US Open tennis

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

US Open tennis

Post by EternalOptimist »

Ahh, just got me 2 tickets to the US Open, it was easy, drove to the tennis center ticket window and bought them....only $56/ticket for grounds passes--no service charges, no taxes. Anyone planning on attending next month's Open. I've been doing it for years and love it!!
"When nothing goes right....go left"
ieee488

Re: US Open tennis

Post by ieee488 »

Is it possible to buy tickets to one of the quarterfinals, semifinals, finals tickets or they pretty much sold out?
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

ieee488 wrote:Is it possible to buy tickets to one of the quarterfinals, semifinals, finals tickets or they pretty much sold out?

If you live in NYC area, the ticket window is the best bet. Looks like there are still tickets available. Check out this link, good luck.

http://www.usopen.org/Tickets/Individua ... adernavsub
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

EternalOptimist wrote:Ahh, just got me 2 tickets to the US Open, it was easy, drove to the tennis center ticket window and bought them....only $56/ticket for grounds passes--no service charges, no taxes. Anyone planning on attending next month's Open. I've been doing it for years and love it!!
Not going this year but have in the past. It is a great time. What I found was it's better to go in the first week as many outside courts are used. If it's the same today, they sell you a ticket (assigned seat) to the main stadium court and the other courts are sit wherever you can. You can get real close to the pros on the outside courts.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Was supposed to go, but the conference got postponed until next year. I'm a teaching pro and the United State Professional Tennis Association has a conference right before the US Open. Its great to go out and watch some fantastic tennis. Just like Fsrph mentioned, I really enjoy watching the outside courts where lower ranked players fight to win a round or two. Its so difficult to make it as a pro, and its crucial for these guys to win some prize money to fund the next year or so.
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

NOLA wrote:Was supposed to go, but the conference got postponed until next year. I'm a teaching pro and the United State Professional Tennis Association has a conference right before the US Open. Its great to go out and watch some fantastic tennis. Just like Fsrph mentioned, I really enjoy watching the outside courts where lower ranked players fight to win a round or two. Its so difficult to make it as a pro, and its crucial for these guys to win some prize money to fund the next year or so.
Yes I am going the first Wed with grounds passes to get up close. Also go to the qualifiers the week before for free....great action. Been playing over 30 years and love it. Back in the day I used to play small tournaments at the National Tennis Center when it was first opened. Great stuff...
swaption

Post by swaption »

A real Boglehead approach. Took my young daughter to the final day of qualifiers once. Absolutely free. Most of the vendors all set up and you walk among the matches on the outer courts. Literally may be sitting among family and friends. This could be the most important match of their life and they are awesome players. May actually catch lightning Ina bottle and see someone that goes far. You also might see some recognizable players practicing, but perhaps a bit early.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I've gone on those open day passes. One problem is that NY usually gets punished when we have the Open and the weather is often like Florida in the summer. And you can see any match except one that ultimately matters !!!! So I have stopped going. But people can enjoy themselves as long as they bring a bunch of 20s for bottles of water and sandwiches.
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

I go every year. I prefer the night sessions because the days can be oppressively hot. Thanks for the tip about the qualifying rounds...I may try that this year.
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

Reubin wrote:I go every year. I prefer the night sessions because the days can be oppressively hot. Thanks for the tip about the qualifying rounds...I may try that this year.
Great fun, starts the prior Mon and goes most of the week. In some ways it's better than the Open--youngsters going up and oldsters fighting to make some $
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

EternalOptimist wrote:Ahh, just got me 2 tickets to the US Open, it was easy, drove to the tennis center ticket window and bought them....only $56/ticket for grounds passes--no service charges, no taxes. Anyone planning on attending next month's Open. I've been doing it for years and love it!!
Price has gone up a bit. Been in Florida nine years now and prior to moving here we always got the ground passes at something like $40. Went the first Friday and spent nearly 12 hours watching all the action on the outside courts (recorded the center court stuff instead of sitting in nose bleed seats where you could not see if they were using a tennis ball!)

