Wrist Watches

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Offshore

Wrist Watches

Post by Offshore »

I'm not much of a watch guy, but I think today's Groupon (in my area) may be a good value. 88% discount on various wrist watches by Akribos XXIV, August Steiner and Joshua and Sons.

I like the look of the August Steiner best, but have never heard of any of these makers. All watches are said to retail around $495, and are being sold from $59 to $85.

Can someone comment on the reputation and quality of these watch makers?
Toons

Re: Wrist Watches

Post by Toons »

I guess If I was to purchase a Joshua and Sons watch I would check Amazon and scour the reviews :happy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... Caps%2C219
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
mhc

Post by mhc »

If you are not much of a watch guy, then why would you spend that much money on a watch, even if it is on sale?
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

There's been a trend of watch companies who claim retail values of about 500 bucks, but then they're are sold everywhere at deep discounts, similar to what your Groupon is offering.

Amazon is a great place to compare prices and, more important, read customer reviews. Don't just go by the star ratings, because what's important to you is often different than what's critical to others.

Here's Amazon's listing of 249 August Steiner watches:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... 2941120011

And here's the August Steiner listing of 138 from World of Watches:
http://www.worldofwatches.com/August-St ... store_id=1
I've had good customer experiences ordering from them.

Personally, I'd rather buy a watch from Amazon, because their customer service is wonderful if you have any issues.

PS I am a watch person...
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I've never used them, and really don't see the need these days. Almost everywhere I look there's something that keeps time, computer, TV, microwave, car. In a pinch I use my IPOD.

Brian
Last edited by Default User BR on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

My battery died on my 15 year old Seiko yesterday. i could not open the case so had to go to local jeweler to get a replacement. We talked a little about quality of watches. Seiko uses all metal parts and is hand made. Most lower priced watches have at least some plastic parts and will last only a few years if you are lucky. Some of cheaper watches are made in a totally automated process. A quality watch like Seiko typically lasts a very long time. It seems the old adage, you get what you pay for, applies.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

my wife bought a watch that had a "list price" over $800 but she got it for under $100. so yeah, look out for inflated list prices.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Twenty plus years using a $20 Casio. Still runs fine.
Gordon
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

I found it fascinating a few years ago when I realized hip people don't wear watches anymore. If they want to know what time it is they pull out their smartphone.

That is, we went from wrist watches back to pocket watches.

Now everybody who is anybody is planning on buying an iWatch. For their wrist.

Remarkable.

PJW
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I agree that there is not much use for watches any longer. I only wear a very light weight Timex watch when with my grandson at his activities. I do not like wearing a weight on my wrist. I also looked at my cell phone for time occasionally. The time is shown in many places like computers, home and car any way.
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

mhc wrote:If you are not much of a watch guy, then why would you spend that much money on a watch, even if it is on sale?
This site is extremely useful, but the amount of condescending, judgmental remarks get very old.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Default User BR wrote:I've never used them, and really don't see the need these days. Almost everywhere I look there's something that keeps time, computer, TV, microwave, car. In a pinch I use my IPOD.

Brian
A digital wrist watch is more available than a smartphone. It does not have to be pulled out, and batteries don't run out for years. It's also less likely to be snatched.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

mhc wrote:If you are not much of a watch guy, then why would you spend that much money on a watch, even if it is on sale?
$59 - $85 is a lot for a watch?
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
DiscoBunny1979

Post by DiscoBunny1979 »

I paid something like $395 (more or less plus Macy*s discount) for my Citizen Eco-drive Chron stainless steel banded watch with black face - looks amazing and I can tell the difference between an inexpensive watch like Timex compared to the one I have. While this Citizen might not compare to high end watches, you certainly get what you pay for when paying a little more. But just like shopping for a car, you have to know what you're buying in terms of form and function.
ataloss

Post by ataloss »

I like Citizens. Just bought a titanium eco drive atomic.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Invicta is a watch brand this is almost always 80-90% off list. The list is meaningless - I have about 12 "Chinatown" watches that work/look great and cost about $20 each (bought over the years), one medium and one high end antique watch (that is a family heirloom that I wear at special occasions). The markup on watches is enormous, so most of mine are disposable. However, I do have my two good ones that I enjoy.

Sales on watches are ubiquitous - especially the ones that have absurd suggested retail prices (see below).

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-1517-Forc ... ds=invicta
http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-90242-002 ... ds=invicta
http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-1514-Forc ... ds=invicta

I would never pay more than 15% of the MSRP for an invicta watch, because the MSRP is a fantasy.

Here's one at "90% off" -- get real.
http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-1091-Mech ... ds=invicta
skylar

Post by skylar »

I've been using Timex Expedition wrist watches for years. They have multiple alarms, and the alarms can be set to sound daily, just on weekends, or just on weekdays. This means I never have to think to set an alarm clock - I just have my work alarm set all the time. They cost <$30 and last for a very long time.
Default User BR

VictoriaF wrote:
Default User BR wrote:I've never used them, and really don't see the need these days. Almost everywhere I look there's something that keeps time, computer, TV, microwave, car. In a pinch I use my IPOD.
A digital wrist watch is more available than a smartphone. It does not have to be pulled out, and batteries don't run out for years. It's also less likely to be snatched.
But when do I need one? At home? Nope. At work? Nope. In the Bronco? Nope. Maybe at the store. So why add another piece of equipment? For the rare times I need it, the IPOD will do.

