Fidelity Full View

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
texas_archer

Fidelity Full View

Post by texas_archer »

Not sure how many of you use this feature at Fidelity. But, Ive been using it for about 2 years now and find it a very powerful tool to keep up with expenses and account balances all in one location.

Anyway, Fidelity updated Full View this weekend and its now almost useless. Ok, not useless, but not as user friendly as it once was.
Sunny Sarkar

Re: Fidelity Full View

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

Full View is just a Fidelity branded view of Yodlee MoneyCenter, which is freely available at yodlee.com (& is better IMHO).
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

the problem i have with this as well as other congregation sites is if the congregation site is hacked passwords to all sites are thus exposed.
cosimdm

Post by cosimdm »

I :( have never considered myself to be stupid, but the new FullView is inoperable, in my opinion. I can't figure out how to get my usual information.
cosimdm

Re: Fidelity Full View/update from fidelity

Post by cosimdm »

I just called Fidelity. The young man couldn't help me as he didn't know how to use it either. We went through some tab openings to no avail. All I want is to get my aggregated holdings, and total net worth on one page so I can print it out. it seems to be impossible. I suggest everyone effected to call and complain to Fidelity. This is like the new Coke.
Topic Author
texas_archer

Post by texas_archer »

I sent them a email before I came here and posted. The new Full View also does not work on the ipad.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

I prefer Fidelity Full view over the VG equivalent (now no longer available to new accounts).
Scotttheking

Re: Fidelity Full View/update from fidelity

Post by Scotttheking »

cosimdm wrote:I just called Fidelity. The young man couldn't help me as he didn't know how to use it either. We went through some tab openings to no avail. All I want is to get my aggregated holdings, and total net worth on one page so I can print it out. it seems to be impossible. I suggest everyone effected to call and complain to Fidelity. This is like the new Coke.
My Accounts > Investments Manager gets you the list. However, there's no longer a "printable view" option, and the embedded frame makes it not print well. If you right click within the frame and select print this frame (specifics vary by browser) it'll get you close.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

I too liked the layout better before the "upgrade". I stretched the box out the whole way on the Net Worth Statement to get it somewhat similar to the old page. Back when I was using the Yodlee site, you could run an older version. Wish Fidelity would give you that option. I stated using Full View since it was about the same and one less login to remember. I'm not sure if the new layout is bad enough to switch back though.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

I used to use FullView but now prefer the Vanguard product (CashEdge) because it integrates well with their Portfolio Watch product.

Not sure why Vanguard stopped offering the CashEdge to new accounts. I would like to use it with several people I advise.
bUU

Post by bUU »

I just saw the new Full View. It looks like a significant improvement in look and feel.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Yeah, I try and cut folks slack when a change comes because that is naturally hard but this appears to make the tool less useful. It is more pleasing to the eye on your computer but I am having problems figure out how to get to a good printable view and how to refresh all the data when I so choose. Have only played with it for a handful of minutes but these things should be easy and not buried somewhere.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
bUU

Post by bUU »

I just posted a more comprehensive assessment elsewhere:
First, I think the changes are an improvement. The changes seem to have been made based on the preferences of clients like me rather than clients like you; that happens. Sometimes I find myself on the opposite side of things, myself.

Second, to refresh, there is an update link on each account. It was stupid to have a Refresh All: It is wasteful to incur the cost of making connection with dozens of external services for the user to review one or two updates. If I managed any of those external services, I would have cut Yodlee off for having such a bone-headed capability in its service.

Third, I have no problem putting my accounts and transactions side-by-side. Click and hold the header of the transaction box, and drag it to the top of the right side. Voila.

I see a lot of promise with the new "Full View Apps" feature. I'm hoping they'll add a real Asset Allocation app soon. I am looking forward to what other application they eventually come up with, since this seems to be designed for extensibility. I'm also hoping that now that this update is completed, they can focus some time on working out the incompatibility issues with Computerserve.

Full View is far from Fidelity's best feature (that would be RIP, and Bill Pay is also superlatively good, as is the research, insights, etc. - Full View was very far down the list as it was.) However, I see this change as a significant improvement to Full View. I'm sorry you don't share that appreciation.
matjen

Post by matjen »

bUU wrote:I just posted a more comprehensive assessment elsewhere:
First, I think the changes are an improvement. The changes seem to have been made based on the preferences of clients like me rather than clients like you; that happens. Sometimes I find myself on the opposite side of things, myself.

Second, to refresh, there is an update link on each account. It was stupid to have a Refresh All: It is wasteful to incur the cost of making connection with dozens of external services for the user to review one or two updates. If I managed any of those external services, I would have cut Yodlee off for having such a bone-headed capability in its service.

Third, I have no problem putting my accounts and transactions side-by-side. Click and hold the header of the transaction box, and drag it to the top of the right side. Voila.

