Nutrition Bars

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jay69

Nutrition Bars

Post by Jay69 »

Ok I admit I don't eat the best as I could. If it was not for my wonderful wife it would be much worse.

Most mornings I wake up and fill up my water dish and hit the road with a Fiber-One bar that I bought from Costco, http://www.generalmills.com/~/media/Ima ... utter.ashx.

When I look at the label it has a bunch of stuff that I have no clue to what they are really made of, sounds like a recipe for spray paint.

I would like to change this to a bar that has ingredients that I can spell, say and understand like almonds, blueberries, cane sugar, etc.

My Goggle search led to the best and worse of nutrition bars, http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/07/1 ... ion-bars-2 With the top bar being Kind Plus http://www.kindsnacks.com/products/kind ... fiber.html.

I would not mind making are own bars, a search at Allrecipes for "nutrition bars" retuned null, a search for Energy bars returned 13.

I would like to have a good health option of a bar to buy or make, any suggestions?
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
Igglesman

Re: Nutrition Bars

Post by Igglesman »

Cliff Kidz bar. Buy them off Amazon. All natural ingredients. No high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, hydrogenated oils. No sobitol or manitol or any of the "ols".
Lots of flavor choices. In my shopping most have the bad, undigestible sugars. Fiber one is not the best kind of fibre.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Quest bars are the best/healthiest that I've seen:

http://www.questproteinbar.com/
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

If you're going to buy them, I think Kind bars and Lara bars seem about the best as far as natural ingredients go. If you're searching for recipes, maybe try searching for protein bars or breakfast bars. I've never made them myself - I'm much more likely to make a smoothie for breakfast than worrying about bars.
Sarah
ursineogre

Post by ursineogre »

I second the Larabars. The ingredients are along the lines of "almonds, dates, pecans." They are kinda high in sugar, but at least the sugar is from dried fruit and not from corn, coy or sucralose.

If you want to make your own (and it isnt' that hard) check out this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-energy-bar-redux/
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

Larabars and Kit's Organic(Cliff Bar). :D
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Nutrition candy bars seems like an oxymoron.
Gordon
Mandrale

Post by Mandrale »

ursineogre wrote:I second the Larabars. The ingredients are along the lines of "almonds, dates, pecans." They are kinda high in sugar, but at least the sugar is from dried fruit and not from corn, coy or sucralose.

If you want to make your own (and it isnt' that hard) check out this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-energy-bar-redux/
Do they sell Larabars at general stores like Target / WalMart? OR where is the best place to get them?
Alf 101

Post by Alf 101 »

If you're looking for a DIY approach, some years back on "Good Eats", Alton Brown featured an energy/nutrition bar recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... index.html

This has been pretty successful option for me. I gravitated toward it in a search for something to eat for skiing (X-C); something different than the commercially available options, and potentially cheaper when made in bulk.

In my experience, this recipe is quite forgiving and can be treated as more of a template. If I can't find dried cherries, or balk at the price of dried blueberries, I've used apricots and/or raisins -- whatever is available. I've used filtered apple juice, cranberry juice, and grape juice. I've made it with whey protein powder, and without wheat germ.

The recipe states that these will remain good up to a week in an airtight container. I've found they also freeze well for a longer shelf life.
greensky

Post by greensky »

Mandrale wrote:Do they sell Larabars at general stores like Target / WalMart? OR where is the best place to get them?
We get them at CostCo.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Thanks everyone, will give a few of these a whirl.
gnosis

Post by gnosis »

Kind bars are delicious and they don't taste too healthy for you either, if you know what I mean. I get them by the dozens through Amazon.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

With a little more time with Google I see a few Larabar recipe's,

http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2013/05/reci ... -larabars/

http://cookieandkate.com/2013/homemade- ... mond-bars/

http://www.girlgonecountry.com/recipes- ... apple-pie/

Some good ideas here,

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocol ... aby-mania/

Looks like we are going to need some time in the kitchen!

Larabars must be the go to bar, when I did a search for it many recipes showed up.

Thanks again everyone,
RDB

Post by RDB »

My wife decided to go vegan for a couple months. It did not last long, but this recipe stuck with us. I have never had any interest in being vegan, but these are amazing, and really easy to make. We almost always have them in our freezer.

Averie’s Vegan No-Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bars

Ingredients

1 Ripe Banana (mashed)
1.5 c Oats
1/2 c Shredded Coconut (I used sweetened)
1/2 c Raisins (or date chunks, cranberries, craisins, dried cherries/mangoes/apricots/etc. Any dried fruit will work) **I THINK CRAISINS OR SOME VARIATION ARE THE BEST**
1/2 c Chocolate Chips (or carob, butterscotch, white chocolate chips, etc.)
1/2 c Maple Syrup (or agave, yacon syrup)
1/2 c Peanut Butter (or any nut butter, i.e. almond, pecan, cashew, etc.)