One year the wife and I sat at an empty court @ 10 p.m. watching Jonas Bjorkman and Todd Martin practicing and two teenagers walked on the court to bump them. Todd and Jonas were both ranked as high as #4 but the teenagers had booked the court and had priority just as if they were at a private club and kicked off a couple guys who did not belong there...

In Florida there is the second tier Miami/Key Biscayne Sony Erickson and the lesser Delray Beach tournaments. Nothing like the US Open.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I went to the Open for many years in the 1990s, the last time in 1997 when the Ashe Stadium first opened. Some years I went twice, once in the first week and once in the second week. The first week had the advantage of being able to see top players on the outer courts such as the Grandstand or Court 16 and get a seat pretty close to the action. But sometimes you had some big mismatches between top players and lower ranked players.

In the second week, the matches were more competitive but nearly all of them were on the big courts, so you would not have good seats. But on the outer courts there were other draws getting started such as the doubles, the juniors, and the seniors (over 35, over 45). One year, I saw Ilie Nastase playing on one of those courts and was able to chat with him during the breaks.

Another successful strategy I used one year was to watch a match on the Grandstand which was taking place before a top featured match taking place there afterward we wanted to see. After nearly all of the fans left the first match, we moved down and got great seats for the featured match and were treated to quite a show. We were close enough to the court to hear the chatter among the 4 players (it was a mixed doubles match).
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

We went a couple of years ago and loved it. We only decided the day before and paid through the nose with all the service charges and whatnot. Didn't realize tickets are only $56 each at the box office. Will definitely need to do that next time. Thanks, EternalOptimist.
EternalOptimist wrote:
Reubin wrote:I go every year. I prefer the night sessions because the days can be oppressively hot. Thanks for the tip about the qualifying rounds...I may try that this year.
Great fun, starts the prior Mon and goes most of the week. In some ways it's better than the Open--youngsters going up and oldsters fighting to make some $
The US Open starts August 24 this year. So you're saying beginning August 19 we can attend qualifying rounds for free? Sounds like a good deal!
swaption

Post by swaption »

rjbraun wrote:
EternalOptimist wrote:
The US Open starts August 24 this year. So you're saying beginning August 19 we can attend qualifying rounds for free? Sounds like a good deal!
Yes, particularly on Friday Aug 23. You see what are essentially several finals of a mini 3 round tournaments where the winner gets to play in the main draw. Lots of drama.
ks289

Post by ks289 »

I have been to the US open several times with grounds passes in the 1990's also- no longer in the NYC area now.
I have never been to qualifiers, but I can appreciate how that would be great experience also.
The 3rd round I always felt to be the best opportunity to see good/seeded players playing on the non-show courts playing a quality opponent. Usually the non-American top players would be featured there (I remember seeing up close guys like Muster, Bruguera, Kuerten, Safin) as opposed to Agassi, Sampras. These days not many American men at the top of the game though.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

swaption wrote:
rjbraun wrote:
EternalOptimist wrote:
Yes, particularly on Friday Aug 23. You see what are essentially several finals of a mini 3 round tournaments where the winner gets to play in the main draw. Lots of drama.
Sounds great, I've marked Aug 23rd in my calendar! Thanks for the recommendation!!
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

ks289 wrote:I have been to the US open several times with grounds passes in the 1990's also- no longer in the NYC area now.
I have never been to qualifiers, but I can appreciate how that would be great experience also.
The 3rd round I always felt to be the best opportunity to see good/seeded players playing on the non-show courts playing a quality opponent. Usually the non-American top players would be featured there (I remember seeing up close guys like Muster, Bruguera, Kuerten, Safin) as opposed to Agassi, Sampras. These days not many American men at the top of the game though.
Should we start a poll 'what point is the best to attend the US Open'?
My vote would be the first week for ground pass tickets if you are nuts like the wife and I who make it a day of tennis. We used to go week one on Friday because every court has action from the start time (10-11?) right into late evening. Every once in awhile the wife would get passes for the United Airlines corporate box in the second tier behind the baseline. Forget the hospitality goodies, the view of the matches was outstanding.
Almost makes me want to move back to NY - but not quite.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Haven't been to the US Open yet, but... the wife and I did attend the finals of the Western & Southern open last year.