Brian
Timoneer

Post by Timoneer »

Not too many decades ago, the selling point of expensive watch brands was their precision. A cheap watch was a lousy timekeeper. You had to spend a lot to get a watch that kept very accurate time.

Now, almost every watch keeps fantastic time. The cheap $10.88 ones at Walmart are every bit as good timekeepers as the prestige watches of yesteryear. The price discriminator is just its Bling value. You pay more mostly to get a nice looking piece of jewelry.

I tend to be tough on watches, and frequently scratch up the face. For casual everyday use, I prefer to buy a cheap model that I don't mind replacing every few years.
Ged

Post by Ged »

ataloss wrote:I like Citizens. Just bought a titanium eco drive atomic.
I have two eco drive Citizens myself. One is 11 years old and is still running well. It's accurate +/- one minute per year. I recently purchased an eco drive atomic mostly because I was bored with the first one and wanted a little variety. Also the crystal is a bit scratched and I'll probably send it in for refurbishing soon so I want a backup.

The idea of a smartphone for time seems to be a bit of a pain. While I have one I don't carry it all that often.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I love the story of Jack Bogle's $12 watch.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
wastenot

Post by wastenot »

Personally, I believe Casio meets all of the requirements to be deemed the Official Bogleheads Watch.

My last one cost about $20 and I have had it for five years or so. The plastic wristband usually wears out before the watch's innards expire from old age.

And at restaurants I usually order the Boglehead Special, but sometimes I just get so tired of eating bread and water. (Joke, but not by much) 8-)
OneWorld111

Post by OneWorld111 »

I have used worldofwatches.com.

Never had any issues and the watch has worked just fine over last 5 years.

energy2111
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

wastenot wrote:Personally, I believe Casio meets all of the requirements to be deemed the Official Bogleheads Watch.

My last one cost about $20 and I have had it for five years or so. The plastic wristband usually wears out before the watch's innards expire from old age.

You can get it for $10.38 on Amazon.com.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

VictoriaF wrote: A digital wrist watch is more available than a smartphone. It does not have to be pulled out, and batteries don't run out for years. It's also less likely to be snatched.
And if it's an analog watch with nice, big hands on a contrasting background, then I don't need to put on my reading glasses to see what time it is. :-)

8-)
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

JupiterJones wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: A digital wrist watch is more available than a smartphone. It does not have to be pulled out, and batteries don't run out for years. It's also less likely to be snatched.
And if it's an analog watch with nice, big hands on a contrasting background, then I don't need to put on my reading glasses to see what time it is. :-)

8-)
The main advantage of digital watches is that you know time up to the second and don't have to interpolate it from the hand locations. Many digital watches have large displays and back-lighting. Ultimately, having a hand in the watch or considering the reading glasses half-empty is a personal choice.

Victoria
Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo »

I would not buy anything other than a Timex Indiglo watch. The light button makes for a perfect nightlight if I need to see my way in the dark to other rooms in the middle of the night or if I lose electricity I can find my way to the flashlight. You can shower with it, get it wet, and it keeps on ticking and I've worn nothing else for years. So buy a cool band to make it fancy!
Macmungo

Post by Macmungo »

For everyday wear I use a cheap Casio digital that shows the date, the day and the month. For special occasions I wear my old Rolex, bought in Zurich in 1970 for $300 and now going for $1000 on EBay. It's too good for everyday use, but it's been a thing of beauty and a joy since 1970.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

likegarden wrote:I agree that there is not much use for watches any longer. I only wear a very light weight Timex watch when with my grandson at his activities. I do not like wearing a weight on my wrist. I also looked at my cell phone for time occasionally. The time is shown in many places like computers, home and car any way.
I have a Timex; it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. If it was good enough for John Cameron Swayze, it's good enough for me. How old am I.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

VictoriaF wrote:
The main advantage of digital watches is that you know time up to the second and don't have to interpolate it from the hand locations. Many digital watches have large displays and back-lighting. Ultimately, having a hand in the watch or considering the reading glasses half-empty is a personal choice.

Victoria
I can't recall the last time I needed to know the time to the exact second.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

I am on my third Casio since 1980 -- the last being the most expensive at $32.
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

To the OP, wristwatches, especially in the sub $200 market has often has grossly inflated MSRPs. None of the brands you listed have a great reputation.

In the sub $50 quartz segment, I would stick with Timex or a bottom rung Casio. There are really no sub $50 mechanical watches that are reliable and I would only buy one as a hobby watch if you are a tinkerer.

In the sub $150 quartz segment, I would stick with Seiko or Citizen or one of the Casios with expanded functionality. If you are looking at sub $150 mechanical watches, stick to Seiko. You can find Seiko 5s for under $100 and nicer divers like the SKX007, SKX009, Monster at around $200.

Starting around $300, you can start getting in to the bottom rung Swiss quartz (Tissot, Hamilton, Boutique brands). Around $450 you can start getting Swiss mechanicals.