I see a lot of promise with the new "Full View Apps" feature. I'm hoping they'll add a real Asset Allocation app soon. I am looking forward to what other application they eventually come up with, since this seems to be designed for extensibility. I'm also hoping that now that this update is completed, they can focus some time on working out the incompatibility issues with Computerserve.

Full View is far from Fidelity's best feature (that would be RIP, and Bill Pay is also superlatively good, as is the research, insights, etc. - Full View was very far down the list as it was.) However, I see this change as a significant improvement to Full View. I'm sorry you don't share that appreciation.
Thanks for the update tip. I see it now. It appears when you are in the Account Summary view but not the Dashboard View. I would prefer that you just be able to update all rather than have to look at them all to figure out which needs to be updated (between my wife and I there are a lot of accounts) but I understand your point.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

I looked at it over the weekend like the OP Originally, it looks like they did not initially do a full conversion. So while your accounts were present they were not populated through the sections. This morning I looked and it is far better.

So for the people who looked over the weekend, check back today.

Those that just looked at it this morning for the first time, understand that the people who looked over the weekend saw a far different result.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

To use it, do you need to disclose passwords giving online access to your financial information at other firms? Back when the Internet was young and Financial Engines was free to everyone, I did this once with Financial Engines and suffered no known ill consequences, but I now think I was an idiot to do that and would never ever ever ever do it again.

The whole point of a password is that you don't disclose it. Ever. Once you start saying "I will decide on a case-by-case basis whether to disclose this particular password to this particular trusted party" you are heading down the slippery slope.

Just as one example of why this sort of thing is unwise. Once upon a time there was a dot-com named eToys.com with a very simple, satisfactory privacy policy. It said eToys would not sell, rent, loan or transfer any personal information regarding customers or their children to any unrelated third parties. And the site had a spiffy TRUSTe seal certifying that TRUSTe had audited their practices and was telling the truth. And as soon as eToys stumbled and was facing bankruptcy, one of the first assets they tried to sell off was their customer information. In short, the privacy policy and the TRUSTe seal meant nothing at all, because the privacy policy was only good until the instant it wasn't.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bUU

Post by bUU »

If you don't want to "disclose" a password to an aggregation service, don't use an aggregation service. Similarly, you'll also need to refrain from using password lockers with cloud storage. Your choice.
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

matjen wrote:
bUU wrote:I just posted a more comprehensive assessment elsewhere:

Thanks for the update tip. I see it now. It appears when you are in the Account Summary view but not the Dashboard View. I would prefer that you just be able to update all rather than have to look at them all to figure out which needs to be updated (between my wife and I there are a lot of accounts) but I understand your point.

When I opened Full View in Dashboard View my accounts were not updated. I clicked on Account Summary & all the accounts updated.
chicks

Post by chicks »

Just discovered this on my Fidelity 401K site. I've tried a number of these tools. Personal Capital, IMHO, is by far the best. Fidelity Full View just seems clumsy and lacking features in comparison. Personal Capital only bugs you to use their paid services a couple of times before leaving you alone.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

texas_archer wrote:Not sure how many of you use this feature at Fidelity. But, Ive been using it for about 2 years now and find it a very powerful tool to keep up with expenses and account balances all in one location.

Anyway, Fidelity updated Full View this weekend and its now almost useless. Ok, not useless, but not as user friendly as it once was.
Same thing happened a couple of years ago, which is when I stopped using it. I guess they improved and de-improved it at least once since. :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I used it in the past. Also have used Personal Capital, Mint, and the Vanguard tool. In addition to the additional password exposure, there's also the hassle of updating the passwords in the aggregation tool. I'm in the process of updating my passwords and migrating to LastPass. I deleted my Personal Capital account, and thanks to this thread providing a reminder, just deleted my Full View account at Fidelity. Haven't cut the cord completely on Mint yet, but am primarily using it to facilitate checking for fraudulent credit card activity (when I first set up Mint, I discovered a fraudulent CC charge).

None of the tools have provided suitable asset allocation management, for which I prefer my custom-built spreadsheet.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
telemark

Post by telemark »

bUU wrote:If you don't want to "disclose" a password to an aggregation service, don't use an aggregation service. Similarly, you'll also need to refrain from using password lockers with cloud storage. Your choice.
Not at all similar, in fact completely different. A properly designed password locker never knows your passwords, nor does it need to. An aggregation service must know them and so is unavoidably much less secure.

Edit to add: now that I think about it, it would be possible to design a more secure aggregator: it would have to run locally on your PC using a master password that the main site never sees. I'm fairly sure Yodlee doesn't work that way, but I might be wrong.
bUU

Post by bUU »

The password lockers I was referring to are indeed similar.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Note that if you forget your LastPass master password, you are well and truly out of luck. LastPass can't help you: they don't know it either and no one can read your data without it. In contrast, if you forget your Yodlee password, you just need to talk a representative into resetting your password and you're back in business. This is an important difference that users of these services should understand.

One is secure, the other isn't.