I guess it's sort of a Boglehead move to see a non-slam--we got to see many of the same players who compete in the slams (Federer & Djokovic, Li Na & Angelique Kerber). We got great seats for not much money (certainly a better view than we could afford/get for the US Open finals!)
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

1530jesup wrote:
ks289 wrote:I have been to the US open several times with grounds passes in the 1990's also- no longer in the NYC area now.
Should we start a poll 'what point is the best to attend the US Open'?
My vote would be the first week for ground pass tickets if you are nuts like the wife and I who make it a day of tennis. We used to go week one on Friday because every court has action from the start time (10-11?) right into late evening. Every once in awhile the wife would get passes for the United Airlines corporate box in the second tier behind the baseline. Forget the hospitality goodies, the view of the matches was outstanding.
Almost makes me want to move back to NY - but not quite.

I've been going to the Open for over 30 years and have been to every kind of match up to and including the Finals. My favorite time has become day 3 or 4 where there are great matches (singles and doubles) on many courts. Many think the semis but if it's a dud you are lost.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

I just remembered another thing I would take into account when I went to the Open twice (midweek days). I knew how the draw worked so I made sure to pick my two days so that I would see the opposite halves of the Singles draw. This way, I'd have a chance to see all the different players once.
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

scrabbler1 wrote:I just remembered another thing I would take into account when I went to the Open twice (midweek days). I knew how the draw worked so I made sure to pick my two days so that I would see the opposite halves of the Singles draw. This way, I'd have a chance to see all the different players once.
Great point
LiveFreeorDie

Post by LiveFreeorDie »

OP, did you really pay $56.00 for a Grounds Pass? If so, that is cheaper than the advertised price at ticketmaster.com.

BTW, main draw play does NOT begin August 24th. It starts on Monday, August 26th. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with reserved tickets on Armstrong during the first week. You are guaranteed to be up close and personal on the second largest stadium court and can venture around the grounds to catch the drama on the outside courts.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

I go every year and clearly have a contrarian approach. I go the day after Labor Day. I do that for a few reasons:

1) You can get 2-1 tickets from American Express during June.
2) Smaller crowds
3) I love to sit in the Grandstand and the Louis Armstrong Stadium. I sit in my favorite seat (about 10 rows behind one of the players). The view is awesome. You can see 130 MPH serves coming at you and see how much the ball spins. Since the crowds are smaller, it's easier to get seats.
4) It's usually the round of 16, so if I catch a men's single match, they are all great players. Not the best players (they are in Arthur Ashe), but still great players. On the Women's side, sometimes I see even higher ranked players.
5) If it rains, something that happens quite often during the Open, they will get backed up in Arthur Ashe. Sometimes they push even better matches to the smaller stadiums.
6) My kid's school starts 2 days after labor day. So it's the perfect day to go with him.
Mark
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

LiveFreeorDie wrote:OP, did you really pay $56.00 for a Grounds Pass? If so, that is cheaper than the advertised price at ticketmaster.com.

BTW, main draw play does NOT begin August 24th. It starts on Monday, August 26th. In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with reserved tickets on Armstrong during the first week. You are guaranteed to be up close and personal on the second largest stadium court and can venture around the grounds to catch the drama on the outside courts.
Yes I did at the Centers ticket window. Everything seems to stear you to electronic purchases with heavy fees. If you can go there you pay face value even with a credit card.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Man, I miss tennis. :(

I played from 12 to 28 and could hold my own at the higher club level but finally had to stop after years of worsening elbow tendonitis. I lost interest in pro tennis around the same time. Never been to a pro-match but it sounds like fun.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

investingdad wrote:Man, I miss tennis. :(

I played from 12 to 28 and could hold my own at the higher club level but finally had to stop after years of worsening elbow tendonitis. I lost interest in pro tennis around the same time. Never been to a pro-match but it sounds like fun.
Tennis is an awesome sport to play. I had tennis elbow for a while. It was torture. Took about a year to heal. The key to protect the elbow is to build up your forearm. The biggest mistake I usually see people make is to play when they are hurt. They never heal. If you've been out for a while, my guess is your elbow is doing much better. May be worth it to try to pick it up again.
Mark
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

