to previous generations (faster 0-60 and more efficient)! The V6 has plenty of power, but it seems like overkill for an Accord.
ayitey

Post by ayitey »

It is common to see annual repair costs of $1000-$2000 per year for an out-of-warranty BMW.

This is both my personal experience and what the independent BMW repair shop manager told me.

Nice driving car, but quite expensive to repair over the years.
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker »

Another extra expense to the BMW might be insurance. You might want to compare quotes for both cars. And, I'd vote for the new Honda too.

Also, if you decide on the new Honda and want an extended warranty, shop online for the factory warranty (link to one place below), and do not buy at your stealership when they try to squeeze more money out of you. You can save hundreds that way, and it is the same factory warranty as your stealership sells you under pressure. Good luck.

http://www.hyannishondacare.com/plans.php
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Sanbalto wrote:Test drive the V6 Accord. You may be pleasantly surprised at how close in performance it is to the BMW.
No you wont be surprised. V6 accord is quick, but it is nose heavy, there is blatant understeer, the seats suck vs. the BMW with sport package, it has crap steering feel, etc.

Have you considered the Mazda 6? They just redesigned it and it's a looker. The reviews love the way it drives too, I'm sure its more fun than the Accord but probably not a BMW. Reliability shouldn't be an issue

The accord is a great every day car. I should know, its my daily driver. But the BMW's performance is far superior to the accord, and the BMW has a much more refined powertrain. Even if you go with the v-6 Accord, you're only looking at improving acceleration, but the dynamics wont be close to the 3 series, and the engine and transmission aren't nearly as smooth and refined

Question is do you want to pay a little bit extra over the long run in fuel and maintenance. I dont think the difference will be as much as that Edmunds comparison, the gas costs seem way overblown. In terms of maintenance, you can avoid it by buying new CPO every time the warranty runs out. My friend does this with his 3-series and his cost of ownership excluding gas over the past 10 years has been about $2,500 a year. He bought his last one for $26 4 years ago, just sold it for $16K and paid nothing in maintenance during the 4 years he had it. It is his daily driver, and he is replacing it now with his 3rd BMW.

Everyone's experience is different, but doing a CPO can't hurt worst case scenario you sell the car in 3 years after warranty runs out if you are having issues, and you can just pickup the Accord. I will be doing this as soon as my 17 year old accord dies, as I've test driven the new Accords and don't like the feel at all. Old ones had more of a BMW feel, the new ones feel more like a Lexus. I'm not a fan of Lexus
Last edited by FireSekr on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

I have owned multiple BMW's long after the warranty has expired, and I have a love/hate relationship with them. You need to budget about $1.5K - $2K a year in maintenance costs. The tricky part is finding a good mechanic you can trust. Never go to a dealer - the service markups are insane. I vow never to buy an out of warranty BMW every time I step out of the mechanic's.

But when you are on a winding country road, and you just point the BMW at an apex, squeeze the throttle and feel it flow from corner to corner - all seems right with the world.

EDIT: I own a Mazda 3 as well. Mazda 3's are good compared to other front wheeled drive cars, but there is simply no comparison between a rear wheel drive BMW and a front wheel drive Mazda 3.
Last edited by Chan_va on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
donall

Post by donall »

So, who exactly is interested in a used BMW?

You have to decide on what the purpose of the new car is. Daily commute, impress friends, toy car, performance, safety ??
As others have said, the costs of owning a used BMW are far more than a Honda and can cost far, far, more than a Honda. Let's not forget the aggravation.

Only buy a BMW if buying new.

The 2013 Honda is very much redesigned and more sportier. The ride is not soft or supple, as the suspension is much more firm than in previous years. Excellent mileage with CVT transmission, lots of gadgets, uses regular gas, etc. Look at it as a reliable daily commute car. I think the safety ratings are better for the Honda than the BMW.

As a previous poster wrote, try a Mazda 3 if you or your wife want performance. A really good buy that has a wonderfully engineered drive. Mazda 3s haven't been around much longer than ten years, but ours is still going strong after 9 and a lot of miles.

I've seen a lot of the Mercedes CLA-coupes around lately. Perhaps something to consider buying new.
Last edited by donall on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

I am getting close to 40 mpg on highway trips with my 4cyl 2013 Honda Accord!
Topic Author
thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea »

Thank you all for this excellent discussion. I didn't know this would such a popular topic :) !