The Following Ingredients are Optional but I used them all:

2 to 4 scoops of Protein Powder (I used 2 heaping scoops of Sun Warrior Brown Rice Raw Vegan Protein Powder in Vanilla flavor. And if you don’t care about the protein aspect or don’t have on hand, just omit the Protein Powder all together)
2 Tbsp Flax Seeds
2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
1.5 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Yields: Approximately 10 decent sized bars
Note: The above are rough measurements and you can use the kitchen sink mentality on this recipe: a dash of this, a dab of that, don’t have this but have tons of that, throw everything in but the kitchen sink strategy and they will “work”. I promise.

Storage: I store mine in the freezer, individually wrapped, so I can grab and go as needed. They soften up quickly at room temp, and will keep for a month or more in the freezer.
LifeLearner

Post by LifeLearner »

Instead of searching for nutrition bar, if you search for protein bar recipes, I'm sure you're bound to find a ton. I've tried some before, and you can make them taste pretty good. I usually put in oats, honey, nuts, whey, and eggs, then I pop them in the oven. Not bad. Hard getting the texture right though.
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

gkaplan wrote:Nutrition candy bars seems like an oxymoron.
Dates, peanuts, sea salt - the ingredients in a peanut butter cookie LARABAR. Organic dates, organic peanuts, organic almonds, sea salt - the ingredients in the peanut butter Kit's Organic fruit and nut bar by Cliff. 8-)
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Another +1 for Kind bars. Many bars only have 5grams of sugar and I keep to a low-carb diet when not training.

However, Kind bars are not good as an energy bar for endurance sports. Too many hard-to-digest nuts and not enough sugar. Belly ache + bonking = bad day on the bike.
Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 »

I like these:

http://www.powercrunch.com

$1.28 @ Walmart, whey protein (13-14Gms), low sugar, no maltitol-like stuff.
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

Make a large batch of steel cut oatmeal and microwave it every morning. Eat bananas or fruit. Yogurt.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

RDB wrote:I THINK CRAISINS OR SOME VARIATION ARE THE BEST
Craisins and other dried cranberries are very good in anything. I use them instead of raisins all the time. In egg salad, rice salads, regular salads, cookies.
rayout

Post by rayout »

I am a huge fan of Oskri Coconut Bars: http://www.amazon.com/Oskri-Coconut-Ori ... oskri+bars

Balance of fat, protein and carbohydrate, to keep you going unlike most other products which are basically sugar sticks. Only two ingredients: rice syrup and coconut.

However if you want a cheap power up that keeps you going, drink some coconut milk (not the sweetened stuff, the canned stuff). I had one can before a tough mudder (10 mile obstacle course) and wasn't even hungry until about an hour afterwards.
HogsAndApples

Post by HogsAndApples »

May I suggest bananas or a baked potato. The latter keep great and are good hot or cold.
runner26

Post by runner26 »

I use the Hammer Nutrition Bars.

Ingrediant list for example, the Almond Raisain bar:
Certified Organic Ingredients: Organic Almond Butter, Organic Date Paste, Organic Agave Nectar, Organic Brown Rice Protein, Organic Bio Sprouts™ - Flax, Organic Raisins, Organic Bio Sprouts™ - Quinoa, Organic Sesame Seeds.

Nothing chemical or wierd.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... rgy-drinks
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

I saw some good reviews for this brand. I actually ordered some, but haven't received them yet. Apparently they make them as you order them.

If you are at all interested in a higher protein, less carb sort of bar--these sound interesting.

http://www.dalesrawfoods.com/
momar

Post by momar »

I got some of these to try. Nutritious and eco friendly.

http://chapul.com
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

snyder66 wrote:Make a large batch of steel cut oatmeal and microwave it every morning. Eat bananas or fruit. Yogurt.
This. If something comes in a wrapper and will keep on a shelf for months, I would not eat that every day.
CV

Post by CV »

I've always been fond of Milky Ways.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

4stripes wrote:
snyder66 wrote:Make a large batch of steel cut oatmeal and microwave it every morning. Eat bananas or fruit. Yogurt.
This. If something comes in a wrapper and will keep on a shelf for months, I would not eat that every day.

Agreed. A banana is as easy to eat as a protein bar.
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

Larabars are fantastic.
ThinkThin bars are good as well, although they have more ingredients which I'm not a fan of. I like simplicity - the less ingredients, the better. On that note, instead of eating bars, why not get some almonds, pistachios, and walnuts? It'll be cheaper and better for ya
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Or, if you have a rice cooker with a timer, have it cooked and waiting for you in the morning :D

EDITED TO CLARIFY: I meant the oatmeal, not the bananas, fruit, or yoghurt.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
ursineogre

Post by ursineogre »

Mandrale wrote:
ursineogre wrote:I second the Larabars. The ingredients are along the lines of "almonds, dates, pecans." They are kinda high in sugar, but at least the sugar is from dried fruit and not from corn, coy or sucralose.