Yes, am retired and play 3-4 times a week, it's a great game...some of the guys I know are well into their 80s :beer
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

markcoop wrote:
investingdad wrote:Man, I miss tennis. :(

Tennis is an awesome sport to play. I had tennis elbow for a while. It was torture. Took about a year to heal. The key to protect the elbow is to build up your forearm. The biggest mistake I usually see people make is to play when they are hurt. They never heal. If you've been out for a while, my guess is your elbow is doing much better. May be worth it to try to pick it up again.
I did permanent damage. I picked up my racket after 10 years of no tennis and it only took about 10 minutes for pain to return.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

This thread makes me wish I could be there.
Last edited by Caduceus on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

TV does spoil it for the casual fan.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

Caduceus wrote:This thread makes me want to try and go this year :) The only time I went i could only afford inexpensive seats. I was so far high up I could barely see the ball. For someone used to seeing all the perfect angles, zoom-ins and zoom-outs on TV, it was a slightly disappointing experience (also it rained throughout the day with many delays). But may try again this year based on the great suggestions of the previous posters!!
Go to the qualifiers the week before, there's just as much great tennis and it's FREE :beer
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

EternalOptimist wrote:
Caduceus wrote:This thread makes me want to try and go this year :) The only time I went i could only afford inexpensive seats. I was so far high up I could barely see the ball. For someone used to seeing all the perfect angles, zoom-ins and zoom-outs on TV, it was a slightly disappointing experience (also it rained throughout the day with many delays). But may try again this year based on the great suggestions of the previous posters!!
Go to the qualifiers the week before, there's just as much great tennis and it's FREE :beer
I think the qualifiers begin this coming Monday. Is it worth going? I know there are no guarantees or anything, but I'm just wondering if we stand to see some decent tennis and have fun soaking in the atmosphere (for free, no less :beer ). I guess next Friday is the better prospect, but I'm not sure if I will be able to go then. Plus if Monday's weather forecast is decent and next Friday turns out to be raining or something, I suppose I'll be happy to have gone on Monday!
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

rjbraun wrote:
EternalOptimist wrote:
I think the qualifiers begin this coming Monday. Is it worth going? I know there are no guarantees or anything, but I'm just wondering if we stand to see some decent tennis and have fun soaking in the atmosphere (for free, no less :beer ). I guess next Friday is the better prospect, but I'm not sure if I will be able to go then. Plus if Monday's weather forecast is decent and next Friday turns out to be raining or something, I suppose I'll be happy to have gone on Monday!
The qualies definitely start on Tues Aug 20 and run until I think Friday. If you want to see quality tennis and get a flavor of the Open atmosphere you should go. If you're looking to see Nadal or Federer then forget it. Sometimes the top players are there practicing. I've been going for years---good tennis, no crowds, free!!
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

Thanks, that's very helpful information. So Monday is out. I doubt I'll be able to attend midweek, unfortunately. So I will keep fingers crossed that Friday will work out. Definitely happy to just see quality tennis. Don't need to see or watch the big-name players. Thanks again
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

Beautiful day in NY, I'm off to the qualifiers...some good players today, Robbi Ginepri, Ivo Karlovic, Melanie Oudin, Shahar Peer. Good stuff :happy
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

EternalOptimist wrote:Beautiful day in NY, I'm off to the qualifiers...some good players today, Robbi Ginepri, Ivo Karlovic, Melanie Oudin, Shahar Peer. Good stuff :happy
Beautiful day indeed to watch some tennis. Apart from the rain forecast Thursday, it looks as if this will be a good week weather-wise. How nice to coincide with the qualifiers. I'm still hoping to attend on Friday. Hope you had a great time today!
swaption

Post by swaption »