Anyway we have been long time owners of a Porsche 911 (6+ years beyond warranty now), so we know German cars and their maintenance costs. I tend to perform basic maintenance myself (oil changes, plug changes, minor repairs, etc). The Porsche has been mostly a garage queen, so running costs have been low.

I understand that the BMW is going to be expensive to run, but I wanted to know how much. I think I have the answer -- about $2000 / year... which we can afford.

We can also afford a new BMW, but I don't have the appetite to spend so much on a new car ($35k+).

The BMW will be the wife's car for the most part, so a little bit of commuting, running around town, driving the kids, etc.
02sbxstr

Post by 02sbxstr »

Depends on whether you are car people or not. Depends on whether you are willing to pay a bit more to drive arguably one of the best cars in the world or want to drive an econobox. We recently owned a VW Jetta TDI which we traded for a Audi A4. These 2 cars are roughly the same classes as what you are talking about. The A4 wins hands down. Assuming you can afford the Bimmer, do it. Life is not just about maximizing utility ...
Ged

Post by Ged »

> The BMW will be the wife's car for the most part, so a little bit of commuting, running around town, driving the kids, etc.

That's cruel and unusual punishment for a BMW.
tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden »

As others have mentioned, I also tend to follow a rule to not own a German car out of warranty. They are great driver's cars, but can get inundated with expensive issues with age.

That said, I think the car choices have two very different things to offer. The Honda is a reliable, if not a bit utilitarian, means of transport. The BMW will offer a lot more fun and features. Having just recently sold a BMW 335i (since the warranty expired), I can say that they make amazing, well-rounded, sports sedans. For me it was worth the extra expense, but I tend to make less frugal car decisions compared to the rest of my purchases. :)
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD
Steady59

Post by Steady59 »

The BMW will be the wife's car for the most part, so a little bit of commuting, running around town, driving the kids, etc.

True. Especially with the newer ones, its VERY important to make sure you get it up to temperature for 30 minutes a week to burn off the condensation. Do NOT follow the dealer's recommendation for oil change frequency but go every calendar quarter. Take it out once per week and after proper warm up, rev the crap out of it for awhile.
02sbxstr

Post by 02sbxstr »

TodB wrote:

True. Especially with the newer ones, its VERY important to make sure you get it up to temperature for 30 minutes a week to burn off the condensation. Do NOT follow the dealer's recommendation for oil change frequency but go every calendar quarter. Take it out once per week and after proper warm up, rev the crap out of it for awhile.
I agree with the cruel and unusual punishment sentiment, but who is to say that chores around town can't be done with a car that is fun to drive, even in traffic. I don't think the suggested maintenance intervals hold any water today. BMW, and other manufacturers design their cars with the "cruel and unusual" duty cycle in mind. And as to oil change frequency, go with the manufacturers recommendations. The BMW, and probably the Honda, will use synthetic oil and it is a waste of money to change this oil out every 2000 or 2500 miles. (Duty cycle mentioned is probably going to put on maybe 10k miles per year, perhaps less.)

There are 3 German cars in our garage now: a VW, an Audi, and a Porsche. Previously, there were Nissan cars. Other than the Porsche, which requires 10 qts of Mobil 1 every year (we've owned it for 10 years now and, other than oil changes and new tires, haven't paid a penny for services), we haven't experienced a big premium for the German car's maintenance over their Nissan predecessors. It jwould seem the market would preclude too wide a service discrepancy.

Buy the BMW.
VTXVX

Post by VTXVX »

Delete
Last edited by VTXVX on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

How about you throw out both ideas and get a turbo charged Miata? Those are fun to drive.
rallycobra

Post by rallycobra »

I'm a car fanatic, but I haven't driven the Honda. I will say that when I have borrowed my wife's 2008 328xi premium package with xenon lights, I would say it is the best commuter car you could imagine. The ride is firm but not punishing. The powertrain is smoother than anything else I have driven (BMW 335, Infiniti G37, Mercedes, Audi, etc). The steering is very heavy and provides excellent feedback. We have 70k miles on ours, and the only mechanical problem was an oxygen sensor that was covered under warranty. The yellow light lit up and we dropped it off at the dealer for a day. Maintenance is brakes every 50k and oil every 10k. At 100k I might change the spark plugs and coolant. We paid 40k, the new ones are about 50k. Most car people think the older ones with a straight six are better than the new ones with the turbo 4 and electric steering. We plan on keeping it for 10yrs +. I have offered to take it the car off her hands and let her get a new vehicle, but she won't give it up :)