Do they sell Larabars at general stores like Target / WalMart? OR where is the best place to get them?
Yes they are in the section with vitamins and toothpaste at Target. Not sure about Wally World.
Sweet Betsy

Post by Sweet Betsy »

I just found ProBars on a recent trip to Utah. They taste yummy and have real ingredients. They are made in Park City and I think relatively new. But you can buy them online.

I also enjoy Kind Bars as well.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

CV wrote:I've always been fond of Milky Ways.
Almond Joy. Sky Bars.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

The problem with these bars - high in caloric content, so if you're not going to burn it, then you can potentially pack on some weight.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I've tried both Kind bars and Larabars. I like Kind bars, but I never could get to like the taste of Larabars (and I tried several flavors since people were raving about this brand online). Maybe I'm just not a fan of dates, which seems to be the foundational ingredient in most Larabars.

My only complaint about the Kind bars is that they use whole almonds instead of chopped almonds in any flavor that has almonds. I have to plan my bites around the almonds. Still, I keep a pack of Kind Peanut Butter and Protein bars (with the whole almonds) at my office for days when I don't have time to pack a snack before work.
Mandrale wrote:Do they sell Larabars at general stores like Target / WalMart? OR where is the best place to get them?
Walmart has a 4 pack of Kind bars for about $4.50 (limited number of flavors) and I think Target still stocks Larabars for a similar price (also limited flavors).
tyrion wrote:Agreed. A banana is as easy to eat as a protein bar.
I love bananas, but as we say in my family, bananas do not love me. I get a terrible stomach ache unless the banana is overripe. Completely dappled with spots but before the bruising kicks in is about the only state in which I can eat a banana. Google tells me I'm not alone in this problem.
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

Are there any nutrition bars that provide what's in green vegetables ?

That is what my diet is sorely lacking.

Thanks
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I was in Trader Joe's last night after work. I picked up a Larabar. I read the label, and all it said on it was something general like "fruits and nuts." I looked and searched on the label for almost a minute and couldn't find an actual listing of ingredients.
Gordon
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

gkaplan wrote:I was in Trader Joe's last night after work. I picked up a Larabar. I read the label, and all it said on it was something general like "fruits and nuts." I looked and searched on the label for almost a minute and couldn't find an actual listing of ingredients.
Look under the flap on the foil wrapper. It's been a long while since I had a Larabar, but I seem to recall that they printed on both sides of the flap, not just the "top" side.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Not that anyone asked specifically, but here's my routine:

In am, in a blender (we have a vitamix, which makes it ribbon-smooth, but really, a blender is a blender)
In this order:

1 cup almonds
1 scoop protein powder (I use http://www.amazon.com/Harmonized-Protei ... an+protein

a handful of baby kale or spinach
2-3 bananas (depending upon size of batch)
1-2 cups frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango are all great)
Fill blender to level of the frozen fruit with unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Add a splash of natural apple juice (the stuff you can't see through)

This makes enough for a 20oz glass for breakfast for me, 12oz for DW, and about 30-40oz for lunch in a big thermos

Sticks to my ribs for 3-4 hours in the am, and I'm the type who usually has to eat every 2 hours.

On a hungry day, I mix in a Yogurt Honey Peanut Balance Bar mid morning or near lunch and save the remaining smoothie for early afternoon.
http://www.puritan.com/balance-bars-137 ... nut-023921

Lost about 8 pounds doing this and have held steady, despite eating like my heart desires on weekends.

That's a long way of saying I really like those Yogurt Honey Peanut Balance Bars. Target carries them in boxes of 6 or 8 (I forget) for $5.50 or so.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

woof755 : That's pretty much the same smoothie I make. I use hemp protein powder instead. Ingredients: Hemp. Love the Vtiamix!
woof755

Post by woof755 »

snyder66 wrote:woof755 : That's pretty much the same smoothie I make. I use hemp protein powder instead. Ingredients: Hemp. Love the Vtiamix!

A kindred spirit!

Love how the kale/spinach turn a mango/pineapple smoothie easter egg green!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

tyrion wrote:
4stripes wrote:

Agreed. A banana is as easy to eat as a protein bar.
I've never understood the "nutrition bar" thing, similarly the fascination with "gu" in endurance sports. There are some nutritiously dense bars out there, but eating the whole food is much cheaper, better tasting, and less calorically dense. A banana, handful of almonds, and some whey protein provides a lot more nutrition for the cost, and is significantly more satiating per kcal. A lot of processing and additives are necessary to create the right texture with bars, don't personally understand what benefit it provides other than some may prefer the taste.

Endurance athletes spend crazy sums on simple sugars when a packet of honey, scoop of maltodextrin in water, or even a baked sweet potato would provide the same nutrition (and be nearly as portable and easy on the stomach) for a fraction of the cost.