EternalOptimist wrote:Beautiful day in NY, I'm off to the qualifiers...some good players today, Robbi Ginepri, Ivo Karlovic, Melanie Oudin, Shahar Peer. Good stuff :happy
Wow, definitely some quality players there. I remember a few years back Ginepri had a great run on the hard courts leading up to the open. Won't get to the qualifiers, but on the other end of the cost spectrum hosting a client event next Thursday. Men's tennis has had such a great run, such anticipation for each grand slam. Women's tennis on the other hand really needs some great players. Aside from Serena Williams, the women's draw is like the men's, but without the top 4 players. The women's champion at Wimbledon did not have to play anyone seeded higher than 15.
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

swaption wrote:
Wow, definitely some quality players there. I remember a few years back Ginepri had a great run on the hard courts leading up to the open. Won't get to the qualifiers, but on the other end of the cost spectrum hosting a client event next Thursday. Men's tennis has had such a great run, such anticipation for each grand slam. Women's tennis on the other hand really needs some great players. Aside from Serena Williams, the women's draw is like the men's, but without the top 4 players. The women's champion at Wimbledon did not have to play anyone seeded higher than 15.

Enjoy, I'm going back to the qualies tomorrow and the main next week. :beer
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

I'm glad I saw this thread. I'll be going on Friday, the 30th with a group of 5. I plan on taking the subway from manhattan (I live in NJ). Of course, events like these can be painful for the frugal who are used to bringing their own food, since they prohibit that. I figure we can leave and get something to eat off-site somewhere.

For those have been, how late do the matches usually go? Is it hard to say since the matches aren't time limited? We aren't going until about 4:30pm on Friday, and there are matches scheduled at 7pm, so I figure we would still get to watch a lot of tennis.
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

jasc15 wrote:I'm glad I saw this thread. I'll be going on Friday, the 30th with a group of 5. I plan on taking the subway from manhattan (I live in NJ). Of course, events like these can be painful for the frugal who are used to bringing their own food, since they prohibit that. I figure we can leave and get something to eat off-site somewhere.

For those have been, how late do the matches usually go? Is it hard to say since the matches aren't time limited? We aren't going until about 4:30pm on Friday, and there are matches scheduled at 7pm, so I figure we would still get to watch a lot of tennis.

First of all you can bring your own food in limited quantities and unopened drinks (no bottles, cans). If you have daytime tickets you can hang around the grounds late into the night. You need night time tickets for the 7 pm night time session in the main arena. Check out this website that covers everything you need to know. Enjoy!!

http://www.usopen.org/index.html
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

EternalOptimist wrote:
jasc15 wrote:I'm glad I saw this thread. I'll be going on Friday, the 30th with a group of 5. I plan on taking the subway from manhattan (I live in NJ). Of course, events like these can be painful for the frugal who are used to bringing their own food, since they prohibit that. I figure we can leave and get something to eat off-site somewhere.

First of all you can bring your own food in limited quantities and unopened drinks (no bottles, cans). If you have daytime tickets you can hang around the grounds late into the night. You need night time tickets for the 7 pm night time session in the main arena. Check out this website that covers everything you need to know. Enjoy!!

http://www.usopen.org/index.html
You mean glass bottles?
Otherwise, what other types of containers of unopened drinks would there be?
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

EternalOptimist wrote:
Sold. We went yesterday and had a great time! Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, Eternal. We hope to make it a regular event every year going forward. Having initially only attended the Open when I managed to get tickets (other than maybe one occasion, the seats were always way too far back) to then going with a Grounds pass, yesterday's qualies are definitely the way to go!

Thanks again to Bogleheads for the heads-up!
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

I went to opening night of the Open tonight and saw Serena Williams defeat Schiavone 6-0, 6-1 in less than an hour. The Federer match was postponed due to rain. Somehow I don't feel that I got my money's worth.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Almost over now. Note for future, I think given the current format, those grounds passes for the first week seem really good. I was there in a suite on the first Thursday during the day, but could have hung around until late at night for some quality matches, including Isner - Monfils in Louis Armstrong. Among others, I was second row Grandstand for Querrey. There were great matches on Court 17, which is a mini-stadium with lights so matches run relatively late. All in all, a $56 grounds pass would seem like a great way to go.