All of that being said, the Honda will probably cost you less money in the long run and be just as pleasant and competent. She should drive both and see what she likes. I do think the BMW is an extremely well engineered vehicle and in a 'black swan' event, I would want to be in the Bimmer. Accident avoidance, accident survival, runflat tires, exceptional lighting, crash assistance and sat link, etc. Spend $40 and join the BMW club. You can drive it all day flat out on a track with an instructor and the car is no worse for wear. A lot of other cars only last a couple of runs before they suffer engine, transmission, or brake overheating.
80% Total Stock Market US VTI | 15% Intermediate Treasury VGIT | 5% Gold GLDM/AAAU
Ged

Post by Ged »

rallycobra wrote:I do think the BMW is an extremely well engineered vehicle and in a 'black swan' event, I would want to be in the Bimmer. Accident avoidance, accident survival
The BMW would probably win in crash avoidance, especially in the hands of an expert, but the Honda really has the better crash test results. Especially if it's a new Honda vs a used BMW.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Our home "fleet" consists of a 2007 BMW 328i, a new-to-us 2011 BMW 128, and a 2010 Honda Oddessy (the 3rd Honda we've owned).

The BMW really is the ultimate driving machine. Smooth, positive, and nimble handling. Great acceleration. Yet comfortable and controlled for daily commuting duties. If you're into mechanical things and like driving this is your car...

But, it will definately cost you. Since coming off of factory warranty, I spent $800 last year on maintenance and so far $3400 this year in maintenace and repairs. (Using a know and well reputed independent BMW mechanic). I'm hoping the maintence burden will improve, but clearly $2000 a year is not out of the norm for keeping a BMW in good health.

On the other hand, the Honda requires no maintence apart from oil changes and new wiper blades. This has been the case with both of our other Hondas as well. My favoite was the Honda Prelude I owned from '85-95. Its a shame Hondas have become such generic and pedestrian cars. If they still made cars as sporty and fun to drive as the Prelude, I wouldn't have to pay the bucks for the pure driving fun the BMW delivers.

Good luck with your choice.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Regarding "status"...if someone is enough of a snob to care to judge you by your car, they are going to notice that it's a 3-year old BMW and not the latest model, so there is no point in trying to impress anyone but yourself.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Most everyone has a hobby. People who do not partake in that particular hobby consider those expenses frivolous. Boats, RVs, travel, dogs, horses, woodworking, bicycles, gardening, and even hardcore scrapbooking could all easily cost more than $1,500 per year.

If the enjoyment you'll get from the BMW is worth $1,500 per year, if you are saving to meet your investing goals, and a "fun" car is near the top of the priority list of things you enjoy, then go with the BMW. I don't think anyone is saying a Honda is comparable to a BMW, but the Honda may be "good enough".
Steady59

Post by Steady59 »

Code: Select all

BMW, and other manufacturers design their cars with the "cruel and unusual" duty cycle in mind. And as to oil change frequency, go with the manufacturers recommendations.
We can debate this until the cows come home, but the longer intervals are so the marque can say their cars are cheap to own. Pull the valve cover after a 15K mile around town drive and you'll find a lot of sludge. Ask me how I know. Id halve the oil change interval. Cheap insurance.

To be clear, I'd get the BMW a day long. I like cars a bunch too so its worth it to me.
SDBoggled

Post by SDBoggled »

I second the suggestion to drive both and see if the BMW is worth some extra $. I don't doubt that the BMW will cost you more ($110 for a bit of plastic pipe, $2000 for a computer) over the 10 years, however that cost is controllable if you find a good independent mechanic.

If I had to rely on dealer pricing I would not own one BMW, but currently am happy with 4, (was 5 until recently but we now have one less kid car)... however the youngest is 2006 and my daily driver is 15 year old M3... and I appreciate it every day. It is at its best accelerating up winding curves at 60-70 miles an hour, but even driving around town - 2nd gear between stop signs adds a bit of interest.

As others have said you can also get the performance feel from plenty of cars - I suspect a 4 cyl Accord is not one of them... and I am trying to be mean to the Honda. X5 is a great vehicle and has a decent 0-60 mph, but I find that I am so isolated from the road, it is not a joy to drive like the M3.