After that its a different ballgame.

One thing I would recommend is look at used watches on various watch forums. Watches, like cars, go through some killer depreciation (save a few brands like Rolex and Patek Phillipe due to the vintage collectors market).

One website I like is watchrecon.com which aggregates all the watchforum sell postings. Obviously, you will have to put more work in and research the sellers as there are a small percentage of scammers with anything of this nature.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

I wore Timexes for years. Twenty-four bucks each. Lasted three to four years. Usually had to changed out the battery once.

At the three to four year mark the time piece usually stopped keeping accurate track of the hours and I tossed it away to get a new one. This pattern continued until my wife gifted me with a Seiko which has lasted more than four years.

Why anybody lusts after expensive wrist wear escapes me, but different strokes for different folks, as the saying goes. My kids don't bother with wrist watches. They check the time on their smart phones. I'm tied to the ancient ways, I guess.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

frugaltype wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
It's an acquired taste.

Victoria
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

Macmungo wrote:For everyday wear I use a cheap Casio digital that shows the date, the day and the month.
This reminds me of a comment on watches that Andy Rooney once made - if I don't know what day it is, then why would I care what time it is?
Phineas J. Whoopee

VictoriaF wrote:
frugaltype wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
It's an acquired taste.

Victoria
I believe that taste is only relative to the flavor of something else.

The best I can ever do with the NIST / USNO clock claims to be within .1 to .2 seconds.

Then I have to set my watch properly and wait to hit the button.

I'm pretty sure I don't have sub-100ms reaction time.

So what is the exact second I'm reading relative to?

Nothing.

PJW
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
frugaltype wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
It's an acquired taste.

Victoria
You can eat seconds.

Victoria
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Is a Bulova a good watch?
Cycle37

Post by Cycle37 »

You can't beat Swatch watches for style, durability and dependability. A nice one goes for $50.00.
amoeba

Post by amoeba »

Bulova in general are good watches for the money but it can be model dependent. Bulova is owned entirely by Citizen and build quality is good. I am a big fan of their Precisionist line as it is a quartz watch with that has super accuracy for its price range (ie, its going to be more accurate than most quartz watches aside from thermocompensated ones) and has the novelty of a smooth sweeping seconds hand as opposed to a ticking seconds hand (usually quartz watches only have ticking seconds hands for battery saving reasons and smooth seconds hands are typically only found in mechanical watches). They do tend to be on the bigger side and be slightly fashion forward but if you have the wrist to pull it off, could be a good choice. I'm a fan of the Bulova Precisionist Claremont.

Post the exact model you are considering, if you already have something picked out.
Phineas J. Whoopee

VictoriaF wrote:
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
frugaltype wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
It's an acquired taste.

Victoria
You can eat seconds.

Victoria
Irrelevant if they need to be reheated, which takes minutes.
PJW
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

VictoriaF wrote: The main advantage of digital watches is that you know time up to the second and don't have to interpolate it from the hand locations. Many digital watches have large displays and back-lighting. Ultimately, having a hand in the watch or considering the reading glasses half-empty is a personal choice.

frugaltype wrote: I can't recall the last time I needed to know the time to the exact second.

VictoriaF wrote: It's an acquired taste.

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: I believe that taste is only relative to the flavor of something else.

VictoriaF wrote:You can eat seconds.

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Irrelevant if they need to be reheated, which takes minutes.
But if the others propose skip reheating, I second the motion.

Victoria
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

VictoriaF wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: The main advantage of digital watches is that you know time up to the second and don't have to interpolate it from the hand locations. Many digital watches have large displays and back-lighting. Ultimately, having a hand in the watch or considering the reading glasses half-empty is a personal choice.

frugaltype wrote: I can't recall the last time I needed to know the time to the exact second.

VictoriaF wrote: It's an acquired taste.

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: I believe that taste is only relative to the flavor of something else.

VictoriaF wrote:You can eat seconds.

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: Irrelevant if they need to be reheated, which takes minutes.
But if the others propose skip reheating, I second the motion.

Victoria
Good show, you two! :D
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
chaz

Post by chaz »

Is this a movement?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

chaz wrote:Is this a movement?
It's sleight of the second hand.

Victoria
Default User BR

MarkNYC wrote:This reminds me of a comment on watches that Andy Rooney once made - if I don't know what day it is, then why would I care what time it is?
You have lunch every day, but not every hour. You don't want to miss lunch!

Brian
Default User BR

You need fifty people a day singing a bar of Alice's Restaurant to have a movement.

Or a big bowl of chili.

Brian (You can get anything you want . . . )
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

Thanks for the thoughts. I haven't decided on a Bulova yet but they seem to be reasonably priced.
telemark

Post by telemark »

VictoriaF wrote:Ultimately, having a hand in the watch or considering the reading glasses half-empty is a personal choice.

Victoria
The reading glasses have a 100% safety margin.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Default User BR wrote:
You need fifty people a day singing a bar of Alice's Restaurant to have a movement.

Or a big bowl of chili.

Brian (You can get anything you want . . . )
My watch has a good movement.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page