If I was shopping for an M3 replacement to test drive, I would start with this list: http://www.zeroto60times.com/Sleeper-Ca ... Times.html
Ged

Post by Ged »

SDBoggled wrote: If I was shopping for an M3 replacement to test drive, I would start with this list: http://www.zeroto60times.com/Sleeper-Ca ... Times.html
According to this list the 2013 Honda Accord V6 has faster 0-60 than either a 15 year old M3 or a current 328i.
lostInFinance

Post by lostInFinance »

Outer Marker wrote:Our home "fleet" consists of a 2007 BMW 328i, a new-to-us 2011 BMW 128, and a 2010 Honda Oddessy (the 3rd Honda we've owned).

The BMW really is the ultimate driving machine. Smooth, positive, and nimble handling. Great acceleration.
I have to call BS on the BMW having great acceleration, at least in the price range the OP is considering. A 2010 328i has a 0-60 of 6.9s, according to here, http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/10 ... 328i-sedan. A 2013 Honda accord comes in at 6.1s, according to here http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/201 ... test1.html. The bmw loses to a honda accord, which is a great car but usually associated more with soccer moms than racing.
lostInFinance

Post by lostInFinance »

stan1 wrote:Most everyone has a hobby. People who do not partake in that particular hobby consider those expenses frivolous. Boats, RVs, travel, dogs, horses, woodworking, bicycles, gardening, and even hardcore scrapbooking could all easily cost more than $1,500 per year.

If the enjoyment you'll get from the BMW is worth $1,500 per year, if you are saving to meet your investing goals, and a "fun" car is near the top of the priority list of things you enjoy, then go with the BMW. I don't think anyone is saying a Honda is comparable to a BMW, but the Honda may be "good enough".
I'll hypothesize that a Honda might be comparable to a BMW. If your goal is to impress other people or have a luxury interior, then buy a a luxury brand car. If you're driving a on a race track, the German autobahn, or treat speed limits as mere suggestions, then I can see how BMW's performance could come into play. If you're just driving on a more or less straight road at 50mph, I wonder if the perceived fun of driving could be mostly a placebo effect. Driving a bmw is more fun because you expect it to be more fun. If you tell a wine snob that you're serving him a $500 bottle of wine, he'll remark how much better it is than a $20 bottle of wine. However, in blind taste tests, the correlation between price and preference is usually near zero.
lawman

Post by lawman »

I've had a BMW 3-series for the past 8 years after driving a Honda Accord for the previous 10. Yes, the BMW costs a good $2,000 a year to maintain, using a good independent mechanic. What's even worse is the inconvenience and frustration caused by the "service engine soon" light going off all of the time, telling me that I have to take it in yet again. I love to drive this car, but I won't buy another because I hate having to get it fixed all the time. There must be a car that's fun to drive - and also reliable. I may look at an Acura next time around.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

lostInFinance wrote:
Outer Marker wrote:Our home "fleet" consists of a 2007 BMW 328i, a new-to-us 2011 BMW 128, and a 2010 Honda Oddessy (the 3rd Honda we've owned).

The BMW really is the ultimate driving machine. Smooth, positive, and nimble handling. Great acceleration.
I have to call BS on the BMW having great acceleration, at least in the price range the OP is considering. A 2010 328i has a 0-60 of 6.9s, according to here, http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/10 ... 328i-sedan. A 2013 Honda accord comes in at 6.1s, according to here http://www.edmunds.com/honda/accord/201 ... test1.html. The bmw loses to a honda accord, which is a great car but usually associated more with soccer moms than racing.
That may not be accurate...the 0-60 times stated by BMW are generally under-rated, as are their horsepower and torque figures. 6.9 is the factory number, but most reviews will get much better times. Edmund's track test got 6.4
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/trac ... sedan.html

And as soon as you drive in anything other than a straight line the accord will be in the dust. BMWs are not muscle cars they are not supposed to be drag cars. They are designed to offer a balance of agility, comfort, speed practicality etc. Although the V6 accord may be quicker from 0-60 than a 328, the engine is more than the chasis and the suspension can handle, the BMW is far better balanced, and will destroy the accord in any sort of competition where there are turns.

That being said, the OP is using the car for around town type of stuff. Does 0-60 even matter? The BMW will feel faster around town because the engine has a flatter torque curve, meaning that there is more power available at all speeds/rpm. The accord's v6 is peaky, meaning you need to rev it more to get power out of it, which you're not going to do in local driving. I think steering feel, suspension, chasis, features and ride are more important for the OP than pure power. Also, the BMW 4 cylinder is much smoother and quieter than the accord v6, as is the BMW transmission.

Numbers aren't everything, feel is just as important.
Last edited by FireSekr on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.